Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Hard to see this concluding without a scapegoat forced to walk the plank. Maybe rightfully so ... maybe not.

Without knowing anything other than public info, Coach Herrion and his staff are probably the prime target(s).

At least it is for me. JMHO.
    "Must spread..."
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

When it rains, it pours, blue skies, or not.

Comment

Simple hypothetical...

If:

A. Herrion and staff did cover up the Weitzell situation, and it only came to Marty's attention when the player came forward.

AND

B. Coach M did commit the offense described by a couple of the here-and-gone posters below, and that offense is borne out with hard evidence.

If you're Prez Hudd, do you...

1. Fire Marty?

2. Retain Marty?
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
          Simple hypothetical...

If:

A. Herrion and staff did cover up the Weitzell situation, and it only came to Marty's attention when the player came forward.

AND

B. Coach M did commit the offense described by a couple of the here-and-gone posters below, and that offense is borne out with hard evidence.

1. Fire Marty?

2. Retain Marty?
          McCloskey is gone if he got physical as the player stated, the reasoning, anti bullying, the culture change in athletics that is trickling down from the biggest bully sport of all, the NFL. I am old school and from what I have read on this thread IMO Coach McCloskey should still be employed, but, the new school of personal space does not allow a person of trust or authority to place his hands on his charge in any manner which might be deemed threatening or worse. I had a discussion with my wife who is a middle school teacher about the McCloskey incident, her response was, "I am not allowed to hug a kid even if he/she approaches me for a hug, if I am attacked by a student my training tells me to get out of danger and report it to security" Not apples to apples, but even my wife who is no hockey fan said if he laid hands on her in an aggressive manner, he is gone because he is held to a higher standard even though in this case both parties were adults. Remember this answer is in response to the hypothetical question.
          Last edited by LTsatch; 03-13-2014, 11:40 PM.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            Marty is gone if he got physical as the player stated, the reasoning, anti bullying, the culture change in athletics that is trickling down from the biggest bully sport of all, the NFL. I am old school and from what I have read on this thread IMO Coach Scarano should still be employed, but, the new school of personal space does not allow a person of trust or authority to place his hands on his charge in any manner which might be deemed threatening or worse. I had a discussion with my wife who is a middle school teacher about the Scarano incident, her response was, "I am not allowed to hug a kid even if he/she approaches me for a hug, if I am attacked by a student my training tells me to get out of danger and report it to security" Not apples to apples, but even my wife who is no hockey fan said if he laid hands on her in an aggressive manner, he is gone because he is held to a higher standard even though in this case both parties were adults. Remember this answer is in response to the hypothetical question.
            FYI, Scarano is the AD...not the coach.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              "Forget it, he's rolling" (Animal House)
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                I'll go back to CT now, I hope my point came across, I have no excuse! Not even beer goggles.

As to the hypothetical question, it is fire both coaches with a quiet monetary settlement, both lost control of a situation at some point should be held accountable. That "simple" is not so simple!
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  I'll go back to CT now, I hope my point came across, I have no excuse! Not even beer goggles.

As to the hypothetical question, it is fire both coaches with a quiet monetary settlement, both lost control of a situation at some point should be held accountable. That "simple" is not so simple!
                  It is confusing for people outside of the UNH bubble!
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    It is confusing for people outside of the UNH bubble!
                    Ok, here is a CliffsNotes Study Guide to this thread for outsiders (please make edits as necessary).

BS35 = "Blue Skies" UNH Athletics Director Marty Scarano (or $carano)

Coach M = fired UNH Women's Hockey Coach Brian McCloskey

Weitzel = fired part-time Director of UNH basketball operations Scott Weitzel (not to be confused with former UNH President Joan Leitzel)

Hudd = UNH President Mark Huddleston

Dick = legendary UNH Men's Hockey Coach Richard Umile

McDonnell = UNH football coach Sean McDonnell

Herrion = UNH men's basketball coach Bill Herrion

Barney Fife = Don Knotts, Andy Griffith's deputy in Mayberry
                    Last edited by Snively65; 03-14-2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Simple hypothetical...

If:

AND

1. Fire Marty?

2. Retain Marty?
                      With all of those "ifs" ... IF they ALL fall in favor of the current AD, then he should be kept on board AND applauded for making the right call on both situations. But then again, IF Herrion and/or his staff DID cover things up (and obviously we don't know the answer to that question yet) ... why aren't they already gone??

Huddleston's presence at the forefront of this investigation - and BS35's absence in the most recent press releases - does not bode well for the current AD. At the very least, it leads me to the conclusion his position is very much under review, depending upon the outcome of the former AG's investigation of the recent Men's Hoops incident.

Wondering out loud if the AG will also be asked to look into the handling of the McCloskey firing "while you're at it" etc.?
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

BS35 aka Marty$$ job is safe after a secret memo detailing the fund raising activities BS35 has planned.

1. Bake sale on frat row with every purchase a free beer cup is awarded and admission to next kegger

2. Donation cups held by the Whittemore ushers when entering arena. No donation is too small (no Canadian coins please)

3. Guided tours of the Whittemore center and a close up view of all the banners $5 fee

4. State wide raffle "Spend a day with BS35 and AD legend" Suggested price $20.

5. Getting to sit in on an athletic department meeting "Priceless"

Comment

Originally posted by huesie View Post
                          4. State wide raffle "Spend a day with BS35 and AD legend" Suggested price $20.
                          Count me in. I'm admittedly in need of an attitude adjustment. "Blue Skies" may be just the remedy.

Unfortunately, other than me and a handful of other like-minded masochists, I suspect the funds to be raised from this part of the broad fundraising program huesie has outlined would probably only be enough to cover the cost of a brand-new paint job on the existing rockpile - oops, errrr, I meant "home grandstand".

... must be something in the water down newfields way ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Wondering out loud if the AG will also be asked to look into the handling of the McCloskey firing "while you're at it" etc.?
                            Sounds like a DHOP or Nick's 2-for-1 special back in the day!!
                            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Since we're active over here again, I reiterate my question about the Trustees....what is their role at the U, when do they do it and how definitive is their decision? This charade has got to be addressed and concluded!!

Comment

Sounds like a DHOP or Nick's 2-for-1 special back in the day!!
                                Y'know, why not ... while the former AG is looking under rocks/into crevices, we might as well keep him busy, no?

It's not like the U didn't just write an enormous check to some NYC marketing firm to crank out a nondescript "modern" new logo, under the guise of "rebranding" or some other "strategic vision" foolishness.

Apparently the USNH budget isn't THAT tight these days. Considering that in the next 12 month budgetary period, the AD's budget center alone will be paying for:

(1) an already-dismissed Women's Hockey coach with a wrongful termination lawsuit;
                                (2) soon-to-be-dismissed Men's Hoops coach(es) with long years left on their contract(s);
                                (3) a civil plaintiff/Women's Hockey player with some far-fetched PTSD claims;
                                (4) perhaps some Men's Hoops players with creative civil claims of their own;
                                (5) defen$e attorney$' fee$ to defend tho$e likely expen$ive civil action$;
                                (6) a new-and-improved contract for Coach McDonnell via GrovelFest 2014; AND
                                (7) start-up costs associated with the *state-of-the-art* "Scarano Field @ West Stadium" project.

So we pay independent counsel a few extra dollars to expand the scope of the investigation. Big woop. Obviously, we are made of money these days at The U of NH. Oh, wait ...

Comment

Working...
                                X