X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/i...ities/icearena

I don't know.....should I trust the numbers from Ferris State, who owns and runs the arena? Their tape measures might not be quite as accurate as davy's eye's from the pressbox....
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/i...ities/icearena

I don't know.....should I trust the numbers from Ferris State, who owns and runs the arena? Their tape measures might not be quite as accurate as davy's eye's from the pressbox....
      Michigan Tech claimed John Scott was 6-7...just saying
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Didn't MTU also list Jon Pittis at 5' 7"? I think their tape measure was broken on both ends.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Didn't MTU also list Jon Pittis at 5' 7"? I think their tape measure was broken on both ends.
          I'm not quite 5'9. I've stood with a few listed at 5'8 or 5'9 that were nowhere near that "tall."

In all actuality, if the listed dimensions at Ewigleben are off, it's by only a few feet. The shallow corners really do exacerbate the perception.
          Last edited by davyd83; 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I think there is a big difference between fudging numbers on players height/weight in the program and publishing and reporting wrong numbers about the dimensions of your rink.

I think it is simply a case of it being an optical illusion of sorts, where the way the arena is setup, and the shallow corners make it look smaller than regulation.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              I think there is a big difference between fudging numbers on players height/weight in the program and publishing and reporting wrong numbers about the dimensions of your rink.

I think it is simply a case of it being an optical illusion of sorts, where the way the arena is setup, and the shallow corners make it look smaller than regulation.
              The Ferris website also says the corner radius is NHL regulation as well.
              Last edited by davyd83; 02-19-2014, 09:28 AM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                The Ferris website also says the corner radius is NHL regulation as well.
                I think the Berry corner radius is slightly larger because of the original purpose of sharing a facility with Speed Skating. The corners do not look similar to Marriucci Arena (judging from TV viewing).
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I have heard for many years that Duluth's old DECC was not 200x85 and I'm sure they claim it since it is the minimum size. Maybe it is just a matter of the radius of the corners being different than "normal" but lots of people have claimed that.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I have heard for many years that Duluth's old DECC was not 200x85 and I'm sure they claim it since it is the minimum size. Maybe it is just a matter of the radius of the corners being different than "normal" but lots of people have claimed that.
                    Wasn't it 190x85 or something? Even USCHO had listed it as being shorter than the standard.

Comment

According to Wiki (yes, I know) the DECC was/is 190x85. Kohl Center is the really odd one....200x97

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Dulu...ainment_Center 190'x85'
                      http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Kohl_Center 200'x97'
                      http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Ewigleben_Arena 200'x85'

RIP - Kirby

Comment

According to Wiki (yes, I know) the DECC was/is 190x85. Kohl Center is the really odd one....200x97

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Dulu...ainment_Center 190'x85'
                        http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Kohl_Center 200'x97'
                        http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Ewigleben_Arena 200'x85'
                        I believe the Gutterson (Vermont) and Penn State's arena are 200x90. The idea being that having a hybrid NHL/international rink makes the transition between the two on the road easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I believe the Gutterson (Vermont) and Penn State's arena are 200x90. The idea being that having a hybrid NHL/international rink makes the transition between the two on the road easier.
                          The most extremes I've seen at any level were Tingley Coliseum in Albuquerque (210x105) and El Paso (185x78). I've seen a few rinks only 180 long, but regulation with. It was always interesting to play back to back in El Paso and New Mexico in the WPHL days.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            The most extremes I've seen at any level were Tingley Coliseum in Albuquerque (210x105) and El Paso (185x78). I've seen a few rinks only 180 long, but regulation with. It was always interesting to play back to back in El Paso and New Mexico in the WPHL days.
                            The Albuquerque rink sounds like the one that was in the movie MYSTERY ALASKA....
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The IRA Rink in Grand Rapids, MN, where the CHA held their conference tournament one year, had to be shorter than regulation. It seemed like in three easy strides someone could go from blue line to blue line.

The thing to remember is that if the a rink is shorter, the offensive zones remain regulation size and the neutral zone gets shrunk down.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                The IRA Rink in Grand Rapids, MN, where the CHA held their conference tournament one year, had to be shorter than regulation. It seemed like in three easy strides someone could go from blue line to blue line.

The thing to remember is that if the a rink is shorter, the offensive zones remain regulation size and the neutral zone gets shrunk down.
                                There were some rinks I worked in the minors that were in that 180 range where the whole neutral zone was about what normally sits between the blue and center red lines. The worst seemed to be the old Nashville Auditorium. It was about a stride and a half. In the days of the "two line pass" rule, it really sucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X