Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Frankly, you guys are a little too concerned about the band... Apparently some of you missed the hockey game that was being played. I barely notice the band at home games, not because you can hear them, but because I am actually more interested in the game then the band.

I suspect a few of you must have been in the band...
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

• Re: the UVM band - I like that they were there. As already mentioned, it added to the atmosphere. Who cares if they sounded good or not? I like the spirit that they tried to bring along. Anyway, back to the game...

Maybe I am more pessimistic than most - but I do not think UML dominated the first period. There was a 5 minute segment where they seemed to dominate and could have scored 3 goals. Other than that, UVM played them equally if not better. UVM's "will and determination" was certainly on display.

The second period was dominated by UVM. Hats off to a great effort.

In the beginning of the 3rd period, I expected UML to come out buzzing. But it was not there. UVM actually had the intensity at the beginning of that period. Fortunately the period is 20 minutes long because it took awhile for our guys to finally wake up. Let's hope they come out and play the entire 60 with intensity tonight and put this series to bed.

Wish I was going tonight,but we have tix for a show at Stoneham Theatre. Have fun tonight! Go UML!
      University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

• Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        Yeah, to the Garden. Has anyone here EVER seen an opposing band in another teams barn in the QFs? I haven't.
        Merrimack's at Maine 2 of 3, it happens a lot in ECAC
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          I am with DLG. I can't believe you guys are p od about the band being there and playing. We were sitting 2 sections away and probably heard their real sound which for the most part wasn't bad. If the team played all 3 periods instead of taking the 2nd off (which is when the UVM band really got their fans going) it wouldn't have been as annoying. I was more annoyed our fans had no response. I thought our fans looked like they were on Thorazine half the game. No chants, no nothing. If our fans were really active the band would have been much less noticeable.

They must have said something to them about being miked and cheering because that abruptly stopped. That is not OK and it isn't part of good band etiquette. Not classy at all.
          I agree with you 100 percent about the UVM band being there. Kudos to them for making the trip although me thinks they left their tuning forks on the bus (how is sounded from Sect 106). The miked cheering was annoying as hell so I was certainly happy when that ceased. The response from the UML fan base by and large was anemic although the lower section of 105 and the upper of 107 were making their best efforts to motivate the rest of the place.

IMO it was another disappointing effort from the Riverhawks (even with the win); they keep games be closer than they should be. They should have been up 3-1 at the end of the first but once again displayed their lack of ability to finish. I thought Hoffman looked uncomfortable from the get go and Lowell didn't press the matter enough. Their edge in shots was a bit misleading because it wasn't a complete domination; it seemed more segmented. The PK was good; the PP not so much. Speaking of which Hellebuyck played an un-Hellebuyck game. He's usually in complete control of rebounds and steering/deflecting them to the corners; last night he was putting many of them right back out front. I agree about Folin's play; disagree about Campbell who stunk up the place until his goal. The guys behind us were calling for his benching early in the second so I know it wasn't just me. Wilson was the best Riverhawks player by far; both skating and in physicality. I'm hoping for a more complete game but am expecting another nail biter. Please prove me wrong Riverhawks.
          Last edited by ULowell'81; 03-15-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
            Re: the UVM band - I like that they were there. As already mentioned, it added to the atmosphere. Who cares if they sounded good or not? I like the spirit that they tried to bring along. Anyway, back to the game...

Maybe I am more pessimistic than most - but I do not think UML dominated the first period. There was a 5 minute segment where they seemed to dominate and could have scored 3 goals. Other than that, UVM played them equally if not better. UVM's "will and determination" was certainly on display.

The second period was dominated by UVM. Hats off to a great effort.

In the beginning of the 3rd period, I expected UML to come out buzzing. But it was not there. UVM actually had the intensity at the beginning of that period. Fortunately the period is 20 minutes long because it took awhile for our guys to finally wake up. Let's hope they come out and play the entire 60 with intensity tonight and put this series to bed.

Wish I was going tonight,but we have tix for a show at Stoneham Theatre. Have fun tonight! Go UML!
            For me its more about home ice control. I'm not interested in giving them any quarter.

I would have thought they'd be in Albany but after last night I suppose that isn't an option.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Game article from the Burlington Free Press.
              http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...102/303140046/

Game highlights.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBfH...layer_embedded

Lowell Sun article.
              http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_253...ell?source=nav

According to Sun, Mark Howe and Steve Yzerman were at the game last night.
              Last edited by boblav1; 03-15-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I am with DLG. I can't believe you guys are p od about the band being there and playing. We were sitting 2 sections away and probably heard their real sound which for the most part wasn't bad. If the team played all 3 periods instead of taking the 2nd off (which is when the UVM band really got their fans going) it wouldn't have been as annoying. I was more annoyed our fans had no response. I thought our fans looked like they were on Thorazine half the game. No chants, no nothing. If our fans were really active the band would have been much less noticeable.

They must have said something to them about being miked and cheering because that abruptly stopped. That is not OK and it isn't part of good band etiquette. Not classy at all.
                Higher seeds earned their home ice. Why they'd want to give away anything to the opponent makes zero sense to me. Plus they were painfully bad.
                Lowell Forever
                Forever Lowell

Comment

• By the way, good attendance last night and a strong and surprising amount of students. Only BC had a larger crowd last night. Figure we should have over 4k tonight.

Also, credit to UVM, large amount of their fans at the game. Happy to see that. Just next time, leave your band behind.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Funny how those ushers suddenly appeared behind the UVM band. Wonder how that happened and then suddenly, the in-play amplified cheering stopped?
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      Higher seeds earned their home ice. Why they'd want to give away anything to the opponent makes zero sense to me. Plus they were painfully bad.

I am sure the league requires a % of tickets be given to the road team, even if most dont use alot of them. Just be glad you dont have Cornell or Clarkson's bands as they were
                      both loud and very creative especailly Cornell.
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

According to Sun, Mark Howe and Steve Yzerman were at the game last night.
                        I recognized Yzerman on the concourse during the 2nd intermission. Didn't recognize the guy he was talking to - obviously it was Mark Howe.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                          I recognized Yzerman on the concourse during the 2nd intermission. Didn't recognize the guy he was talking to - obviously it was Mark Howe.
                          If they were there to scout Folin we'll be guaranteed to have him a couple more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                            According to Mr les teams can bring a band anytime in the season or post season play. We were not "giving anything away" to let another team's band play. You play a good game and the other band is floundering to get anything going. Obstructing another fan band from coming to me would show a lack of confidence and class on our part. Again, if we are amazing no one gives a rat's a55 about the other band.

From where I was sitting they weren't that bad (I played an instrument, marched for years so I pay attention to bands more than most). The balance on amplification must have been bad. There were a few times I had to look to see which band was playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                              If they were there to scout Folin we'll be guaranteed to have him a couple more years.
                              That pair struggled mightily.

Comment

I think we were outplayed almost the entire game. We stole one last night.
                                UML started the first period well but UVM took over I thought until about 10 minutes into the third.
                                Wilson looked great out there but a lot of the guys I look for as far as hustle and getting under the other teams skin just didn't show up.
                                Holmstrom, McGrath? What happened?
                                Usually you can count on White and Campbell to be flying up and down the ice, really working hard in the offensive zone too and they just seemed disconnected.

If UML shows up the same way tonight, this series will be going to game 3.

Also, that interference call to end the game I thought was pretty weak. It's been said on this board before, and recently, if you're going to be bad, just be bad consistently.

Comment

Working...
                                X