Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by all bear View Post
    You mean Cronin the concrete block puncher?
    No, no, not him ... the guy who was coach before Cronin and came back from *sabbatical* to replace Cronin. Y'know ... good ol' whatshisname ... damm!t my memory isn't what it used to be, sorry. Human lightning rod, though. VERY entertaining.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      So I looked at this website and it really doesn't tell you much except that teams are rated, I think, on how they finish in the various leagues they compete in. The fact that UNH is fairly high up in the men's rankings (although far behind Florida State) to me is more a testament to the coaches than the AD. Anyone who even casually observes UNH athletics knows that the different programs accomplish a lot with very little. Hockey is a prime example of this. Now, this is the part of the job where I give Marty props. I don't think he has done anything radically different than his predecessors, but he hasn't screwed things up either. I think, at least up to now, he has let his coaches do their jobs and succeed as best they can within the confines of what they have to work with, both money and talent wise. But what about going forward, has Marty advocated enough for his coaches regarding admissions policies? Some coaches, including McCloskey, would say no. From what I have heard, that is the real reason that Brian was dismissed. Not because he grabbed a kid's jersey and yelled in her face. If that was a transgression, is there a coach at UNH who would be left standing? From my view Brian was dismissed, and defamed as he walked out the door, because he had become a thorn in Marty's side about this stuff. Marty got tired of being challenged and took the first opportunity he saw to get rid of him.

Let me say here that I still view Marty as the best AD UNH has had in the time I have been a UNH fan (I go back to 1970). He, way more than his predecessors, professionalized the way the different programs operate, was able to get UNH beyond the wink and a handshake way that things ran back in the 70's and 80's, and never had hidden agendas such as the one that consumed the former AD/Head basketball coach. I just wish he hadn't allowed his ego to get in the way he dealt with the various constituencies at UNH, most notably the coaches and those who support the various programs.
      Fairly balanced post, with the pros and cons of Blue Skies' complete tenure at UNH.

It will be very interesting to see how tonight's meeting goes ...

Comment

I would agree that Marty has done well - overall - in his tenure given the lack of resources. That lack has at times driven things in directions I have not cared for, but I can understand the thinking while disagreeing. I am also perplexed at times by things that have nothing to do with resources - rewarding Herrion, Black Betty, Whitt seating, etc. But sometimes a single action is so egregious that any and all prior good acts are irrelevant. Such is the case with the intentional defamation of Coach McCloskey. Marty needs to go.

And while I'm at it... Failure to control Admissions (or perhaps outright support of the direction), the logo fiasco, and the McCloskey travesty makes three strikes in my book for Huddleston. He too should go.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          If the AD wanted to replace him based on performance, he should have done so up front, rather than creating an excuse.
          THIS. I've advocated cutting McCloskey loose for two years now based solely off performance, I'm not expecting the glory days of '03-'04 through '08-'09 (6 consecutive HE Regular Season titles, 4 consecutive HE Tournament titles, and 4 consecutive NCAA appearances including two Frozen Fours) but the failure to get over .500 once in three years, and possibly on his way to a fourth this year, combined with the decomitts and outbound transfers is enough in my view.

The way the athletic department handled this was wrong, all wrong. Shame on them.
          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-13-2014, 09:47 AM.
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

ClOuD9..........I kinda agree with your position that changes in the coaching staff should have been made a couple of years ago. I don't know if they were or not, but the program had gotten stagnant. From my years of experience observing men's &
            now women's hockey teams, the assistants are at many places the key to keeping the programs momentum going. They are
            at the prep & junior games, talking to prospective recruits, etc. Not many Head Coaches spend the nights on the road that they once did. The HC may make one visit to close the deal, but the heart f the recruiting process is handled by one or both
            assistants. When you lose your "pipelines" and your "bird-dog" contacts, that's the first step down the slippery slope. Is that where the UNH womaen's program is parked? I'm not close enough to have an opinion. Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              I would agree that Marty has done well - overall - in his tenure given the lack of resources. That lack has at times driven things in directions I have not cared for, but I can understand the thinking while disagreeing. I am also perplexed at times by things that have nothing to do with resources - rewarding Herrion, Black Betty, Whitt seating, etc. But sometimes a single action is so egregious that any and all prior good acts are irrelevant. Such is the case with the intentional defamation of Coach McCloskey. Marty needs to go.

And while I'm at it... Failure to control Admissions (or perhaps outright support of the direction), the logo fiasco, and the McCloskey travesty makes three strikes in my book for Huddleston. He too should go.
              Agree with Aerman on almost all points. Lack of any real response from the AD,Huddleston,and the Board of Trustees,to my emails ,can only be interpreted by me as support of the AD's words in that shameful press release. It is my hope that the Board of Trustees will see the light and terminate the AD. The reputation of the university may be at stake.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Yes, that is what I remember, his players quit on him, with many transferring and others changing their minds on coming to UNH. That is the time, if any, that McCloskey should have been fired. Karen Kay remains the winningest percentage hockey coach of all time.
                I know I'm late to this conversation, but that statement isn't even close. Karen did well, but wasn't even close to McCurdy.

Comment

I also posted on women's side: A friend of mine is a D1 coach (I know several at D1 and D3 levels, both men and women) and here is a little excert from one of the emails. It pretty much was the same feelings/opinions spread across several conversations I had with several of my coaching buddies:
                  Nothing surprises me anymore. What sucks for Brian is having something like that on his record, even though us in the know, know better. I feel bad for him. I just don't understand what the school said about zero-tolerance. When did UNH become a jr. high school in a high crime area? No loyalty to a coach that has given you a lot of years, especially when what he did was what a million other coaches would have done in the same situation. Plus they are wearing gear, the kid can't get hurt. I had a coach grab my face mask and twist my head to the side, my neck was sore from it but I got the lesson....I didn't take away the man's ability to feed and shelter his family. I never thought it was out of line. You know what.....maybe teams should get rid of coaches altogether. Let the kids run themselves since we arent allowed to hold any of them accountable. One spoiled brat kid who never learns any lessons in life except to keep being a spoiled brat can ruin everything. Why does the admin cater these kids? why don't admins ever stick by their coaches?
                  I thought Judy Ray was a horrible AD...Marty may be surpassing that measure of unacceptable.

Comment

Is there a meeting tonight Chuck on this issue? Must've missed it...
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post

Aerman - have to disagree with you regarding Huddleston. While I admit to having a bit of a dog in this hunt, I am able to objectively look at many of the macro-level things that have been done or will be done on his watch... A MUCH stronger engagement with the alumni base, expanding past the obvious Boston base to NYC, CHi, DC, SF, etc.; delivery of PTP; the new Comms school to be delivered; steering UNH through the continued tightening of the belt with the State's education financing; introduction of the joint FP law degree; Cowell upgrades, etc. etc.

In my interactions with him, I come away convinced about his positive intent, every time. I don't sense anything but a huge commitment to building a state university along the lines of a UVA, or a UNC. He has some pretty high aspirations for the school, and I'm pretty enthused about the direction.

THAT STATED, I can enumerate many instances where those macro-level successes get obscured by UNH (not necessarily specifically Huddleston) incidents and decisions that just absolutely leave me shaking my head, the logo one being the most obvious one recently (I don't want to include coach m until all the details come out - reserving judgment, save for the horrific headline verbiage used). Unfortunately, those very public, seemingly unnecessary gaffes end up diminishing some of the tremendous progress that has been made on his (and others, like Innis, etc.) watch.

Anyhoo, don't want to appear a shill for the university, but I hope that we are able to recognize the fairly sizable results that have been delivered over the past few years.
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

http://betspin.kinja.com/new-hampshi...rev=1389748157

Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                          There are no words. Chuck?
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            There are no words. Chuck?
                            Oh, yes there are, and few of them are suitable for public consumption.

Comment

Hey ho, you learn something new every day. ESPN New Hampshire?? I sure missed a lot while I was away; go figure.

Ratings must be through the roof, seeing that the host is dedicating 20+ minutes to UNH Men's Hoops, in this basketball-crazy state of ours. Gotta think the only thing lower than Coach Herrion's winning percentage at UNH might be the ratings at WGAM.

Talk about a guy completely out of touch with the interests of the local fanbase. Although not too surprising, considering the host was a UMass alum who mentioned the supposedly-barren Minuteman hoops history before the Calipari/Camby era. Wonder if he ever heard of that Julius Erving guy?

But 20 minutes on UNH Men's Hoops? What next - 24/7 coverage of Plymouth State Luge??

Enough about the Baby Momma Ship ... back to our boy Blue Skies.

You gotta think BS35 must have been thrilled initially that he wasn't going to have to answer any uncomfortable questions about his recent dismissal of the Women's Hockey Head Coach, though. Looks like he is (deservedly) getting it these days from all angles.

Kinda funny that BS35 only recalls "two transfers" who were the keys to the short Gib Chapman glory days of UNH Hoops, naming one (Matt Alosa) but totally spacing on arguably the greatest player in UNH Hoops history - Scott Drapeau. Yet Mr. Finger-on-the-Pulse couldn't name him either, which is interesting since the self-described "college hoops junkie" was probably Drapeau's classmate at UMass before Scott transferred to Durham. Never has the road from Nashua NH to Bristol CT looked any more remote.

Blue Skies sounds like he sure could use a few friends to lift his spirits ... but seems that's not working so well these days either.
                              Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Hey ho, you learn something new every day. ESPN New Hampshire?? I sure missed a lot while I was away; go figure.

Ratings must be through the roof, seeing that the host is dedicating 20+ minutes to UNH Men's Hoops, in this basketball-crazy state of ours. Gotta think the only thing lower than Coach Herrion's winning percentage at UNH might be the ratings at WGAM.

Talk about a guy completely out of touch with the interests of the local fanbase. Although not too surprising, considering the host was a UMass alum who mentioned the supposedly-barren Minuteman hoops history before the Calipari/Camby era. Wonder if he ever heard of that Julius Erving guy?

But 20 minutes on UNH Men's Hoops? What next - 24/7 coverage of Plymouth State Luge??

Enough about the Baby Momma Ship ... back to our boy Blue Skies.

You gotta think BS35 must have been thrilled initially that he wasn't going to have to answer any uncomfortable questions about his recent dismissal of the Women's Hockey Head Coach, though. Looks like he is (deservedly) getting it these days from all angles.

Kinda funny that BS35 only recalls "two transfers" who were the keys to the short Gib Chapman glory days of UNH Hoops, naming one (Matt Alosa) but totally spacing on arguably the greatest player in UNH Hoops history - Scott Drapeau. Yet Mr. Finger-on-the-Pulse couldn't name him either, which is interesting since the self-described "college hoops junkie" was probably Drapeau's classmate at UMass before Scott transferred to Durham. Never has the road from Nashua NH to Bristol CT looked any more remote.

Blue Skies sounds like he sure could use a few friends to lift his spirits ... but seems that's not working so well these days either.
                                So it is ok in your mind for your ad to say we have always sucked so be it. And that, well we are just happy nobody is in jail at this point. ???

Never thought I would see Chuck very much agree with an athletic department with this mentality. Oh well, guess we have to get used to the new Chuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X