Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Originally posted by JB View Post
    Also all the seniors are on pace to graduate this year, so a 5th year would be in grad school if that is what he wanted.

Actually the team GPA was 3.2...
    But admissions remains skeptical. Just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      But admissions remains skeptical. Just don't get it.
      I am not sure admissions is "skeptical". I think admissions now has some hard rules that they will not allow to be bent for any reason (right or wrong) and nobody above them is pressuring them to look at other factors. One of the big issues is admissions is now requiring 2 years of a foreign language. Canadian high schools only require 1 year to graduate this has caused a seperation in the talent pool requirements and the admissions rules. This also explains the dwindling of Canadians on the roster. Another hard rule, apparently, is deadlines are deadlines and there is no pressure for the top on reasonbility.

The upside is the coaching staff doesn't have any players where there is an acedemic concern.

The downside is obviously a talent aquisition issue. UNH is not a big enough name to have this foolishness.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Another hard rule, apparently, is deadlines are deadlines and there is no pressure for the top on reasonbility.

I know there have been discussions about admissions cracking down on athletes and such and I'm sure that has become an issue for some athletes in certain situations but overall I don't see that being a reasonable excuse. The coaches/ athletic dept. should have some pull to get some help getting athletes in. I actually know they do. In reference to the deadline situation. I know someone (close family friend) who is an athlete(not hockey) and they were considering transferring to UNH for a spring semester. The coach said if they wanted to go to UNH for the spring they would get the athlete in and this was in December. Well after the deadline.

I know there are a lot of other factors but what do people think... If UNH had the current admissions situation in the late 90's would they still be able to get those great players? Were those players really that dumb/ unqualified to get into UNH and the only reason they were there was because they played hockey? Trust me I'm not naive and I understand that there are athletes across all sports/schools in the country that are probably there just because of their athletic ability, but was it really that big of an issue at UNH? When I went to school there I had classes with some players and they seemed like good students/ intelligent enough. Now they certainly had a lot of 'help' if they wanted/ needed it.

BC, BU, PC, Yale, Notre Dame, ect. are all great schools w/ tough admissions I'm sure and are still able to get great athletes. I feel like there are plenty of great hockey players out there who are good enough students to get into UNH. Again I'm not discounting the struggles with admissions in certain situations but overall Umile should be able to get the job done with the current admissions being the way they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
          I know there have been discussions about admissions cracking down on athletes and such and I'm sure that has become an issue for some athletes in certain situations but overall I don't see that being a reasonable excuse. The coaches/ athletic dept. should have some pull to get some help getting athletes in. I actually know they do. In reference to the deadline situation. I know someone (close family friend) who is an athlete(not hockey) and they were considering transferring to UNH for a spring semester. The coach said if they wanted to go to UNH for the spring they would get the athlete in and this was in December. Well after the deadline.

I know there are a lot of other factors but what do people think... If UNH had the current admissions situation in the late 90's would they still be able to get those great players? Were those players really that dumb/ unqualified to get into UNH and the only reason they were there was because they played hockey? Trust me I'm not naive and I understand that there are athletes across all sports/schools in the country that are probably there just because of their athletic ability, but was it really that big of an issue at UNH? When I went to school there I had classes with some players and they seemed like good students/ intelligent enough. Now they certainly had a lot of 'help' if they wanted/ needed it.

BC, BU, PC, Yale, Notre Dame, ect. are all great schools w/ tough admissions I'm sure and are still able to get great athletes. I feel like there are plenty of great hockey players out there who are good enough students to get into UNH. Again I'm not discounting the struggles with admissions in certain situations but overall Umile should be able to get the job done with the current admissions being the way they are.
          If the two years of a language was in effect back in the mid-90's my guess is that guys like Krog, Bekar, Matile, Haydar, et al would not have come to UNH. I know that not every guy who laced them up for UNH was a scholar, but then not every person who goes to UNH is either. I do know that UNH has several players selected for the HE all academic team every year. I know that Krog was a good student, I know that Kevin Regan graduated with a double major, as did Brad Flashians. Yup, there was Garrett Stafford, there was Joe Charlebois, but to me they are the exceptions to the rule.

What I really don't get is how, on the one hand, UNH wants to celebrate the achievement of their athletic teams with monuments such as the Whit and the new Cowell Stadium but then decrease the likelihood that these achievements will continue by instituting admission rules that a big chunk of the recruiting talent pool can't comply with. That is my biggest criticism of Marty Scarano. I am sure he went to bat for his coaches but, obviously, he is a weak stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            If the two years of a language was in effect back in the mid-90's my guess is that guys like Krog, Bekar, Matile, Haydar, et al would not have come to UNH. .
            Now I'm just playing devil's advocate here but.... Colleges recruit kids at such a young age today(15,16,17). And usually they don't plan on attending their school for 2-3 years out. Then don't you think it would be the responsibility of the athlete/ coaches to make sure they get all of their academic requirements taken care of? I think that is doable when they have a couple years to prepare and make sure they are in compliance with their academic requirements. If they need to take an extra year of a language they should be able to get that done.

Comment

Next year's team is projected to have 6 Canadians:
              Grayson Downing (British Columbia)
              Dan Correale (BC)
              Dylan Chanter (BC)
              Adam Clark (Alberta)
              Warren Foegele (Ontario)
              Cameron Marks (BC)
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                Next year's team is projected to have 6 Canadians:
                Grayson Downing (British Columbia)
                Dan Correale (BC)
                Dylan Chanter (BC)
                Adam Clark (Alberta)
                Warren Foegele (Ontario)
                Cameron Marks (BC)
                This is awesome. Now let's add a Euro or two, maybe a Texan and we're back to old-time hockey.... But none of that stinkin' ruhhhht beer!!
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  This is awesome. Now let's add a Euro or two, maybe a Texan and we're back to old-time hockey.... But none of that stinkin' ruhhhht beer!!
                  I often wondered why UNH never made more of a concerted effort to recruit Euro-mercenaries?
                  UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post

The 2 years of language is the difficulty, and to this point not flexible. I don't know how many 90's players from Canada would be eliminated but my guess is a good number. In this case the players aren't dumb just the requirements don't line up.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      I often wondered why UNH never made more of a concerted effort to recruit Euro-mercenaries?
                      Duh Scott, UNH admissions! Ovechkin wanted to come to UNH and was ready to commit on the spot but he was denied admissions. He settled for the secondary option - the NHL.
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

The 2 years of language is the difficulty, and to this point not flexible. I don't know how many 90's players from Canada would be eliminated but my guess is a good number. In this case the players aren't dumb just the requirements don't line up.
                        Now I'm just playing devil's advocate here but.... Colleges recruit kids at such a young age today(15,16,17). And usually they don't plan on attending their school for 2-3 years out. Then don't you think it would be the responsibility of the athlete/ coaches to make sure they get all of their academic requirements taken care of? I think that is doable when they have a couple years to prepare and make sure they are in compliance with their academic requirements. If they need to take an extra year of a language they should be able to get that done.

Now saying a good number of the Canadian players would be eliminated is kinda a stretch. Wouldn't those players just take an extra year of a language if they needed to? I don't think that would make or break their decision to come to UNH. I don't think the UNH's requirements are too ridiculous compared to other schools. In fact they're probably on par with other schools(I doubt there's more requirements than BC,Yale,Harvard,PC,ND). I'm sure a lot of players back then and today probably already take at least two years of a language because I feel like most schools require at least that. Maybe those great players from Canada did take two years of a language even though they only needed one for UNH. Saying they would or wouldn't come b/c of that is a big assumption that could only really be answered by talking to one of them or getting a hold of their high school transcript. But if that was the requirement back then I would hope they would just take an extra year of a language like the Canadians are doing today. Not an outlandish requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post

Now saying a good number of the Canadian players would be eliminated is kinda a stretch. Wouldn't those players just take an extra year of a language if they needed to? I don't think that would make or break their decision to come to UNH. I don't think the UNH's requirements are too ridiculous compared to other schools. In fact they're probably on par with other schools(I doubt there's more requirements than BC,Yale,Harvard,PC,ND). I'm sure a lot of players back then and today probably already take at least two years of a language because I feel like most schools require at least that. Maybe those great players from Canada did take two years of a language even though they only needed one for UNH. Saying they would or wouldn't come b/c of that is a big assumption that could only really be answered by talking to one of them or getting a hold of their high school transcript. But if that was the requirement back then I would hope they would just take an extra year of a language like the Canadians are doing today. Not an outlandish requirement.
                          What you tink bout dat, Rabbit Poriveau?

Comment

Geezusssss... how hard can it be for a Canadian kid to take 2 years of French, or English? And if he didn't, 'cuz he learned the 2nd language when he was toddler, couldn't he just do half his interview with admissions in English, the other half in French?

I'm not buying the argument that admissions and 2 years of language is why UHN sucks at hockey.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

2nd line center Grayson Downing and 3rd line center Kyle Smith are expected to be back in the lineup tonight against Vermont.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                2nd line center Grayson Downing and 3rd line center Kyle Smith are expected to be back in the lineup tonight against Vermont.
                                One of dem from Canada, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X