UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
    As with money some people place higher value on things other than winning.
    Well, I have spent thousands on season tickets. I've had season tickets to the Varsity Club for multiple years. I like to think that I'm spending my money with some return benefit. Your comment is beyond comprehension. No wonder you were dismissed on the Lowell thread.
    Last edited by scoreboard; 03-23-2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by Dropkicknh View Post
      My friends father has worked at the university for somewhere around 30 years and knows a lot of what does and does not go on there. As he has explained before there will be no bridge over the tracks because Amtrak would have to allow it and the price is too steep. I believe there is the same issue with tunneling under, except that issue is power companies I believe.
      UNH has plans to have an access road run behind the Whitt and go under the RR tracks. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon because I believe it has been a part of the campus master plan for 10+ years now but it's still on the agenda since the recent campus master plan release in 2012. And I don't know if it would help pedestrians walking from A lot to the Whitt all that much since it is still a far walk but if they could have a road go under the tracks maybe a pedestrian tunnel closer to the Whitt is possible.

http://www.unh.edu/cmp/pdf/unh%20cam...ive%20plan.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
        UNH has plans to have an access road run behind the Whitt and go under the RR tracks. I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon because I believe it has been a part of the campus master plan for 10+ years now but it's still on the agenda since the recent campus master plan release in 2012. And I don't know if it would help pedestrians walking from A lot to the Whitt all that much since it is still a far walk but if they could have a road go under the tracks maybe a pedestrian tunnel closer to the Whitt is possible.

Never, ever, happen. Mainline rail route of Pan Am and Amtrak. No way any kind of interruption to their service would be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
          Never, ever, happen. Mainline rail route of Pan Am and Amtrak. No way any kind of interruption to their service would be allowed.
          Well it already has happened. In maybe 2005 or 2006 they had South drive go under the RR tracks.......
          What you don't think construction happens around RR tracks?

Comment

Was just reading on the Berenson thread that although his Wolverines missed the NCAAs for the second time in the past 15+(?) years this season, he is coming back for another year, despite being almost 75 yo and hinting that he was going to retire after last year. Of course, he has two rings from 1996 and 1998, and came really close to a third in 2011. So, maybe Maybe is thinking that he can still do it, being a decade younger than Berenson.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
              Well, I have spent thousands on season tickets. I've had season tickets to the Varsity Club for multiple years. I like to think that I'm spending my money with some return benefit. Your comment is beyond comprehension. No wonder you were dismissed on the Lowell thread.
              I read a quote once, can't recall it exactly, something about good money after bad. Hang on, wait right here, I'll Google it and post it for you. Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back...
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Was just reading on the Berenson thread that although his Wolverines missed the NCAAs for the second time in the past 15+(?) years this season, he is coming back for another year, despite being almost 75 yo and hinting that he was going to retire after last year. Of course, he has two rings from 1996 and 1998, and came really close to a third in 2011. So, maybe Maybe is thinking that he can still do it, being a decade younger than Berenson.
                One significant difference is the relative ease of getting thoroughbreds into his program.
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                  One significant difference is the relative ease of getting thoroughbreds into his program.
                  Having USA Hockey's National Team Development Program 3 miles down the road from the University of Michigan helps.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post

If nothing else, it would reduce the foot traffic coming over the existing Main St. bridge. Not knowing or seeing any specific plans, I'd also welcome seeing them open up the "other" side of The Whitt, which such a project would likely need to do to work.

As long as the project goes under the tracks, I don't see any RR service interruptions, but I do know RR right of way issues are fraught with tons of red tape, so that's probably a big reason this hasn't already happened yet. Hux - any insight on that?
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      UNH will be as talented as they have been in a LONG time next year. The Wildcats will bring in FOUR freshman forwards who could easily reach 100+ career points, in Poturalski, McNicholas, Foegele & Eiserman. When was the last time UNH (which was always known for this type of class or close to it...) brought in that much firepower??? Along with Downing, a hopefully stronger Kelleher and the emergence of Willows and the offense should be very skilled and headed in the right direction for the first time in a long time. The problem is they'll be VERY young, so it may take a year...

The defense probably won't be as talented as the corp of the last few years - and will also be very young - but for the first time in a long time the majority of the UNH roster will be legit top-end DI talent. At the very least, the rebuilding can truly begin to take place.

With recruiting whiffs & sanctions - much more so than a 'dilapidated Whitt' - UNH was behind the 8-ball for a while with very few true top-line forwards. They had to get through it and I think they have. I'd say the last few years of Umile & Staff may have been some of their worst recruiting work, but some of their best coaching...

McNicholas - Downing - Willows
                      Eiserman - Poturalski - Kelleher
                      Foegele - Smith - Correale
                      Thrush - Camper - Gaudreault

Pesce - vanReimsdyk/Agosta
                      Cleland - Marks
                      Maller - Chanter

DeSmith
                      Clark

* I'll hold out hope TVR is back until I hear otherwise. If he's back - Agosta is likely gone. I think Foegele coming in early, and eating a scholly, likely means ONLY one (if either) defenseman will come back.
                      Last edited by Dan; 03-24-2014, 02:24 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        If nothing else, it would reduce the foot traffic coming over the existing Main St. bridge. Not knowing or seeing any specific plans, I'd also welcome seeing them open up the "other" side of The Whitt, which such a project would likely need to do to work.
                        Ya I agree even if it's the same distance walking it would still be faster walking through the tunnel because there would be no bottleneck at the stairs. It's like cattle being herded going up and down those stairs. And I also always wondered why they never had the other end of the Whitt be another entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

As long as the project goes under the tracks, I don't see any RR service interruptions, but I do know RR right of way issues are fraught with tons of red tape, so that's probably a big reason this hasn't already happened yet. Hux - any insight on that?
                          Just call Dig Safe; what could possibly go wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            UNH will be as talented as they have been in a LONG time next year. The Wildcats will bring in FOUR freshman forwards who could easily reach 100+ career points, in Poturalski, McNicholas, Foegele & Eiserman. When was the last time UNH (which was always known for this type of class or close to it...) brought in that much firepower??? Along with Downing, a hopefully stronger Kelleher and the emergence of Willows and the offense should be very skilled and headed in the right direction for the first time in a long time. The problem is they'll be VERY young, so it may take a year...

The defense probably won't be as talented as the corp of the last few years - and will also be very young - but for the first time in a long time the majority of the UNH roster will be legit top-end DI talent. At the very least, the rebuilding can truly begin to take place.

With recruiting whiffs & sanctions - much more so than a 'dilapidated Whitt' - UNH was behind the 8-ball for a while with very few true top-line forwards. They had to get through it and I think they have. I'd say the last few years of Umile & Staff may have been some of their worst recruiting work, but some of their best coaching...

McNicholas - Downing - Willows
                            Eiserman - Poturalski - Kelleher
                            Foegele - Smith - Correale
                            Thrush - Camper - Gaudreault

Pesce - vanReimsdyk/Agosta
                            Cleland - Marks
                            Maller - Chanter

DeSmith
                            Clark

* I'll hold out hope TVR is back until I hear otherwise. If he's back - Agosta is likely gone. I think Foegele coming in early, and eating a scholly, likely means ONLY one (if either) defenseman will come back.
                            Awesome post!!! Time will tell but man if this sticks it looks very exciting for our 'Cats! Interesting point about the past years recruiting and coaching; I do think you are onto something here..
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Just call Dig Safe; what could possibly go wrong?
                              Right up there with "I'm from OSHA, and I'm here to help." Gotta love multi-layering of ineffective bureaucracy.

Comment

Simple question for today's consideration ... who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

Flush from the quasi-success of the Men's Hockey team in advancing to the HE Finals in their first March trip to Boston in three seasons, and apparently basking in the afterglow and heavy media attention generated by the Gymnastics team's EAGL title and progress into the NCAA's, our boy BS35 seems to have forgotten there is a Women's Hockey team languishing in turmoil, and veering scarily towards the precipice of total irrelevance and even possible extinction.

Tomorrow will mark the one-month anniversary of the end of the season for the Women's Hockey team. Three months before that, the events which spurred the original creation of this thread unfolded, with the dismissal of long-time Women's Head Hockey Coach (and former Men's Assistant Coach) Brian McCloskey, in an action that raised many as-yet-unanswered questions as to the motives behind the controversial decision to cut ties abruptly with a respected and successful coach who had become a fixture on the UNH campus for the better part of two decades. Today's post is NOT meant to revisit whether that was a good or bad decision - opinions have varied, and for what it's worth, mine remains that it was an absolutely opportunistic move driven by extreme "buyer's remorse" from an AD who had just extended said coach's contract for three more seasons - but to explore the aftermath, and what is being done to repair the undeniable damage which has been visited upon the program. And that brings us back to today's question ...

Who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

BS35 appointed assistant coaches Jamie Wood and Stephanie Jones as "Interim Co-Head Coaches" (isn't that a mouthful?) shortly after the decision to separate from Coach McCloskey. To say both Coach Wood and Coach Jones found themselves thrown into the "deep end" of a challenging situation would be an understatement. Coach Wood played for and captained Middlebury back in the early '90's, then graduated with a law degree from University of New Brunswick in 1999 before embarking on a coaching career that took him from UNB to Elmira College, and finally to a successful stint as an assistant with the University of Minnesota before coming to UNH in 2010, while Coach Jones starred as a captain and leading goal scorer with the 'Cats in the early part of the last decade, before coming back to UNH as an assistant to Coach McCloskey a year later after spending her first post-grad season as an assistant with Colgate.

Not surprisingly, despite everyone's best efforts and intentions, the 'Cats struggled post-McCloskey. Hovering just under .500 at the time of McCloskey's dismissal, the 'Cats forged a very credible 3-3-0 record in the immediate aftermath of the change in leadership, but then the roof caved in, as UNH finished the season in the midst of an 11 game losing streak, while the distractions in the aftermath of the controversial decision to part ways with the previous head coach mounted. It is not unreasonable to conclude that with some sharp divisions of opinion in the locker room over the decision to part ways with Coach McCloskey, and whether all voices were truly heard as part of the University's "investigation", those divisions ultimately proved to be the undoing of this year's team.

With the "interim" tags still attached to their titles, Coaches Wood and Jones face the future (long-term or otherwise) with questions, and precious few answers. There have been no statements of outward or even implied support from Athletic Department leadership (perhaps an oxymoron there?), and so two promising young assistants who encountered a series of obstacles not of their own making, wait without assurances to learn of decisions as to their fates with the UNH program ... figuratively twisting in the wind.

Again ... just who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

And while the situation with the coaching staff remains muddled and undetermined, word has reached me over the last 24 hours from multiple sources that no less than a half-dozen returning Women's Hockey scholar-athletes have asked for - and apparently have been granted - releases from the program in the last 30 days, free to seek out "better" options and greener pastures elsewhere. Reports of players having repeatedly asked for meetings with the AD's office, and even the President's office - and basically being ignored - have forced them to re-assess their futures, rather than just wait around to see what people they don't trust OR have any faith in eventually get around to doing with the program. And who can reasonably blame them after the events of the last few months?

Again ... exactly WHO is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

There are currently 21 players listed on the UNH Women's Hockey roster, but the fact of the matter is that by the time the season was winding down, that number was effectively down to about 15 players, due to injuries and assorted "other" reasons, which in fairness to the co-interim coaches, was apparently well underway before the events of the Ohio State weekend. Three of those players graduate in a couple months, and hve obviously played their last games for UNH. With half of next year's returning team now in limbo, exploring their options elsewhere as a simple equation of being frustrated at continuously being ignored, and with reports of potential incoming players now rethinking their commitments ... the cupboard for UNH Women's Hockey is looking decidedly bare. Frighteningly bare even.

BS35 announced not so long ago how proud he was that UNH had landed the plum award of the 2016 Women's Frozen Four, to be hosted at the Whittemore Center for the 3rd time in its history. It's a great privilege, and the idea of a UNH Women's team competing in such an event as the host team would seemingly be a great potential recruiting point. Except we don't know yet who will be recruiting the players ... or if committed players currently on the team OR coming to the team will be here come September ... or daresay whether the program will even have enough players for the 2014/2015 season, putting the whole "host" status for the 2016 FF in jeopardy??????

Begging the question ... who is "minding the store" at UNH Women's Hockey?

The silence from BS35's perpetually sunny, what-me-worry corner of the UNH universe is deafening ...

Comment

Working...
                                X