X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2013/14 Part II: The HFH is Covered with Frozen Drivel

Originally posted by johnk View Post
    You do? You want to share those. His last two years were 2 of his worst and if you add up that winning % compared to the last 8 years, tell me where you end up. Still waiting for another poster who bashed the "Fridgen era" to tell me what was so wrong with it. Matter of fact, any of you that are so happy with where this program is at tell me what was wrong with that era cause I'm sick of hearing about how bad all those 20 win seasons and trips to the ECAC's were. Now unlike some other unnamed nut job on here, I can see some light at the end of the tunnel with the future of this program and growth in a very young coach but the bashing of a guy who had MUCH better results in his first 7 years is unfair and flat out wrong.
    We were going downhill during Fridgen's last few years. We were unable to win any recruiting battles at the end, guys like Colin Greening. He did OK with the talent he had but the team seemed to be in a death spiral at the end.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      We were going downhill during Fridgen's last few years. We were unable to win any recruiting battles at the end, guys like Colin Greening. He did OK with the talent he had but the team seemed to be in a death spiral at the end.
      This is about right. I don't think anyone can have too much of a problem with the Fridgen era between 1994 when he took over and roughly 2001 or so, those were routinely good teams, many of which just barely missed out on going to the NCAAs. The 2001-02 team had a remarkable resurgence in January that produced a good end to what had been a tough year.

After that, I think the recruiting issues were becoming very noticeable, we were definitely losing battles for top level guys regularly. We got by for a few years on the talent of the very best guys on the team, but it was obvious after a while that the tide of the team was moving in the wrong direction.

Then Appert came in and pretty much burned the program to the ground with a purpose - to build it back up. It's evident in the struggles of the first three years of his direction that it wasn't going to be a matter of flipping a switch. But here we now stand, with three winning seasons in the last four, likely to become four in the last five. The trend is now upward. I don't think you can look at the 2004-05 Engineers and see a team that had a better than average shot at playing in the NCAAs. You look at this year's team, and next year's team, and I'm reasonably certain that you do. The preseason polls are indeed meaningless when the puck hits the ice, but people who know something about hockey had some high expectations for this team this season. Are they reaching those expectations? I don't think they are quite yet.

Yale had some pretty high expectations last year and they were in a pretty rough spot during the regular season, too.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        Maybe but watching a coin toss come up tails several times in a row and declaring that tails is the inevitable result for all future chances is equally dumb.
        There's no proof as of this moment that any results stemming from the given constants are independent.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          This is about right. I don't think anyone can have too much of a problem with the Fridgen era between 1994 when he took over and roughly 2001 or so, those were routinely good teams, many of which just barely missed out on going to the NCAAs. The 2001-02 team had a remarkable resurgence in January that produced a good end to what had been a tough year.

After that, I think the recruiting issues were becoming very noticeable, we were definitely losing battles for top level guys regularly. We got by for a few years on the talent of the very best guys on the team, but it was obvious after a while that the tide of the team was moving in the wrong direction.

Then Appert came in and pretty much burned the program to the ground with a purpose - to build it back up. It's evident in the struggles of the first three years of his direction that it wasn't going to be a matter of flipping a switch. But here we now stand, with three winning seasons in the last four, likely to become four in the last five. The trend is now upward. I don't think you can look at the 2004-05 Engineers and see a team that had a better than average shot at playing in the NCAAs. You look at this year's team, and next year's team, and I'm reasonably certain that you do. The preseason polls are indeed meaningless when the puck hits the ice, but people who know something about hockey had some high expectations for this team this season. Are they reaching those expectations? I don't think they are quite yet.

Yale had some pretty high expectations last year and they were in a pretty rough spot during the regular season, too.
          The difference between Ylae* and RPI is that one team has actually had postseason success, one season of which resulted in us backing into the national picture. Brown rule.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
            The team has talent, but has a little bit of struggle playing for 60 minutes. I'm not sure how losing your focus and drive during a game is entirely the fault of coaching staff. But, let's remove players from the equation entirely, because that makes complete sense.
            Well, I have to do a bit of fence-straddling here.

From time to time, you do see a team that maintains focus and drive throughout a game, no matter what the score.

On the other hand, the coach of a team like that is also an extraordinary, once-in-a-lifetime genius (like John Wooden in men's college basketball, or Geno Auriemma in women's college basketball. Their players are still diving for loose balls with five minutes left in the game when they are ahead by 35 points!). Do you criticize someone who might easily be considered "very very good" merely because they are not the very best that has ever lived?

How many coaches are out there right now who don't face similar problems with their teams? If our OGC is in the top 15%, say, are we going to kvetch because he's not in the top 5%?

of course the impending approach of the full moon is just a coincidence, all this howling and baying would occur no matter where we are in the lunar cycle, eh?
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUD08 View Post
              insanity is performing the same action expecting a different result.
              I defer to your considerable experience in this area.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                of course the impending approach of the full moon is just a coincidence, all this howling and baying would occur no matter where we are in the lunar cycle, eh?
                Don't forget that it is Friday the 13th.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  The difference between Ylae* and RPI is that one team has actually had postseason success, one season of which resulted in us backing into the national picture. Brown rule.
                  You're hopeless. By the way, this "Brown rule" is a figment of your ****ing imagination.

Comment

I was wondering if Flagdude could run down or list these so-called rules he keeps throwing out...my mind is blown trying to figure out all these rules and laws based off of this game we enjoy.
                    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2013/14 Part II: The HFH is Covered with Frozen Drivel

Obviously Flagdud has never played hockey in his life. Why do you all keep fueling the fire for him? From things I have read that he has put on here I am not even sure he has ever played sport in his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                        Obviously Flagdud has never played hockey in his life. Why do you all keep fueling the fire for him? From things I have read that he has put on here I am not even sure he has ever played sport in his life.
                        I just wanna know the rules/laws of college hockey so I can apply them towards my enjoyment of the game. He is the holder of the rules so thats why Im asking him.
                        Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                          I don't have much trouble believing he's worn a hockey helmet before. Whether he's played hockey or not is another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                            I was wondering if Flagdude could run down or list these so-called rules he keeps throwing out...my mind is blown trying to figure out all these rules and laws based off of this game we enjoy.
                            Ask Brian Sullivan, who writes for the ECAC on here.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Ask Brian Sullivan, who writes for the ECAC on here.
                              Because you don't know the rule you're quoting?

(Note to everyone: This is how you get him to divulge information that his posts lack, BTW.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Shouldn't compare Fridgen's last couple years with Appert's years. In the end Fridg was going year to year. No player wants to go to a program where the coach may not be there for four years. RPI gave Appert a break on the academic standards and more money to recruit with.
                                I still think RPI can win the ECAC. If they don't get into the NCAA tourney Seth should be taken to the woodshed.

Comment

Working...
                                X