Most Competitive Conference Post-WCHA Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Competitive Conference Post-WCHA Era

Some friends and I have been discussing lately which conference is the most competitive now that the WCHA no longer exists. Being SCSU fans, some of them have argued that the NCHC is the "most competitive" conference in hockey. One of their key arguments is because of the parity in the NCHC standings. Being a Gopher fan, I have to disagree. Not that I believe that the B1G 10 is the most competitive as the Hockey East also has it's share of heavy hitters and I know that there are some that would argue the merits of ECAC.

With that being said, who do you guys think the most competitive conference is today and will be in the future? And why?

Re: Most Competitive Conference Post-WCHA Era

Do everyone a favor and repost this thread in 10, 15, and 20 years. Then we'll answer your question.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It will be interesting how we judge this (obviously, we won't agree, and the debate will carry on). Comparing a 6 team league and a 12 team league is difficult, for example. Then how much weight do you consider for how high up your top few teams are, and how much the average or median matters. What if a conference has one garbage team and a bunch of modestly good teams battling it out? Just going by the USCHO.com poll, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are ranked higher than all NCHC teams apart from St. Cloud State. On the other hand, if you look at all the vote getters, you see North Dakota at 18, then UNO, Miami, and UMD. Among all that from the Big Ten is just Ohio State. That's just looking at the Big Ten vs NCHC, of course. I can't forget about Hockey East.

It's not quite like ACC men's lacrosse (until this year), in which it was generally regarded as the best conference, because it had 4 teams, and all 4 regularly made the national tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherFan89 View Post
        Some friends and I have been discussing lately which conference is the most competitive now that the WCHA no longer exists.
        When did the WCHA stop being a conference?
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          When most of the teams left and it was no longer the "real" WCHA anymore. You know what I mean.

Comment

When Ferris State and Mankato are at the top.

Comment

This too. Should have been "post-CCHA era."

Comment

The real WCHA only existed from 1959 to 1965. After that they started adding crappy teams that dragged the league down.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Second time I've seen ponies on this board today!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      Second time I've seen ponies on this board today!
                      That's never a good sign...
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I realize that GopherFan89 doesn't recognize the WCHA, now that the Gophers are not members, but his question was, "which conference is the most competitive?

If you disregard the top and bottom teams, and then take the difference between the winning percentages of the 2nd best team and the 2nd worse teams, the answer is..........The WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                          I realize that GopherFan89 doesn't recognize the WCHA, now that the Gophers are not members, but his question was, "which conference is the most competitive?

If you disregard the top and bottom teams, and then take the difference between the winning percentages of the 2nd best team and the 2nd worse teams, the answer is..........The WCHA.
                          You're right...the WCHA is the most competitive conference. Sorry for the oversight.

Comment

What if each conference was a baseball player? Where would you play then and bat them in the lineup?
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              What if each conference was a baseball player? Where would you play then and bat them in the lineup?
                              Wouldn't a greater concern be that you'd have to forfeit with only six players?
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                              X