RPI 2013/14 Part III: Maximum Overdrivel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14 Part III: Maximum Overdrivel

Thanks for the shout out in the Union thread, Ralph. If I wer confident that most of them knew how to read a box plot, I would think my graph would help show why the mean is a bad way to report PIM. I didn't put the mean on the plot, but RPI (and a couple of other teams, including Union) have means above their third quartile.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
      So much deflection happening in the Union thread right now I can't handle it. Again, let the hilarity continue.
      "but... but... but Schott only said he APPEARS to strike a student!"

Apparently video is capable of lying in Schenectady. Or maybe Occam's Razor suggests to them that the most logical explanation is that RPI altered the tapes to show Bodie starting the whole thing with one of the cheapest of cheap shots and White Mike Tyson connecting with a shot to Bubela's head.

And how can you not love the blowing off of statistical analysis based solely on the factor of the inability to understand it? Comedy gold. Almost everything Union does, from their banners to their banter, it almost seems like they want to be laughed at.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        Thanks for the shout out in the Union thread, Ralph. If I wer confident that most of them knew how to read a box plot, I would think my graph would help show why the mean is a bad way to report PIM. I didn't put the mean on the plot, but RPI (and a couple of other teams, including Union) have means above their third quartile.
        Even if they can't read it, they should realize that RPI's box is typical for the league and not nearly the highest.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If anything, they'd see the top point of their box and use that to show they're the least penalized team in the ECAC.

Comment

So much deflection happening in the Union thread right now I can't handle it. Again, let the hilarity continue.

By the way, we're all nerds for doing stat analysis and pointing out how most metrics are massively flawed. Just take that as a point of pride. Any time you use the term "standard deviation" it makes everyone go bonkers with accusations about how nerdy we are (here's me thinking it was a basic high school senior-level mathematics concept). Engineering onward!
            To quote the dudes from NMU: "I was told there'd be no math..."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              "but... but... but Schott only said he APPEARS to strike a student!"

Apparently video is capable of lying in Schenectady. Or maybe Occam's Razor suggests to them that the most logical explanation is that RPI altered the tapes to show Bodie starting the whole thing with one of the cheapest of cheap shots and White Mike Tyson connecting with a shot to Bubela's head.

And how can you not love the blowing off of statistical analysis based solely on the factor of the inability to understand it? Comedy gold. Almost everything Union does, from their banners to their banter, it almost seems like they want to be laughed at.
              I could be wrong, but I do believe that Union has finally taken over as our top rival. We haven't had this kind of discussion involving Clarkson in ages.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                I could be wrong, but I do believe that Union has finally taken over as our top rival. We haven't had this kind of discussion involving Clarkson in ages.
                This has been the case for years. Also, Clarkson fans basically left the board, so they make their presumably foolish comments out of sight.

Maybe that's why Union fans want to start their own message board. Always better to say dumb things in private than in public. One does wonder if all four of their fans are going to be participating, though.

Comment

thanks for the shout out in the union thread, ralph. If i were confident that most of them knew how to read...i'd post there.
                  fyp.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    We haven't had this type of "incident" involving Clarkson in ages.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This has been the case for years. Also, Clarkson fans basically left the board, so they make their presumably foolish comments out of sight.

Maybe that's why Union fans want to start their own message board. Always better to say dumb things in private than in public. One does wonder if all four of their fans are going to be participating, though.
                      This coming from someone who wanted to create an own board for RPI.

Comment

Not all of us, we just enjoy posting in other team's threads. Our comments may be foolish, but I think what I'm reading on the Union thread surpasses anything we could come up with.
                        And, just for old times sake, RIP! RIP!
                        Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                        Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                          Not all of us, we just enjoy posting in other team's threads. Our comments may be foolish, but I think what I'm reading on the Union thread surpasses anything we could come up with.p
                          You're not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            This coming from someone who wanted to create an own board for RPI.
                            Uh... what? Are you off your meds again?

Comment

Uh... what? Are you off your meds again?
                              No, I just have a good memory. And it's still within statute of limitations.

Comment

By the way, we're all nerds for doing stat analysis and pointing out how most metrics are massively flawed. Just take that as a point of pride. Any time you use the term "standard deviation" it makes everyone go bonkers with accusations about how nerdy we are (here's me thinking it was a basic high school senior-level mathematics concept). Engineering onward!

"Standard deviation" to us is a statistical term, elsewhere they merely have standards for how deviant they are as people....
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X