Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Long, tiring and very challenging day at the office today. So I figured I'd come on here and check out the latest ... and what do I see? Snively ripping on ABBA, featuring the lovely and talented Agnetha "Super Hiney" Faltskog???

I guess it's hard to explain, but let me try to put this in context. You are a teenager, growing up on a steady diet of Led Zep, The Who, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Deep Purple and the early days of Rush in the mid-'70's. Throw in a little Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull and the peak years of Queen, Styx and ELO, and it was a great time to be a kid IF you liked your music with a little bit of muscle and flair. I'm not even mentioning Aerosmith or Ted Nugent, who were both huge (as in HUGE), but for whatever reason not quite on my "A" list. To each their own, I guess. But clearly a desperate lack of rockers of the fairer sex (to use an outdated term), and unless you were into the whole singer-songwriter scene, then *maybe* you could enter Heart (great) and Fleetwood Mac (overrated) into the discussion.

So the arrival of the Euro-pop of ABBA was kind of unique to its time, and while it would still be Bad Company or Grand Funk blasting on the stereo or 8-track when friends got together in the old 'hood ... every once in awhile on the late Saturday night TV music shows, you'd get a chance to see these new-fangled thingies called "videos" between taped live performances of the aforementioned rockers, and you would see stuff like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoeAqeKW5Wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1DdwrsdTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DkQBPpun0M

The heavens opened, and the lovely Agnetha descended to grace us mere mortals with her angelic presence. Unless "insipid" is Swedish for "goddess from above", then you got a lot of 'splaining to do, Snively!!

Anyway ... now that I've given you all this no-doubt fascinating insight into the days of my youth, please don't judge me too harshly.

-----------------

Now for something completely different ... with another week to kill before UNH takes to the ice again, and with recent discussions on this topic in other sports settings seemingly all the rage ... who makes it onto your UNH Men's Hockey Mount Rushmore?

Answers on a postcard, or preferably on this thread. No SOS or SOG or SOL talk allowed. Who wants to go first??
    Going back to my Jr. High / early High School years, I'd have to put up some of my favorite players at the time. Ralph Cox, Andy Brickley, Dana Barbin and Norm Lacombe. Honorable mention go out to Bob Gould, Bob Francis, Sean Coady and Dan Muse.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Chuck - you and I must have listened to the same radio station (WPLJ and WPLR) - PLR always played the live version of Stranglehold late in the evening. Yes Songs, Quadrophenia, Brain Salad Surgery ... but no Styx always changed them Had to listen to Aerosmith as my roommate at UNH knew them and still chats with a couple of them still.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Now for something completely different ... with another week to kill before UNH takes to the ice again, and with recent discussions on this topic in other sports settings seemingly all the rage ... who makes it onto your UNH Men's Hockey Mount Rushmore?

Answers on a postcard, or preferably on this thread. No SOS or SOG or SOL talk allowed. Who wants to go first??
        GREAT QUESTION!

Since somebody has to go first I will take a stab...

Rod Blackburn, Gordie Clark, Ralph Cox, Jason Krog

reserve the right to change my mind
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Offense: Stanley Cup winner and for a time Gretsky's linemate .... Dave Lumley
          Defense: Norris Trophy winner .... Mr. Langway (and a heck of a baseball player)

Oh yeah .... Mr. Krog

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

-----------------

Mike Ontkean
            Guy Smith
            Mike McShane
            Cap Raeder
            Cliffy Cox
            Jamie Hislop
            Rod Langway
            Ralph Cox
            Dave O'Brien
            Darren Haydar
            Jason Krog

Snively Music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7r_SfdOr3E
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZJ4ESU52U

Just for grins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvca_zJX9yY
            Last edited by e.cat; 03-08-2014, 07:47 AM.
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

You guys forgot that horrific car accident that killed two, one warren Brown, and injured another player. If my recollection is correct happened at Xmas break. At the time UNH was one of the tops in the country.thinking this was 75. But warren brown was going to be in the great category.

Comment

• Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                You guys forgot that horrific car accident that killed two, one warren Brown, and injured another player. If my recollection is correct happened at Xmas break. At the time UNH was one of the tops in the country.thinking this was 75. But warren brown was going to be in the great category.
                It was Christmas break 1973. Warren Brown, a big power forward with great promise, died in the accident. Two of his teammates, Dave Bertollo and Jim Harvie, were injured. They were driving home to Ontario.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Long, tiring and very challenging day at the office today. So I figured I'd come on here and check out the latest ... and what do I see? Snively ripping on ABBA, featuring the lovely and talented Agnetha "Super Hiney" Faltskog??? :

The heavens opened, and the lovely Agnetha descended to grace us mere mortals with her angelic presence. Unless "insipid" is Swedish for "goddess from above", then you got a lot of 'splaining to do, Snively!!
                  Hey, Chuck. If you read my reply very carefully, you should note that I was not ripping ABBA and the angelic Agnetha, but just the song SOS, which I still think was insipid. :-). And, I ripped this song with much sadness, being such a strong proponent of our SOS; not so much our SOG. :-)

My favorite all-time UNH hockey player: Brad Houston.

Comment

Good to see the responses so far. I thought I'd put it out there while we're all still engaged in the hockey season, as some of us have a tendency to (understandably) drift away once the season is over. Otherwise, this would have been a good offseason topic.

Anyway, my four selections for the UNH "Mount Rushmore" ...

Ralph Cox, Jason Krog, Rod Langway ... and Charlie Holt

Just missing out: Mike Ayers, Andy Brickley, Gordie Clark, Darren Haydar, Cap Raeder, Dick Umile

Favorite players from the rest: Joe Flanagan, Patrick Foley, Bobby Gould, Jamie Hislop, Steve Saviano

Question: does a coach even belong on the list, and if so, is Holt the choice as a "breakthrough to national prominence" guy OR is it Umile for his contributions first as a player, AND then as the coach who led the team in its most successful era (late '90's/early '00's)?

As for you Snively ... I'll let you off this time with a warning, but I'm keeping a close eye on you for further misbehavior.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                      And speaking of disrespecting other teams, Colgate and MSU have lost one game between them since February 1st. I don't expect either to win their respective league tourneys, but each are playing pretty well recently.
                      So, after last night, MSU has won eight straight, but all against losing teams, including two each against Bemidji and Huntsville (yeah, I know, we lost to Mac). And, Colgate is now 4-3-2 in their last nine games, despite heroics with win over Quinnipiac and tie with Union (yeah, I know that we lost two to Union).

But, if we end up 21-17-1 (two wins against NU and a loss at the Garden), I will not feel badly that we backed into a low seed in the NCAAs if we should be so lucky, given the tough schedule and loss of TVR for the last few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        So, after last night, MSU has won eight straight, but all against losing teams, including two each against Bemidji and Huntsville (yeah, I know, we lost to Mac). And, Colgate is now 4-3-2 in their last nine games, despite heroics with win over Quinnipiac and tie with Union (yeah, I know that we lost two to Union).

But, if we end up 21-17-1 (two wins against NU and a loss at the Garden), I will not feel badly that we backed into a low seed in the NCAAs if we should be so lucky, given the tough schedule and loss of TVR for the last few weeks.
                        not sure that's enough, with two wins puts us at 14, 15, maybe. However lose the next game in Boston and we are back to 17, 18 again.Need to win one in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                          not sure that's enough, with two wins puts us at 14, 15, maybe. However lose the next game in Boston and we are back to 17, 18 again.Need to win one in Boston.
                          Depends on what other teams do too, no
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Depends on what other teams do too, no
                            Hey I think UNH has been given a gift and hopefully they will capitalize on it! In the event we do make it to the Garden...who's the likely opponent? There must be a bracket out there? Like it's been said here it's sometimes better to be lucky..than good! (apologize for not remembering who said this...). And like others making it to the Garden with all the teams been through this year would be awesome..esp. for our Senior class.
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Hey I think UNH has been given a gift and hopefully they will capitalize on it! In the event we do make it to the Garden...who's the likely opponent? There must be a bracket out there? Like it's been said here it's sometimes better to be lucky..than good! (apologize for not remembering who said this...). And like others making it to the Garden with all the teams been through this year would be awesome..esp. for our Senior class.
                              their is a good probability UNH will face a PC or Lowell type. I say that because their will be one upset comming out of quarters . My guess ND , this will avoid a UNH Boston college matchup.Any team advancing above a four seed draws BC. If all favored teams win tonight BC draws ND, ouch

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                It was Christmas break 1973. Warren Brown, a big power forward with great promise, died in the accident. Two of his teammates, Dave Bertollo and Jim Harvie, were injured. They were driving home to Ontario.
                                Charlie Holt gave them permission to leave for home after a game at BC. I was at that one, Gordie Clark scored the OT winner on a tip in from the high slot. This was during the "gas crisis" when the pumps weren't always full. The boys had a couple of extra gas cans unfortunately, they exploded leading to one death and, as I remember, Jim Harvie was severely burned in the accident. I don't think Charlie ever got over the loss. He talked about Warren Brown a lot, even several years later.

Comment

Working...
                                X