Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
    Thanks Debbie Downer. Enjoy the win and the home ice clinching. I mean it hasn't even been 24 hours.
    I enjoyed it last night. Had a couple of beers after at the 99 with friends in fact. But the improbable good fortune that befell the Wildcats last night does not obscure the fact that they will have to play a lot better against NU than they did against Merrimack in order to advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
      yes and we forgot one other caveat ,UNH's stellar home record this year. Dont worry they got this one in the bag.Haven't we heard that a million times.
      I don't think I said anything like that. Just that it hadn't even been 24 hours and the wet banket already had been out. The next game is 2 weeks away. Just enjoy the win for a day.
      UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
        I don't think I said anything like that. Just that it hadn't even been 24 hours and the wet banket already had been out. The next game is 2 weeks away. Just enjoy the win for a day.
        unhhockey, I wasn't implying anything was using my cell phone easier to repost than create new link.

Comment

Looking forward to see UNH in a couple weeks,was wondering if WBIN will be broadcasting any of the 3 games?

Comment

"UNH Gets Physical, Downs Merrimack 5-2, Earns Home Ice"
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Okay, we are all giddy after the improbable clinching of home ice. I doubt anyone had the scenario where one win vs. Merrimack while NU and Maine lost twice would be all that was needed. And the prospect of playing NU, a team that they beat twice this year, at home makes it even more enticing to think that UNH could actually make the Garden. But let me be the first to throw some cold water on this. Despite the victory last night, UNH again was gawd awful. They gave up 51 shots to the worst team in the league and only won because DeSmith was beyond solid in the net. Frankly, UNH didn't look any better defensively last night than they did the night before. Only difference is that they got a couple of more pucks past the Merrimack goalie. So now they have two more weeks to prepare (they will have played two games in 25 days when they finally take the ice again on March 14). Is preparation time going to be any more productive leading up to NU than it was in the two weeks leading up to Merrimack? I hope so.
              Greg, I agree it's natural to be a little jaded at this point but to my mind the time off again will help them more than the preparation time. If the x's and o's aren't there by now they never will be but the time off will be a benefit. I would much rather be in our shows than the following:

First Round - Single Elimination (Campus sites; March 6-7, 2014)
              (10) Massachusetts at (7) Vermont – Friday, 7:05pm (TV-NESN)
              (9) Boston University at (8) Notre Dame – Saturday, 7:00pm
              (11) Merrimack at (6) Maine – Saturday, 7:07pm

Our border rival friends to the north are probably apoplectic right about now letting home ice slip away and would love to be in our shoes.
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

UNH all time vs Northeastern: 91-58-13
                UNH vs NU at the Whittemore Center: 23-3-4
                UNH vs NU in the Hockey East Tournament: 3-1-1 (2 advancements, 1 elimination, 1 n/a)

Previous meetings:
                2005 Hockey East Quarterfinals (best of three)
                UNH 6 - NU 0
                UNH 4 - NU 0

1994 Hockey East Consolation Game
                UNH 4 - NU 4

1992 Hockey East Quarterfinals (single elimination)
                UNH 4 - NU 2

1989 Hockey East Quarterfinals (single elimination)
                NU 5 - UNH 4 (OT)
                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  I totally agree with the tenor of your post Greg. I will also point out however, that sometimes it is better to be lucky than be good. This team has gotten a number of breaks during the past three weeks, beginning with the postponement of the BU game, through the NU and ME chokes of this weekend. Even the draw of NU as first round opponent is a break.
                  I'm on board with Felger (and Greg) ... UNH has been beyond fortunate to have emerged as the #4 seed over the last few weeks, when they finished up with a 3-3-0 record over their final 3 weekends of league play. It took a combined choke-a-palooza from both UMaine and Northeastern ... but if you think us UNH fans are pinching ourselves, try being a PC fan - moving out of the perilous #6 slot all the way up to #3, and avoiding a match-up with BC until the HE Finals. When was the last time UMaine got swept at home in a key late season series like that? Wonder what TIMMAY is thinking at this moment??

Opportunity knocked on UNH's door twice this weekend. Maybe they didn't answer the first time, but when they were fortunate enough to get a rare second chance, they found a way to get the job done. Two more wins weekend after next, and UNH reaches my (modest) goal for slight improvement over last year's team. Hosting the QF round for the first time since this year's seniors were freshmen is a nice development, but knowing the season is on the line IF they don't take care of NU should - and I emphasize SHOULD - have them completely focused and prepared to lay it all on the line for that increasingly rare March trip to Boston. Make it happen, 'Cats!!
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Credit to Dropkicknh for keeping the faith last night in the face of a seemingly typical end-of-season crash-and-burn scenario.
                    I would love to sit here and say I kept the faith 100% but that post was the 4th one I had typed out that night before finally submitting it. I had calmed back down and was thinking a little more clearly. That being said, I went to High school in Dover from 98-02 and to UNH from 02-05 so I went to a lot of games during the good times. After that I moved to Michigan for a few years (Don't ever do that) and came back with an adult job and ready to finally brave the vaunted waitlist and get season tickets. I had missed the early part of the decline and was surprised to see what it had come to.

I would consider myself fortunate that most of my memories of UNH hockey were from those early days, losing in the title game is manageable as long as the future looks positive. Those memories being my first and still relatively fresh allow me to stay a little more positive than some of you long time ticket holders. While I during games I'm screaming at Umile for constantly adjusting lines, and playing his sit back and weather the storm defense with the lead, I am able to come on here and remain relatively upbeat. Hopefully that is something I can hold onto, with hopes that maybe the naivety some of the younger fans have can help the long sufferers get through each season. Unfortunately looking at the past and present along with the outlook for the future I fear that I may soon lose that positivity as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                      If you were a number one seed, and you had a choice for your opponent, the following week who would you pick..Uvm, NU, Maine, ND...UNH has caught the greatest brake since yesterdays game..lets see if they can surprise us.
                      the team I wouldn't want to play is ND, their on a collision course with BC..ouch

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982
                        so if I haven't confused you, UNH needs to beat NU than win the semi against PC..than their in .
                        I don't believe I have seen the English language butchered quite like that in a full paragraph, let alone in a partial sentence.

Puppets will help you Learn the Language
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          I don't believe I have seen the English language butchered quite like that in a full paragraph, let alone in a partial sentence.

Puppets will help you Learn the Language
                          five holer didn't know English was a prerequisite for this thread.Promise I'll do a better job, wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I'm on board with Felger (and Greg) ... UNH has been beyond fortunate to have emerged as the #4 seed over the last few weeks, when they finished up with a 3-3-0 record over their final 3 weekends......
                            NU record last six games is 2-3-1. Smart money is on UNH in this series

I agree with you about getting to the garden for this team is a big deal. Hard to believe they haven't been since 10/11 season!!
                            Last edited by e.cat; 03-02-2014, 06:02 PM.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              NU record last six games is 2-3-1. Smart money is on UNH in this series

I agree with you about getting to the garden for this team is a big deal. Hard to believe they haven't been since 10/11 season!!
                              I don't think anyone on this board thinks otherwise about our very good fortune at being where we are despite all of the obstacles of the season, etc, etc, etc. But home ice we have and that's the here and now! Despite NU's major 'hiccup' of the weekend; they remain a formidable team. Pimm and Roy are two great players that come to mind not to mention their keeper Witt who has had a decent season. I saw their performance at the Beanpot v BC and they gave them all they could handle. UNH has adjustments to make defensively (uh, how many SOG's last night; was it the small ice surface or...) Casey D continues to play well, lots of things we know have to come about to make it to the Gahden as you all like to say! Can't get there without 2 wins so that's the priority.

Too bad the student body is on Spring break week after next so hopefully the 'Whitt will have some energy. (MC kids were this week)

Question; for those of you with experience at this HE stuff when tix go on sale do you have to buy all 3 days or single days? Wonder if any of the games will be on TV (doesn't matter to me coz I'll be at all three if it gets that far of course ). And if my memory serves me from last year when we went to PC will they play Fri/Sat night and then Sunday during the day? Guess all of that will come out shortly when tix go on sale this Wednesday...

Psyched!
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
                                I would love to sit here and say I kept the faith 100% but that post was the 4th one I had typed out that night before finally submitting it. I had calmed back down and was thinking a little more clearly. That being said, I went to High school in Dover from 98-02 and to UNH from 02-05 so I went to a lot of games during the good times. After that I moved to Michigan for a few years (Don't ever do that) and came back with an adult job and ready to finally brave the vaunted waitlist and get season tickets. I had missed the early part of the decline and was surprised to see what it had come to.

I would consider myself fortunate that most of my memories of UNH hockey were from those early days, losing in the title game is manageable as long as the future looks positive. Those memories being my first and still relatively fresh allow me to stay a little more positive than some of you long time ticket holders. While I during games I'm screaming at Umile for constantly adjusting lines, and playing his sit back and weather the storm defense with the lead, I am able to come on here and remain relatively upbeat. Hopefully that is something I can hold onto, with hopes that maybe the naivety some of the younger fans have can help the long sufferers get through each season. Unfortunately looking at the past and present along with the outlook for the future I fear that I may soon lose that positivity as well.
                                Hey Dropkick like I said earlier I was glad you put things in perspective and offered some "possibility thinking" to the mix of the night!! I'm prob. one of those 'naïve younger (not too young haha) fans' you speak of but my ride back to my hotel Friday night was fraught with 'ok, that' it...can't do it one more game' but then again I held in my hand a ticket for Saturday night didn't I???
                                That's because there's something that caught my attention last season when I went to one of their last home games of the season (Maine, we lost 4-3 btw). Went to the Regionals, and was 'hooked' on what I wasn't quite sure of. Most likely will be a season's tix holder next year...etc, etc. So...I guess you can look back on those 'glory days' and pine for them (can't blame anyone for doing that!) or be in the present. Doesn't mean we can't have our opinions about the here and now either. All I know all that is moot when I walk into the 'Whit, or the Alfond, or the Agganis; see the team on the ice and the first face off. It's totally on! You have to admit...there's something about the past, that meshes with the present, that keeps newbies and vets coming back for more. So in closing when 'outsiders' to this board complain we are too hard on the team, negative, etc, they don't get it...Go read another board here and see negative! It's because of the past that the present matters so much...I mean it's UNH hockey!! Get it? You keep the faith and hope to see ya here more often...
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X