Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Feedback on ACHA women's div 1

Hi

I am looking for input on ACHA div 1 women's hockey. What is the calibre, pros/cons, etc. Thanks.

Re: Looking For Feedback on ACHA women's div 1

Good points made by aa2fan. The quality of play and program is all over the place in club hockey; although I will temper that by saying the D1 level teams, both men and women, seem to have a greater level of commitment. Heck, I see that the Un. of Delaware team is flying out to Alaska to play UAlaska-Fairbanks Nanooks! Delaware is where the Nationals will be held for both D1&2 (women) and D2 men this March on consecutive weekends. Might be worth the trip down to see what it's all about.

Comment

i for one hate the overused assertion that club hockey compared to NCAA hockey...or NCAA D3 hockey compared to D1 hockey for that matter...allows for "more time to focus on academics".

the structure that comes from being part of an NCAA team allows many of those kids to be way more successful than if they had more free time on their hands to go out and do whatever.

having that structure and academic support in place is exactly what allows so many of these girls to go to NCAA hockey and achieve so well academically. it's not a detraction by any means, or else we wouldn't hear over and over about how much better on average NCAA athletes fare academically compared to their non-athlete counterparts

Comment

Any feedback on the quality of play vs. Division 3 schools? For kids who don't have a D1 option where is the better hockey -- a top ACHA school or a mid tier Division 3?

Comment

From what I've seen at Adrian and the rest of the NCHA (limited as it may be), as well as women's D-1 club (Adrian is ranked top 10 there as well), D-3 is a faster and more talented game.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            From what I've seen at Adrian and the rest of the NCHA (limited as it may be), as well as women's D-1 club (Adrian is ranked top 10 there as well), D-3 is a faster and more talented game.
            I feel the need to say it :P Adrian's not top 10 in D3
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

On D3Hockey they are.

And I still stand by my original point.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                Any feedback on the quality of play vs. Division 3 schools? For kids who don't have a D1 option where is the better hockey -- a top ACHA school or a mid tier Division 3?
                URI is 16-4-3 in ACHA D1 this year. They lost two exhibition games to Sacred Heart at the beginning of the year 4-2 and 3-1. Sacred Heart is 3-10-5 this year in non exhibition games against other NCAA programs.

Could a top club team beat a middle of the road D3 team on any given day? Sure it could happen. Is the level of play (and especially the level of competition, for that matter) day in and day out going to be anywhere close to what it is in the NCAA, not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  URI is 16-4-3 in ACHA D1 this year. They lost two exhibition games to Sacred Heart at the beginning of the year 4-2 and 3-1. Sacred Heart is 3-10-5 this year in non exhibition games against other NCAA programs.

Could a top club team beat a middle of the road D3 team on any given day? Sure it could happen. Is the level of play (and especially the level of competition, for that matter) day in and day out going to be anywhere close to what it is in the NCAA, not a chance.
                  Agree with this. Saw the Sacred Heart-Williams game prior to holiday break (Williams is currently an average D3 NESCAC team). Williams dominated Sacred Heart and beat them badly.

Comment

Another example of how a club level team compares to NCAA D1 or D3 is Lindenwood. They were a top level club team for several years and went straight to D1. Their first year of D1 they played about 60% of their games against D3 schools and lost all but a couple of games. I believe that there were only maybe 7 players from the club team that were even a part of the first year D1 team. Penn State also went from club to D1 and have pretty much played a D1 schedule since day one. I think there were only about 4 or 5 players that carried over from the club team and they were third or fourth line players. The exception being Taylor Gross who played 1.5 years at Uconn, transferred to Penn State, played club for the spring semester and then has been a major contributor on the D1 team.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                      Take it for what you will but Chatham played Liberty University last year (top team in ACHA D1 v. a low-end d3 team). Chatham easily outplayed Liberty both games (despite the score being fairly even). I found D1 ACHA to be surprisingly bad. There were girls on Liberty that could hardly skate. Any player who would be a first or second liner on any D3 team can light it up in ACHA.

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                        Take it for what you will but Chatham played Liberty University last year (top team in ACHA D1 v. a low-end d3 team). Chatham easily outplayed Liberty both games (despite the score being fairly even). I found D1 ACHA to be surprisingly bad. There were girls on Liberty that could hardly skate. Any player who would be a first or second liner on any D3 team can light it up in ACHA.
                        Not quite true. Liberty SWEPT Chatham 4-2 and 6-3 last season, so if they had girls "that could hardly skate" they at least knew how to put the puck in the net. http://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/clu...D=3&seasonID=3

I see that they also beat Stevenson University 4-1 earlier in their season, so you'd have to say that Liberty was at least on a par with the low-end D3 teams.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by canadahockey26 View Post
                          Let's take a look at two different programs, Finlandia University D-3 and Miami University ACHA-D1. Finlandia 0-15-0, Miami 18-1-2. F.U. has 12 players with AAA or High School experience, Miami has 20 of 21. Approximate tuition costs for 4 years, F.U. $79,928, Miami $53064 with a difference of $26,856. Without a detailed look at available courses, I think it is fair to assume that Miami would have an advantage due to it's size. Taking this into consideration, I think it is fairly obvious why experienced players are choosing the ACHA D-1 route over a program like F.U. Education, less expense and enjoyment of the sport or playing on a D-3 team that hasn't won a game in two and three quarter seasons with a hefty bill at the end of four years. As far as playing ability, I will make a generalization and say there are D-3 caliber players on ACHA teams and ACHA caliber players on some D-3 teams. We will let coaching go to a different post. I am not making a comparison with the successful D-3 programs, just the point where D-3 and ACHA overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Finfan View Post
                            Let's take a look at two different programs, Finlandia University D-3 and Miami University ACHA-D1. Finlandia 0-15-0, Miami 18-1-2. F.U. has 12 players with AAA or High School experience, Miami has 20 of 21. Approximate tuition costs for 4 years, F.U. $79,928, Miami $53064 with a difference of $26,856. Without a detailed look at available courses, I think it is fair to assume that Miami would have an advantage due to it's size. Taking this into consideration, I think it is fairly obvious why experienced players are choosing the ACHA D-1 route over a program like F.U. Education, less expense and enjoyment of the sport or playing on a D-3 team that hasn't won a game in two and three quarter seasons with a hefty bill at the end of four years. As far as playing ability, I will make a generalization and say there are D-3 caliber players on ACHA teams and ACHA caliber players on some D-3 teams. We will let coaching go to a different post. I am not making a comparison with the successful D-3 programs, just the point where D-3 and ACHA overlap.

The comparison that was asked about though was top ACHA teams vs. mid-level D3 teams.

Top ACHA teams are at least on par with the bottom of the barrel D3 schools. But compared to a mid-level D3 team the gap is going to be fairly significant.

Comment

Working...
                            X