Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Just put up some police tape around you so that other fans don't get in your face
    Look that is for everyone else's safety
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

I realize that the following statement contains some circular logic, BUT, this appears to be the tale of two teams...

If you look at KRACH, where we are ranked 15th, we are:

>. 4-11-1 vs. teams ranked above us., including 2-7 vs. top 10 teams.
      >. 14-4-0 vs. teams ranked below us.

Meaning, to paraphrase Denny Green (I think), we are who we thought we were! We actually take care of business, in general, when we should. But, we are not competitive vs. the upper echelon this year. The one bit of good news is that our two wins vs. the top 10 were from the sweep of NU. The other two wins vs. higher-ranked teams are from the ND sweep.

Might bode well for getting to the Garden, BUT we need to find an extra gear if we plan on making some noise in either the HEA or NCAA tourneys. Hopefully the return of a key cog or two will help!
      Last edited by wildcatdc; 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray;
        Hopefully we'll have two big UNH turnouts down in North Andover two weekends from now, just like in the good ol' days.
        Perhaps UNH fans will have the opportunity to renew their "drive home safely" chant to the Mac fans after a Cats win or two, like the olden days.

Comment

Originally posted by Russthom View Post
          Two other Lynners who performed pretty well at UNH: Jimmy Nelson and Joe Marsh.

Back in the days of the North Shore Sports Center, college recruiters found some very good players from the Lynn High Schools. Jim Dakin (BU), Dwight Ware (Harvard), Ray Bastarache (BC) to name a few.
          I went to school with Dwight and Jimmy from 7th grade on.(Lynn Classical, '65). We had a pretty good team my senior year but lost to Walpole in the EMass quarterfinals. And Ray was my daughter's elementary school principal. His kid Mark played defense for Providence a few years ago. FYI, Pleau was in the same class ('65) but left Lynn English after his sophomore year to play in Quebec. I don't know him well enough to ask him but other people who grew up with him have told me that he had a difficult time as an American playing junior hockey in Canada in the late '60's. Joe Marsh was in my sister's class ('70) at English. I've met Joe a few times. He is a wonderful guy. Sad to see him retire before his time. As for Jimmy Nelson. There was a Jimmy Nelson in my class, he was from Nahant, played hockey but I can guarantee you that no college scout was looking at him to play the next level. So who are you referring to?

And a shout out to the North Shore Sports Center. People today don't really understand but back in the '60's there were only 4 or 5 rinks in all of Greater Boston - Lynn, Four Seasons in Walpole, Ridge in Braintree, Hockeytown in Melrose and the old Boston Arena. Back then periods were 10 minutes long so the various leagues would play two games at once. Ten minutes of Game 1, ten of game 2, make ice, then play the second periods, make ice and play the third. The Middlesex League used to play all their games in Lynn because the Melrose rink was short at one end. I went to several games even though it wasn't "my" league. Umile was a force in high school, an outstanding player. Fun times back then up through the early 80's when the preps, then the juniors started recruiting too much and ruined the HS game.

Comment

With win unh moves up to 20 in the power..two wins at Mack and win the next playoff series, yes I'm saying a trip to Boston ( sound strange)that will give them enough to crack the top 14.. Two wins at Mack and you got a twenty win season , who would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
              unless you were in a stadium seat or about 7000 other ones. As KMART as the new Gahden is, ill take it anytime over that dump, and i used to live at that dump. Russell vs Chamberlain on through, it wasnt the dump, it was the teams and players that played there driving the public NUTS!
              There was no seat anywhere or anytime like the first row of the balcony in the corner. Great enough for hoops but even better for hockey. I sat there many a time. But, you're right, the Garden was a dump. It had to go. Unfortunately we had to rely on Jeremy Jacobs to rebuild, not a good thing

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                So did the U.S. Women. I mean, 70-9?!?!?!
                That's incredible! And they won too. Must be an aberration
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                  With win unh moves up to 20 in the power..two wins at Mack and win the next playoff series, yes I'm saying a trip to Boston ( sound strange)that will give them enough to crack the top 14.. Two wins at Mack and you got a twenty win season , who would have thought.
                  That postponement helped them. Today was huge for them even though BU is having a bad year.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    That postponement helped them. Today was huge for them even though BU is having a bad year.
                    yes and in two weeks should have downing and tvr back and half the fans at Volpe should be unh, so more like neutral game with exception of ice size

Comment

yes and in two weeks should have downing and tvr back and half the fans at Volpe should be unh, so more like neutral game with exception of ice size
                      Agree. They're still in the hunt

Comment

But, we dropped to 3rd in SOS, not that it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Agree. They're still in the hunt
                          You betcha! (actually I hate that phrase it reminds me of someone ) Just home from Beantown, made all the more fun with the sweep! Seriously I thought the team played very, very well; much better than Friday night...good puck possession, nice attack...so according to the article on the front page (love it!!!) we have locked in a home ice situation?

The victory gave the Wildcats a sweep of the two-game series, the back end of which was delayed two days due to a snowstorm on Saturday, and catapulted UNH (18-15-1, 10-8 Hockey East) into fourth place and the final quarterfinal home-ice spot in Hockey East with two weekends remaining.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2014/02/...#ixzz2tdaOytrk

How cool is this gang! Glad we have the bye week coming up...saw TvR in the hallway and he said he was "coming along nicely" so hopefully that means good things! Sorry to hear about MacDonald

Will be at Lawlor for one...first trip there as well.. Later!
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                            Look that is for everyone else's safety
                            I know.....just messin' with ya.
                            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              You betcha! (actually I hate that phrase it reminds me of someone ) Just home from Beantown, made all the more fun with the sweep! Seriously I thought the team played very, very well; much better than Friday night...good puck possession, nice attack...so according to the article on the front page (love it!!!) we have locked in a home ice situation?

The victory gave the Wildcats a sweep of the two-game series, the back end of which was delayed two days due to a snowstorm on Saturday, and catapulted UNH (18-15-1, 10-8 Hockey East) into fourth place and the final quarterfinal home-ice spot in Hockey East with two weekends remaining.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2014/02/...#ixzz2tdaOytrk

How cool is this gang! Glad we have the bye week coming up...saw TvR in the hallway and he said he was "coming along nicely" so hopefully that means good things! Sorry to hear about MacDonald

Will be at Lawlor for one...first trip there as well.. Later!
                              Sorry about the reminder Must have been a fun game to watch in person though. The next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting! I'm not sure if Connolly is right about UNH being a lock for 4th just yet but we're getting closer anyway Take care of biz at MC and they might just do it.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                I'm not sure if Connolly is right about UNH being a lock for 4th ...
                                Clearly not yet. A ME/NU split next week drops them to fifth without accounting for PC. JB's take on "who's in / who's out" indicates UNH could finish down at 7 or as high as 2. I haven't played with permutations myself, but down to 7 looks a lot easier than up to 2. I "feel" like 5 is pretty solid, and 4 a "strong" possibility if they win out. And why wouldn't they.

Go 'Cats
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X