Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Just curious, have any past Cats who left early completed their UNH degrees?
    I thought I'd heard about Eddie Caron leaving hockey to finish his degree. Dan Winnik finished his degree as well.
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
      Went onto campus today to pick up my tickets since I didn't want to waste the ink to print them all out on my own. Caught a glimpse of the student tickets available for this weekend and Spring Break is definitely going to have an impact there. This caused me to take a look at ticketmaster and see how the Whit looked for availability and it's a joke. I know these quarterfinal series usually are as far as attendance goes, but that was always when UNH was dominant and whoever they were playing had no shot. Its discouraging that with their season on the line and facing a team that should be competitive no one seems to care. I'm just glad to see that the regulars around my seats seem to have purchased theirs already so for our little section the season lives on as it has since October.
      I know the place looks pretty empty as per Ticketmaster; esp. Saturday night! At least the faithful will be there IF the series goes three students will be back on Sunday? PC has spring break as well from what I read. Guess we gotta carry the torch! I know I'm up for it! Bring it 'Cats!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by freak View Post
        I thought I'd heard about Eddie Caron leaving hockey to finish his degree. Dan Winnik finished his degree as well.
        Good for Dan Winnik. Always wondered how that HE final against BC and first round NCAA game against Miami might have turned out if Winnik had stayed for his senior year in 2006-2007.

Comment

Winnik, Trevor Smith, Derek Bekar. Players good enough to be early departures. Tough problem to have.

I hope TVR stays which means he didn't get an offer good enough to leave which isn't good for him so I hope he leaves, no wait...
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Previewing this weekend's playoff series with NU:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...le-jim-madigan
            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Good for Dan Winnik. Always wondered how that HE final against BC and first round NCAA game against Miami might have turned out if Winnik had stayed for his senior year in 2006-2007.
              Small potatoes when considering the impact Bekar likely would have had on the outcome of the '99 team that made it to OT in the Finals. He was an impact player from Day One as a frosh, and was right up there with Krog as a junior (32G/28A/60 pts.). Better player at the D-1 level than Winnik by far ... both guys pretty much the same size, both left wingers. Never quite sure why Bekar didn't get a more extended shot with the Kings. He certainly had all the tools, and wasn't afraid to take the body in his time at UNH. I'll always remember him as the one guy in a UNH sweater who looked to be up for the fight in the FF semis 4-0 loss to Michigan at the Garden.

Credit to Winnik though ... I thought he was somewhat of a floater while at UNH, but has since made himself a career on the 3rd/4th lines in Phoenix, Colorado and now with an Anaheim team that could earn him a Stanley Cup ring. And you don't earn a living on the lower lines in the NHL by being a floater, that's for sure. Kudos.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                Previewing this weekend's playoff series with NU:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...le-jim-madigan
                Nice job on the preview Mr. Cox. Thanks
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                  yes because will increase attendance by 5000
                  Doubtful, per Hockey East UNH averages 5,312 per game at the Whitt. This isn't the early-mid 2000's anymore, UNH just doesn't travel as well as they used to.

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                  that's Maine not UNH but yes, the gate will get a much needed bump. Y'all couldn't fill ur place more than once or twice all year though
                  6 sellouts this year: Acadia, Saturday game against Michigan, Boston College, Maine, Saturday game against Notre Dame, Saturday game against Vermont.
                  Hockey East ranks UNH's attendance third in the league, only 4 tickets per game below second place Lowell. BC leads with 6,503.

Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
                  All y'all betting against Boston College - quit being so obtuse. This is a simple matter. The year is 2014; indicating an even year. On even years the Eagles win National Championships. 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014.
                  They didn't have Mike Ayers on their bench in prior years, the UNH 'curse' takes precedent. He was sent in as a plant to put an end the York era. ( )
                  Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM.
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                    Doubtful, per Hockey East UNH averages 5,312 per game at the Whitt. This isn't the early-mid 2000's anymore, UNH just doesn't travel as well as they used to.

6 sellouts this year: Acadia, Saturday game against Michigan, Boston College, Maine, Saturday game against Notre Dame, Saturday game against Vermont.
                    Hockey East ranks UNH's attendance third in the league, only 4 tickets per game below second place Lowell. BC leads with 6,503.

They didn't have Mike Ayers on their bench in prior years, the UNH 'curse' takes precedent. He was sent in as a plant to put an end the York era. ( )
                    Im willing to bet but we will never know , with the large alumni base in Boston and seeing how they haven't been their in eons coupled with NH fans coming down . UNH will easily surpass 5000.

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      Im flustered people finally discovered our cruel plan for BC hockey. Perhaps when (if) York ever steps down, Ayers will be offered the head coaching position and BC won't win another Natty Champ till UNH wins their first because of the said "curse." But lets be real here people, neither will ever happen

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Small potatoes when considering the impact Bekar likely would have had on the outcome of the '99 team that made it to OT in the Finals. He was an impact player from Day One as a frosh, and was right up there with Krog as a junior (32G/28A/60 pts.). Better player at the D-1 level than Winnik by far ... both guys pretty much the same size, both left wingers. Never quite sure why Bekar didn't get a more extended shot with the Kings. He certainly had all the tools, and wasn't afraid to take the body in his time at UNH. I'll always remember him as the one guy in a UNH sweater who looked to be up for the fight in the FF semis 4-0 loss to Michigan at the Garden.

Credit to Winnik though ... I thought he was somewhat of a floater while at UNH, but has since made himself a career on the 3rd/4th lines in Phoenix, Colorado and now with an Anaheim team that could earn him a Stanley Cup ring. And you don't earn a living on the lower lines in the NHL by being a floater, that's for sure. Kudos.
                        Bekar and Gare, perhaps the 2 biggest what-ifs in the UNH lacking national championships conversation. Man I liked Bekar. 6' 2", 195 lbs. and iirc he was fast. Just looking at the 1998 roster - Krog, Bekar, Nolan, Mowers, Filipowicz, Bragnalo, Lind, O'Brien. Those were the days.

In an 11 year professional career Bekar played a total of 11 NHL games with no points proving players don't need to make "the show" to have a successful lucrative professional career.

I remember thinking we'd not see him in Durham for the full 4 years the 1st time I saw Winnik play. Greg Burke reminded me of Winnik the first time I saw him play.

In a 2003 related thought, I've always had a soft spot for les Canadiens going back to the LaFleur, Robinson, Cournoyer, Henri Richard. Not so much in the modern day, but ZERO after the NHL trade deadline!
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Just for clarity, I was not trying to promote Winnik over Bekar, but rather I was simply extending my kudos for him completing his degree per reply from Freak. Hey, maybe if Bekar had completed his degree, he would be still playing in the NHL like Winnik (just kidding).
                          Last edited by Snively65; 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Just for clarity, I was not trying to promote Winnik over Bekar, but rather I was simply extending my kudos for him completing his degree per reply from Freak. Hey, maybe if Bekar had completed his degree, he would be still playing in the NHL like Winnik (just kidding).
                            From what I understand, Bekar is doing just fine in his post-hockey ventures. No worries.

But still remembered here as THE huge "what-if" for the '99 team.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Just saw an ad on WBIN for UNH-Northeastern on Friday night, am I mis-remembering that in years past NESN had exclusive rights?
                              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                                Just saw an ad on WBIN for UNH-Northeastern on Friday night, am I mis-remembering that in years past NESN had exclusive rights?
                                Despite no Bruins on Friday night, nothing else listed for NESN except for Bruins at 1 pm and BC at 7 pm on Saturday?

Comment

Working...
                                X