Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    Exactly. Every time I see the recruiting thread is updated I'm hoping to god it's a defenseman.

Was anyone on the boards lucky enough to be one of the 5 STH to go to the coach talk?

Here's my issue with that event - it's a breakfast and chalk talk with the coach, and only five STH were picked to go? Who are the other spots reserved for? This University has a stupid promotion every game of the season, sometimes two a game, and yet when they actually run something that real hockey fans would love to be a part of (discussion with the coach) admission is guarded like it's the Presidential Inauguration. Sure, don't worry about it, Lowell. I may not get to hear the coach talk about X's and O's and recruiting, but at least I got Star Wars Night!! What a joke.

I don't expect it to be the way it was in the MacDonald era, where anybody could show up and 12 of us would, but access this limited is ridiculous and inexcusable.
    Sometimes the things that p o you just amaze me. It makes much more sense to do things that involve large numbers of fans like promos. Personally, I don't look back to the McDonald era with any sort of fondness. The vibe was distinctly negative, even when things were going well. I will take star wars nite over making 12 people happy. Just sayin'. PS Have you actually talked to anyone at the school about this?

Originally posted by HawkUnderground View Post
    Let's not forget that BC doesn't have to play D all that much because they're in the offensive zone most of the time.
    I was trying to compliment Demko, what the heck happened.
    You picked up a troll. Don't feed him and eventually he will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
      Is hellbuck leaving after this season with Folin and others?
      We're all wondering the same about Hellebuyck. Not really sure, all depends on if the NHL team that own's his rights think he's developing well at Lowell or not, I suppose.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        We're all wondering the same about Hellebuyck. Not really sure, all depends on if the NHL team that own's his rights think he's developing well at Lowell or not, I suppose.
        WPG has Al Montoya so .... I'd want Hellebuyck like yesterday. That said I doubt he goes anywhere. It's not often you see goaltenders bolt early... Montoya was probably the last to do so and look how that turned out
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

First, I was ecstatic with the result Saturday night. Maybe it was me, but it certainly felt like Lowell figured out a way past the BC pressure. Sure it only took 5.5 periods, but once they did, seemed like an awful amount of UML 3-2’s in the last of the third and OT.

What surprised me most about BC was the play of the defense. Talk about giving fits to the offense, that BC defense is just magnificent – and they are missing their best dman (if I am not mistaken).

What surprised me about Lowell was keeping the first line to 0 goals in 5v5 action. Credit “Johnny Hockey” with 2 PPG goals, but shutting down that line was just filthy.

For the UVM game, it’s really about UML playing clean and staying out of the box. If they can do that, I see it very challenging for UVM to win a game. This is no disrespect to UVM or their program. I just don’t see UVM beating Lowell 5v5. Especially not with our D and goaltending. However we all know there will be penalties, and it all depends if UVM can take advantage on the PP. If they can create opportunity on the PP – different story, but their PP is not strong as they are in the lower half of the conference. Note: PP for UVM is based on total games on the year. Also NOTE: PK for Lowell is worst in HE, based on total games on the year.

Another interesting note, UVM scores 43% of their goals in the third period. Lowell scores 28% in the third. According to the stats the interesting trend with Lowell is they score early, sit and play D for the remainder of the game. I would be interesting to see what occurs when UVM goes on the PP in the third.
          "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
          make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
            In terms of the noise level after the tying goal on Saturday, the only other time I remember the Tsongas being that loud was last year after Lowell pulled that 3 goal comeback out of their keister against NU.
            I also loved the noise level when the Hawks returned to face off circle after BC's timeout. I still can't believe the amount of people that were in the build. At least 3 or 4 deep on the concourse all the way around. There were even people lined up below the pavilion, including Marty Meehan. It was a very impressive sight to see a t-shirt on every seat before the game. It was great job by the school and a great night for the program.

Comment

BTW, good for Buco ... he's got a 6-9-15 in 9 games at UMass Boston.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                Which is why looking at conference stats makes actual sense. .
                no it doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                  no it doesn't
                  It doesn't make sense to look at games where they played the same opponents when comparing stats? Hmmm, I guess we have different ideas of what makes sense...
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    It doesn't make sense to look at games where they played the same opponents when comparing stats? Hmmm, I guess we have different ideas of what makes sense...
                    yeah, i just think you have to include all the games. If your two vs BU was in November vs my two vs them was this past weekend, not the same team. Stuff like that. That being said, Carr was phenomenal Saturday night. Demko couldnt see the first goal, was screened and had no chance on the second, he was pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                      Or you can look at the entire season, not just the conference games, since the stats from the other games do count as well:

Demko 13-1-3 1.74/.937
                      Hellebuyck 12-6-2 1.90/.938
                      Carr 8-2-2 1.80/.936

Seems like Demko is "right there" with them.

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to find any stat that looks good for Lowell.

Demko is very very good but overrated. His stats are nice and all but he has the best defense in Hockey East. McCoshen, Santini, Matheson etc. He also is under little pressure to perform because if he gave up 4 goals a game BC would still be winning most of those games thanks to a juggernaut offense.

Let's compare here:

Demko has only had to make 444 saves this season in 17 appearances. That's 26 shots a game.
                      Hellebuyck has had to make 579 saves in 20 games, that's 30 shots a game.
                      Witt has had to make 917 saves in 27 games, that's 34 shots a game.

Demko doesn't face that many shots a night and with a defense like that in front of him, they are probably pretty low quality chances most of the time.

So to simply look at the stats and conclude he is "well past them" is kind of unfounded.
                      Last edited by SkinsFan09; 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post

So to simply look at the stats and conclude he is "well past them" is kind of unfounded.
                        At the end of the day the only one that matters is "Wins" ...the rest is noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                          At the end of the day the only one that matters is "Wins" ...the rest is noise.
                          Wins are indeed all that matter but they don't determine the best player if someone decides to start a discussion on it.
                          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                            Or you can look at the entire season, not just the conference games, since the stats from the other games do count as well:

Demko 13-1-3 1.74/.937
                            Hellebuyck 12-6-2 1.90/.938
                            Carr 8-2-2 1.80/.936

Seems like Demko is "right there" with them.

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to find any stat that looks good for Lowell.
                            He's also nearly 7 years younger than Carr

edit: (he being Demko)
                            Last edited by claver2010; 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                              Wins are indeed all that matter but they don't determine the best player if someone decides to start a discussion on it.
                              Fair enough but to someone's point here (forgot who wrote it). There are way too many variables in play here..what does the D look like, do they block shots for goalie A but not as many for B, etc...

Comment

Doug Carr named HEA Co-Defensive Player of the WEEK.
                                http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...02/feb24wr.php

Comment

Working...
                                X