Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Just because they report 0 attendance on the stat sheet (which they have done many times before, BTW) does not mean no one was at the game. Obviously, there were "some spectators" watching the game:

game highlights
    * Officials, cheerleaders and custodians may be "spectators", but do not count in the attendance, right?
    * Good to see BS35 and his lackeys sweating the details on attendance. Hoops IS a revenue-producing sport, no?
    * Guess it's easier (and only slightly less embarassing) to post "0" as your attendance, and then claim "the dog ate ticket office report" instead of reporting the real attendance, which is probably a 3 digit number trending closer to 2 digits than 4 digits.
    * Coach's salary can't possibly be covered by 100% of the home gate receipts. Must be selling a LOT of hot dogs.

Probably gonna have to wait 'til there's a more local EPSN Epping outlet to get someone to ask BS35 the REAL tough questions.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Too funny, Chuck.... If it wasn't so sad...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Does anyone else remember how long it's been since UNH Hoops abandoned playing any home games at The Whitt? Pretty sure it predated BS35's regime, but it's hard to imagine (1) it ever happened in the first place, and (2) barring a recurrence of the Matt Bonner/Florida one-off(s), seeing it happen again anytime soon.
        Appears the '98-'99 women's basketball season was played there, not sure about before/after that: http://pictureyourself.tripod.com/wbbindex4.html

Useless trivia for the day: I believe The Whitt inherited the basketball goals (i.e. backboards/rims/supports/shot clocks) from the old Boston Garden when the Celtics moved to the then-Fleet Center.
        So says the Whitt's website: http://www.whittcenter.com/backstage/
        The basketball hoops at the Arena were bought from the Boston Celtics and were originally used in the Boston Garden.
        * Officials, cheerleaders and custodians may be "spectators", but do not count in the attendance, right?
        They've been using this tactic at the Whitt to pad hockey attendance numbers for years now, it has 6,100 seats but the "sell out" number was bumped from 6,266 to 6,501 in the 2000-2001 season.
        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
          ClOuD9..........I kinda agree with your position that changes in the coaching staff should have been made a couple of years ago. I don't know if they were or not, but the program had gotten stagnant.
          I was initially going to skip replying if only so that the focus would stay on-topic (Scarano's firing of McCloskey), but now that we're talking UNH basketball too what the hell.
          The biggest missed opportunity in my view was this past off-season with Erin Whitten taking the head coach position at Merrimack. She's an alum, former National Team player (for almost a decade), first woman to play in a number of men's pro-leagues including the AHL, former head coach of the Boston Freeze in the Canadian Women's Hockey League, assistant for the USA Women at the '06 Four Nations Cup, and former assistant coach & associate head coach here at UNH. If they had a chance to get her I feel they should have pulled the trigger and cut their losses with Mac, her resume speaks for it's self.

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
          When you lose your "pipelines" and your "bird-dog" contacts, that's the first step down the slippery slope. Is that where the UNH womaen's program is parked? I'm not close enough to have an opinion. Anyone?
          Freak has hit on this in the past, and I'm inclined to believe he is a bit more informed than I on this front:
          Originally posted by freak View Post
          From what I've heard, there were a number of factors that impacted recruiting that hit all around the same time.

I've heard allegations of negative recruiting from competing schools. Much of these allegations have come from the Minnesota folk on the boards, many who have expressed issues with McCloskey, based on what they hear around the rinks, etc.

From the Ontario folk, I've heard that Hockey Canada has actively steered recruits away from UNH. This allegedly stems from the first Frozen Fenway game, when Kelly Paton and Courtney Birchard chose to play there instead of with the U-22s in the Four Nations tournament. HC supposedly blames McCloskey. The biggest name I've heard referenced is Marie-Philip Poulin, who ended up at BU, and was an Olympian as a high schooler.

It would seem that the women's team, as has been alleged of the men, has had problems with the Admissions dept. Specifically, I have heard of a national team caliber goalie recruit who was denied admission (heard from someone close to the team at which she landed), necessitating a late offer to another player. Like the men (Stafford, Charlebois), the women has had a couple girls become academically ineligible, so perhaps this is part of the reason for Admission's tighter standards.

And lastly, while many have mention McCloskey's British Columbia connections in regards to recruiting, those don't help much in the women's game. Most of the top Canadian players come from Ontario and to a lesser extent, Quebec.

Regardless of the reason, it almost seems as if the well is poisoned. And if that is true, I wonder if it can be fixed. At least Jamie Wood brings some Minnesota connections with him.
          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM.
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

So I'm new here but I am very close with the women's hockey team, so I know exactly what happened. I would just like to say that the University was completely justified in its actions to fire McCloskey. I know that he released his version of what happened and I have to say although I understand he is trying to save his reputation, his description of the incident was definitely the G rated version. What he did was much more violent and would have led to termination at every other school also. All of the people on the bench at the time saw what happened and they were all interviewed by the university, giving similar accounts. As a result, you cannot blame this on one or two individuals. Everyone on the bench at the time saw what happened and I also know that there were a couple of people in the stands who had a proper angle of the bench area and could see it as well. The university absolutely handled the incident correctly by firing McCloskey. This was not an isolated incident either. It was simply the most severe and ultimately was the last straw to break the camel's back. I was SHOCKED to hear that he wanted his job back. There is absolutely no way that will happen and I am not sure why he is even attempting an "I'm the victim" stance. There is absolutely no question he was in the wrong and he needs to leave because he is now creating stress for everyone in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by prideofthecats View Post
              So I'm new here but I am very close with the women's hockey team, so I know exactly what happened. I would just like to say that the University was completely justified in its actions to fire McCloskey. I know that he released his version of what happened and I have to say although I understand he is trying to save his reputation, his description of the incident was definitely the G rated version. What he did was much more violent and would have led to termination at every other school also. All of the people on the bench at the time saw what happened and they were all interviewed by the university, giving similar accounts. As a result, you cannot blame this on one or two individuals. Everyone on the bench at the time saw what happened and I also know that there were a couple of people in the stands who had a proper angle of the bench area and could see it as well. The university absolutely handled the incident correctly by firing McCloskey. This was not an isolated incident either. It was simply the most severe and ultimately was the last straw to break the camel's back. I was SHOCKED to hear that he wanted his job back. There is absolutely no way that will happen and I am not sure why he is even attempting an "I'm the victim" stance. There is absolutely no question he was in the wrong and he needs to leave because he is now creating stress for everyone in the program.
              What a pitiful post. Nothing but innuendo without even the slightest hint of what happened, just shock at how bad "it" was, whatever "it" is. Either grow a set and describe what you think happened or s--t--f--u and move along.

Comment

Yeah, this was a pathetic post. Reminds me of those paid bloggers who try to trash another company or product. The "U" has a huge problem on their hands.

Comment

UNH should dump Men's basketball and bring back lacrosse. They were actually decent in fielding a team. The Sports Illustrated article people are referencing happened when I was there. IIRC, it was about a UNH /Dartmouth game in which the two schools had the longest losing streaks in Division 1 basketball. ( 18/19 games each?). I think they may have called UNH the all-time worst D1 program. I like college BB and I believe I went to one game as a student. They were/are terrible. Nothing has changed.
                  Last edited by scoreboard; 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Marty. So tell us ... why do most of FOWH take issue with your version of events, AND your actions?

The floor is all yours, mon ami ... let's clear this up once and for all, eh? Y'know, for "the good of the program", right??
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Your bouncyball team isn't bad. Ours is bad: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/ And that is after climbing out of dead last.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        Your bouncyball team isn't bad. Ours is bad: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/ And that is after climbing out of dead last.
                        Used to love watching Cindy Blodget drop down 3's from half court; not so successful as women's coach there?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Here's all you have to know about UNH hoops and the sham league they are in. UMass-Lowell is a brand new entrant in the league and to D1. Up to now they have been D2. Allegedly there is a world of difference between D2 and D1, right? Then how come UML is able to win their third conference game this season (now 3-1) while UNH continues to wallow away in the far reaches of D1. I got a first hand report of the Binghamton-UNH game from a week or so ago. My reporter seemed to think that there were several high schools in the Binghamton area that would give UNH a game.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but int he mid-80's Sports Illustrated did a piece on the futility of UNH men's basketball and the fact that the school kept Friel at the helm. Here we are 30 years later and I would guess that SI or some other media outlet is about to reprise the article.

And BTW, it is Herrion not Henrion. Recent grad John should not dissed in such a manner. Which brings me to another question. How come Scarano lets Herrion get away with dressing like a slob on the bench? Slovenly in dress, I say, breeds slovenly in actions.
                          I had to revisit this because I think I missed one of your key points. You're right the AE is a sham league and for UNH to be a bottom dweller in that league is a disgrace. If Scarano has the stones to fire McCloskey over what appears to be an EMO(as in emotional train wreck) player's meltdown then he ought to be able to pull the trigger on Herrion
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Best show that I ever saw in UNH field house was a Pat Metheny concert in 1979. Second best was three of the Chicago Seven in April 1970. Never saw a UNH basketball game in the field house, not even during all my years in Durham public schools, so cannot comment on the quality of those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Best show that I ever saw in UNH field house was a Pat Metheny concert in 1979. Second best was three of the Chicago Seven in April 1970. Never saw a UNH basketball game in the field house, not even during all my years in Durham public schools, so cannot comment on the quality of those teams.
                              I did go to one hoop game back in the day. I think Dave Pemberton was on the team. He was a smooth operator both on and off the court. As for concerts, not sure which one was louder but saw J. Geils (great back then) and Rick Derringer's White Trash (god awful and god awfully loud) and also what I call the most mismatched concert I have ever been to - the Byrds, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Blue Oyster Cult. Byrds were great, other two not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                I did go to one hoop game back in the day. I think Dave Pemberton was on the team. He was a smooth operator both on and off the court. As for concerts, not sure which one was louder but saw J. Geils (great back then) and Rick Derringer's White Trash (god awful and god awfully loud) and also what I call the most mismatched concert I have ever been to - the Byrds, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Blue Oyster Cult. Byrds were great, other two not so much.
                                Springsteen.
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X