Patty Kazmaier 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patty Kazmaier 2014

The second half underway. Your nominees...favorites etc.

Hope commentary can remain positive at all times.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: Patty Kazmaier 2014

Spotlight stories to date on the Kaz site:

Sarah Lefort

Alex Rigsby

Jamie Lee Rattray

Hannah Brandt
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Spotlight stories to date on the Kaz site:
      Also, a good discussion at the end of this week's Wednesday Women: http://www.uscho.com/2014/01/29/wedn...-a-chessboard/
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Also, a good discussion at the end of this week's Wednesday Women: http://www.uscho.com/2014/01/29/wedn...-a-chessboard/
        From the column, concur with this list pretty completely:

I still like Rattray, Babstock, Bestland, Brandt, Rigsby, and Maschmeyer from my December list. Ambrose is moved up from a maybe, and same for Bona, but that could change should one of her senior teammates, Davis or Terry, have a huge weekend. As of now, Saulnier is ahead of Emily Fulton. I’ll complete the list with Skarupa if she gets back into action and makes a big impact, or Lefort if Skarupa remains on the sidelines and the Terriers awake. That makes my current list: Rattray, Babstock, Bestland, Brandt, Rigsby, Maschmeyer, Ambrose, Bona, Saulnier, and Skarupa/Lefort. Others like Fulton, Howe, Davis, Terry, Vint, and Ammerman are waiting in the wings and could still demand recognition with their on-ice play.
        With an addendum that based on their season thus far the "others" merit consideration equal to those listed as current primary contenders for Arlan. As always...it'll be difficult to select the ten nominees with extremely worthy players left out.

I might have a couple of the others on a current list of primary contenders of my own, or I believe one could easily make a valid case on their behalf...but of course I see little of the players outside the WCHA.
        Last edited by brookyone; 01-29-2014, 03:24 PM.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

My quick gut reaction is Rigsby.

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
          WCHA Playoff Champions:
          NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
          NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Another snippet or two and a few comments:

Candace: Sure. Jamie Lee Rattray of Clarkson is still the frontrunner in my mind, and if she keeps playing like she has been, I would expect her to be one of the final three, and probably the winner.
            Arlan: If anything, my Kazmaier list is more up in the air than it was back in December........
            Can Clarkson get three players in the top 10? Howe’s numbers are comparable to those of Amanda Leveille. The two are roughly equivalent in minutes played, goals-against average, save percentage, and shutouts. Leveille has a big advantage in wins and winning percentage, so Howe would need a boost from being a senior and having the bigger career body of work.
            Interesting to note that Rattray, Howe and Leveille all came from the same minor hockey program, the Junior Sens. I've seen Rattray play since she was like 8 or 9 years old. Always been that "High Energy" and "Loves the game" type of player with tons of skill. Her "hard shot" was well known, even at a young age.

Comment

Obviously it should go to Sara Bauer.

Then Howe or Rattray.
              (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
                Obviously it should go to Sara Bauer.
                Wish granted: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Sara-Bauer.jpg

Comment

I am always baffled by the picks, I would love to see any of the selections play on a team where they didn't have help and see how they would hold up? Oh, Im not saying that they aren't very talented but, Rigsby while a good goalie she has "like so many of the big names" had the road greased for them" I wonder how a Rigsby, Carpenter, Rattray, Howe would fare if they were the only real talent on a team? Most of the big names seem to go to the hockey talent rich schools and shine! very few go to or are selected from academic institutions where they might be the only truly talented player? Put Rigsby, Howe or Machimeyer at Brown would they still have the great numbers? After losing time and time again would they have the stomach to stay in it? What about a Carpenter, Skrupa, Brandt or? what if they didn't have anyone to pass to or that played close to their level? If they were on the losing end 50+% of the time how would they hold up? Just wondering why the players/goalies that continue to fight through those challenges are over looked? just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post
                    I am always baffled by the picks, I would love to see any of the selections play on a team where they didn't have help and see how they would hold up? Oh, Im not saying that they aren't very talented but, Rigsby while a good goalie she has "like so many of the big names" had the road greased for them" I wonder how a Rigsby, Carpenter, Rattray, Howe would fare if they were the only real talent on a team? Most of the big names seem to go to the hockey talent rich schools and shine! very few go to or are selected from academic institutions where they might be the only truly talented player? Put Rigsby, Howe or Machimeyer at Brown would they still have the great numbers? After losing time and time again would they have the stomach to stay in it? What about a Carpenter, Skrupa, Brandt or? what if they didn't have anyone to pass to or that played close to their level? If they were on the losing end 50+% of the time how would they hold up? Just wondering why the players/goalies that continue to fight through those challenges are over looked? just wondering
                    So you're baffled that good teams have good players on them that get recognition......yeah I'm baffled too. Do you want the PK to go to someone that is 40th in scoring or 25th in save percentage?

From pattykaz.com

An award of The USA Hockey Foundation, the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award is presented annually to the top player in NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey. Other selection criteria include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey. Consideration is also given to academic achievement and civic involvement.

The award selection process begins in February, when NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey head coaches are asked to nominate players for the award. Players who are nominated by two or more coaches are then placed on an official ballot, which is sent back to the coaches to vote for the top 10 finalists. An independent accounting firm tabulates the ballots.

The three finalists, as well as the recipient of the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, are chosen by a 13-member selection committee comprised of NCAA Division I women’s ice hockey head coaches, representatives of the print and broadcast media, at-large members and representatives of USA Hockey, the National Governing Body for the sport of ice hockey in the United States.
                    So who would you nominate that the coaches are missing?

Comment

a couple of players few outside of U of MN fans or WCHA fans have heard of:
                      Rachel Bona & Sarah Davis, among the nations leaders in scoring & among the best forwards at D too.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        a couple of players few outside of U of MN fans or WCHA fans have heard of:
                        Rachel Bona & Sarah Davis, among the nations leaders in scoring & among the best forwards at D too.
                        KT? I'm beginning to think she's the best two way player I've seen. She dismantles countless opponents offensive rushes.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Has Rigsby's chance to win been scuttled by the games she missed due to injury?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                            KT? I'm beginning to think she's the best two way player I've seen. She dismantles countless opponents offensive rushes.
                            I agree. She is a very dynamic and exciting player to watch. From afar.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Has Rigsby's chance to win been scuttled by the games she missed due to injury?
                              Not in my opinion. Missing a bunch of games is always a hurdle, but Kessel missed a few last year and still won. However, because Desbiens' performance was so strong, it does give evidence to a position that Rigsby's success is partly attributable to the team in front of her. It is similar to the 2006-07 season where Dufour and Vetter were the top two goalies in the country statistically. It becomes a question of how much is it the play of the goalie and how much is the team defense? That's always tough to sort out, but it is unlikely that the two most talented goalies wind up in the same place at the same time.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X