Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional Costs for Foreign DI Scholarship Students?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Costs for Foreign DI Scholarship Students?

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Great forum.

I'm wondering if those with more experience than me can advise as to the extra costs a non-US player should consider that would not be covered by her scholarship. I can reasonably anticipate things like the expense associated with trips home, etc but I suspect that there are other expenses that I have not anticipated but need to plan for.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Additional Costs for Foreign DI Scholarship Students?

Originally posted by thecrossbarismyfriend View Post

I'm wondering if those with more experience than me can advise as to the extra costs a non-US player should consider that would not be covered by her scholarship. I can reasonably anticipate things like the expense associated with trips home, etc but I suspect that there are other expenses that I have not anticipated but need to plan for.

Thanks in advance.
    Are you talking "Canada" foreign, or "Europe" foreign?
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Thanks in advance.
      There is a lot to consider and things can vary greatly from school to school. Aside from the a fore mentioned travel cost, there is a US Dollar exchange, was great for the last 4 to 5 years, but now trending the wrong way (for Canucks anyways). Another item is insurance. If you are a varsity athlete, you cannot go with the Basic plan, and some schools will mandate a certain provider. It is coverage you cannot afford to do without. Some schools/schollies may pick up that tab, but not all do.

In our experience biggest costs (if full pay) in order are:
      ==========================================
      Tuition
      Room and Board
      Travel (although that is a bit of a personal choice, and some schollies do have some coverage in their allotment).
      Books
      Insurance
      Communications (Phone etc)

Most schollies take care of the first two. some take care of most other components as well.

P.S...Given your handle, suspect you or your D is a Goaler. Welcome aboard. My advice...Pick the right school from an academic standpoint first.
      Last edited by OnMAA; 01-13-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

ONMAA - Thank you very much for your helpful response. Do you have any sense of how much health insurance would cost a player per year? I've done some surfing on the internet in that regard but haven't been able to find any numbers as of yet.

Oh and yes, I am talking about a Canadian player.

Comment

ONMAA - Thank you very much for your helpful response. Do you have any sense of how much health insurance would cost a player per year? I've done some surfing on the internet in that regard but haven't been able to find any numbers as of yet.

Oh and yes, I am talking about a Canadian player.

For us it has been between 2 and 3 K annually. Gone up from ~2,300 to ~2,800 over the last 5 years. We pay it via the University and use the provider recommended by the University. Probably pay a slightly higher fee than if we were to shop around. Unlike Canada, the health system is not universal in the States, so we went with the peace of mind option. That way the athletic departments trainers can send your D to the the doctors they deal with. I know some parents of Canadian players on our team take their D home for major medical stuff. In our case the insurance paid off as our D missed a good deal of one of her seasons due to major injuries, but she did not miss any school, and was well taken care of by medical staff and the teams trainers.

Ask as part of your recruiting, some schools do cover this expense for the player. Both our daughters elected to go to schools with high academic standards, electing that option instead of schools that offered them better financial terms. We fully supported them in those decisions and it worked out well in both cases, with good academic degrees from well recognized schools both sides of the border. As a result they had many options to choose from post grad. I'm a firm believer in paying a little extra for a good quality product or service.
          Last edited by OnMAA; 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Both our daughters elected to go to schools with high academic standards, electing that option instead of schools that offered them better financial terms. We fully supported them in those decisions and it worked out well in both cases, with good academic degrees from well recognized schools both sides of the border. As a result they had many options to choose from post grad. I'm a firm believer in paying a little extra for a good quality product or service.
            Ha, I remember a discussion in the parking lot of a rink during a summer tourney where you said "She will go to either A or B and NO WHERE ELSE!!!" She had no options other than those you allowed her!
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Thanks in advance.
              If your daughter needs a phone plan that permits here to call and text when she is in Canada you will beamazed at the cost. Our plan was twice what a comparable Canadian plan. Was about $140/ month vs $70 all in with telus

Have changed carriers once already due to all the hidden costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Man View Post
                If your daughter needs a phone plan that permits here to call and text when she is in Canada you will beamazed at the cost. Our plan was twice what a comparable Canadian plan. Was about $140/ month vs $70 all in with telus

Have changed carriers once already due to all the hidden costs.

Shop around. The answer is to go with a American Carrier. They have reasonable plans and more comp than using a Canuck based phone in the US. We pay about $100 a month, but that is unlimited NA plan included. The odd time our D is up in Canada (usually twice a year for a week or so), we need to add the temp Canuck roaming package, typically $25 for the month. Using the phone smartly with WIFI or I to I greatly minimizes bandwidth costs.

Once you are on a good plan. Don't change it !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  Ha, I remember a discussion in the parking lot of a rink during a summer tourney where you said "She will go to either A or B and NO WHERE ELSE!!!" She had no options other than those you allowed her!
                  You funny. It was A or B or C, but you are right, we narrowed it down to a few choices by then, but that was just part of the process. The choices were hers, not mine, I just educated them on the "School First" principle . Said Daughter got accepted in Med School today to follow her big Sis (Not same school, just same discipline). We just got the great news today.

Comment

Congratulations!! Which is the lucky School she will be at for Med School?

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                      Congratulations!! Which is the lucky School she will be at for Med School?
                      Check yer Inbox.

Comment

Thanks for the note - this is a great example of what a scholar student athlete can achieve! Discipline, goal setting, achievement, learning how to win, lose, be in high productive Team environments (or not), lead and follow. So many of these D1 players will go on to have high impact in the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X