Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    1k dollars per student is pretty steep since at least 90 percent of the students don't even attend a game during their days in Durham. At least you can say the Campus Rec fee, can be used by the students.
    As I've mentioned before, I used to take part in a "Spirit Focus Group" with athletics. I suggested removing hockey from the athletics fee and making it a student season ticket. I felt that students would attend more regularly if they had to open up their own wallets, instead of masking the costs through the athletics fee, and couldn't count on just getting their "free" ticket each week.

Athletics claimed it was a non starter because they needed hockey in the athletics fee to subsidize the rest of the department. Makes one wonder just how bad the financials are for the rest of the department with the fee that high.
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
      As I've mentioned before, I used to take part in a "Spirit Focus Group" with athletics. I suggested removing hockey from the athletics fee and making it a student season ticket. I felt that students would attend more regularly if they had to open up their own wallets, instead of masking the costs through the athletics fee, and couldn't count on just getting their "free" ticket each week.

Athletics claimed it was a non starter because they needed hockey in the athletics fee to subsidize the rest of the department. Makes one wonder just how bad the financials are for the rest of the department with the fee that high.
      No state money can be used for Athletics. State money can only be used for acedemics, which means everything else is on its own even things like dining and housing.

The only way athletics has a budget is from "income": fee, donations, gate (not sure if they get some from concessions) and from NCAA.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        No state money can be used for Athletics. State money can only be used for acedemics, which means everything else is on its own even things like dining and housing.

The only way athletics has a budget is from "income": fee, donations, gate (not sure if they get some from concessions) and from NCAA.
        With the exception of salaries, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          With the exception of salaries, right?
          My understanding is State money can only be used for academics, period, no substitutions, no exceptions, etc. Don't know how they figure it out.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

My understanding is State money can only be used for academics, period, no substitutions, no exceptions, etc. Don't know how they figure it out.
            Here is another TNH article from February 2013 about funding athletics at UNH with student fees. So, if each student pays $1k in fees, how is a $26 million annual athletics budget, including salaries, covered? Hockey ticket sales?

http://www.tnhonline.com/student-sen...7#.U0RumLHD8qQ

Comment

Well you save money by having Scarano destroy and decimate the women's hockey program! Given that the hockey community is as right as it is, do you think the men's team won't be affected when the word gets out on how UNH, in this case Scarano, has abused, bullied and treated the women players'? No parent will trust UNH until someone gets control of what's going on over there!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                Well you save money by having Scarano destroy and decimate the women's hockey program! Given that the hockey community is as right as it is, do you think the men's team won't be affected when the word gets out on how UNH, in this case Scarano, has abused, bullied and treated the women players'? No parent will trust UNH until someone gets control of what's going on over there!
                Let's not forget the potential Title IX implications on the Men's side of the house, IF something does happen with the Women's team. Not saying that impact would be felt in the Men's Hockey program, but you know the drill ... equal opportunity for both genders is the law under Title IX, so if one side takes a hit, then there is some "balancing" that needs to be done. Ask UNH Baseball and a few other abandoned UNH Men's sports programs over the years how it all works out ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Here is another TNH article from February 2013 about funding athletics at UNH with student fees. So, if each student pays $1k in fees, how is a $26 million annual athletics budget, including salaries, covered? Hockey ticket sales?

http://www.tnhonline.com/student-sen...7#.U0RumLHD8qQ
                  You do realize I am referring to only the money from the State.

Note NH is last in per capita funding of public higher education and was last before the last budget had a huge cut. The entire state university system (UNH, Plymouth, Keene, Manchester) was getting $100M FY10-11 and it dropped to $51M in FY12-13. (State budgets are biennium budgets) The drop in system funding hit UNH (Durham) by $32.5M a year over the last two years. Right now (maybe they decided and I missed it) they are wrangling over the FY14-15 budget, system is requesting $100M/yr again, Governor is offering 75M and 90M.

It is this money from the State that can only be used for academics only at least that is what is used to be, I doubt it has changed. Realize the total University Revenue is $538.5M so the money from the state is only 6.6%.

Undergrads are between 12k & 13k. Call it 12k and round the fee to an even $1,000 so about $12M in athletic fee input. The balance of $14M just can't come from the “States” $35.7M (last year). The need to find it in the other $490.8M in University revenue.

All of the above is from public docs on the web... no insider info here.

Comment

You do realize I am referring to only the money from the State.

Note NH is last in per capita funding of public higher education and was last before the last budget had a huge cut. The entire state university system (UNH, Plymouth, Keene, Manchester) was getting $100M FY10-11 and it dropped to $51M in FY12-13. (State budgets are biennium budgets) The drop in system funding hit UNH (Durham) by $32.5M a year over the last two years. Right now (maybe they decided and I missed it) they are wrangling over the FY14-15 budget, system is requesting $100M/yr again, Governor is offering 75M and 90M.

It is this money from the State that can only be used for academics only at least that is what is used to be, I doubt it has changed. Realize the total University Revenue is $538.5M so the money from the state is only 6.6%.

Undergrads are between 12k & 13k. Call it 12k and round the fee to an even $1,000 so about $12M in athletic fee input. The balance of $14M just can't come from the “States” $35.7M (last year). The need to find it in the other $490.8M in University revenue.

All of the above is from public docs on the web... no insider info here.
                    I just rather see Student Fees being used in a more productive matter than supporting an athletic department that doesn't bring in that much money at all. 1k dollars is a lot of money for someone to just give away every year.
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      I just rather see Student Fees being used in a more productive matter than supporting an athletic department that doesn't bring in that much money at all. 1k dollars is a lot of money for someone to just give away every year.
                      But, I think that what JB makes clear is that a slightly larger part of the Athletics annual budget comes from the general fund, hence tuition. So, whether you call it tuition or fees, it still adds up to the same amount. I also do not think that it would be any problem for the accounting office to assure that none of the Athletics annual budget comes from the state, as that $50 to $100 million, whatever, is such a small percentage (around 6 to 7%) that it can be directed elsewhere. And, obviously, state funds cannot cover the Cowell Stadium expansion or the more important Jumbotron for Lake Whitt.

Comment

But, I think that what JB makes clear is that a slightly larger part of the Athletics annual budget comes from the general fund, hence tuition. So, whether you call it tuition or fees, it still adds up to the same amount. I also do not think that it would be any problem for the accounting office to assure that none of the Athletics annual budget comes from the state, as that $50 to $100 million, whatever, is such a small percentage (around 6 to 7%) that it can be directed elsewhere. And, obviously, state funds cannot cover the Cowell Stadium expansion or the more important Jumbotron for Lake Whitt.
                        How many positions in the UNH athletic department were lost when the budget got cut?
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          How many positions in the UNH athletic department were lost when the budget got cut?
                          Dunno, but good question, although UNH cut across the board in the state budget crisis two years ago, so presumably Athletics lost positions.

Comment

Dunno, but good question, although UNH cut across the board in the state budget crisis two years ago, so presumably Athletics lost positions.
                            If "cut" means people involuntarily losing jobs, I don't think it happened. In response to the FY 12-13 severe budget reduction the University instituted a hiring freeze, a salary freeze and a voluntary separation incentive plan. There were reductions everywhere. The Friends helped fill the void for the hockey program.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              If "cut" means people involuntarily losing jobs, I don't think it happened. In response to the FY 12-13 severe budget reduction the University instituted a hiring freeze, a salary freeze and a voluntary separation incentive plan. There were reductions virtually everywhere. The Friends helped fill the void for the hockey program.
                              Oops, yes, I meant voluntary separations with incentives rather than cuts.

Comment

posted at unh.edu 4/9

https://jobs.usnh.edu/applicants/jsp...stingId=158732

Posting Details
                                Posting Number/Job Order #
                                Classification Title:
                                HEAD WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY COACH
                                Operating Title
                                HEAD WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY COACH
                                Department
                                UNH-Athletics
                                Posting Date:
                                (Positions are posted a minimum of 7 days if hourly based and minimum of 10 days if salaried based)
                                04-09-2014
                                Closing Date
                                04-19-2014
                                Posting Open to Internal Candidates Only?
                                No
                                Interested Internal Candidates Exist?
                                No
                                Percent Time Information (FTE)
                                Appointment Type
                                Regular Position with Benefits
                                If TERM position with benefits, indicate projected end date:

If TEMP appointment with benefits, indicate projected end date:

Additional Salary Information:
                                (Salaried/hourly rates are set within the pay range based on each candidate's education and experience, job responsibilities, internal equity, and/or available department funding.)
                                Starting salary commensurate with education and experience.
                                Summary of Position
                                To organize, plan, administer, maintain and direct all aspects of an emphasized intercollegiate sports program, supervise all staff members involved in such a program and create strong public relations and fund raising.
                                Acceptable Minimum Qualifications
                                Bachelor's degree. Five years coaching experience. Participation in sport coached.
                                Additional Desirable Qualifications:
                                Masters degree. Intercollegiate coaching experience.
                                Equipment/Instruments

Additional Job Information:
                                To receive full consideration for this position, in addition to completing the required on-line application form, please be prepared to submit:
                                Resume and cover letter

Optional Documents:
                                Contact Information for three (3) professional references
                                Is this position responsible for the supervision of staff?
                                Yes, this position is responsible for supervision
                                If yes, what kind of staff does this person supervise?
                                Adjunct Hourly Staff
                                Professional, Administrative, and Technical
                                Special Requirements:
                                Background check may be required prior to employment.
                                Safety Information
                                None applicable
                                EEO Statement
                                The University of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. The university seeks excellence through diversity among its administrators, faculty, staff, and students. The university prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged.
                                EEO Information
                                10-Executive/Admin and Managerial
                                Additional Salary Information:
                                Salary is complemented by a generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, retirement, tuition, and paid time off.
                                Duties/ Responsibilities
                                8 Records
                                Ranking Duties/Responsibilities

Coach will implement a strategic vision for the Women's Hockey program that aspires to be a consistent contender in Hockey East and the NCAA tournament. The coach will plan and organize the Women's Hockey program including developing game plans; training and conditioning programs; organizing practice sessions; supervising and monitoring assistant coaches; developing and retaining athletically talented student athletes to compete successfully within the conference, regionally and/or nationally.

Assess talent and nationally recruit student athletes to the Women's Hockey program who are excellent students and athletes. This includes traveling to evaluate players' abilities, phone calls, letter writing, on campus meetings and scholarship recommendations.

Travel with the team, plan for equipment and supplies including uniforms maintenance. Responsible for ensuring that team expenditures do not exceed team budget.

Public relations responsibilities. Attend on/off campus functions to represent the program. Speak at high-schools, clubs, banquets, lecture at summer camps. Actively pursue strong print and electronic media relations.

Develop and maintain strong alumni, parent, and booster support for women's hockey; strategize how to best work with the hockey team's booster organization and assist in implementing said organization, and work with the UNH Athletic Development Office to increase annual contributions and scholarships for the hockey team and the Athletics department.

Pass the NCAA coaches certification test, attend all mandatory NCAA compliance meetings and maintain appropriate forms and documentation in office files to be reviewed upon request. Maintain competency with respect to knowledge of, compliance with, state and federal laws, University policies/regulations, Hockey East Conference rules/policies, and NCAA rules. Report to the Director of Athletics any violation of NCAA, conference, and/or
                                institutional rules.

Coach will represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character. Coach must respect the rights and dignity of each student athlete. Coach also must display sensitivity to diversity issues and shall work to create an inclusive and welcoming environment. Coach will be an ambassador for the institution and UNH Athletics and will build strong relationships with the institutional colleagues and the state's populace and national constituents.

Encourage student-athletes to perform to their fullest academic potential, monitor student athletes' progress toward degree requirements to remain eligible. Monitor the retention eligibility of student-athletes as it impacts the women's hockey Academic Progress Rate (APR) and Graduation Success Rate (GSR).

Comment

Working...
                                X