Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Good question, Mr. Murray.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I would guess the lawyers are minding the store, and Scarano's hands are tied. The program will suffer until the legal claims are resolved.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Simple question for today's consideration ... who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

Flush from the quasi-success of the Men's Hockey team in advancing to the HE Finals in their first March trip to Boston in three seasons, and apparently basking in the afterglow and heavy media attention generated by the Gymnastics team's EAGL title and progress into the NCAA's, our boy BS35 seems to have forgotten there is a Women's Hockey team languishing in turmoil, and veering scarily towards the precipice of total irrelevance and even possible extinction.

Tomorrow will mark the one-month anniversary of the end of the season for the Women's Hockey team. Three months before that, the events which spurred the original creation of this thread unfolded, with the dismissal of long-time Women's Head Hockey Coach (and former Men's Assistant Coach) Brian McCloskey, in an action that raised many as-yet-unanswered questions as to the motives behind the controversial decision to cut ties abruptly with a respected and successful coach who had become a fixture on the UNH campus for the better part of two decades. Today's post is NOT meant to revisit whether that was a good or bad decision - opinions have varied, and for what it's worth, mine remains that it was an absolutely opportunistic move driven by extreme "buyer's remorse" from an AD who had just extended said coach's contract for three more seasons - but to explore the aftermath, and what is being done to repair the undeniable damage which has been visited upon the program. And that brings us back to today's question ...

Who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

BS35 appointed assistant coaches Jamie Wood and Stephanie Jones as "Interim Co-Head Coaches" (isn't that a mouthful?) shortly after the decision to separate from Coach McCloskey. To say both Coach Wood and Coach Jones found themselves thrown into the "deep end" of a challenging situation would be an understatement. Coach Wood played for and captained Middlebury back in the early '90's, then graduated with a law degree from University of New Brunswick in 1999 before embarking on a coaching career that took him from UNB to Elmira College, and finally to a successful stint as an assistant with the University of Minnesota before coming to UNH in 2010, while Coach Jones starred as a captain and leading goal scorer with the 'Cats in the early part of the last decade, before coming back to UNH as an assistant to Coach McCloskey a year later after spending her first post-grad season as an assistant with Colgate.

Not surprisingly, despite everyone's best efforts and intentions, the 'Cats struggled post-McCloskey. Hovering just under .500 at the time of McCloskey's dismissal, the 'Cats forged a very credible 3-3-0 record in the immediate aftermath of the change in leadership, but then the roof caved in, as UNH finished the season in the midst of an 11 game losing streak, while the distractions in the aftermath of the controversial decision to part ways with the previous head coach mounted. It is not unreasonable to conclude that with some sharp divisions of opinion in the locker room over the decision to part ways with Coach McCloskey, and whether all voices were truly heard as part of the University's "investigation", those divisions ultimately proved to be the undoing of this year's team.

With the "interim" tags still attached to their titles, Coaches Wood and Jones face the future (long-term or otherwise) with questions, and precious few answers. There have been no statements of outward or even implied support from Athletic Department leadership (perhaps an oxymoron there?), and so two promising young assistants who encountered a series of obstacles not of their own making, wait without assurances to learn of decisions as to their fates with the UNH program ... figuratively twisting in the wind.

Again ... just who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

And while the situation with the coaching staff remains muddled and undetermined, word has reached me over the last 24 hours from multiple sources that no less than a half-dozen returning Women's Hockey scholar-athletes have asked for - and apparently have been granted - releases from the program in the last 30 days, free to seek out "better" options and greener pastures elsewhere. Reports of players having repeatedly asked for meetings with the AD's office, and even the President's office - and basically being ignored - have forced them to re-assess their futures, rather than just wait around to see what people they don't trust OR have any faith in eventually get around to doing with the program. And who can reasonably blame them after the events of the last few months?

Again ... exactly WHO is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

There are currently 21 players listed on the UNH Women's Hockey roster, but the fact of the matter is that by the time the season was winding down, that number was effectively down to about 15 players, due to injuries and assorted "other" reasons, which in fairness to the co-interim coaches, was apparently well underway before the events of the Ohio State weekend. Three of those players graduate in a couple months, and hve obviously played their last games for UNH. With half of next year's returning team now in limbo, exploring their options elsewhere as a simple equation of being frustrated at continuously being ignored, and with reports of potential incoming players now rethinking their commitments ... the cupboard for UNH Women's Hockey is looking decidedly bare. Frighteningly bare even.

BS35 announced not so long ago how proud he was that UNH had landed the plum award of the 2016 Women's Frozen Four, to be hosted at the Whittemore Center for the 3rd time in its history. It's a great privilege, and the idea of a UNH Women's team competing in such an event as the host team would seemingly be a great potential recruiting point. Except we don't know yet who will be recruiting the players ... or if committed players currently on the team OR coming to the team will be here come September ... or daresay whether the program will even have enough players for the 2014/2015 season, putting the whole "host" status for the 2016 FF in jeopardy??????

Begging the question ... who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

The silence from BS35's perpetually sunny, what-me-worry corner of the UNH universe is deafening ...
        Again I ask this, has the job even been posted?
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          Again I ask this, has the job even been posted?
          Friend of mine with knowledge of women's hockey in general says that UNH is in the process of looking for a new coach. If that is true, perhaps they are searching around for a couple of solid candidates who would agree to interviews before the job is posted. In other words, select the leading candidates in advance, then go through the motions of positng the job. Isn't this the way the real world works?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            I would guess the lawyers are minding the store, and Scarano's hands are tied.
            That's reassuring ... Atty. Miles Proctor IV of Dewey Cheatham & Howe, de facto head coach of your UNH Wildcats. Will he be billing us (i.e. the taxpayers) at full rate for his recruiting trips, practice time AND game time behind the bench, perchance?

Not good enough, sorry. Decisions are needed ASAP, or else there will be a glorified Women's club hockey team taking to the ice in September. BS35 supposedly made the big-boy decision 4 months ago (let's not forget, he's been in college sports administration for those 35 LONG years after all), so now it is time for him to deal with the fallout. It's his job, so here's an idea ... why not DO the job, instead of hiding behind the lawyers??

It's not like the forseeable future of the program is hanging in the balance ... oh, wait ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Yes it was AD Scarano's, ultimately perhaps even President Huddleston's decision, but most likely a decision made or heavily influenced by HR/legal staff which is why you have people expert in their fields on staff. This thing is a quagmire. UNH is doing the right thing keeping quiet. It doesn't mean they are not doing anything, just that they are not publicizing it. AD Scarano is as aware as anyone that it would be better to have this resolved with a coach in place.
              Last edited by Darius; 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Recently speaking to former Governor John Lynch (a current Board of Trustees member, fraternity brother and personal friend). He admittedly still does not know all the facts in the McCloskey fiasco... Has assumed, or perhaps heard, that the coach was fired for an accumulation of previous incidents but, was very surprised to learn that McCloskey had recently signed a new 3 year contract. Lynch agreed that any issues would/should have been addressed at that juncture. Apparently the Scarano blackout, silence, mis- information extends all the way to the Board of Trustees. Governor Lynch was quick to agree that the mishandling of this incident has left a black mark on the University.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Yes it was AD Scarano's, ultimately perhaps even President Huddleston's decision, but most likely a decision made or heavily influenced by HR/legal staff which is why you have people expert in their fields on staff. This thing is a quagmire. UNH is doing the right thing keeping quiet. It doesn't mean they are not doing anything, just that they are not publicizing it. AD Scarano is as aware as anyone that it would be better to have this resolved with a coach in place.
                  Jeez, do you think just *maybe* they'd want to let the returning players know what the "ultra double secret" plan might be? Or even the "interim co-head coaches" for that matter, as they've been hung out to dry??

Lots of people right now are in a tough spot - whether it's student-athletes, their coaches and beyond - and are basically "collateral damage" to the decisions made after the Ohio State weekend, and the events that have followed.

There was a LOT of lip service coming from BS35 in the aftermath of the decision to fire Coach McCloskey about doing things "in the best interests of the student-athletes". How is he accomplishing this lofty aim now, exactly???

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Jeez, do you think just *maybe* they'd want to let the returning players know what the "ultra double secret" plan might be? Or even the "interim co-head coaches" for that matter, as they've been hung out to dry??

Lots of people right now are in a tough spot - whether it's student-athletes, their coaches and beyond - and are basically "collateral damage" to the decisions made after the Ohio State weekend, and the events that have followed.

There was a LOT of lip service coming from BS35 in the aftermath of the decision to fire Coach McCloskey about doing things "in the best interests of the student-athletes". How is he accomplishing this lofty aim now, exactly???
                    I think they do, but can't/have been advised they should not. Any insider knowledge or confidential information shared with students and staff so far has directly or indirectly become public knowledge through reporters and on line discussion boards.

Comment

Darius, I don't care any more about the legal aspect or what's public or private...an historic program is going down the tubes because of sheer stupidity in the actions of those in power to be PC....enough of this yapping...for UNH to keep silent thru the dismantling of one of its only programs to have one a NC,(yes National because of the schools with teams at the time), is disgraceful!! If UNH thought it was doing poorly with only 1% Alumni donations, lets see what happens after they are ridiculed for sitting, watching and ignoring losing this team!!! Someone please help and do something to save our program!!!

Comment

Because they're not "student athletes," they are the central "witnesses" to a potential million dollar lawsuit. If I was legal counsel I would want to make sure that my client is not engaging in communications that might be deemed witness tampering.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

zoofer, I agree with you, Chuck and many others. The situation has sucked since it began for the team and everyone associated with it including the larger UNH community. It likely could/should have been handled differently. I say "likely" only because I don't and will never know all the facts. I was just providing an explanation for why the U is quiet on the subject right now. I seriously doubt that senior University officials had a meeting that began with "OK, given the poor situation we are in, what can we do to further screw the Women's hockey program".

Comment

To Darius and 'Watcher:

I totally understand the potential ramifications UNH faces via civil litigation, I really do. I deal with those realities on a daily basis in my "day job". Lawyers would rather set themselves on fire than allow a client(s) to make public statements that can be used against them in a court of law. But at some point, doesn't an AD have an obligation to run his/her program, and not just fall back on refusing comment because someone in the legal department won't "let" them talk? In short - is the program bigger than a pesky lawsuit??

Isn't BS35 supposedly trying to get a new football stadium built? Does he expect that place to build itself?? Likewise, does he expect Women's Hockey to heal itself from the damage his short-sighted, rash actions to dismiss Coach McCloskey have now led to? Or does he let the stadium (or the team) go down in flames because he's restricted by some self-serving "gag order" that prevents him from talking to the media, or other folks who might dare portray him in an unflattering light?

As far as "insider information" goes ... for better or for worse. we live now in a world where information has never been more accessible. Which probably at best renders about the first 25 years of BS35's vaunted experience somewhat limited, and at worse classifies him as an outdated fossil (and please understand - I probably fit neatly into that category as well). Maybe "way back" when he was just a pup starting out in the AD's office at Happy Valley PA, you could more easily control info going to the outside world. Guess what?? Those days are gone, and probably for good (AND for the best).

I can personally vouch for the fact that much of the information that comes across my laptop arises from some very frustrated people who are MOST frustrated because they feel their voices are not being heard. Their concerns are coming out in the media, regardless of what the AD's office or the Legal Department may be wishing. So the whole concept that information flow can somehow be "controlled" is an increasingly naive one, borne out of a past era.

I always thought AD stood for Athletics Director ... NOT Athletics Delegator. But so long as BS35 delegates his responsibilities to the folks down the hall in the Legal Office, that's what we've got nowadays in Durham. JMHO.
                            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 03-27-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I always thought AD stood for Athletics Director ... NOT Athletics Delegator. But so long as BS35 delegates his responsibilities to the folks down the hall in the Legal Office, that's what we've got nowadays in Durham. JMHO.
                              Chuck, it is obvious he is no longer in control of the situation. It has been taken to higher level where he has input but not the final say. Until the legal claims are settled, the AD's authority, at least in the women's hockey area if not the entire department, has been diminished or eliminated.

Comment

Okay Greg lets assume ur right, because I totally agree seeing a new face at the podium at the last embarrassing news conference for UNH Athletics! But then where is the President, or the Trustees? It's there job to protect the University and it image....helluva job so far! The silence from Durham says they don't care about this team, plain and simple...it goes along with their actions when the Admin refused to meet with the players upon their request!! Maybe if the players saw that they could trust someone there they might not look for their release....
                                Lets go one step further...what if Dick wasn't PC for one moment after 2 decades, would the Durham and UNH be as silent then? Would there be no press putting pressure on the Admin and not taking no comment for their answer?
                                Anyone who loves UNH should be aghast at what the F is going on....especially hockey enthusiasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X