PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Greg Ambrose
05-06-2014, 12:02 PM
**** straight! Having a jumbotron at the Whitt will make UNH a perennial powerhouse!! :eek: :eek: :p ;) :D

The thing is that when the Whit was being built (going on 20 years now) we were told that the ceiling structure was installed to support a large center ice scoreboard. When the Whit opened, the first year they used the old end zone scoreboards from Snively, with the promise that within a few years we would have a "state of the art" center ice scoreboard. What we got instead was the budget model, funded in part by Tyco and Dennis Kozlowski whose spending priorities we all know about. Again we were told an upgrade was just a matter of time. So here we are 15 years later and what does the Whit have - a center ice scoreboard that was state of the art 35 years ago and an end zone message board that shows basically nothing. Once Marty gets his new football stadium and new study hall for the jocks, maybe he will have time to address this matter. Not holding my breath but for a hockey fan like myself the school making good on a promise that was made two decades ago is the least that he can do at this point.

Scott
05-06-2014, 12:15 PM
The thing is that when the Whit was being built (going on 20 years now) we were told that the ceiling structure was installed to support a large center ice scoreboard. When the Whit opened, the first year they used the old end zone scoreboards from Snively, with the promise that within a few years we would have a "state of the art" center ice scoreboard. What we got instead was the budget model, funded in part by Tyco and Dennis Kozlowski whose spending priorities we all know about. Again we were told an upgrade was just a matter of time. So here we are 15 years later and what does the Whit have - a center ice scoreboard that was state of the art 35 years ago and an end zone message board that shows basically nothing. Once Marty gets his new football stadium and new study hall for the jocks, maybe he will have time to address this matter. Not holding my breath but for a hockey fan like myself the school making good on a promise that was made two decades ago is the least that he can do at this point.

I do agree Greg...considering that hockey is the only sport at UNH that has a created a somewhat decent revenue stream over the last fifteen years or so.

Chuck Murray
05-06-2014, 06:09 PM
I have an idea. Let's get the program back to competing at the top level of D-1 hockey, bring back the thousands of fans now disguised as empty seats ... and THEN let's kvetch over (admittedly) broken promises about a frickin' scoreboard.

zoofer
05-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Maybe if we get the jumbotron Chuck, we can put a story board together that Huddleston and the Trustees can't miss to see!! The story being how to dissolve once proud hockey programs, by Marty Scarano....they obviously can't see squat now!

Snively65
05-06-2014, 09:40 PM
First AD in USCHO Fan Forum history to have a thread that has generated over 700 posts. Nice going, BS35.

Chuck Murray
05-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Maybe if we get the jumbotron Chuck, we can put a story board together that Huddleston and the Trustees can't miss to see!! The story being how to dissolve once proud hockey programs, by Marty Scarano....they obviously can't see squat now!

You seem to be making at least two major assumptions in this post, zoofer ...

* Huddleston and/or the Board of Trustees actually go to The Whitt to see UNH Hockey
* BS35 would even allow such a "storyboard" onto the jumbotron ... don't forget, this is the same micromanaging control freak who has eradicated "Black Betty" from the in-game songbook AND also eradicated the *colorful* welcome chant that the fans used to direct at the opposing team during opening intros

I would LOVE to see some creative student put together a "storyboard" with the current stick-figures scoreboard down at the end that conveys the same basic message, though. Just put little "horns" on the BS35 stick figure, and we'll all get the message. :D :p

Greg Ambrose
05-07-2014, 09:15 AM
I have an idea. Let's get the program back to competing at the top level of D-1 hockey, bring back the thousands of fans now disguised as empty seats ... and THEN let's kvetch over (admittedly) broken promises about a frickin' scoreboard.

Chuck, I am not saying that the installation of a jumbotron or its like would all of a sudden make UNH a great team. However, I think you would agree that when the Whit was in the planning stages and then opened, it was a major draw in attracting a better group of players. The problem is that schools that should be our competition have blown by us in terms of recruited talent. And part of the reason is that our facility does not stack up with BU, BC, and probably UML. And never mind palaces like the Kohl Center and Mariucci. The Whit looks like a tired facility without the amenities that other schools have. UNH had to decide whether we just tread water as we have in recent years or make a push to compete. It is obvious to me that Marty has made his decision. King Football has won, despite the fact there is no evidence that there is going to be a significant monetary payback for the money they are raising and will spend. We've gone through this debate earlier in this thread but my opinion has not wavered. UNH will never make money in football, ever. To pursue high level 1AA football is delusional on two major fronts - that the fan base is large enough to fill Cowell game after game and, given the up front expenses, that there will ever be enough revenue to turn a profit. If it's not happening at Delaware and Montana why should anybody think that it will happen in New Hampshire.

Chuck Murray
05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Greg, I think we agree on most of the issues you mentioned. Has UNH made a decision to push investment in upgrading football right now? Apparently yes. And to be honest, I don't really have an issue with that. If we agree that perhaps a generation out, the hockey facilities at The Whitt are not quite "state of the art" ... well, the football facilities are downright prehistoric. I'd say the same about hoops, but as we've discussed before, hoops is using Lundholm only because they can't sell enough to justify playing across the street at The Whitt. So I'm having a really hard time getting worked up about UNH investing in the football program.

I'm not disputing your financial arguments either ... but your thought process points you in a direction that either you let UNH Football languish in a horribly outdated sub-HS facility OR you pull the plug like BU and Northeastern and discontinue that program.

Let's face it ... the proposed new UNH West Stadium plans are relatively modest, and allows the school to build a suitable stadium on the present site. It's not all that unlike the decision UNH made to invest in The Whitt 20-ish years ago. And let's face it, for the first time in quite awhile, the Football team is producing consistently better results than Hockey. So it's their turn, and if BS35 can reach his fundraising goals, then good for him, good for Coach McDonnell (his program has been on a 10 year run to get THIS far, he deserves it), and good for UNH. And if it leads to the growth of that program, I don't see that being a bad thing. A rising tide lifts all boats. :)

And once West Stadium (Phase One) is done, maybe it will be Hockey's turn again?

Like I said earlier ... just start winning and competing near the top of D-1 again, and everything else falls into place. Otherwise, it sounds like we're a bunch of spoilt children whining about not getting the latest smartphone upgrade from Mummy and Daddy. JMHO.

wildcatdc
05-07-2014, 04:12 PM
You seem to be making at least two major assumptions in this post, zoofer ...

* Huddleston and/or the Board of Trustees actually go to The Whitt to see UNH Hockey
* BS35 would even allow such a "storyboard" onto the jumbotron ... don't forget, this is the same micromanaging control freak who has eradicated "Black Betty" from the in-game songbook AND also eradicated the *colorful* welcome chant that the fans used to direct at the opposing team during opening intros

I would LOVE to see some creative student put together a "storyboard" with the current stick-figures scoreboard down at the end that conveys the same basic message, though. Just put little "horns" on the BS35 stick figure, and we'll all get the message. :D :p

I can assure you that the president, trustees, deans, etc., attend the games. And enjoy them. And support the program.

Looking forward to the storyboard.

Darius
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Upgrading the stadium will allow UNH to host NH high school games, exposing high school kids and their families to the U, which is good for student athlete and student non-athlete (high school football fans) recruitment. It will also allow for televised and night (put 'em together and you have televised night) games, exposing the U to a much larger recruiting base. UNH will be joining Delaware, Richmond, James Madison etc. on Comcast SportsNet broadcasts which are a decent(?) revenue source.

UNH is definitely ramping up the marketing. There are nice advertisements for the U on fairly main stream TV programs. I think they are running one during WMUR's 6:00 PM news casts.

wildcatdc
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Upgrading the stadium will allow UNH to host NH high school games, exposing high school kids and their families to the U, which is good for student athlete and student non-athlete (high school football fans) recruitment. It will also allow for televised and night (put 'em together and you have televised night) games, exposing the U to a much larger recruiting base. UNH will be joining Delaware, Richmond, James Madison etc. on Comcast SportsNet broadcasts which are a decent(?) revenue source.

UNH is definitely ramping up the marketing. There are nice advertisements for the U on fairly main stream TV programs. I think they are running one during WMUR's 6:00 PM news casts.

Ramping up the marketing, and having some pretty solid success, with the non-athlete population. Focused heavily on the Pennsylvania/NY/NJ area, trying to draw top students to the big anchor schools (PTP, CEPS, Comms, among others).

Connected thru JFK on a trip back from Brazil a couple months ago and saw a nice UNH ad in the terminal.

The "weasel" referred to earlier has more passion about making this a highly-respected University than any other faculty member or administrator I've ever seen in my connection with UNH.

But keep hammerin' away at him, folks.

wildcatdc
05-07-2014, 08:39 PM
By the way, Darius, in case it was missed in my crabbiness, I actually applaud your post. spot on.

wildcatdc
05-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Greg, I think we agree on most of the issues you mentioned. Has UNH made a decision to push investment in upgrading football right now? Apparently yes. And to be honest, I don't really have an issue with that. If we agree that perhaps a generation out, the hockey facilities at The Whitt are not quite "state of the art" ... well, the football facilities are downright prehistoric. I'd say the same about hoops, but as we've discussed before, hoops is using Lundholm only because they can't sell enough to justify playing across the street at The Whitt. So I'm having a really hard time getting worked up about UNH investing in the football program.

I'm not disputing your financial arguments either ... but your thought process points you in a direction that either you let UNH Football languish in a horribly outdated sub-HS facility OR you pull the plug like BU and Northeastern and discontinue that program.

Let's face it ... the proposed new UNH West Stadium plans are relatively modest, and allows the school to build a suitable stadium on the present site. It's not all that unlike the decision UNH made to invest in The Whitt 20-ish years ago. And let's face it, for the first time in quite awhile, the Football team is producing consistently better results than Hockey. So it's their turn, and if BS35 can reach his fundraising goals, then good for him, good for Coach McDonnell (his program has been on a 10 year run to get THIS far, he deserves it), and good for UNH. And if it leads to the growth of that program, I don't see that being a bad thing. A rising tide lifts all boats. :)

And once West Stadium (Phase One) is done, maybe it will be Hockey's turn again?

Like I said earlier ... just start winning and competing near the top of D-1 again, and everything else falls into place. Otherwise, it sounds like we're a bunch of spoilt children whining about not getting the latest smartphone upgrade from Mummy and Daddy. JMHO.

This. Really nice post, Chuck.

scoreboard
05-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Ramping up the marketing, and having some pretty solid success, with the non-athlete population. Focused heavily on the Pennsylvania/NY/NJ area, trying to draw top students to the big anchor schools (PTP, CEPS, Comms, among others).

Connected thru JFK on a trip back from Brazil a couple months ago and saw a nice UNH ad in the terminal.

The "weasel" referred to earlier has more passion about making this a highly-respected University than any other faculty member or administrator I've ever seen in my connection with UNH.

But keep hammerin' away at him, folks.

An ad at JFK and ads on WMUR. That's the key to success. I live 10 miles from JFK and I focus on the plane I am catching. I doubt anybody chooses a college based on an airport ad. As far as WMUR goes, the few people that watch that station already know UNH exists.

HockeyRef
05-08-2014, 05:26 AM
On another note am planning on going to the alum gig tonight in Wolfeboro; looking forward to hearing the plans etc. Hubby can't go tho so I'm not quite an alum. Does having 2 kids go through the U and me being a PSC grad count? :p Hoping it doesn't cut into my Bruins time tho...figured I paid the money AND gave a modest donation so may as well! ;)

wildcatdc
05-08-2014, 06:24 AM
An ad at JFK and ads on WMUR. That's the key to success. I live 10 miles from JFK and I focus on the plane I am catching. I doubt anybody chooses a college based on an airport ad. As far as WMUR goes, the few people that watch that station already know UNH exists.

It's about brand recognition, not about decision-making. Marketing 101. (Well, that would be 401 at UNH, but all the same).

And if you don't think that things like page views, consumer "impressions" (like airport billboards), etc., matter, than I guess you probably have the keys to restructuring the $495B global marketing industry.

Snively65
05-08-2014, 07:10 AM
It's about brand recognition, not about decision-making. Marketing 101. (Well, that would be 401 at UNH, but all the same).

And if you don't think that things like page views, consumer "impressions" (like airport billboards), etc., matter, than I guess you probably have the keys to restructuring the $495B global marketing industry.

I agree entirely. This is what the new NH logo was all about, too, right?

wildcatdc
05-08-2014, 07:36 AM
I agree entirely. This is what the new NH logo was all about, too, right?

You're hilarious. Would you like to sit down one day and discuss the accomplishments of the "weasel", Snively? You really want to go there? There's a reason why he blew right through the idiotic "vote of no confidence (where less than 50% voted, and **** near 40% of those that voted voted in confidence) and has gone on to be the longest-serving Prez since McConnell himself.

If you don't think he had a right to call out some of the privileged, tenured class, I have a dozen stories that will set you straight, right quick. Transformational change requires transformational leaders that are willing to challenge the comfortable status quo - that's what he's done, and what he continues to do. At this point, I only hope he doesn't get snapped up by another school.

Keep looking a gift horse in the mouth, guys. I have been the FIRST to acknowledge the admin's shortcomings (just read back down the thread, please). And I am NOT a MS fan in the least. BUT, c'mon, if you claim that you haven't seen the tremendous progress during Hudd's tenure, then you're being intellectually dishonest in the worst way. Your arguments lose all credibility, especially when you call the guy a "weasel" - anybody who knows his passion for UNH would be confused and disgusted by the comment.

I have a great deal of respect for all of my fellow 'Cat posters, and learn a ton from each of you... but this hammering of Hudd is a joke. Misplaced frustration.

Chuck Murray
05-08-2014, 08:09 AM
I have a great deal of respect for all of my fellow 'Cat posters, and learn a ton from each of you... but this hammering of Hudd is a joke. Misplaced frustration.

OK I have a better idea then. Let's refocus and ask why UNH hasn't taken care of Coach McCloskey's ham-handed and libelous dismissal despite having had more than five (5) months to get that all sorted out?

First person who says "it's in the lawyers' hands" is disqualified from further participation in the discussion. :)

wildcatdc
05-08-2014, 08:36 AM
OK I have a better idea then. Let's refocus and ask why UNH hasn't taken care of Coach McCloskey's ham-handed and libelous dismissal despite having had more than five (5) months to get that all sorted out?

First person who says "it's in the lawyers' hands" is disqualified from further participation in the discussion. :)

Ham-handed? WITHOUT QUESTION - HORRENDOUS WORDING, AT A MINIMUM

Libelous? Chuck, really?? We're going in circles, my friend. We DO NOT KNOW if it was libelous. May never know.

And now, based on your rules above, I'm issuing myself a game misconduct, because it IS in the lawyer's hands. :)