X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I believe the Gutterson (Vermont) and Penn State's arena are 200x90. The idea being that having a hybrid NHL/international rink makes the transition between the two on the road easier.
    That's what Mankato did when they renovated the ice surface last summer; they went from 200X100 to 200X90.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
      The IRA Rink in Grand Rapids, MN, where the CHA held their conference tournament one year...
      I was writing a piece for the WCHA Final Five program (I think that's what it was for) yesterday, and in doing so I had to look up how many times UAH was in the CHA tournament final (six). The Wikipedia page lists that one year as being at the Glas. I mean, GR was all-but home ice, but ...

GFM <— didn't fix it, and just laughed at it.
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        There were some rinks I worked in the minors that were in that 180 range where the whole neutral zone was about what normally sits between the blue and center red lines. The worst seemed to be the old Nashville Auditorium. It was about a stride and a half. In the days of the "two line pass" rule, it really sucked.
        Like the old Toledo Sports Arena maybe? 180x80. yikes.
        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
          That place was a pit. Guys on opposite sides of the dressing room better not lean over to tie their skates at the same time because they'd smack their heads!
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
            Chicago Stadium, the old home of the Blackhawks, was 188X85.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
              OSU's old ice arena was only 185x85.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                OSU's old ice arena was only 185x85.
                You mean their playoff arena?
                This space for sale.

Comment

• Originally posted by bueller View Post
                  You mean their playoff arena?
                  Getting back to the WCHA...best arena: Bemidji, without a doubt, #2 Michigan Tech. As for the worst facility...let's just say it sits in one of college hockey's most beautiful cities.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Getting back to the WCHA...best arena: Bemidji, without a doubt, #2 Michigan Tech. As for the worst facility...let's just say it sits in one of college hockey's most beautiful cities.
                    Oh, I don't think the Verizon Wireless Center is that bad.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Oh, I don't think the Verizon Wireless Center is that bad.
                      The Verizon is actually a pretty decent place. It's probably around the middle of the league.

Comment

I've not been to them all yet... But I can't argue at all with that last point from the ones I've seen..
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Now lets pronounce the arena//Ewigleben Ice Arena...
                          I was told A-vah-glave-in,,,I see wiki has it different....oh well Ferris State Ice Arena will work...

Comment

You're right. Big Rapids is certainly a picturesque little village.
                            Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                              Now lets pronounce the arena//Ewigleben Ice Arena...
                              I was told A-vah-glave-in,,,I see wiki has it different....oh well Ferris State Ice Arena will work...
                              Lemme try...

Dumby Barn.

[Let's see how many old posters are still around]
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                                You're right. Big Rapids is certainly a picturesque little village.
                                So is the town in Ohio. And those two rinks are quite comparable. And neither would end up on the bottom of the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X