X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Denver XXXVII

As we were saying. . .
    Last edited by Old Pio; 03-10-2014, 04:33 AM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    As we were saying. . .
    Wow, we got a lot of extra miles out of the old thread

The boys need to take at least 2 out of the 3 next road games before breaking for Christmas. They are #20 in the USCHO Poll and received votes in the USA Hockey/USA Today Poll.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

When was the last time (before this season) that both DU and North Dakota were unranked? I'm sure the sore WCHA fans were having a laugh at the expense of the "like minded schools" these past few weeks.

Agreed, these upcoming games could be crucial to the season.
      University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
      Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

*sniff, sniff* *sniff, sniff*

Hmmmm, new thread smell.
        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
          *sniff, sniff* *sniff, sniff*

Hmmmm, new thread smell.
          I keep getting lost trying to find my way here.
          University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
          Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Anyone know of the reason why Denver did not pursue another bid for the Frozen Four? I heard about 16 months ago that there was some interest in the Denver Sports Commission, but I went to a holiday party attended by Rich Karlis (on the board) and he answered that my question should be addressed by PBD. What was a bit interesting to me was that he indicated no interest in bringing it up on my behalf and he implied I should approach her myself. Another fallout from the debate and the financial situation at DU? Just wondering, especially seeing as it went well and the announcement will be today.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
              Anyone know of the reason why Denver did not pursue another bid for the Frozen Four? I heard about 16 months ago that there was some interest in the Denver Sports Commission, but I went to a holiday party attended by Rich Karlis (on the board) and he answered that my question should be addressed by PBD. What was a bit interesting to me was that he indicated no interest in bringing it up on my behalf and he implied I should approach her myself. Another fallout from the debate and the financial situation at DU? Just wondering, especially seeing as it went well and the announcement will be today.
              Well, probably around that time, the Metro Denver Sports Commission was going through a lot of change- they were shortly after absorbed by Visit Denver. I would imagine that the foot was let off the gas for bids like Frozen Fours until they got those ongoing existence issues resolved. I worked with them for a while, and while SportAccord, the 2008 Frozen Four, the Churchill Cup, and some other events did great things for the city, I think they also stretched Denver Sports pretty thin, and they've had to regroup.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                Well, probably around that time, the Metro Denver Sports Commission was going through a lot of change- they were shortly after absorbed by Visit Denver. I would imagine that the foot was let off the gas for bids like Frozen Fours until they got those ongoing existence issues resolved. I worked with them for a while, and while SportAccord, the 2008 Frozen Four, the Churchill Cup, and some other events did great things for the city, I think they also stretched Denver Sports pretty thin, and they've had to regroup.
                Could DU host a regional at Magness? Or is there a seat minimum of 8,000 or 10,000 or more?
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Volleyballers Brea Muhle (Columbus, Neb.) and Colleen King(Steamboat Springs, Colo.) were named to the Division I Midwest All-Regional Team, AVCA announced. This is the first time in Denver volleyball history that a student-athlete has earned All-Regional honors
                  Congrats!
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                    Could DU host a regional at Magness? Or is there a seat minimum of 8,000 or 10,000 or more?
                    Given that South Bend and Fargo got regionals, I wouldn't see why Magness couldn't get one. It's a matter of stepping up to bid.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Hoops final from Fort Collins:

Denver 80
                      CSU 70

First win for Denver in Fort Collins since January 1979. Brett Olson with a career high 24 points.
                      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        Minimum is 6,000, however in a city with an nhl arena there's little reason to host at magness. DU would likely have to foot the bid on their own, makes more sense to hold it at Pepsi and hope the new mega-jumbo-Tron attracts 10k or so. That said, just like the '76 Olympics, this city doesn't seem interested in hosting events that don't have to do with the broncos, or beer.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                          Minimum is 6,000, however in a city with an nhl arena there's little reason to host at magness. DU would likely have to foot the bid on their own, makes more sense to hold it at Pepsi and hope the new mega-jumbo-Tron attracts 10k or so. That said, just like the '76 Olympics, this city doesn't seem interested in hosting events that don't have to do with the broncos, or beer.

r
                          Last time DU hosted a regional at the Pepsi Center it was a huge success. It was the year before they hosted the Frozen Four.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post

r
                            Probably true on most accounts. However, many of the events we hosted when I was at Denver Sports were very successful. It is refreshing to see the NCAA scale back on regionals, maybe there will be less empty buildings.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

I felt both the Denver regional in 2007 and the Colorado Springs regional in 2008 were successful. I think I had eight seats in Denver (as part of the DU FF package) and all my guests had a great time. It was a great dry run for 2008. I know HP is right, if it was not for the Broncos or beer, why would Denver actually make an effort? Maybe a letter writing campaign should be in order the next time the NCAA prepares to solicit bids for the FF after 2018.

Comment

Working...
                              X