Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Love this story - had forgotten all about the town of Gonic, even though I lived in Rochester from 76-81!!

My Durham Pool story is simple, and probably all-too-commonplace back in the day... my girlfriend and I got nabbed by the UNH (maybe Durham?) Police for jumping the fence at about 1am one summer night. We were knee-deep in the pool when the flashlights came on, and we obediently agreed to come out, but begged for an opportunity to at least get underwater (had been in the 90's for over a week). Request declined. My first of at least 3 run-ins with UNH and/or Durham's finest. $25 to get our knees wet.
    I live in Gonic, technically. My pool story is that my rookie year on the women's hockey team, upper class told us that our initiation would be to dive for pucks they threw - after the surface had frozen over! When that time came, we did not remind them of that, and were relieved to find out is was a hoax.

What they did do though, was on the very first time we scrimmaged in practice, on of the veterans on the bench with rookies told the tale of the three arrows in the roof at Snively (they were really there!) So what do you think we are paying attention to when it was time to change up? Busted!
    Last edited by DC78-82; 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM. Reason: I suppose that would all be hazing now, and the team would be suspended...
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      Love this story - had forgotten all about the town of Gonic, even though I lived in Rochester from 76-81!!

My Durham Pool story is simple, and probably all-too-commonplace back in the day... my girlfriend and I got nabbed by the UNH (maybe Durham?) Police for jumping the fence at about 1am one summer night. We were knee-deep in the pool when the flashlights came on, and we obediently agreed to come out, but begged for an opportunity to at least get underwater (had been in the 90's for over a week). Request declined. My first of at least 3 run-ins with UNH and/or Durham's finest. $25 to get our knees wet.
      You don't need to be underwater to get your clothes back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Not an option at student end, as would interfere with the luxury boxes.
        I'm impressed. You typed "luxury" with a straight face.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
          If Matthews can handle a 4 sided video board, I find it near impossible to believe that the Whitt cannot as well. It would be like UNH, however, to take the easy route and just replace the amber alert board at the end.
          Or if they can have even the mediocre one that they have at Alfond. When the Whit was built we were told that, structurally, it could support a four sided, state of the art, center ice scoreboard. If you remember, at the beginning they still used the old Snively scoreboards at either end. Then Tyco ponied up their ill-gotten money to support what we have today. I remember a Friends meeting back in the mid-90's when somebody from the management company (another sore subject) assured us that some day the "state of the art" scoreboard would be part of the Whit. However. 20 years later we're still waiting.

The Whit is still a good facility, better than all but a few in the East, but it needs a spruce up. Especially when it is mostly empty like it was this past weekend, you can see how drab it has gotten in places. The ceiling needs a good cleaning and the concourse and aisle stairs need a refinishing. But that takes some money beyond what no doubt is budgeted for the maintenance. And with the athletic department having moved on to the Cowell Stadium redo, it appears that the Whit is now almost an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            Or if they can have even the mediocre one that they have at Alfond. When the Whit was built we were told that, structurally, it could support a four sided, state of the art, center ice scoreboard. If you remember, at the beginning they still used the old Snively scoreboards at either end. Then Tyco ponied up their ill-gotten money to support what we have today. I remember a Friends meeting back in the mid-90's when somebody from the management company (another sore subject) assured us that some day the "state of the art" scoreboard would be part of the Whit. However. 20 years later we're still waiting.

The Whit is still a good facility, better than all but a few in the East, but it needs a spruce up. Especially when it is mostly empty like it was this past weekend, you can see how drab it has gotten in places. The ceiling needs a good cleaning and the concourse and aisle stairs need a refinishing. But that takes some money beyond what no doubt is budgeted for the maintenance. And with the athletic department having moved on to the Cowell Stadium redo, it appears that the Whit is now almost an afterthought.
            If I recall, they recently (2011, '12) sandblasted and painted the ceiling. I was told the lights were supposed to be replaced at that time but the budget slashes by legislature negated that.

Comment

Needs a new sound system as well, if you are in the first four or five rows behind the high glass most things John says over the PA are completely unintelligible. I'm no sound technician so maybe this is stupid, but some speakers behind the seating bowl pointing down the rows may do wonders.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                If I recall, they recently (2011, '12) sandblasted and painted the ceiling. I was told the lights were supposed to be replaced at that time but the budget slashes by legislature negated that.
                Sometimes the lights are the only thing that's buzzing at the Whitt, sad to report. Snarkiness aside, we picked up the stream for Saturday's game, and the buzzing of the lights was distinctly heard in the background, just under the announcers' voices.
                We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                  Sometimes the lights are the only thing that's buzzing at the Whitt, sad to report. Snarkiness aside, we picked up the stream for Saturday's game, and the buzzing of the lights was distinctly heard in the background, just under the announcers' voices.
                  I guess we could say there are a myriad of minor projects that need to be done. Sort of like my house. If it is not one thing, it's another. Even if you can budget for it sometimes you don't have the time, or worse, you can't find someone to do the job for you at a decent price. But you need to prioritize, because some things are more important than others. My wish list, in order, would be, first by a wide margin, a center ice scoreboard with decent video, then an upgrade of the sound system, and finally a resurface of the concourse and aisles. Of course, the ultimate wish list would be an on-facility weight room and a lounge area for players and/or fans but those are just pipe dreams unless some rich egomaniac who wants his name plastered all over the arena ponies up. Can't see that ever happening.

Comment

#1) Jumbotron
                    #2) Sound system
                    #3) Lighting system (really negatively effects tv games imo)
                    #4) Sound panels in the ceiling. The Garden has them and it helps to keep noise in, the exposed beams really play havoc with the acoustics in the Whitt
                    #5) Resurface aisles, concourse, etc

To do list after I win Powerball:
                    Widen the concourse
                    Extend the series of boxes at the top of the bowl behind the opposing team's bench all the way around the arena creating additional premium boxes and in effect enclosing the concourse and trapping more noise in the playing area.
                    LED ribbon board around the interior of the now enclosed rink
                    Lounge area(s)
                    Matching set of 2nd level luxury boxes on the non-student end zone
                    Balconies on the two sidelines
                    Underground parking garage (accessible through the cement wall where Snively meets the Whitt)
                    Foot traffic bridge to/from A Lot over the train tracks
                    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM.
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                      #1) Jumbotron
                      #2) Sound system
                      #4) Sound panels in the ceiling. The Garden has them and it helps to keep noise in, the exposed beams really play havoc with the acoustics in the Whitt

Widen the concourse
                      Extend the series of boxes at the top of the bowl behind the opposing team's bench all the way around the arena creating additional premium boxes and in effect enclosing the concourse and trapping more noise in the playing area.
                      Lounge area(s)
                      Underground parking garage (accessible through the cement wall where Snively meets the Whitt)
                      Regarding the parking. Am I the only one driven crazy by the fact that the alumni center lot is 2/3 empty for most games. Back in the glory days we were told that the spaces had to be reserved for the big shots in Concord and big donors who would grace us with their presence only if their walk from car to arena was less than two minutes. Well even then few biggies came to games and, if they did, they would not be seen before or after. We all have friends or acquaintances who have had season tickets that go back to the Snively days, some for the almost 50 years. Do they get any consideration for these coveted spots? Short answer no! The alternatives now are A lot (total nightmare) and the lot across from the late lamented New England Center. Back when the NEC was operating, you couldn't park there either. When people lament the difficulty in attending Friday night games, I believe it has as much to do with the parking situation as it does with the 7 o'clock starts. At his point would you not think that our all-knowing AD would throw season ticket holders a little sop and give at least those with the longest tenure of attendance one of those premium parking spots. Dream on I guess.

BTW, a foot bridge over the tracks from A Lot to the Dairy Barn has always been on my wish list. Probably not doable because of National Dept. of Transportation rules. But if they ever did, how about an incentive where you have the option of parking for free if you walk around but. pony up a buck, you can cross the bridge. What a fundraiser!
                      Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

BTW, a foot bridge over the tracks from A Lot to the Dairy Barn has always been on my wish list. Probably not doable because of National Dept. of Transportation rules. But if they ever did, how about an incentive where you have the option of parking for free if you walk around but. pony up a buck, you can cross the bridge. What a fundraiser!
                        Or, how about a pedestrian tunnel? Might need a sump pump, but no big deal.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 03-19-2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Extend the series of boxes at the top of the bowl behind the opposing team's bench all the way around the arena creating additional premium boxes and in effect enclosing the concourse and trapping more noise in the playing area
                          I've always been partial towards polycarbonate, floor to ceiling (or 10'-15' at least) panels around the top of the bowl. This would maintain the ability to watch from the concourse, but also help to trap sound. There is a huge volume of air over the concourse that helps to swallow what sound is produced.
                          113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

I guess we could say there are a myriad of minor projects that need to be done. Sort of like my house. If it is not one thing, it's another. Even if you can budget for it sometimes you don't have the time, or worse, you can't find someone to do the job for you at a decent price. But you need to prioritize, because some things are more important than others. My wish list, in order, would be, first by a wide margin, a center ice scoreboard with decent video, then an upgrade of the sound system, and finally a resurface of the concourse and aisles. Of course, the ultimate wish list would be an on-facility weight room and a lounge area for players and/or fans but those are just pipe dreams unless some rich egomaniac who wants his name plastered all over the arena ponies up. Can't see that ever happening.
                            Are those the projects for Chez Ambrose or the Whit?
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

#1) Jumbotron
                              #2) Sound system

Widen the concourse
                              Lounge area(s)
                              Sounds great! I didn't know I was the only one who had considered what I'd do with potential PowerBall winnings for the 'Whitt...
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

While we're ranting...
                                Here's another one: appeal to the legislature for an exemption to (or repeal of) the state law banning UNH from selling beer. Enact some safeguard restrictions like BU or the Garden where you won't sell to people under 25 with an out of state license (or just at all, to be extra safe) and profit.

Need more revenue? UNH state license plates. Create a blue and white color scheme, slap the Cat head logo on it - revenue and branding all in one.
                                http://umassalumni.com/licenseplate/
                                http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/blackbear.htm
                                Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-19-2014, 06:17 PM.
                                Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                                X