X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
    The name change wasn't the point of why locals aren't supporting DU. It was DU's meddling with Metro State in the Golden Dome is what caused the rift.

Questions The answers I usually get
    "Which school most resembles the community?" Metro State
    "Which school has done more to help the community?" Metro State
    "Which students will be part of the community after they graduate?" Metro State
    "If the situation was reversed would Metro State meddle with DU?" No
    A .250 batting average won't get these respondents into the Hall of Fame. While that survey might point to the necessity of a DU charm offensive, I'm not entirely convinced that potential ticket buyers are demurring because of the Metro kerfuffle. "Honey, we don't want to go to that basketball game. Remember how DU screwed with Metro?" If we're talking about hockey attendance, other factors would seem to be at play: new conference, weak schedule, very slow start and, oh yes, DU fires college hockey's equivalent of Coach K (props to DG). Not to mention spending tens of thousands of dollars in an embarrassing Soviet style effort to justify pandering to Third World type students by dumping a mascot popular with students and alumni.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 12-28-2013, 03:38 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      A .250 batting average won't get these respondents into the Hall of Fame. While that survey might point to the necessity of a DU charm offensive, I'm not entirely convinced that potential ticket buyers are demurring because of the Metro kerfuffle. "Honey, we don't want to go to that basketball game. Remember how DU screwed with Metro?" If we're talking about hockey attendance, other factors would seem to be at play: new conference, weak schedule, very slow start and, oh yes, DU fires college hockey's equivalent of Coach K (props to DG). Not to mention spending tens of thousands of dollars in an embarrassing Soviet style effort to justify pandering to Third World type students by dumping a mascot popular with students and alumni.
      Pandering to Third World type students? Geez, you say that like it's a bad thing. I thought you earned a graduate school degree in that discipline.
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Drew Shore recalled by Florida. He is playing in tonight's game against Detroit.

https://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/stat...93418526396416
        Last edited by du78; 12-28-2013, 07:07 PM.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
          Pandering to Third World type students? Geez, you say that like it's a bad thing. I thought you earned a graduate school degree in that discipline.
          I majored in FAC.

Comment

I majored in FAC.
            ....and minored in cutting class.

Comment

....and minored in cutting class.
              A legend in both disciplines

Comment

Tream USA 8 Germany 0
                Butcher with another PP goal and Q Shore got another assist.

Canada next Tuesday morning.

Butcher with a postgame interview.
                Last edited by vizoroo; 12-29-2013, 10:24 AM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Bozie returned to Leafs last night with a 3 assist effort.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...n-from-injury/

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Final:
                    Dartmouth 8
                    Northeastern 8

What, they ran outta relievers and Bud Selig declared another tie?

Comment

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

You're missing the point.

This private university has no connection to the city other than the name "Denver". You could transplant to any other town. There is no reason for the locals to spend money on DU.

I can see why they're having issues at DU, they can't connect to the community.

Comment

With a couple of games having been played already this week, DU is up to #22 in PWR. Must win against Brown on Friday for the boys. The last regular season out of conference game this season and it is on ROOT Sports. SCSU comes in for 2 the following weekend. They have been hot and DU needs to cool them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                          You're missing the point.

This private university has no connection to the city other than the name "Denver". You could transplant to any other town. There is no reason for the locals to spend money on DU.

I can see why they're having issues at DU, they can't connect to the community.
                          No connection other than the tens of thousands of graduates living and working in Denver, who received degrees at no cost to the taxpayers. Your premise is flawed and presented twice now with no evidence. Let's start with a simple question: what constitutes "connection?" in your mind? And what are these "issues" which seem to occupy so much of your time? Picking on Metro State? Please, not to make me laugh.

The University of Houston (referred to derisively by UT and A&M grads as Cougar High) is a public institution. Yet in the Phi Slamma Jamma era (multiple consecutive Final Four appearances) had difficulty filling the modest sized Hofheinz Pavillion. Rice University, one of America's finest, can only average around 20K for football, in a 70K seat stadium. But they play their games against A&M and Texas in Reliant Stadium because of the enormous crowds of local alums who show up. One is private, the other public. Both have attendance issues. From where I sit their "connection" problems are about the same as DU's: too many graduates from other schools in the market. And too many major league options for fans not connected to those schools.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 12-31-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

No connection other than the tens of thousands of graduates living and working in Denver, who received degrees at no cost to the taxpayers. Your premise is flawed and presented twice now with no evidence. Let's start with a simple question: what constitutes "connection?" in your mind? And what are these "issues" which seem to occupy so much of your time? Picking on Metro State? Please, not to make me laugh.

The University of Houston (referred to derisively by UT and A&M grads as Cougar High) is a public institution. Yet in the Phi Slamma Jamma era (multiple consecutive Final Four appearances) had difficulty filling the modest sized Hofheinz Pavillion. Rice University, one of America's finest, can only average around 20K for football, in a 70K seat stadium. But they play their games against A&M and Texas in Reliant Stadium because of the enormous crowds of local alums who show up. One is private, the other public. Both have attendance issues. From where I sit their "connection" problems are about the same as DU's: too many graduates from other schools in the market. And too many major league options for fans not connected to those schools.
                            So you're saying that if Five Slammer Jammers had gone to Rice then Denver wouldn't have been OFFSIDES so frequently when playing A & M in Hofheinz Pavilion? Frankly, that's tortured logic on your part, but not without merit. Your case would have been ably buttressed had you reminded people, that, in the words of your brother...

We are ever true to Brown,
                            For we love our college dear,
                            And wherever we may go,
                            We are ready with a cheer,
                            And the people always say,
                            That you can't outshine Brown men,
                            With their Rah! Rah! Rah! and their Ki! Yi! Yi!
                            And their B-R-O-W-N.

Comment

Checking in after a long absence--some guy from Metro gets an USCHO account to spread the Roadrunner gospel? Hallelujah!

Go Bozak, and our other NHL'ers. Still can't believe we had 10 in the NHL recently, although that number may have since dropped.

I do believe we play an Ivy League school this weekend, and I'm guessing they have unattractive uniforms. Let the beer flow, and go Pios!

Comment

So you're saying that if Five Slammer Jammers had gone to Rice then Denver wouldn't have been OFFSIDES so frequently when playing A & M in Hofheinz Pavilion? Frankly, that's tortured logic on your part, but not without merit. Your case would have been ably buttressed had you reminded people, that, in the words of your brother...

We are ever true to Brown,
                                For we love our college dear,
                                And wherever we may go,
                                We are ready with a cheer,
                                And the people always say,
                                That you can't outshine Brown men,
                                With their Rah! Rah! Rah! and their Ki! Yi! Yi!
                                And their B-R-O-W-N.
                                I prefer: "What's the color of horse sh*t? Brown. Brown. Brown." I never tire of reminding him that George Lincoln Rockwell was a proud Brown grad. As was Otto Kerner (who also was graduated from our high school) the only sitting federal judge tried, convicted and sent to prison. Here's the amazing part: he was convicted of official corruption while serving as governor of Illinois. Who would ever believe that?
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X