X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14 Part II: The HFH is Covered with Frozen Drivel

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    No one commented on the fact that Jerry Knightley was chosen to be the next addition to the Ring of Honor. Knightley was the star of the team my freshman year 1964-5. While I think that he is very deserving of the honor, he seems like an odd choice to me. He played long enough ago that I don't think his selection will add to the attendance for that game, and there are a couple of older players who are probably somewhat more deserving. If attendance is the main object then I would pick a more recent grad, for example John Carter or Joel Laing. JMHO.

It's near impossible to have a meaningful discussion here lately. I agree he's an odd choice. Why not John Carter? Mike McPhee?
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
      It's near impossible to have a meaningful discussion here lately. I agree he's an odd choice. Why not John Carter? Mike McPhee?
      I suspect that part of the reason, as I think was mentioned, is that the 1964 is being honored that weekend anyway, so he will be in town. Also he is a 2-time first team All American and thus is deserving. I expect that Carter will eventually be chosen. McPhee did not receive any national honors and I would not consider his NHL career with regard to the Ring of Honor. We will never know what he would have done in his senior year if he were not injured.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Jerry Knightley was before my time, but what I've heard about him sounds like he is deserving of the honor. And there should be a member of that squad in the HOF. So far all the members of the hall are all forwards (or coaches). There must be a defenseman or goaltender who deserves recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
          Do we know who is on the selection committee?
          I don't go back as far as some of the posters here, but Joel Laing certainly deserves to be in the discussion.
          And just to mention a few names from the time I started with RPI hockey. Eric Healey, Matt Murley, Brad Tapper, Marc Cavosie and some attention should be given to Nathan Marsters. JMO
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Do we know who is on the selection committee?
            I don't go back as far as some of the posters here, but Joel Laing certainly deserves to be in the discussion.
            And just to mention a few names from the time I started with RPI hockey. Eric Healey, Matt Murley, Brad Tapper, Marc Cavosie and some attention should be given to Nathan Marsters. JMO
            I don't believe that either Tapper or Cavosie are eligible since they did not graduate. (Tapper was in the RPI directory a couple of years ago, so conceivably he has taken additional courses.) I suspect that Murley will eventually get in.

As to the selection committee I don't think it has been mentioned but probably includes the Colonel and SA. I can think of other possibilities, but I better not mention them.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
              Jerry Knightley was before my time, but what I've heard about him sounds like he is deserving of the honor. And there should be a member of that squad in the HOF. So far all the members of the hall are all forwards (or coaches). There must be a defenseman or goaltender who deserves recognition.
              Brinkworth was also on the 63-64 and is in. It has crossed my mind that no goalies and defensemen aren't in. I think that Laing is the most likely goalie inductee. (Puppa didn't graduate from RPI.) I can think of numerous deserving dmen, in no particular order, Hammond, Dark, Bailen, Pothier, Lafontaine '53, Pryce '63.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I don't believe that either Tapper or Cavosie are eligible since they did not graduate. (Tapper was in the RPI directory a couple of years ago, so conceivably he has taken additional courses.) I suspect that Murley will eventually get in.

As to the selection committee I don't think it has been mentioned but probably includes the Colonel and SA. I can think of other possibilities, but I better not mention them.
                Do we know for sure that graduation is a prerequisite for the honor? I haven't seen any of the criteria.
                Also, I have to believe that some of the members of the committee have to go back way before the Colonel and SA.
                As this honor is still is still in its infancy, I believe that members from the fifties and sixties that are deserving should go in as a group, and then individuals from the seventies on could be inducted. At this rate, a guy like Polacek will not get in for twenty more years.
                These are just some personal thoughts.
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Today is January 19, 2014. There are 8 players ahead of Ryan Haggerty. Did you vote todaywithin the last 24 hours?

Vote HERE.

We got him in the top 10!!! Let's make his position a little more secure.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    Today is January 19, 2014. There are 8 players ahead of Ryan Haggerty. Did you vote todaywithin the last 24 hours?

Vote HERE.

We got him in the top 10!!! Let's make his position a little more secure.
                    I understand one's loyalty to their Team but does anyone really think Haggs deserves the vote over "Johnny Hockey"?......PS, I voted for Haggs
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      Do we know for sure that graduation is a prerequisite for the honor? I haven't seen any of the criteria.
                      Also, I have to believe that some of the members of the committee have to go back way before the Colonel and SA.
                      As this honor is still is still in its infancy, I believe that members from the fifties and sixties that are deserving should go in as a group, and then individuals from the seventies on could be inducted. At this rate, a guy like Polacek will not get in for twenty more years.
                      These are just some personal thoughts.
                      I don't think that we have seen criteria, but somewhere I recall reading that graduation was a criteria. It might have been someone's guess and it may have been for the athletics HoF. I too would hope that someone, or better more than one, who goes way back is on the committee. I think it is better to honor members one at a time, and I don't think that Polacek as a two-time All American will have to wait 20 years, but there should be a minimum waiting period -- say ten years after graduation.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                        I understand one's loyalty to their Team but does anyone really think Haggs deserves the vote over "Johnny Hockey"?......PS, I voted for Haggs
                        I don't, but this is really a ballot box stuffing contest.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wait, I thought the Hobey Baker went to the best player on your team regardless of how good the rest of the field is. Why would they have a fan vote to determine the finalists if that wasn't the case?
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Does it matter for either one when a western player will win it? There's been ONE eastern player this century.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Does it matter for either one when a western player will win it? There's been ONE eastern player this century.
                              Depending upon when one regards the century as beginning.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Depending upon when one regards the century as beginning.
                                The 21st Century is defined as "Building to the year 2100", therefore January 1st 2001 is the first day. It was Final Jeopardy on the second episode of the Alex Trebek version (although the specific answer was about the 20th Century). Everyone got it wrong and bet the farm.
                                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X