UCONN Player Alleges Rape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCONN Player Alleges Rape

What a terrible story. I haven't published the link as it names the player. It doesn't put Heather Linstead in good light though. Was this why she resigned?
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Re: UCONN Player Alleges Rape

Originally posted by Cali View Post
    What a terrible story. I haven't published the link as it names the player. It doesn't put Heather Linstead in good light though. Was this why she resigned?
    They've certainly got a very high profile lawyer in tow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      I make no judgments about what may have happened to this girl at the party....obviously rape is a horrible crime.

With that said, there are some strange if not bizarre comments in the articles about this story. An adult needs to be told she can report a rape to the police? I understand it's a traumatic event and some people may be hesitant or even afraid to report it, but to insinuate that they wouldn't know it was an option and needed someone to tell them that is a little mind-blowing to me. A doctor hears someone has allegedly been raped and just says "ok why dont you transfer here xxxx?" A coach, upon hearing the same thing just says "ok you aren't going to be stable so you'll hurt the team so go away". As twisted and screwed up as our Universe is sometimes, I can't imagine a coach or a doctor who has gotten to the level they are at by being THAT stupid, especially in this day and age. If those conversations happened, it's because there is more context to the conversation than we are given in the article. My guess is that there is a LOT more context to the things that happened. Not to say that the initial event didn't happen, but the events that followed don't exactly pass the smell test IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
        With that said, there are some strange if not bizarre comments in the articles about this story. An adult needs to be told she can report a rape to the police? I understand it's a traumatic event and some people may be hesitant or even afraid to report it, but to insinuate that they wouldn't know it was an option and needed someone to tell them that is a little mind-blowing to me. A doctor hears someone has allegedly been raped and just says "ok why dont you transfer here xxxx?" A coach, upon hearing the same thing just says "ok you aren't going to be stable so you'll hurt the team so go away". As twisted and screwed up as our Universe is sometimes, I can't imagine a coach or a doctor who has gotten to the level they are at by being THAT stupid, especially in this day and age. If those conversations happened, it's because there is more context to the conversation than we are given in the article. My guess is that there is a LOT more context to the things that happened. Not to say that the initial event didn't happen, but the events that followed don't exactly pass the smell test IMO.
        As horrible as it all sounds it isn't all that atypical for what can happen in rape cases. Look back at the Jameis Winston case at Florida State, where the police actively discouraged the young woman from filing charges. Or look at the Steubenville incident for an example of coaches doing absolutely the wrong thing.

There is undoubtedly more context than can be presented in a seven paragraph news service story. That context may or may not present the principles in a better light and it may nor may not make any of their behavior seem more explicable.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          As horrible as it all sounds it isn't all that atypical for what can happen in rape cases. Look back at the Jameis Winston case at Florida State, where the police actively discouraged the young woman from filing charges. Or look at the Steubenville incident for an example of coaches doing absolutely the wrong thing.

There is undoubtedly more context than can be presented in a seven paragraph news service story. That context may or may not present the principles in a better light and it may nor may not make any of their behavior seem more explicable.
          Case such as these are always tricky. if I read the story right, you are dealing with a freshmen, just new to the school, prior to the start of the season, and it looks to be related to an initiation party. That is the sad part of this whole saga. Young adults getting peer pressured into doing/participating in things that they would prefer not to be part of but do anyways to fit in. Would not be surprised that she was afraid to speak up when this all took place initially.
          Last edited by OnMAA; 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Case such as these are always tricky. if I read the story right, you are dealing with a freshmen, just new to the school, prior to the start of the season, and it looks to be related to an initiation party. That is the sad part of this whole saga. Young adults getting peer pressured into doing/participating in things that they would prefer not to be part of but do anyways to fit in. Would not be surprised that she was afraid to speak up when this all took place initially.
            In addition to the disgusting nature of the alleged crime itself, what makes this story even more tragic is how quickly and callously this young ladies life was changed. We all have witnessed the excitement that our children have experienced with going off to school, the newness of it all, plus the pride that she would have felt playing D1 hockey. Only 2 days into her journey her world was turned upside down. And then, allegedly, to have her only immediate source of support turn their backs on her, that is brutal.

I hope and pray that this young lady (as well as all young ladies that have been victimized in this manner) is able to get the help that she needs and the justice that is deserved.
            ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
              No initiation party at all. You are making huge leaps here.
              Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                No initiation party at all. You are making huge leaps here.
                Not that much of a leap. Based on this ( http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,2541878.story ) report it was a "Women's hockey team party".
                Key excerpt:

"The amended lawsuit says that on Aug. 28, 2011, two days after moving into a UConn dormitory as a freshman, Xxxxxxx attended a women's hockey team party where she was "provided with alcohol and consumed less than two shots of it."

Shortly thereafter, en route to a second party, she became so ill that she had to be carried in to the second party. A UConn male hockey play told other students to put Xxxxxxx in his bed, the suit says. She lost consciousness, and when she regained it, the suit says, the male hockey play raped her."

Call it what you want, me thinks there is peer pressure/initiation involved in most scenarios like these.

Having said all that, I think it is sad that things like this still happen beyond the free will of a young women, and that schools should do all they can, not only to prevent, but also to help those involved in these type of activities, and that goes for both the "victims" and the "accused".
                Last edited by OnMAA; 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

sadly, the schools and officials response is all too typical

Comment

"He asked who had raped her, but before she could respond, Trojian said he did not want to know who did it, but could probably guess who it was, according to the lawsuit"

Really? This suggests that the doc has some knowledge of a prior incident and that UConn either isn't aware or like Penn State, prefers not to deal with it and wants it to go away. In this day and age, you would think the school would act quickly to get to the truth and resolve it for all parties.

Comment

Working...
                    X