College Hockey in the US...How it all began

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey in the US...How it all began

I think this is worth a view for those of you interested in the history of the game.

Three of the trail blazers part of that Original "Pembroke Pandas" team were in attendance at the recent 50th anniversary celebration.

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/w-h...ockey50thFINAL

The current Brown team wore vintage jerseys in the game commemorating this historic occasion. All current college players can thank some of these trail blazers to help pave the path for them all these years ago.

Re: College Hockey in the US...How it all began

Thanks for sharing! Nice link.

Comment

Remember when women's colleges within universities had distinct names? Pembroke....Jackson....Radcliffe......now is Barnard the only one remaining? The Radcliffe name still persists in crew, but all other Harvard sports have long since abandoned the Radcliffe name. Wonder when the Pembroke-to-Brown transfiguration occurred. And note that Radcliffe, unlike the Pembroke Pandas, has no nickname or mascot. According to Wikipedia (which, I suspect, like Thurber's Golux tends to make things up at times) Barnard's mascot is "Millie, the dancing Barnard Bear." Oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
        Remember when women's colleges within universities had distinct names? Pembroke....Jackson....Radcliffe......now is Barnard the only one remaining? The Radcliffe name still persists in crew, but all other Harvard sports have long since abandoned the Radcliffe name. Wonder when the Pembroke-to-Brown transfiguration occurred. And note that Radcliffe, unlike the Pembroke Pandas, has no nickname or mascot. According to Wikipedia (which, I suspect, like Thurber's Golux tends to make things up at times) Barnard's mascot is "Millie, the dancing Barnard Bear." Oh my.
        Not sure when the Pembroke to Brown change occurred, but if memory serves me correctly, sometime in the 70's. I'll look at the wall of fame pictures at Meehan next time I'm there. It will tell the tale.

In the meantime here is an interesting timeline for Female Sports at Brown. It shows that as recent as the early to mid nineties, women were still fighting for equal rights.

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Pem...l_Timeline.pdf

Comment

Another article worth reading:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArch...aa%2Bnews.html

Comment

Oh the Tribulations of Establishing a Varsity Program

At least Pembroke was first in the nation on the ice and didn't have to run into the buzzsaw of playing previously established teams.

All of us Cantabs love to work into any conversation the fact that once, when Boston College's women's ice hockey program was transitioning from club to varsity status, the Crimson defeated the Eagles by a score of 17-2.

This thread impelled me to look up the origins of Harvard's women's hockey and what did I find out?....that when the Crimson took the ice for the very first time, Providence College spanked them by a score of....17-zip!

Comment

All of us Cantabs love to work into any conversation the fact that once, when Boston College's women's ice hockey program was transitioning from club to varsity status, the Crimson defeated the Eagles by a score of 17-2.
              When Harvard destroyed BC 17-2 back in 2002-03, the Eagles had already been a D-I team for a number of years. For example, they had beaten Harvard 7-2 back in 1996. The Eagles just didn't care that much about women's hockey because BU was still a club team.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                The Eagles just didn't care that much about women's hockey because BU was still a club team.
                Now there is some history fodder for TTT. BU can take all the credit for the resurgence of BC women's hockey.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 01-29-2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

When Harvard destroyed BC 17-2 back in 2002-03, the Eagles had already been a D-I team for a number of years. For example, they had beaten Harvard 7-2 back in 1996. The Eagles just didn't care that much about women's hockey because BU was still a club team.
                  At that time the team only had two full scholarships, and as I understand it both were held back that year by Head Coach Tom Babson for incoming coach Tom Mutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    At that time the team only had two full scholarships, and as I understand it both were held back that year by Head Coach Tom Babson for incoming coach Tom Mutch.
                    Thanks for the information. Giving a program only two scholarships is one indication that a school doesn't care very much. It doesn't make it a club program, it makes it lacking in resources due to an apathetic athletic department where that sport is concerned.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for the information. Giving a program only two scholarships is one indication that a school doesn't care very much. It doesn't make it a club program, it makes it lacking in resources due to an apathetic athletic department where that sport is concerned.
                      Clearly, that has changed at Chestnut Hill.
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Re: Oh the Tribulations of Establishing a Varsity Program

At least Pembroke was first in the nation on the ice and didn't have to run into the buzzsaw of playing previously established teams.

This thread impelled me to look up the origins of Harvard's women's hockey and what did I find out?....that when the Crimson took the ice for the very first time, Providence College spanked them by a score of....17-zip!
                        If memory serves correct, the first coach of the Crimson, and one of the architects of starting the program at Harvard, was Joe Bertagna, currently the Commissioner of Hockey East.

Comment

Re: Oh the Tribulations of Establishing a Varsity Program

Pictorial of Celebration: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1547362&type=1

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                            Not sure when the Pembroke to Brown change occurred, but if memory serves me correctly, sometime in the 70's. I'll look at the wall of fame pictures at Meehan next time I'm there. It will tell the tale.
                            I was a Pembroke Panda in the early 1970s. Pembroke merged with Brown in the winter of 1971. The Pandas remained the Pandas for a decade or so after the merger, then finally became the Bears like the men. (Thank God they didn't call themselves the "Lady Bears" -- I can't stand all those "Lady" names for women's teams! I mean... the Lady Friars? Really? How does that make sense? LOL)

Playing women's ice hockey back then was a trip... and by trip, I mean we had to pay our own way by bus to Montreal every winter to play in a women's tournament at McGill. We really had almost no teams to play against in the U.S. I think Colby College was one of the earliest at the college level. There were some women's club teams in RI and MA that we scrimmaged with.

Title IX gradually eliminated many of the inequalities with men's programs. Hoorah for that!

The day the U.S. women played Canada in the Nagano Winter Olympics for the first women's hockey gold medal ever, I stayed home from work to watch the game. I was in tears when we won! It was so moving to see how the sport had progressed and come into its own. And we had some great Brown stars on those teams -- Tara Mounsey and Katie King on Team USA, and Becky Kellar on Team Canada. We even had an alum on Team Japan, and I'm sorry I've forgotten her name.

Thanks for letting me share a few memories. I didn't attend the big 50th-anniversary party last weekend for a variety of reasons, not least that I feel Brown's administration hasn't supported the hockey program -- men's OR women's -- adequately for years now and I'm fed up with that benign neglect. Good to remember the golden years before expansion and scholarship programs started siphoning the top players away from Brown and other Ivies. And proud of where women's college hockey is today.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                              I was a Pembroke Panda in the early 1970s. Pembroke merged with Brown in the winter of 1971. The Pandas remained the Pandas for a decade or so after the merger, then finally became the Bears like the men. (Thank God they didn't call themselves the "Lady Bears" -- I can't stand all those "Lady" names for women's teams! I mean... the Lady Friars? Really? How does that make sense? LOL)
                              I agree, the "Lady" stuff, at any level, is lame.

Comment

Working...
                              X