Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Looking forward to another big weekend of hockey with two more at home for the Wildcats, as those 'Cats from just west of here come into town for an important series. UVM was idle this past weekend, so there may be some competitive rust evident in the early going, so it's up to UNH to come out quickly tonight and take control of things, and set the tone for the rest of the weekend. Build on the momentum from last weekend's Notre Dame sweep, and keep pushing to try to solidify a top 4 regular season finish. UNH is only a single point behind the two teams tied for second place; Northeastern has only one game this weekend (home tonight vs. UMass), and could be looking ahead to Monday's Beanpot Finals vs. BC, while UMass Lowell is on the road for a pair (BU & UMass).

So it's possible that with another strong performance this weekend, UNH could move up as high as 2nd place in the HE standings. As far as the teams just behind ... Providence has the weekend off, and UMaine is traveling to South Bend for a pair with the Irish. I'm going to predict the Black Bears will pull off a split against what I continue to feel is a very overrated Notre Dame team, and in doing so notch their first road win of the season. But if that doesn't happen ... there could be some separation between the top 4-5 teams and the rest of the league when things are done for the weekend on Saturday night.

From UVM's perspective ... this is probably their last shot at crawling back into contention for HE home ice, but they would need to sweep UNH to get back to .500, and they've still got a pretty daunting run-in (2 vs. BC, 2 @ Merrimack, 2 vs. UML) so they're running out of time and opportunities. In addition to being inactive last weekend, they're finishing up a stretch of 8 road games, and so far they've split their last three weekends away. A split this weekend does UVM even less good than it would for UNH. Split weekends are no way for any team to make up ground at this time of the season, so UVM should be coming here with tons of intensity.

Prediction? UNH wins on Friday night, but can't seal the deal on Saturday night (loss or tie). A three point weekend from UNH would guarantee them no worse than a tie for 3rd place by the end of the weekend, and a sweep could get them into 2nd place if UML falters in either of their road games. A two point weekend is a lost opportunity, and puts home ice in jeopardy again. Anything less than two points this weekend for UNH would be a huge setback, and puts the entire postseason outlook in serious jeopardy.

It would be a great time for another "statement weekend" like last weekend. It's all there for the taking. Make it happen.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
      Now I'm just playing devil's advocate here but.... Colleges recruit kids at such a young age today(15,16,17). And usually they don't plan on attending their school for 2-3 years out. Then don't you think it would be the responsibility of the athlete/ coaches to make sure they get all of their academic requirements taken care of? I think that is doable when they have a couple years to prepare and make sure they are in compliance with their academic requirements. If they need to take an extra year of a language they should be able to get that done.

Now saying a good number of the Canadian players would be eliminated is kinda a stretch. Wouldn't those players just take an extra year of a language if they needed to? I don't think that would make or break their decision to come to UNH. I don't think the UNH's requirements are too ridiculous compared to other schools. In fact they're probably on par with other schools(I doubt there's more requirements than BC,Yale,Harvard,PC,ND). I'm sure a lot of players back then and today probably already take at least two years of a language because I feel like most schools require at least that. Maybe those great players from Canada did take two years of a language even though they only needed one for UNH. Saying they would or wouldn't come b/c of that is a big assumption that could only really be answered by talking to one of them or getting a hold of their high school transcript. But if that was the requirement back then I would hope they would just take an extra year of a language like the Canadians are doing today. Not an outlandish requirement.
      Why would I take the second year if I don't have to? UNH is not a big enough draw. I'll just go elsewhere, some place the program is reasonable.

I hated language I am a freaking engineer give me math and science. I took the 2 years required to graduate high school and moved on. Not that I was dumb, I just didn't like it. I wasn't going to take more of that crap if it wasn't required. Now you’re a hockey player and you have 10 schools after you that typically hang out in the top 20. Nine of those schools use the 2 years as a guide line but will consider your other talents. One school holds firm. You going to take that extra year of language or tell the one school to go screw.

Additionally would it have become a big issue for UNH with the new admissions director if they rule had always been the same?
      Last edited by JB; 02-07-2014, 04:28 PM.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Vermont boys stuck in traffic on the Spaulding by Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          Geezusssss... how hard can it be for a Canadian kid to take 2 years of French, or English? And if he didn't, 'cuz he learned the 2nd language when he was toddler, couldn't he just do half his interview with admissions in English, the other half in French?

I'm not buying the argument that admissions and 2 years of language is why UHN sucks at hockey.
          When you are fighting for players anything that limits the pool isn't helpful.

My understanding is several of the high end players from the late 90's only had the 1 year of languge that Canada requires in high school.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
            Geezusssss... how hard can it be for a Canadian kid to take 2 years of French, or English? And if he didn't, 'cuz he learned the 2nd language when he was toddler, couldn't he just do half his interview with admissions in English, the other half in French?

I'm not buying the argument that admissions and 2 years of language is why UHN sucks at hockey.
            I agree with you. Many schools ask for 2 years of a foreign language. I looked up Maine and UML and according to their websites they do as well. The problem UNH is experiencing is not in their language skills but their on ice skills. That being said, go UNH sweep Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Looking forward to another big weekend of hockey with two more at home for the Wildcats, as those 'Cats from just west of here come into town for an important series. UVM was idle this past weekend, so there may be some competitive rust evident in the early going, so it's up to UNH to come out quickly tonight and take control of things, and set the tone for the rest of the weekend. Build on the momentum from last weekend's Notre Dame sweep, and keep pushing to try to solidify a top 4 regular season finish. UNH is only a single point behind the two teams tied for second place; Northeastern has only one game this weekend (home tonight vs. UMass), and could be looking ahead to Monday's Beanpot Finals vs. BC, while UMass Lowell is on the road for a pair (BU & UMass).

So it's possible that with another strong performance this weekend, UNH could move up as high as 2nd place in the HE standings. As far as the teams just behind ... Providence has the weekend off, and UMaine is traveling to South Bend for a pair with the Irish. I'm going to predict the Black Bears will pull off a split against what I continue to feel is a very overrated Notre Dame team, and in doing so notch their first road win of the season. But if that doesn't happen ... there could be some separation between the top 4-5 teams and the rest of the league when things are done for the weekend on Saturday night.

From UVM's perspective ... this is probably their last shot at crawling back into contention for HE home ice, but they would need to sweep UNH to get back to .500, and they've still got a pretty daunting run-in (2 vs. BC, 2 @ Merrimack, 2 vs. UML) so they're running out of time and opportunities. In addition to being inactive last weekend, they're finishing up a stretch of 8 road games, and so far they've split their last three weekends away. A split this weekend does UVM even less good than it would for UNH. Split weekends are no way for any team to make up ground at this time of the season, so UVM should be coming here with tons of intensity.

Prediction? UNH wins on Friday night, but can't seal the deal on Saturday night (loss or tie). A three point weekend from UNH would guarantee them no worse than a tie for 3rd place by the end of the weekend, and a sweep could get them into 2nd place if UML falters in either of their road games. A two point weekend is a lost opportunity, and puts home ice in jeopardy again. Anything less than two points this weekend for UNH would be a huge setback, and puts the entire postseason outlook in serious jeopardy.

It would be a great time for another "statement weekend" like last weekend. It's all there for the taking. Make it happen.
              UNH needs to win both , otherwise will lose ground in the overall power ranking which currently sits at 14 th , anything else would be unacceptable . Maybe i would take a three point weekend but i'll get back to you on that depending on my mood .

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                Vermont boys stuck in traffic on the Spaulding by Home Depot.
                What the hey are they doing on the Spaulding?? Rte. 4 across from Concord just too simple??

Hard for UVM to shake their "hippies" rep when their bus driver goes all Cheech & Chong on them.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  Why would I take the second year if I don't have to? UNH is not a big enough draw. I'll just go elsewhere, some place the program is reasonable.

I hated language I am a freaking engineer give me math and science. I took the 2 years required to graduate high school and moved on. Not that I was dumb, I just didn't like it. I wasn't going to take more of that crap if it wasn't required. Now you’re a hockey player and you have 10 schools after you that typically hang out in the top 20. Nine of those schools use the 2 years as a guide line but will consider your other talents. One school holds firm. You going to take that extra year of language or tell the one school to go screw.

Additionally would it have become a big issue for UNH with the new admissions director if they rule had always been the same?
                  Precisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    What the hey are they doing on the Spaulding?? Rte. 4 across from Concord just too simple??

Hard for UVM to shake their "hippies" rep when their bus driver goes all Cheech & Chong on them.
                    Pregame meal at Chauncey Creek?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      I would assume they are staying Portsmouth and are heading to Durham. BTW I've ridden on a couple of UNH bus trips and you know what they say about people who live in glass houses
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Give me a break. Just because a certain high school only requires one year of a language doesn't mean everyone takes the bare minimum. I know at my high school everyone who graduated did not take the bare minimum required to graduate. If they were planning on going to college then they took additional courses that would look good for schools. Do you have proof that players 10-15 years ago all only had one year of a language in high school? If I had to take a wild guess... I'd say no.

As C-H-C said, there are going to be 7 Canadians on the team next year. They found a way to have at least two language classes. So it can't be that hard. Why can't others do the same?

And do you also have proof that schools who use the 2 year language requirement will look the other way or proof UNH doesn't look the other way? Cause I find it hard to believe Yale,BC,BU,PC,ND ect. would 'look the other way' to a pretty simple requirement.

And I'm sure the athlete doesn't know admissions will look the other way so they would probably take more than the bare minimum to graduate from high school. Now I know at my high school there were more requirements to graduate than just the state requirements. Not sure if that's the case but I'd be willing to bet a lot of Canadian high schools want kids taking at least two years of a language. And I'd be willing to bet most Canadians take at least 2 years of a language anyway. Assumption I know but not unrealistic. Lets be real, this isn't a huge requirement. It's not like they're asking for 3 years of advanced chemistry.

I think most colleges require two years of a language. I looked up a few... Minni, Union, PC require 2 and BC recommends 4! Do you really think two years of a language is a huge request? And that's why UNH isn't drawing great players? If the coaches can't find quality players who meet the (reasonable) requirements for UNH admissions then shame on them. And it's NOT a valid excuse for their lack of success.
                        Last edited by Ryan422; 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
                          Give me a break. Just because a certain high school only requires one year of a language doesn't mean everyone takes the bare minimum. I know at my high school everyone who graduated did not take the bare minimum required to graduate. If they were planning on going to college then they took additional courses that would look good for schools. Do you have proof that players 10-15 years ago all only had one year of a language in high school? If I had to take a wild guess...
                          As C-H-C said, there are going to be 7 Canadians on the team next year. They found a way to have at least two language classes. So it can't be that hard. Why can't others do the same?

And do you also have proof that schools who use the 2 year language requirement will look the other way or proof UNH doesn't look the other way? Cause I find it hard to believe Yale,BC,BU,PC,ND ect. would 'look the other way' to a pretty simple requirement.

And I'm sure the athlete doesn't know admissions will look the other way so they would probably take more than the bare minimum to graduate from high school. Now I know at my high school there were more requirements to graduate than just the state requirements. Not sure if that's the case but I'd be willing to bet a lot of Canadian high schools want kids taking at least two years of a language. And I'd be willing to bet most Canadians take at least 2 years of a language anyway. Assumption I know but not unrealistic. Lets be real, this isn't a huge requirement. It's not like they're asking for 3 years of advanced chemistry.

I think most colleges require two years of a language. I looked up a few... Minni, Union, PC require 2 and BC recommends 4! Do you really think two years of a language is a huge request? And that's why UNH isn't drawing great players? If the coaches can't find quality players who meet the (reasonable) requirements for UNH admissions then shame on them. And it's NOT a valid excuse for their lack of success.
                          Ryan, great post. 2 years of language is no big deal and is certainly not a yardstick that makes UNH a tough university to gain admission into.

Comment

Wow, Wyer now in net; how quickly the momentum changed, like night and day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Wow, Wyer now in net; how quickly the momentum changed, like night and day.
                              UNH down 5-2. Not fair. I've heard the UVM players only speak one language.

Comment

Dont understand, how can unh lay such a golden egg, against an inferior Vermont team and get blown out of the rink...now looking from outside in, especially with other teams, northeastern and Lowell stumbling.

Comment

Working...
                                X