UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Y'know, why not ... while the former AG is looking under rocks/into crevices, we might as well keep him busy, no?

It's not like the U didn't just write an enormous check to some NYC marketing firm to crank out a nondescript "modern" new logo, under the guise of "rebranding" or some other "strategic vision" foolishness.

Apparently the USNH budget isn't THAT tight these days. Considering that in the next 12 month budgetary period, the AD's budget center alone will be paying for:

(1) an already-dismissed Women's Hockey coach with a wrongful termination lawsuit;
    (2) soon-to-be-dismissed Men's Hoops coach(es) with long years left on their contract(s);
    (3) a civil plaintiff/Women's Hockey player with some far-fetched PTSD claims;
    (4) perhaps some Men's Hoops players with creative civil claims of their own;
    (5) defen$e attorney$' fee$ to defend tho$e likely expen$ive civil action$;
    (6) a new-and-improved contract for Coach McDonnell via GrovelFest 2014; AND
    (7) start-up costs associated with the *state-of-the-art* "Scarano Field @ West Stadium" project.

So we pay independent counsel a few extra dollars to expand the scope of the investigation. Big woop. Obviously, we are made of money these days at The U of NH. Oh, wait ...
    I do not see Jumbotron for Lake Whitt on that list. :-(

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Good point 65! We're to accept that we can finance the new Cowell but yet we can't find the cash needed to get a Jumbotron, which was priced at about 2 million! Priorities must be the reasoning, I'm sure.....

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
        Good point 65! We're to accept that we can finance the new Cowell but yet we can't find the cash needed to get a Jumbotron, which was priced at about 2 million! Priorities must be the reasoning, I'm sure.....
        When UNH was announced as the host of the 2016 Women's Frozen Four "Jumobtron" was the first thought that went through my head, and part of me wondered if assurances were made to the NCAA that they'd get one in time for the event. The Whitt is now in the minority of arenas hosting it without having one, see the list below. Of course, on the plus side, if we don't have one they can't play that ****ing clip of the 1999 men's final against Maine... They actually shut it off at the 2006 Women's Frozen Four when we started booing it.

Women's Frozen Four hosts with video jumbotrons
        2018 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓
        2017 Family Arena, St. Charles, MO ✓
        2016 Whittemore Center, Durham, NH ?
        2015 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis ✓
        2014 TD Bank Sports Center, Hamden, CT ✓
        2013 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓ (added video scoreboard in the fall of 2011)
        2012 Amsoil Arena, Duluth, MN ✓
        2011 Erie Insurance Arena, Erie, PA ✓
        2010 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✗
        2009 Agganis Arena, Boston, MA ✓
        2008 DECC, Duluth, MN ✗
        2007 Herb Brooks Arena, Lake Placid, NY ✗
        2006 Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓
        2005 Whittemore Center, Durham, NH
        2004 Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI ✓
        2003 DECC, Duluth, MN ✗
        2002 Whittemore Center, Durham, NH
        2001 Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓
        2000* Matthews Arena, Boston, MA ✗
        1999* Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis ✓
        1998* FleetCenter, Boston ✓
        * = AWCHA Women's Final Four
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
          When UNH was announced as the host of the 2016 Women's Frozen Four "Jumobtron" was the first thought that went through my head, and part of me wondered if assurances were made to the NCAA that they'd get one in time for the event. The Whitt is now in the minority of arenas hosting it without having one, see the list below. Of course, on the plus side, if we don't have one they can't play that ****ing clip of the 1999 men's final against Maine... They actually shut it off at the 2006 Women's Frozen Four when we started booing it.

Women's Frozen Four hosts with video jumbotrons
          2018 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓
          2017 Family Arena, St. Charles, MO ✓
          2016 Whittemore Center, Durham, NH ?
          2015 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis ✓
          2014 TD Bank Sports Center, Hamden, CT ✓
          2013 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓ (added video scoreboard in the fall of 2011)
          2012 Amsoil Arena, Duluth, MN ✓
          2011 Erie Insurance Arena, Erie, PA ✓
          2010 Ridder Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✗
          2009 Agganis Arena, Boston, MA ✓
          2008 DECC, Duluth, MN ✗
          2007 Herb Brooks Arena, Lake Placid, NY ✗
          2006 Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓
          2005 Whittemore Center, Durham, NH
          2004 Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI ✓
          2003 DECC, Duluth, MN ✗
          2002 Whittemore Center, Durham, NH
          2001 Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis, MN ✓
          2000* Matthews Arena, Boston, MA ✗
          1999* Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis ✓
          1998* FleetCenter, Boston ✓
          * = AWCHA Women's Final Four
          Well, at Ridder in 2010 the NCAA put up a video screen in one corner. I suppose they will do the same at the Whitt because there is apparently no way to hang a "jumbotron" from the rafters. The best option would be a video board along the end pillars like that at Conte Forum, though then those in the north student section wouldn't be able to see it.

Comment

If Matthews can handle a 4 sided video board, I find it near impossible to believe that the Whitt cannot as well. It would be like UNH, however, to take the easy route and just replace the amber alert board at the end.
            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

• Originally posted by freak View Post
              If Matthews can handle a 4 sided video board, I find it near impossible to believe that the Whitt cannot as well. It would be like UNH, however, to take the easy route and just replace the amber alert board at the end.
              Agree!
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by freak View Post
                Well, as they say, "they don't build 'em like they used to."

Comment

UNH offers to build 14,000- to 16,000-square-foot pool: Town takes no action on $4.4m proposal; matter to be discussed further Wednesday

By Casey Conley
                  cconley@fosters.com
                  Tuesday, March 18, 2014

DURHAM — The Town Council deferred action Monday on University of New Hampshire’s proposal to build a $4.4 million outdoor pool.

Council members heard from more than a dozen residents, many opposed to the proposal, before deciding to revisit the issue during a future meeting.

UNH is offering to replace the existing 76-year-old pool with a new 14,000- to 16,000-square-foot pool. The university also offered to pay construction costs for the new pool, which would be built atop the existing one.

Town administrator Todd Selig, who has worked for months with UNH officials on a pool compromise, said the university appeared to be meeting the town halfway.

“From my perspective, this is a good deal,” he said. “It’s not a whole loaf, but it’s half a loaf. I think a good deal and it will serve the town well.”

Town Council members appeared split on the proposal, with some arguing it’s the best deal the town will get and others concerned about the process. No votes were held on the measure.

The UNH pool working group comprised of UNH officials, town officials and residents will meet at 3 p.m. Wednesday at the Durham Library to discuss the issue further. The event is open to the public but public comment will not be accepted.

UNH released details about the pool proposal Monday afternoon, a few hours before the council meeting. In a statement explaining the offer, UNH said it wanted a Town Council endorsement Monday night.

However, the timing of the proposal riled some residents and council members, who felt a vote Monday night would be rushed.

Mark Rubinstein, the UNH vice president for student and academic services staff, said Monday night that a final vote could wait.

However, he said UNH hopes to present its plan to university system trustees for final approval in April. It’s hoping for a town endorsement sometime before that meeting to ensure the pool can open in time for summer 2015.

He said UNH wants to maintain a good relationship with the town, and a council endorsement of the pool design is part of that.

The university announced in a November letter that it would not reopen the existing 42,000-square-foot pool this summer. That letter cited an October report by state the Department of Environmental Services that classified the facility as an swimming pool. The report also said it does not meet modern standards.

UNH President Mark Huddleston has said the university has a responsibility to operate a pool that meets all health and safety codes.

UNH owns and operates the facility but Durham pays $20,000 a year toward operations. On average, 250 people use it each day during the summer months.

The new pool would be paid for with internal funds, Rubinstein said.
                  "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Good to see the town and U getting along so well on the new pool project. Back in the day before the Internet and computer games, social media, etc, just about every Durham kid learned how to swim in the old pool. For me and my Flaming Arrow Patrol in Durham Boy Scout Troop 354 (there were four patrols, but our Flaming Arrow patrol was where our Vietnam ex-marine troop leader placed all the kids that he perceived to be losahs), it meant winning the state-wide Boy Scout Jamboree with over 500 patrols in Gonic, as every kid in our patrol was able to swim out and back to a raft anchored in some local mud hole. Apparently each of the other three patrols with all of the cool kids had a non-swimmer. Ha, ha, ha. Our troop leader hated our patrol for winning that event, and intensified the war games that we played every Wednesday night in the Congregational church (the white one with the steeple on the hill coming into Durham past the gas stations), leading to mayhem committed against us Flaming Arrows by the bullies in the other three patrols. Needless to say, I never made Eagle Scout. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hux View Post
                      Well, at Ridder in 2010 the NCAA put up a video screen in one corner. I suppose they will do the same at the Whitt because there is apparently no way to hang a "jumbotron" from the rafters. The best option would be a video board along the end pillars like that at Conte Forum, though then those in the north student section wouldn't be able to see it.
                      The Whitt was built so that the roof could be raised off the pillars to support a balcony if there was ever enough future demand to warrant expansion, seems unbelievable to me that it can't support a jumbotron. End zone video board feels like a cop out to me, if you're gonna do it then do it right. Amazed they got one in to the ceiling at the Alfond without pulling that ugly roof down.
                      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                        The Whitt was built so that the roof could be raised off the pillars to support a balcony if there was ever enough future demand to warrant expansion, seems unbelievable to me that it can't support a jumbotron. End zone video board feels like a cop out to me, if you're gonna do it then do it right. Amazed they got one in to the ceiling at the Alfond without pulling that ugly roof down.
                        A agree. With the lightweight materials available today (aircraft aluminum, Kevlar, a bit of electronics), how heavy can a Jumbotron be?

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                          End zone video board feels like a cop out to me, if you're gonna do it then do it right.
                          I think they did it right at Conte. Those end zone video boards are much larger screens than jumbotron screens. Doing it right means you need one on each end. Either way works.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            I think they did it right at Conte. Those end zone video boards are much larger screens than jumbotron screens. Doing it right means you need one on each end. Either way works.
                            Not an option at student end, as would interfere with the luxury boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                              Conte's new (3 years old or so I think) ones are nice. As a general rule I prefer jumbotron as you can look from the ice to the board quicker during play and that is worth a slight decrease in size. Size difference between Conte and Matthews is very significant though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Good to see the town and U getting along so well on the new pool project. Back in the day before the Internet and computer games, social media, etc, just about every Durham kid learned how to swim in the old pool. For me and my Flaming Arrow Patrol in Durham Boy Scout Troop 354 (there were four patrols, but our Flaming Arrow patrol was where our Vietnam ex-marine troop leader placed all the kids that he perceived to be losahs), it meant winning the state-wide Boy Scout Jamboree with over 500 patrols in Gonic, as every kid in our patrol was able to swim out and back to a raft anchored in some local mud hole. Apparently each of the other three patrols with all of the cool kids had a non-swimmer. Ha, ha, ha. Our troop leader hated our patrol for winning that event, and intensified the war games that we played every Wednesday night in the Congregational church (the white one with the steeple on the hill coming into Durham past the gas stations), leading to mayhem committed against us Flaming Arrows by the bullies in the other three patrols. Needless to say, I never made Eagle Scout. :-)
                                Love this story - had forgotten all about the town of Gonic, even though I lived in Rochester from 76-81!!

My Durham Pool story is simple, and probably all-too-commonplace back in the day... my girlfriend and I got nabbed by the UNH (maybe Durham?) Police for jumping the fence at about 1am one summer night. We were knee-deep in the pool when the flashlights came on, and we obediently agreed to come out, but begged for an opportunity to at least get underwater (had been in the 90's for over a week). Request declined. My first of at least 3 run-ins with UNH and/or Durham's finest. $25 to get our knees wet.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X