Recruiting Curiousity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting Curiousity

Having a daughter who will start the recruiting process in a couple of years I've become very interested in this forum. Researching the various ways players commit I found an interesting post followed by comments that took me by surprise. In the 2014-2015 commits thread there is a post regarding an article in a local paper about a player with high scoring rankings Nationally. The poster made the comment "it looks like Uconn has the jump on this prolific scorer". The post was only a couple of weeks ago....

From other comments throughout this forum it would appear that most girls at this stage in their senior year are spoken for or have made up their mind (I could be wrong). Which leads me to my question. Not having any knowledge of this player or her abilities (only going off the article, the coaches comments and high scoring numbers) at this point in the process what would this player be waiting for? Is there scholarship money still available? Or even spots on teams?
    Last edited by curious22; 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM. Reason: Sorry had the wrong thread originally

Re: Recruiting Curiousity

Originally posted by curious22 View Post
    Having a daughter who will start the recruiting process in a couple of years I've become very interested in this forum. Researching the various ways players commit I found an interesting post followed by comments that took me by surprise. In the 2013-2014 commits thread there is a post regarding an article in a local paper about a player with high scoring rankings Nationally. The poster made the comment "it looks like Uconn has the jump on this prolific scorer". The post was only a couple of weeks ago....

From other comments throughout this forum it would appear that most girls at this stage in their senior year are spoken for or have made up their mind (I could be wrong). Which leads me to my question. Not having any knowledge of this player or her abilities (only going off the article, the coaches comments and high scoring numbers) at this point in the process what would this player be waiting for? Is there scholarship money still available? Or even spots on teams?
    The 2013-2014 thread was for players that are now in their freshman year in college - probably a mis-placed post. The thread titles refer to the first college year for the player - for instance, the most active threads right now are:

- 2014-2015 (players graduating this Spring) and that one should largely be complete for D1 (except for a few late adds that are generally not scholarship players but recruited walk-ons and Canadiens who may not be known to the posting group). D1 commits for this year should have signed a National Letter of Intent by now if there is scholarship money involved. Most D1 programs are done for this year - a few are still looking for players (Union in particular appears to be short kids).
    - 2015-2016 (current HS juniors) is the one where most activity is now occurring at the D1 level as this is the currnet general commitment period now in girls D1 hockey.

There is also (I think) a 2016-2017 thread for a few sophomores that have verbally committed early.

Comment

- 2014-2015 (players graduating this Spring) and that one should largely be complete for D1 (except for a few late adds that are generally not scholarship players but recruited walk-ons and Canadiens who may not be known to the posting group). D1 commits for this year should have signed a National Letter of Intent by now if there is scholarship money involved. Most D1 programs are done for this year - a few are still looking for players (Union in particular appears to be short kids).

So there is not some hidden benefit to not commiting by Dec of your senior year?
      What is a good time line to commit? When is too late?

Comment

So there is not some hidden benefit to not commiting by Dec of your senior year?
        A lengthy topic, but IMHO there are not a lot of (if any) benefits to not being committed by Dec of your senior year - you would have missed all scholarship money (barring some random kid not returning and you being the lucky one the school calls if they don't give the money to someone already on the roster who doesn't have a scholarship) and the Early Decision period where the coaches generally can wield the most power in admissions (this varies by school). Most D1 recruits commit in their Junior year (sophomore commits are generally National Team level players). If you don't have a D1 school that has asked you to commit and you have committed by mid Spring of your Junior year, you should start looking at D3 opportunities as it is pretty iffy if D1 will work out for you (and the scholarships are largely gone by then).

Comment

There is no real advantage to waiting to commit if there is an acceptable offer on the table at the school of choice. In fact, even highly desirable recruits can sabotage their offers by waiting too long. As was once said to me "I can't wait for #1, 2, and 3 to make a decision and end up being left with #150, 151, and 152 available if I lose 1, 2, or 3."

Now is the time for you and your D to start seriously looking at schools, curriculum, and hockey programs. Make a list of those that fill the tangible wish list - academic programs, the right hockey level. Then within that list try to give your D the opportunity to see the school, games, and get a feel for the intangible. Does the school, hockey, feel like a good fit? You should get a lot of the leg work done early if possible.

You (your daughter) can express interest in a school / program to get on their radar, but in the early stages, don't feel slighted about what will be a lack of personal contact by the schools. They can't initiate contact yet. If, in the course of any early conversations with a school (that ostensibly you / daughter initiate), you get that dream offer, then make sure it is truly the dream, and go for it. It isn't necessarily that smooth, or the path that clear, but if it is, it makes the pressure cooker that can be junior / senior year much more pleasant.

Good luck - I'm sure the seasoned parents will be chiming in!
          Last edited by DC78-82; 01-10-2014, 12:37 PM.
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Not official, but Connecticut appears to have the inside track on this prolific scorer from Wisconsin:

Knutson among nation's all-time top scorers in girls hockey
            http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/hi...9bb2963f4.html
            This was the post. The post was 12/16....It gave me the impression this was a top recruit and I was curious why she would wait.

Comment

There is no real advantage to waiting to commit if there is an acceptable offer on the table at the school of choice. In fact, even highly desirable recruits can sabotage their offers by waiting too long. As was once said to me "I can't wait for #1, 2, and 3 to make a decision and end up being left with #150, 151, and 152 available if I lose 1, 2, or 3."
              Good luck - I'm sure the seasoned parents will be chiming in!
              Thank you....learn something new everyday. I'm not sure if i'm excited or fretting the next couple of years...lol!

Comment

Having a daughter who will start the recruiting process in a couple of years I've become very interested in this forum. Researching the various ways players commit I found an interesting post followed by comments that took me by surprise. In the 2014-2015 commits thread there is a post regarding an article in a local paper about a player with high scoring rankings Nationally. The poster made the comment "it looks like Uconn has the jump on this prolific scorer". The post was only a couple of weeks ago....

As discussed in that thread, that local piece was largely a puff piece by local paper and much of the "puffing" should be disregarded from a DI perspective.

As noted above, there are some situations where money is available late to Seniors. UConn is probably a perfect example. Anyone in the 2014 class who was recruited by UConn as a Junior should have known that there was a good chance that their head coach probably was going to be fired. So, in these situations, my guess is the 2014 recruiting class was very lean as a result, if they had any verbal commits at all. With the new HC coming in this year, he probably scrambled to fill his needs and may still have an opening or 2. He may even have some athletic money available especially in light of previous transfers etc. So, this is the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

This was the post. The post was 12/16....It gave me the impression this was a top recruit and I was curious why she would wait.
                  Yeah, she's not a top recruit....she would wait for a better offer from a better hockey school. One would think she's dying to put on the Cardinal and White.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Yeah, she's not a top recruit....she would wait for a better offer from a better hockey school. One would think she's dying to put on the Cardinal and White.
                    ]

So at this point it isn't likely there are other D1 programs in the mix holding a spot and/or money waiting for a commitment and this is more of a personal reason (like location, school etc.) for the delay in commiting.

As noted above, there are some situations where money is available late to Seniors. UConn is probably a perfect example. Anyone in the 2014 class who was recruited by UConn as a Junior should have known that there was a good chance that their head coach probably was going to be fired. So, in these situations, my guess is the 2014 recruiting class was very lean as a result, if they had any verbal commits at all. With the new HC coming in this year, he probably scrambled to fill his needs and may still have an opening or 2. He may even have some athletic money available especially in light of previous transfers etc. So, this is the exception rather than the rule.
                    Given the circumstances at UConn... the interest was later than normal?
                    Last edited by curious22; 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

]

So at this point it isn't likely there are other D1 programs in the mix holding a spot and/or money waiting for a commitment and this is more of a personal reason (like location, school etc.) for the delay in commiting.

Given the circumstances at UConn... the interest was later than normal?
                      Every kid is different. Every kid has their own reasons. There are always exceptions. You can't look at one example in isolation (and while TK is not a National team player, she can play D1 hockey (IMO) notwithstanding the puff piece. I said it elsewhere). You have to look at the general rules which were summarized pretty good above.

Comment

Is anyone aware of any blogs wherein either a player or a parent has kept a virtual diary of the recruitment process? I think that would be very enlightening for those of us starting the process. Not sure anyone has done it because schools may not appreciate it but if anyone is aware of such a blog, a link would be appreciated.

Comment

What are everyones thoughts on Recruiters? Worth the money?

Comment

What are everyones thoughts on Recruiters? Worth the money?
                            Waste of money and unnecessary. Assuming your D plays for a team that gets exposure she will be seen by almost all hockey schools multiple times over the year(s). With her efforts, guided by caring parents, and the help of her coach, she will find the right spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                              Is anyone aware of any blogs wherein either a player or a parent has kept a virtual diary of the recruitment process? I think that would be very enlightening for those of us starting the process. Not sure anyone has done it because schools may not appreciate it but if anyone is aware of such a blog, a link would be appreciated.
                              If you read the info that I posted a week or so ago (before the link got repointed prior to the thread being deleted) you would have had the flagship manual to your questions, in my opinion. If not, contacting that coach for the material would be my very strong suggestion.

Check your rep for more info.
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X