X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Tech Hockey Guide thought about continuing the WCHA poll but we didn't know where we'd get media members on some of these teams..
    Jack Hittinger at Bemidji will be able to help run those people down. He's the guy that did the pre-season poll this season.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Tech Hockey Guide thought about continuing the WCHA poll but we didn't know where we'd get media members on some of these teams..
      Tim O'Donnell and Doyle Woody are the guys in Fairbanks and Anchorage, respectively.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        I can count on one hand the number of times college hockey has been mentioned since I moved to Traverse City (outside of my talks with Bemidji people), and those all were with my in-laws who are from the Soo... No one here cares about Ferris hockey.
        You're absolutely right in general. But 7&4 News still covers the Bulldogs and is more of a "Northern Michigan" TV station than just a Traverse City news channel. I know several Traverse City residents who have Ferris season tickets and we have a couple players from TC on the roster, including our leading scorer. There may not be broad interest, but there is definitely a subset of folks who pay attention. I think this is true for Grand Rapids as well.
        Last edited by hattrick16; 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM.
        "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
        - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
        CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
          You're absolutely right in general. But 7&4 News still covers the Bulldogs and is more of a "Northern Michigan" TV station than just a Traverse City news channel. I know several Traverse City residents who have Ferris season tickets and we have a couple players from TC on the roster, including our leading scorer. There may not be broad interest, but there is definitely a subset of folks who pay attention. I think this is true for Grand Rapids as well.
          Yeah, when I ran down for the BSU game, the only other Beaver fan there was from TC, and he said he had followed Thompson and VanWormer in HS. Not having TV, I just notice no one at work (mine or my wife's) nor in the paper seem to care. I'm sure there is a dedicated core of hockey fans in town - I just haven't found them yet...
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Well, well, well...

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm tinkering around with my model, which seems to be doing okay. The main thing to note is a schedule one: after this weekend, BG and Alaska have only six conference games left. The Falcons will likely drop from third in the standings. Ferris is off this weekend, is in first, and has two games in hand on Mankato (2nd) and Anchorage (4th) and four on BG (3rd). This weekend is huge for Mankato. The model says that the Mavs aren't sweep-quality, so they need to beat this silly model.

I haven't propagated the games out for the rest of the weeks — just Week 19. I've got walking pneumonia or something like it and will probably next resurface on Tuesday.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

It looks to me that, even though they have fewer games, BGSU is close to locking up home ice. The issue is who will get the forth spot. NMU in the drivers seat here if you ask me, but given the games remaining and the evenness of the teams, I could see anyone making it.
                I'm not big on your model there geoff. Look at the strength of schedule going forward and who is home vs away.

If you checked on it, Carpenter scored two goals for BG on friday but they lost. If you are Tech this is a huge weekend coming up at BG.

Also there was a very good interview last night by the NMU announcer, of Bruce Mcleod.
                Last edited by manurespreader; 01-26-2014, 06:10 PM.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  It looks to me that, even though they have fewer games BGSU is close to locking up home ice. The issue is who will get the forth spot. NMU in the drivers seat here if you ask me, but given the games remaining and the evenness of the teams, I could see anyone making it. I'm mot big on your model though geoff. Look at the strength of schedule going forward and who is home vs away.

Also there was a very good interview last night by the NMU announcer, of Bruce Mcleod.
                  Not exactly, BGSU still has to travel to UAA. It could very well be very close there.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

For what it's worth for everyone, three of the four teams who get just one crack at taking four points off of UAH still have those games left (Alaska this weekend, Tech next weekend, Lake two weeks after that). If the Chargers are going to spoil a team un-ready for the pluckiness, there's plenty of chances left.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

I'm already preparing for the inevitable sweep of NMU by UAH on the final weekend of the season; where NMU finishes ninth just one point behind UAF who takes the final playoff spot. It's bound to happen.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        I'm already preparing for the inevitable sweep of NMU by UAH on the final weekend of the season; where NMU finishes ninth just one point behind UAF who takes the final playoff spot. It's bound to happen.
                        My wish since about December is for UAA to sweep UAF the last weekend, win the Governor's Cup, clinch home ice, eliminate UAF, play Tech in the playoffs.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

No matter who comes up there, you need to fix that ice. !
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

City owned building. Just got the funding to put a new ice plant a couple months ago.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The Sully used to have the best ice in the WCHA, according to a lot of former players. There was a problem this weekend with a broken or clogged pipe, a strip along the boards never froze. The ice plant is not all that is going to be replaced at the Sully, they are getting new lower bowl seats, new boards and new seamless NHL glass as well. Maybe 9fingers crossed) a jumbo tron score board as well.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Tim O'Donnell and Doyle Woody are the guys in Fairbanks and Anchorage, respectively.
                                Kurt Haider knows only about 4 thousand more percent WCHA information than Doyle. He's a much more qualified media representative than Woody.

Comment

Working...
                                X