No announcement yet.

2013 Great Lakes Invitational, One like no other as part of the Winter Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Great Lakes Invitational, One like no other as part of the Winter Festival

It is finally time for an unusual GLI going outside.
    Not sure how the ice will hold up for 4 games, and what kind of crowds will watch, but should be very exciting this year to see who takes the trophy.

Tech will be upset about the first half, but have been steadily improving.
    Western seems to be hot or cold this year.
    MSU is experiencing some highs and some lows
    Michigan has recovered, but should be missing some spark plugs due to the World Juniors.

Re: 2013 Great Lakes Invitational, One like no other as part of the Winter Festival

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    It is finally time for an unusual GLI going outside.
    Not sure how the ice will hold up for 4 games, and what kind of crowds will watch, but should be very exciting this year to see who takes the trophy.

Tech will be upset about the first half, but have been steadily improving.
    Western seems to be hot or cold this year.
    MSU is experiencing some highs and some lows
    Michigan has recovered, but should be missing some spark plugs due to the World Juniors.
    Tech is a good team.
    Western is remembering who they are.
    state is a joke, but they have a dent defense along with good (for now) goal-tending.
    Michigan is unlike any other Michigan team in the past. They are responsible defensively (most of the time) but they lack offensive punch. The minor offensive firepower that we have will be gone to World Juniors (as is typical).

I actually like Tech this year to reclaim their tourny....

They played Michigan very tough in Yost this year even though they were swept.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Re: 2013 Great Lakes Invitational, One like no other as part of the Winter Festival

Looking forward to going to this. I'll only be at the semifinals because of a wedding but this shall be a good time. Too bad it didn't happen last year because now there will not be any unique jerseys.

Michigan has to be the favorite this year.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        Looking forward to going to this. I'll only be at the semifinals because of a wedding but this shall be a good time. Too bad it didn't happen last year because now there will not be any unique jerseys.

Michigan has to be the favorite this year.
        We'll have a throwback.

1966 Throwback

I would expect there to be a green counterpart but maybe we'll just stick with the scripts for the away jersey.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Sparty vs. Western for the title is my guess. MSU will use the experience gained playing Tech in Houghton, plus Tech's frustrating last four games to put together a 2-1 or 3-2 win in the semis despite a late comeback attempt by the Huskies. Western would like another shot at this one after getting stonewalled by Tech last year, and will use that motivation to beat Michigan in their semi. Flip a coin for the results of the Chumpionship and Championship games.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            We'll have a throwback.

1966 Throwback

I would expect there to be a green counterpart but maybe we'll just stick with the scripts for the away jersey.
            Most excellent. Of course Tech will be in their beautiful gold 3rds which are one of the best in college hockey.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Sparty vs. Western for the title is my guess. MSU will use the experience gained playing Tech in Houghton, plus Tech's frustrating last four games to put together a 2-1 or 3-2 win in the semis despite a late comeback attempt by the Huskies. Western would like another shot at this one after getting stonewalled by Tech last year, and will use that motivation to beat Michigan in their semi. Flip a coin for the results of the Chumpionship and Championship games.
              Well, Western stifled our offense at Munn and Lawson, so if those semi-final results happen I would say WMU wins 3-0 or 3-1. But, maybe we'll improve with some rest and getting a couple guys back and have a better lineup offensively.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Every team in this is improving. Will WMU beat Michigan? Maybe, but my money is on Michigan. Will Tech beat MSU i'm guessing yes.

Another question, what will be the ice conditions. A lot of these outdoor games Have terrible ice. Seating will not be great, agreed.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I will be warm and in Texas for this years GLI. I will have about as good a view of the ice from Houston as I would have in one of the first rows at Commerica. Having gone to the Michigan vs. aOSU game in Cleveland's baseball stadium, I can say that hockey in a baseball stadium is dumb. I'd rather watch hockey at the Joe. I'm one of the very few Michigan fans that actually enjoys the whole tournament and will go to all 4 games. I can't imagine sitting outside for 2 games in a row with bad sight lines. That sounds miserable to me.

As for the games, there's no telling what the ice conditions will be like. I think we see a Tech vs. Michigan final that could go either way.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

I usually go both days, but this year I'm only going on the second day. These outdoor games have jumped the shark.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I usually go both days, but this year I'm only going on the second day. These outdoor games have jumped the shark.
                      Watching these four teams play each other, outside... compares to watching paint dry. Michigan will be without its two top points earners and the other three teams struggle to score under *normal* ice conditions. I'll take the under 15 for total goals scored in the tourney.

Comment

Michigan Tech really needs to make some noise in this tournament to get their team headed in the right direction after two disappointing weekends against BGSU and BSU.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I seem to remember the Cold War having pretty good sight lines. That was the last outdoor game I was at. I just can't see a baseball stadium having good sight lines though. When the upperdeck tickets are the most expensive that should signal a problem. I've been in those for Tigers games and it's not like you can't see anything, but they're pretty far from the field and it's really hard to tell what the ball is doing when it jumps off the bat.

I don't know how well the alumni game is going to sell, but since the Classic isn't being played here they should've just lined the rink up along one baseline. and set up temporary stands on the other side. But since I'm saving for Pasadena I guess I don't have to worry about that this year unless free tickets get handed to me, so I'll just have to worry about if the TV view looks good.

Also holy *$%# they're charging $150 for some seats for the alumni game?

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I am very much looking forward to not going this season; in fact, the anticipation has been building for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                              I am very much looking forward to not going this season; in fact, the anticipation has been building for some time.
                              I will watch on TV but I had ZERO interest in attending this tournament in a baseball park.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                              X