Minnesota hosts Michigan State: 1/31 & 2/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota hosts Michigan State: 1/31 & 2/1

It appears MSU has a new theme song for their 2013-14 hockey season: “We will…We will…BLOCK you” (sorry couldn’t resist it ). The only claim to fame for MSU amidst another rollercoaster season under Tom Anastos is their current #2 NCAA ranking (Holy Cross is #1 by .01) of 18 blocked shots per game (Gophers/#42). That was clearly evident in the first meeting of these two teams, where Sparty blocked 24 and the Gophers only 5. As a result, Sparty’s block shot tirade this season has translated into a #18 NCAA ranking in fewest goals against per game at 2.43 (Gophers are #3/2.04). Another aspect of MSU’s game the Gophers will see a lot of this weekend is shot attempts and SOG. In their first game of the series in December (a tie with MSU winning the shootout), MSU attempted a whopping 95 shots (Gophers/91) with 33 of them landing on net.

Overall, Sparty matches up fairly well with the Gophers with surprising team speed, physicality, a good transition game, and aggressive/heads up D that will attempt to keep shots on the perimeter by blocking a ton of shots. The talented freshman line of Ebbing, MacEachern and Haag have wheels and I expect this line to swarm the Gopher net and present another challenge for Wilcox to be his typical stellar-self this weekend. MSU is led by goal scoring leaders and upperclassmen, Greg Wolfe and Micheal Ferrantino, and both have the ability to get up and down the ice with good speed. Sophomore goalie Jake Hildebrand has played surprising well, despite MSU’s losing record of 8-12-3, with a 92.7 SV% (Wilcox/92.9 SV%).

MSU is coming off a disappointing sweep at home by Michigan, but kept it close in the first game losing with just over 2 min. left. Anastos was visibly ticked off afterwards and sounded off on his team’s poor play:

“I didn’t like our approach to the game. I felt it earlier in the day. I didn’t like it. It’s best that I’m careful what I say so that I don’t say too many stupid things, but we’ve got to grow up. You get humbled in your own building. You’ve got to take pride wearing that jersey representing the people you represent and it takes 100 percent commitment 100 percent of the time. We played a really good team who was ready to play, hungry to play, and they were hungrier to play than us – and that’s unacceptable. If you lose because you’re out-talented, that’s one thing, but if you’re not ready, that’s totally within your control and that’s on me to make sure that me and our staff find guys that are all in and tonight I didn’t feel we had that, and that’s bothersome to me.”
    Anastos is hoping his verbal spanking pays dividends this weekend. I expect he'll have his players tuned and primed for battle from the puck drop, and attempt to match the Gopher's intensity and speed on offense while putting lots of pucks on net. If Hildebrand finds his zone in net this weekend, and MSU can find some consistency on offense...game on man and the Gophers will need to be prepared for a physical battle. Bottom line: with some tougher B1G series coming up with the BADgers and Uglies, we NEED these points this weekend. Go Gophers! RAH!

Comment

Brodzinski being out is too bad. He has one of those shots that isn't blistering, but low and easy to deflect. Always seems to find a way through. A good asset against a defensive team like MSU.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        MSU fans, don't all post at once now, let us get a word in too.
        Can I get a WITNESS!?!
        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

This series will showcase two of the top goalies in the nation. Jake Hildebrand was named Big Ten first star twice in the past 4 weeks. He was honored January 20 after he stopped 77/79 SOG in the two game series with the Penn St. and previously on December 31, 2013. Both he and Adam Wilcox are Hobey Baker Nominees this season. Currently, Adam Wilcox is trailing frontrunners Johnny Gaudreau of BC, Ryan Faragher of SCSU, Ben Hutton of Maine and Union's Shayne Gostisbehere by about 4000-5000 votes. Vote Adam Wilcox for the 2014 Hobey Baker Award >>> HERE.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU

Pre-game on!

Comment

To all of you Gopher fans who are not going to the game tonight:

Since the men's game doesn't start until 8:00pm you might want to turn your TV set on an hour early and catch part of the Gopher women's game against North Dakota.

'Extra fire' on both sides of Gophers-UND women's hockey rivalry
              http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...242870371.html

They are on Fox College Sports Central (FCSC), which at least on my Comcast package (Twin Cities) is Channel 263.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Directv 626 is tonight Gophers women game for us Directv viewer.
                Go Gophers Go.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  To all of you Gopher fans who are not going to the game tonight:

Since the men's game doesn't start until 8:00pm you might want to turn your TV set on an hour early and catch part of the Gopher women's game against North Dakota.

'Extra fire' on both sides of Gophers-UND women's hockey rivalry
                  http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...242870371.html

They are on Fox College Sports Central (FCSC), which at least on my Comcast package (Twin Cities) is Channel 263.
                  Good news! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                    Why, oh why did you do that. Now that awful song is stuck. Maybe next it'll be Vivaldi's Four Seasons? What say I go home and listen to some Don Van Vliet to cleanse my musical palate, as it were. Sun Zoom Spark. Then on to crush Sparty.

Comment

I am already tired of the shoot out Its so lame. I wish the NHL never started it.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

What is it with you guys and sparty? Granted, you technically haven't lost to them but still...
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I had a feeling Sparty would steal some points this weekend. We have to clean up our turnovers in the defensive zone.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            What is it with you guys and sparty? Granted, you technically haven't lost to them but still...
                            We like ties when playing them I guess, a win tomorrow and all will be forgiven.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

Another B1G game, another with no intensity out of the Gophers at all. Save for the last minute of regulation and OT, I suppose.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                                I am already tired of the shoot out Its so lame. I wish the NHL never started it.
                                To be fair, the issue with the net could come up in a penalty shot as well, so one can't blame the shootout for that.

The shootout does still suck for completely unrelated reasons, though.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X