X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA IV (2013-14): Unlocked and Cocked

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Could they up the games next season to 32 games and not play one team in the WCHA?
    No. The scheduling is nearly complete and non-conference contracts are set. Adding more league games to the schedule would be very difficult any time soon.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Me too. I would also like to see the final weekend against your travel partner. UAA-UAF, Bemidji-Mankato, Tech-NMU, etc...
      I thought it is. I know UAA goes to UAF the final weekend.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
        I was looking at your spreadsheet in google docs (because I had tried a similar predictive assessment myself). Yours is far more objective. However, I noticed that next weekend, you predict a split between UA and MTU, but your standings after that week show MTU accumulating two losses. I noticed this because your final prediction was a .500 record for MTU, but you have them sweeping UAH and splitting the rest of the series. If that happens, they should be 2 games over .500. Am I missing something?
        I'm gonna look at that here in the next little bit and check for that and any other mistakes. It's worth doing another time.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          No. The scheduling is nearly complete and non-conference contracts are set. Adding more league games to the schedule would be very difficult any time soon.
          With the Alaska games exempt wouldn't it be easier to add games.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
            With the Alaska games exempt wouldn't it be easier to add games.
            In theory but NC contracts are likely signed and many are 2 for 1s or whatever and involve 2-3 more years of games. Example, the North Star Cup has 3 years left so MSU and BSU have 2+ games accounted for over the next 3 years.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Why would it be so hard to not have a bye for any team over the last 4 weeks of the season? The only excuse I could come up with is giving a team a weekend off after returning from Alaska but I think that's extremely overhyped.
              You solve that by giving any team playing in Alaska have either a conference home date or a bye week in the conference schedule. If you choose to go to Fairbanks one weekend and Northeastern another weekend, well, that's on you. As it is, UAH is on weekend two of Fairbanks-Houghton-Mankato. We're happy to be in the league and happy to take a hit on the schedule this year (we got one of the slots to go to #49 twice), but if we had a relevant team right now, this would be a brutal stretch hockey-wise. As it is, it's still pretty tough for our guys trying to be student-athletes in this. The first exam slot for UAH is next week (I know, I have two of them), and our guys will have been away from campus for a lot of the preparation/procrastination time leading up to it. Yes, they can study on their own, but studying in groups with non-student-athletes is big, too.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                I'm gonna look at that here in the next little bit and check for that and any other mistakes. It's worth doing another time.
                Indeed, Tech and Northern are now 3/4, and I'll have to look at the conference tiebreakers to see how that comes down. As I've noted before, I'll do that either in Week 22 or 23, probably 22 because I said that I would. Thanks, oldish husky.

Edit: post is updated: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2014/02/02/krach-schedule-2/

GFM
                Last edited by gfmorris; 02-04-2014, 01:58 PM.
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  In theory but NC contracts are likely signed and many are 2 for 1s or whatever and involve 2-3 more years of games. s.
                  Do most teams have anymore then six NC games locked for the next 2 to 3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Me too. I would also like to see the final weekend against your travel partner. UAA-UAF, Bemidji-Mankato, Tech-NMU, etc...
                    Agree completely with this. That's one thing college football gets right, with the final weekend for the traditional rivals. I'm looking forward to us finishing the year against Tech, because of their skill and the fact that they appear to be coming on strong, but Tech really should be closing the season in the UP.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Who are we going to offer? Do you think Michigan is coming to Marquette an extra time for money? No. They'll come once in exchange for other teams making 2 or 3 trips to Ann Arbor. Im sure Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin are lighting up Matt's phone wanting to know the best places to eat for their next trip to Anchorage. Tell them Glacier Bay, Moose's Tooth and Snow City are all good options.
                      Why do you think your piddling school "deserves" to have BIG non-conf games? Or even play the Butt Hurts? Go schedule AHA teams and ECAC teams or Hockey East teams. Many many of them would be amenable to having their travel covered. But again, your school has to be committed to hockey ...(committed - willing to spend the necessary money to make the program succeed).

Yes, many of the team you covet playing actually are standing in line to play UAA and UA_. Scheduling isn't an issue; because both schools are economically committed to their hockey programs.
                      Last edited by uaafanblog; 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                        they actually are. Scheduling isn't an issue for uaa or ua_. Because they are economically committed to pay programs to play there and those games don't count against the schedule limit.
                        fyp
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          fyp
                          And WHY aren't these other WCHA schools likewise committed? UAA and UA_ are willing to pay for everyone's travel (including whiney conference mates). And yes, the NCAA rightfully decided that the geographic disadvantages which the 49th and 50th states have could be rectified by making games exempt that are played in those states. It helps rectify the geographic inequity. Yeah, other WCHA schools don't have the exemption ... but they still could pony up the travel expenses for non-conference opponents to come to their barn ... as UAA and UA_ do.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            And WHY aren't these other WCHA schools likewise committed? UAA and UA_ are willing to pay for everyone's travel (including whiney conference mates). And yes, the NCAA rightfully decided that the geographic disadvantages which the 49th and 50th states have could be rectified by making games exempt that are played in those states. It helps rectify the geographic inequity. Yeah, other WCHA schools don't have the exemption ... but they still could pony up the travel expenses for non-conference opponents to come to their barn ... as UAA and UA_ do.
                            Because they aren't in Alaska, don't have oil money coming out of every orifice and want to remain in the black. Additional home dates don't do you much good if you pay someone all the profits to come to your building.

Not to mention, I doubt many schools would travel to the non-alaska WCHA schools in a 1-1 even with travel expenses covered because that would mean less home games for the B1G/NCHC schools. Alaska's advantage really is the combination. Wisconsin can do a 1-1 with 2 games in madison and 2 games in an Alaska tournament with travel covered because they can still 2 home games against MTU or NMU in the year they go to Alaska without changing anything.
                            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Geoff,
                              you might want to review your prognosis. You have Tech in there twice.
                              Who has the tie breaker between Alaska and Lssu. I have them tied for 8th at the end.

As far as how scheduling goes, first, I am totally in favor of a bye after a trip north. Second, I don't care so much about the unbalanced schedule as long as the race is interesting, and I have to say this is the most interesting race in a long time. Third, it would be good if we could collectively figure out how to reduce travel costs and time.

I think there could be a lot of surprises these last few weeks. And if someone doesn't figure out how to beat Ferris, we will end up with only one team in.
                              Last edited by manurespreader; 02-04-2014, 04:32 PM.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Look everyone...breaking news! The WCHA is cold!

Bemidji, MN -11
                                Mankato, MN 1
                                Sault Ste Marie, MI 9
                                Houghton, MI 10
                                Marquette, MI 10
                                Fairbanks, AK 10
                                Bowling Green, OH 19
                                Big Rapids, MI 21
                                Anchorage, AK 30
                                Huntsville, AL 50

For an average temperature this hour of 14.9 degrees Fahrenheit. Anchorage and Huntsville are really dragging us up.

That is all...resume mud slinging.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X