Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Only 3 days left to get your Quarterfinal Round Picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs.
    You have until 7PM Friday.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I think renovations are the only viable alternative.

I don't know. With all the movement of outdoor athletic facilities to the old Ramada sight, I think there is room. I personally think a new 3,000 seat arena, designed similar to Messa is in order. Have seatbacks, more bathrooms and concessions, an alumni room and still keep a low roof, seats on the glass intimidating type of building. Money, as always, is obviously an issue. Maybe they should start a capital campaign for a new building now! They actually should have about 3-4 years ago. Get the alumni and local businesses involved.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
        I don't know. With all the movement of outdoor athletic facilities to the old Ramada sight, I think there is room. I personally think a new 3,000 seat arena, designed similar to Messa is in order. Have seatbacks, more bathrooms and concessions, an alumni room and still keep a low roof, seats on the glass intimidating type of building. Money, as always, is obviously an issue. Maybe they should start a capital campaign for a new building now! They actually should have about 3-4 years ago. Get the alumni and local businesses involved.
        The college just closed the books on a $250,000,000 capital campaign. Can't they spare $10 or $15,000,000? Price Chopper should be name sponsor and put the place up right across the street from their corporate HQ.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          Yale did it too, they actually had to go underground to find the space for the new locker rooms, offices and training facilities, to the tune of 23 million donated dollars. The Union building needs to be fire sprinklered above some hopefully revamped comfortable seating with proper egress stairs and exit paths. I was so stuck in my seat at the sold out game that I really did not get to see the whole building. The only thing I found distinctive about the building was the roof, which is actually the biggest hinderance to an expansion of the space. It would be interesting to see what is actually under the upper wooden bleachers where i sat, there has to be a company out there that can create some sort of modular seating plan that will replace the high school bleachers. Sorry for the rant, of all the teams in the ECAC that I have seen this year including my home boys, I think U has the best shot at going all the way, good luck this week.
          Good feedback.

I say they should drop the ice to the basement (street) level, push the bleachers (better yet, real seats) against the glass, use the vertical space to add a second level of seats, even just a couple of rows deep (press box style, Ken will be happy) and have a concourse at the top of the bleachers (like at Quinnipiac or Harvard, where you walk down to your seat). The current stairs are way too tall for older folks or people who have joint issues. You can have a handicapped accessible entrance at street level (which is really the basement), and the concession stand can be where it is now, somewhere under the seats. Also under the seats, locker rooms. New bathroom can be built towards the football field (there is a bit of space there), and the spirit shop can go in the entrance (they can get a permanent display so they don’t have to use camping tables), right next to the new ticket office (also at street level)… While they’re at it, get a video board. The roof, which is a big part of the atmosphere of the building will stay as is, provided the team adds an NCAA title banner.
          Build a new building to house the office space and the gym, on the old soccer field for example.
          Let's go Union !
          ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
          ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
          NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

The college just closed the books on a $250,000,000 capital campaign. Can't they spare $10 or $15,000,000?
            I'll bet it's already spent. Budgeting at that level is an elaborate game of catching up for past sins and planning white elephants to ensure the next promotion.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
              Good feedback.

I say they should drop the ice to the basement (street) level, push the bleachers (better yet, real seats) against the glass, use the vertical space to add a second level of seats, even just a couple of rows deep (press box style, Ken will be happy) and have a concourse at the top of the bleachers (like at Quinnipiac or Harvard, where you walk down to your seat). The current stairs are way too tall for older folks or people who have joint issues. You can have a handicapped accessible entrance at street level (which is really the basement), and the concession stand can be where it is now, somewhere under the seats. Also under the seats, locker rooms. New bathroom can be built towards the football field (there is a bit of space there), and the spirit shop can go in the entrance (they can get a permanent display so they don’t have to use camping tables), right next to the new ticket office (also at street level)… While they’re at it, get a video board. The roof, which is a big part of the atmosphere of the building will stay as is, provided the team adds an NCAA title banner.
              Build a new building to house the office space and the gym, on the old soccer field for example.
              I like your changes to the building! Except that it would probably cost more than a new one.

Comment

IMHO undergrads should always have bleachers. They generate great noise, you can jam in 2x the attendance over the fire code limit, and the little numbnuts' backs are still made of rubber. Plus they should be standing the whole game anyway.

But for townies, butt-fitting seats with backs are unfortunately essential.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Neiley's Play at Rensselaer Earns ECAC Player of the Week Honors
                  http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewA...B_OEM_ID=11600

Here is the video
                  http://www.dartmouthsports.com/media...B_OEM_ID=11600

Warning ... if you are an RPI Fan, this could be very painful to watch.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
                    Good feedback.

I'd heard something similar to this, though can't remember where. Also included pushing out one of the ends (probably toward the football field) so could have seating behind the nets. One problem with a major rehab is that it would likely take more than 6 months to complete and where would the team play in the interim? There is no suitable facility in Schenectady county and would seem a bad idea to be off-campus for a whole season just as the team is getting very good. A new facility would allow using Messa until it is done and then, voila', turn it into parking! (that should make some RPI fans happy ). As Nottme notes, the delta on cost for rehab vs. new may also not be that much of a difference to make it worthwhile. Some rough numbers - Qpac built new rink & bouncyball facility for $52M in 2007, probably would be over $60M today so say $30-40M for a new facility.. versus Yale upgrading/rehab for $23M. I say build something new for 2500-3000 capacity.. of course getting the $$ is the question, but if they can't do it now probably will never happen.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I'll bet it's already spent. Budgeting at that level is an elaborate game of catching up for past sins and planning white elephants to ensure the next promotion.
                      No doubt. Also, major renovations to dorms and other capital improvements are likely at the head of the line. Still something has to be done. I just hope it's not a band aid approach.

Off topic, but Haggerty signs with the Rangers. Didn't see that one coming, but I guess maybe I should have.

Also, Cole Ikkala is trailing badly in the Senior CLASS vote. He deserves our help. http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2013-14/
                      Last edited by Wholin1; 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                        I'd heard something similar to this, though can't remember where. Also included pushing out one of the ends (probably toward the football field) so could have seating behind the nets. One problem with a major rehab is that it would likely take more than 6 months to complete and where would the team play in the interim? There is no suitable facility in Schenectady county and would seem a bad idea to be off-campus for a whole season just as the team is getting very good. A new facility would allow using Messa until it is done and then, voila', turn it into parking! (that should make some RPI fans happy ). As Nottme notes, the delta on cost for rehab vs. new may also not be that much of a difference to make it worthwhile. Some rough numbers - Qpac built new rink & bouncyball facility for $52M in 2007, probably would be over $60M today so say $30-40M for a new facility.. versus Yale upgrading/rehab for $23M. I say build something new for 2500-3000 capacity.. of course getting the $$ is the question, but if they can't do it now probably will never happen.
                        I think Colgate just committed about $30MMM to a brand new facility. I can't see doing one for much less than that, and without a huge lead gift, that's not going to happen.

Comment

Rick Bennett is a finalist for the Tim Taylor Coach of the Year award.

Comment

Also, Cole Ikkala is trailing badly in the Senior CLASS vote. He deserves our help. http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2013-14/
                            I reached out to social media. Maybe it helps. He would certainly be a deserving winner.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                              Rick Bennett is a finalist for the Tim Taylor Coach of the Year award.
                              He has got my vote .... lots of good coaches in the ECAC by the way .... two to three more medium to good years and Bennett will have the best record (percentage) of all active D1 coaches with over 100 wins. Not bad Coach, not all that bad ....
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                He has got my vote .... lots of good coaches in the ECAC by the way .... two to three more medium to good years and Bennett will have the best record (percentage) of all active D1 coaches with over 100 wins. Not bad Coach, not all that bad ....
                                Some other numbers:

Bennett already has 72 wins, which is fourth all-time at Union behind Leaman (138), Morrison (122) and Delventhal (89). Not surprisingly, Bennett's winning percentage (.696) is second only to Ned Harkness' .861.

Comment

Working...
                                X