General Question about US League Skill Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question about US League Skill Levels

My mind was wondering the other day, and I was trying to see if I could order the various US hockey Leagues by skill. This is what I came up with. This list is completely based on my (limited) knowledge. I could be way off, and I may have forgotten some leagues completely. I also know that this list would be very different if we included Canadian or European leagues.

This list is also biased to my location, the Great Lakes Hockey League, is a pretty minor league, but based on where I live, there is some pretty good hockey played.

Finally, I know that there is some overlap...IE, some years, the winner of the GLHL would beat a lower tier D3 team. And the best D3 College team may be able to beat the low level USHL team. That being said, thought that this list might start some interesting conversation.

Where am I way off, what leagues did I forget? Please feel free to update or correct this list!
    1. NHL
    2. AHL
    3. D1 College
    4. USHL
    5. D3 College
    6. GLHL

Re: General Question about US League Skill Levels

gotta have the OHL in there somewhere.. maybe at par with D1 perhaps higher in some cases. Real strong league.

edit: nevermind, I just read.. US leagues only. but then you have the NHL in there.. which is not just US..
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

The NAHL is probably between 4 and 5.

Comment

I'm not sure USHL is above D3. Most top D3 teams are filled with guys who have already played USHL or NAHL and are older, stronger and more mature.

Comment

I'd think you'd have to put the ECHL in there, probably at #3.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

ECHL is well below USHL.. just my opinion.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              ECHL is well below USHL.. just my opinion.
              A professional league worse than an amatuer league? What makes you think that? I would assume ECHL>USHL.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                A professional league worse than an amatuer league? What makes you think that? I would assume ECHL>USHL.
                oops..you're right.. I confused it with the EJHL..
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Ah yes yes.

My list:

NHL
                  AHL
                  ECHL
                  College
                  USHL
                  NAHL
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I would have to think that any pro league would be above college... This would include leagues like the CHL or SPHL... Even there, you are dealing with the top half of the talent from NCAA teams... Think about how many kids from NCAA go on to pro careers vs how many play their final competitive games as a collegiate player...
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Well, that's two errors in one thread. One more and we consign you to El Paso and only posting about the AAU Western Junior Hockey League.

I think there are close to a dozen Tier III junior leagues, the best of which is maybe the US Premier League. Oh and let's not forget the ACHA!
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I was wondering why the baseball was getting bigger.. ! and then it hit me.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

1. NHL
                          2. AHL
                          3. ECHL
                          4. NCAA D1
                          5. NCAA D3
                          6. USHL
                          7. NAHL
                          8. MSHSL

Not sure where some of the other leagues mentioned fall. (SPHL, CHL, EJHL)
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            I would have to think that any pro league would be above college... This would include leagues like the CHL or SPHL... Even there, you are dealing with the top half of the talent from NCAA teams... Think about how many kids from NCAA go on to pro careers vs how many play their final competitive games as a collegiate player...
                            Spent quite a bit of time evaluating the CHL (OHL, WHL, etc) a few years back. IMO they are a half step below NCAA D1. The CHL has more players drafted per team. But there is no team with loaded with draft picks like BC, UND or MN.

But the league as a whole is a step below the NCAAs not because the players are worse...but because they're younger. You will find CHL teams loaded with 17 yos, but in the NCAA it is very hard to find a 17 yo. Likewise, you can find quite a few 22 yo players...but the CHL typically tops out at about 20 yo. And typically, it is the older players that carry the lumber in the NCAAs.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Spent quite a bit of time evaluating the CHL (OHL, WHL, etc) a few years back. IMO they are a half step below NCAA D1. The CHL has more players drafted per team. But there is no team with loaded with draft picks like BC, UND or MN.

But the league as a whole is a step below the NCAAs not because the players are worse...but because they're younger. You will find CHL teams loaded with 17 yos, but in the NCAA it is very hard to find a 17 yo. Likewise, you can find quite a few 22 yo players...but the CHL typically tops out at about 20 yo. And typically, it is the older players that carry the lumber in the NCAAs.
                              I was under the impression that the CHL that was referenced was the Central Hockey League. Which wouldn't be younger players, but older players, that probably played NCAA or juniors and can't hack the NHL, AHL or even the ECHL.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X