Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU @ UNO Fri/Sat Jan 31st/Feb 1st: We Wanna Fight, Where's Matt White?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCSU @ UNO Fri/Sat Jan 31st/Feb 1st: We Wanna Fight, Where's Matt White?!?

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
    Since this sorta already came up in this thread, I have a question for fellow SCSU fans regarding our attendance. I know our announced average has fallen, but is it being more accurately reported? I know that back in the days when we were averaging "6000+" per game every year, they were not only counting ticket sold, not tickets used, but also considering all 2000 (later 1500) student tickets as "sold" even if there were only 30 students in the building. Have they started counting, at least, only the student tickets used, and perhaps counting tickets used for all fans, which would mean that while official attendance has fallen to the mid-4000s, the actual attendance hasn't fallen as much? Or has actual attendance fallen off noticeably as well? Also, do we think that increased ticket prices means the program is making more money now than the late '90s, despite lower attendance?
    They should honestly take a couple of those corner sections in the upper deck and actually put them up for sale rather than leave them empty for the students.
    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
      Since this sorta already came up in this thread, I have a question for fellow SCSU fans regarding our attendance. I know our announced average has fallen, but is it being more accurately reported? I know that back in the days when we were averaging "6000+" per game every year, they were not only counting ticket sold, not tickets used, but also considering all 2000 (later 1500) student tickets as "sold" even if there were only 30 students in the building. Have they started counting, at least, only the student tickets used, and perhaps counting tickets used for all fans, which would mean that while official attendance has fallen to the mid-4000s, the actual attendance hasn't fallen as much? Or has actual attendance fallen off noticeably as well? Also, do we think that increased ticket prices means the program is making more money now than the late '90s, despite lower attendance?
      I have asked my friends that have season tickets this question and they all say the building has people in it. there was a 4 or 5 year stretch the people in the stands were 90% full and all the seats were sold. I know that because I had season tickets for 14 or 15 years adn I ahd them during that time.

Heck I remember back in the early 90's there would be 1,500 students at every game and maybe 3,500 total people in the building for most games. From what I have heard from friends who live in St. Cloud is just not a hockey town. People there tend to be cheap and now that tickets are $25 a pop a family of four in that community doesn't want to spend that type of money. Where I live in the northern suburbs that is a steal of a price for a quality D1 game. I think if they show games on tape delay in Cloud like they use too and dial back the ticket prices more people will go to games.
      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
        They should honestly take a couple of those corner sections in the upper deck and actually put them up for sale rather than leave them empty for the students.
        Nobody is buying tickets so that won't help. Students stopped going to the games when Kurtz tried to contol the students on what they could say and then he shrunk the students section. There was a few years very few students even went to games because they were chased away and it has never recovered. Students don't support the team like when we were students and its sad. The team for the most part when I was a students was 4th or 5th plae team yet the student section had 1,500 people in it every game and 2,000 for the big games. they don't get more than 600 or 700 students for regular games now.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
          I have asked my friends that have season tickets this question and they all say the building has people in it. there was a 4 or 5 year stretch the people in the stands were 90% full and all the seats were sold. I know that because I had season tickets for 14 or 15 years adn I ahd them during that time.

Heck I remember back in the early 90's there would be 1,500 students at every game and maybe 3,500 total people in the building for most games. From what I have heard from friends who live in St. Cloud is just not a hockey town. People there tend to be cheap and now that tickets are $25 a pop a family of four in that community doesn't want to spend that type of money. Where I live in the northern suburbs that is a steal of a price for a quality D1 game. I think if they show games on tape delay in Cloud like they use too and dial back the ticket prices more people will go to games.
          I think they have been trying to address the ticket price issue for the casual fan. The family four pack (4 tickets, 2 popcorns, 2 drinks) is 50 bucks, they had a few series where they were selling tickets for 15 bucks.

Actually as a season ticket holder I am starting to feel like I am getting screwed a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            No... I have self respect.
            You only gained that when you lost your SCSU hockey helmet.
            Last edited by Biddco; 01-31-2014, 09:39 AM.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
              Looks like I can get 1 month of Mavs All-Access for $10.95. Omaha! fans: I assume that includes the webcast for both games. How is the quality?
              Anyone?

Comment

Faragher has been pretty bad the last two weekends. Maybe you could lay some of the blame on the defense for the Friday game against WMU, but last weekend he let in some really soft goals and gave up a ton of rebounds. If he doesn't play better this weekend I hope Bob thinks about giving Lindgren some starts because we won't win many games with Faragher playing like he has been lately.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  Faragher has been pretty bad the last two weekends. Maybe you could lay some of the blame on the defense for the Friday game against WMU, but last weekend he let in some really soft goals and gave up a ton of rebounds. If he doesn't play better this weekend I hope Bob thinks about giving Lindgren some starts because we won't win many games with Faragher playing like he has been lately.
                  Nobody on the defensive side has looked very good since before Christmas. Blech.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    You only gained that when you lost your SCSU hockey helmet.
                    I didn't lose it, I sacrificed it to the college hockey gods and got a road sweep in Duluth for it.

That being said, I am more and more convinced one of you two stole it while I was passed out!
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                      By the way, garish is maybe a poor choice of words. My wife thought Biddco looked like like he was a wayward soul looking for a "Sesame Street Live" filming. From a distance, he looked like a Sesame Street character.
                      The important question is was he wearing maroon pants and UMD socks? The answer: Of COURSE he was!
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        I didn't lose it, I sacrificed it to the college hockey gods and got a road sweep in Duluth for it.

That being said, I am more and more convinced one of you two stole it while I was passed out!
                        The world is better for you losing it. It's a conspiracy!
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

By the way, garish is maybe a poor choice of words. My wife thought Biddco looked like like he was a wayward soul looking for a "Sesame Street Live" filming. From a distance, he looked like a Sesame Street character.
                          Quoted for awesomeness. Love it.
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                            Anyone?
                            Here is the thread on our board where this topic is addressed:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic...=video,quality

Comment

Speaking of Matt White:

http://www.ontarioreign.com/team/pla...?player_id=174

His partner in crime in the "incident" surfaced at Wisconsin Eau Claire:

http://www.blugolds.com/sports/mice/...e_preston_t4y8

Comment

I am one of those people that thinks the new arena is too small and I'll argue that point to my dying breath.

But, I agree that the "UNO Marketing Department" is an absolute utter joke (if it even really exists).

You don't build an arena that seats 7,399 (what it is now being said is the final capacity number) when you have averaged more fans than that per game in 9 out of 16 years of the program's existence. And, in many of those seasons, the team stunk to the high heaven. This is simple "Business 101" type logic. Plus, as you said, the team is poorly promoted. That's an understatement, in my book. Imagine what might be possible if the team was well promoted and was a consistent performer.

Building an arena this small in the middle of a major metropolitan area that has a 3 decades long history of outstanding support for hockey in general is going to a be an albatross around the neck of this program from the day it opens unless they build it so that it can be expanded, much the same way they did the Qwest (now CenturyLink) Center.

For those that don't know, UNO, in it's 16 season existence, has played to well over 150 nights where there were more than 7,399 people in the building, to give you some perspective. This program has played to numerous nights (more than a dozen) where there was more than 10,000 people in the building. They have played to crowds larger than 12,000 on at least 5 occasions and crowds over 15,000 on a couple of those.

The Omaha Storm Chasers built their own baseball stadium here in Omaha three seasons ago right here in Papillion, where I live. Their argument was that the Rosenblatt Stadium capacity was too large and this somehow hurt attendance (a specious argument of the worst kind). They moved into their new, much smaller digs when built and promptly won their first AAA Championship since 1990, and, attendance went down from the season before!. In a new stadium with a championship team!

In the FWIW department, there should more than 7,399 in the building both nights this weekend. Quite a bit more, maybe, on Friday night (although I will temper this by saying the weather is looking a little dicey this weekend, now).

At a minimum, UNO needs a building that seats around 10,000 people. I'd live with that. If it were up to me, I'd make it 12,000. 7,399 is ridiculous. UNO has a proven track record that they can put fannies in those seats. I also think attendance would be further helped by where the new arena is going to be (smack dab in the middle of the city's population center) as opposed to downtown, which is an enormous jaunt (by Omaha standards) back downtown for anybody living out west on a Friday night. This is the reason the reason UNO always has bigger crowds for Saturday night games than Friday night games. Better still, since the new arena is now on-campus, the student attendance (which is now poor) should be affected pretty dramatically.

I, for one, am very unhappy with the what is purported to be the new arena size and I have let the athletic department know it, too. And, I am FAR from alone on this topic.

If you want to build a 12,000 seat mausoleum that's cool but there is no home ice advantage there in a half empty building.

Comment

Working...
                                X