2005-06...33-3-1
    2006-07...28-4-5
    2007-08...33-4-1
    2008-09...24-6-5
    2009-10...19-9-5
    2010-11...14-16-2
    2011-12...10-22-3
    2012-13...14-16-4

I know a lot of UNH'ers on this side don't follow the women's game much, but in 2010, there was a coaching change made to address the recruiting issues. Also at play was a "dry spell" in terms of pull with admissions, which was, I believe felt on the men's side as well, which resulted in some of the de-comitments mentioned. The team was / is headed in the right direction again, but the climb in much tougher than the fall.

All this aside, certainly not a record deserving of the malicious manner in which he was terminated.
    Also, the women's game has changed a ton compared to the early days. Many more programs out there and both BC and BU have become powers. BU didn't even have a program back in my days!
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
      I was at the game, but from the box score:Attendance: 213 I personally know at least half, if not more, of the attendees, at least one of whom was directly behind the bench and noticed NOTHING. I did not personally hear from one person who saw any untoward behavior on the bench, and it was all the buzz at the game the next day, with basically the same crowd. The witnesses for the U had better be polishing up on their purgery.
      That last line gave me a hearty chuckle. Good week for the good guys (and gals) in this sorry spectacle.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The U should be getting out ahead of this debacle if they want to win the PR battle because as it stands now they're losing big time in the court of public opinion!
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          You wouldn't have cause to know, but DC is probably as close to the team as possible without being a member (any longer). When she speaks, there's not a lot conjecture taking place.
          Sounds plausible , but my experience, especially on the coaching side, is that an explosive temper problem can manifest itself at any time. Especially within the confines of a private locker room. Same kind of temper that Umile often exhibits?
          sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Pland27 View Post
            Greg Ambrose, are we equating younger with being less informed? Your support for Scarano is weak. There can be no valid excuse for the stupidity of the press release from a supposedly intelligent person which might well have ruined a good man's life. If there's any truth to McCloskey's claims, the university owes him an apology and a job, though I don't know why he'd want the latter. The young lady in question should have been dismissed from the hockey program earlier if allegations of her attitude and behavior are accurate.

I guess I won't pass judgement on the firing. I've certainly seen and done what he did while coaching, but we're living in an age where that's not going to fly, especially with a male doing it to a female. It's a no-win situation for the admin.

Scarano's handling of the announcement was shameful, however. If Brian and the school needed to part ways, so be it. No need to smear him on the way out. Scarano is experienced enough with the media to make me assume this was no blunder.

Comment

Originally posted by Markt
              Scarano's handling of the announcement was shameful, however. If Brian and the school needed to part ways, so be it. No need to smear him on the way out. Scarano is experienced enough with the media to make me assume this was no blunder.
              You can say that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Markt
                This
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                  Sounds plausible , but my experience, especially on the coaching side, is that an explosive temper problem can manifest itself at any time. Especially within the confines of a private locker room. Same kind of temper that Umile often exhibits?
                  Man you're spending a lot of time on our threads for someone whose program is busy chasing 13-year-old boys around!! ;-)
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                    Kinda ironic that you've mentioned this during your extended fishing expedition in this pond ... once upon a time there was this guy at UMaine, very successful and very flamboyant but likewise VERY animated and VERY intense ... aaaahhhh nevermind ...

Comment

Enough of this insanity already..........the AD should be canned and replaced by a sauve personality capable o smoothing things over and re-building severly damaged bridges. Why, of course, you know who I'm reerring to.........none other than Dennis Rodman. Fresh from an International peace making venture, can you picture passing by the UNH Ad's office and seeing
                      "The Worm" in his hot pink jump suit with matching plumes????? That will make many/all forget about Coach McCloskey
                      getting that players attention. (Yeah, I know, they'll want Coach U and Bo to wear matching outfits on the men's bench {Jim
                      "T", you're excused from this one}).

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Kinda ironic that you've mentioned this during your extended fishing expedition in this pond ... once upon a time there was this guy at UMaine, very successful and very flamboyant but likewise VERY animated and VERY intense ... aaaahhhh nevermind ...
                        You mean Cronin the concrete block puncher?.... nah, he's moved on to Toronto. Hey, if it really bothers y,all so badly with me trying to help ya start anew, I'll stay off your lawn and you can spend the next 10 years by yourself trying to get whistling Dick replaced.
                        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          That's a great point. How soon we forget.

Comment

Unfortunately for those who are of the lynch mob mindset, it needs to be acknowledged that "his" programs have us in the 18th spot in the Capital One Cup standings, arguably a fairly important metric for his role. I am NOT defending him or his actions, BUT, there are probably others for whom performance like this overshadows other issues. Matter of perspective, not necessarily "fair" or right.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                              Unfortunately for those who are of the lynch mob mindset, it needs to be acknowledged that "his" programs have us in the 18th spot in the Capital One Cup standings, arguably a fairly important metric for his role. I am NOT defending him or his actions, BUT, there are probably others for whom performance like this overshadows other issues. Matter of perspective, not necessarily "fair" or right.
                              So I looked at this website and it really doesn't tell you much except that teams are rated, I think, on how they finish in the various leagues they compete in. The fact that UNH is fairly high up in the men's rankings (although far behind Florida State) to me is more a testament to the coaches than the AD. Anyone who even casually observes UNH athletics knows that the different programs accomplish a lot with very little. Hockey is a prime example of this. Now, this is the part of the job where I give Marty props. I don't think he has done anything radically different than his predecessors, but he hasn't screwed things up either. I think, at least up to now, he has let his coaches do their jobs and succeed as best they can within the confines of what they have to work with, both money and talent wise. But what about going forward, has Marty advocated enough for his coaches regarding admissions policies? Some coaches, including McCloskey, would say no. From what I have heard, that is the real reason that Brian was dismissed. Not because he grabbed a kid's jersey and yelled in her face. If that was a transgression, is there a coach at UNH who would be left standing? From my view Brian was dismissed, and defamed as he walked out the door, because he had become a thorn in Marty's side about this stuff. Marty got tired of being challenged and took the first opportunity he saw to get rid of him.

Let me say here that I still view Marty as the best AD UNH has had in the time I have been a UNH fan (I go back to 1970). He, way more than his predecessors, professionalized the way the different programs operate, was able to get UNH beyond the wink and a handshake way that things ran back in the 70's and 80's, and never had hidden agendas such as the one that consumed the former AD/Head basketball coach. I just wish he hadn't allowed his ego to get in the way he dealt with the various constituencies at UNH, most notably the coaches and those who support the various programs.

Comment

I want to apologize to Brian and anyone I ofended with my attempt at humor with my Dennis Rodman post below. I know that there isn't anything humorous about dragging Brian's good reputation through the mud.........I'm sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X