PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

DC78-82
03-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Wow, here's your chance Admin. To stand up and show some ability....meet with the players and see if they're fears can be calmed...all they want is to be shown that someone actually cares....to be shown that " at UNH, we take care of our student-athletes, premier above all"!

Nail on the head. If this team knows Coaches Wood and Jones are back next fall, I don't think we'll see anything close to a mass exodus. The student - athletes who play UNH Hockey chose this school for a number of reasons, just one of which is the hockey program. They are also in Durham because of the education.

In the discussion of "jumping ship", we have yet to mention that a lot of these women chose this ship because of the academic avenues they have here. Exercise Science, Engineering, Environmental Studies. UNH has programs that are unrivaled, at least in schools that also have D1 hockey. Knowing that they may have to compromise on one or the other after having found what they thought was the perfect fit, has got to be weighing heavily on these players.

I really hope, for the sake of the student-athletes thrust into this mess, that they get the answers they need quickly, so they can make a decision. We all read every year about how daunting the process of choosing a program and school is. It is certainly not in the best interest of the student-athlete to have to repeat the process. I don't want to see these people who i have come to care about wearing the colors of another school. I want them to remain Wildcats, and be proud of their choice, and their school, but someone at the top has got to give them something to believe in and be proud of.

Who is that? Who is minding the store? Whoever it is had best turn on the Open sign or we're going to be out of business.

HockeyRef
03-31-2014, 04:25 PM
So, this just appeared on Twitter:

http://unhstadium.com/

The Zlax45
03-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Is Diane Metcalf Steve's wife? If so, another nepotism in that AD

Darius
03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
She works for Advancement not Athletics.

The Zlax45
03-31-2014, 05:13 PM
She works for Advancement not Athletics.

Her title on that site is Director of Athletics Development..

Darius
03-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Her title on that site is Director of Athletics Development..Yes, similar to the Director of Development, Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics and Director of Development, College of Liberal Arts, etc. They work closely with the organizations they support, but work for Advancement.

No big deal, just saying any nepotism is cross departmental.

Chuck Murray
03-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Yes, similar to the Director of Development, Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics and Director of Development, College of Liberal Arts, etc. They work closely with the organizations they support, but work for Advancement.

No big deal, just saying any nepotism is cross departmental.

That's reassuring ...

The Zlax45
03-31-2014, 06:53 PM
That's reassuring ...

Yea...that is better but still doesn't change the men's basketball coach hiring his son and the women's coach hiring her husband...

zoofer
03-31-2014, 07:11 PM
And the Trustees at good ole State U still have nothing to say.....about the way Huddleston is running the University! Seriously, are they hiring? Or do I have to have a relative working there for them to look at my resume....aaahhh that's where Johnny Gaudreau went wrong!

zoofer
04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Oh and by the way, how is it we can raise money for the stadium, and then 4.4 million for a new pool, but can't seem to find the funds for a jumbotron? Do we not have contracts with major corporate sponsors like other schools who have the jumbotrons surrounded by logos?

ClOuD 9
04-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Regarding the parking. Am I the only one driven crazy by the fact that the alumni center lot is 2/3 empty for most games. Back in the glory days we were told that the spaces had to be reserved for the big shots in Concord and big donors who would grace us with their presence only if their walk from car to arena was less than two minutes. Well even then few biggies came to games and, if they did, they would not be seen before or after. We all have friends or acquaintances who have had season tickets that go back to the Snively days, some for the almost 50 years. Do they get any consideration for these coveted spots? Short answer no! The alternatives now are A lot (total nightmare) and the lot across from the late lamented New England Center. Back when the NEC was operating, you couldn't park there either. When people lament the difficulty in attending Friday night games, I believe it has as much to do with the parking situation as it does with the 7 o'clock starts. At his point would you not think that our all-knowing AD would throw season ticket holders a little sop and give at least those with the longest tenure of attendance one of those premium parking spots. Dream on I guess.
Not sure if this has changed, but during the 2012-13 season a parking pass at New Hampshire Hall or the Alumni Center would cost you $3,000 a year: $2,500 annual donation to Wildcat Athletic Fund + $500 for the pass itself. <a href=http://www.unhwildcats.com/releases/Wildcat_Fund_initiative_July2012>http://www.unhwildcats.com/releases/Wildcat_Fund_initiative_July2012</A>

Hux
04-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Not sure if this has changed, but during the 2012-13 season a parking pass at New Hampshire Hall or the Alumni Center would cost you $3,000 a year: $2,500 annual donation to Wildcat Athletic Fund + $500 for the pass itself. <a href=http://www.unhwildcats.com/releases/Wildcat_Fund_initiative_July2012>http://www.unhwildcats.com/releases/Wildcat_Fund_initiative_July2012</A>

They need to do something along the lines of BU's New Balance Field. Yank up the green out in front of the Whitt, build a parking garage below grade, and plop the field turf on top. Parking problem solved.

Snively65
04-04-2014, 05:56 AM
They need to do something along the lines of BU's New Balance Field. Yank up the green out in front of the Whitt, build a parking garage below grade, and plop the field turf on top. Parking problem solved.

Might be cheaper to build a six-level parking deck BEHIND the Whitt, next to the alum building, you know, partially hidden behind the trees. Then, we would be just like BC; high-end "NHLer" recruits would come flocking to UNH, the whole nine yards. What do you say, BS35?

Hux
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Might be cheaper to build a six-level parking deck BEHIND the Whitt, next to the alum building, you know, partially hidden behind the trees. Then, we would be just like BC; high-end "NHLer" recruits would come flocking to UNH, the whole nine yards. What do you say, BS35?

Nah, that would be a waste of the $40,000 permeable parking lot and would still entail an exposed walk to the Whitt. My idea would include an express elevator to the luxury box level for those VIPs who ponied up for parking spots and a video scoreboard. ;)

Chuck Murray
04-04-2014, 12:51 PM

Great idea, Hux. And BTW, with both fields (@ UNH and New Balance Field) being used primarily for field hockey these days, the old-fashioned phony turf (Astroturf) gets some increasingly rare usage. God, I do hate that stuff ... but apparently it is still THE preferred surface for that sport. I'm sure some company out there is only too happy to be able to rid themselves of some otherwise obsolete inventory. IMO that's taking this whole "green" movement too far. ;)

Speaking of "obsolete inventory" (wait for the *amazing* transition on this one ;) ) ... this past weekend, almost 100,000 baseball fans turned out at Stade Olympique in Montreal for two meaningless exhibition games. In today's shameless "Bring Back Les Expos" plug, I figured I'd post some links to some nice photos of a sold-out Big Owe, which is something I haven't seen myself for about 15 years now. :eek: :( Does bring back some fond memories, though.

Sorry to post here, but it looks like the old Expos thread in the Cafe has joined Nos Amours in oblivion these days. :D

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31.0-8/1614486_10152053266462759_1010308469_o.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/in-photos-baseball-returns-to-montreal/article17727755/#dashboard/follows/

Greg Ambrose
04-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Great idea, Hux. And BTW, with both fields (@ UNH and New Balance Field) being used primarily for field hockey these days, the old-fashioned phony turf (Astroturf) gets some increasingly rare usage. God, I do hate that stuff ... but apparently it is still THE preferred surface for that sport. I'm sure some company out there is only too happy to be able to rid themselves of some otherwise obsolete inventory. IMO that's taking this whole "green" movement too far. ;)

Speaking of "obsolete inventory" (wait for the *amazing* transition on this one ;) ) ... this past weekend, almost 100,000 baseball fans turned out at Stade Olympique in Montreal for two meaningless exhibition games. In today's shameless "Bring Back Les Expos" plug, I figured I'd post some links to some nice photos of a sold-out Big Owe, which is something I haven't seen myself for about 15 years now. :eek: :( Does bring back some fond memories, though.

Sorry to post here, but it looks like the old Expos thread in the Cafe has joined Nos Amours in oblivion these days. :D

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31.0-8/1614486_10152053266462759_1010308469_o.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/in-photos-baseball-returns-to-montreal/article17727755/#dashboard/follows/

Chuck, I never mind when you bring up the Expos. Although I never made it to Jarry Park (Park du Jarry), I went to several games at Olympic Stadium in the early 80's. The park was beyond horrible, maybe even worse that the big hefty in Minnesota. But the play was great. The Expos had a lot of great players back in those days - Dawson, Raines, Cromartie, Randy Johnson, et al. I've often wondered if the lack of support for the team was due to the awful stadium or the fact that the population in Montreal is just so consumed with the Canadiens that anything else is going to be on the far back burner.

Obligatory UNH reference on parking. Who in their right mind would pony up $2-3,000 to shorten a walk to the arena by 5 minutes at most. UNH just doesn't get how to build loyalty to the team or the school. Of course, I've been told by friends that they don't do much of a job at BU either.

Chuck Murray
04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Chuck, I never mind when you bring up the Expos. Although I never made it to Jarry Park (Park du Jarry), I went to several games at Olympic Stadium in the early 80's. The park was beyond horrible, maybe even worse that the big hefty in Minnesota. But the play was great. The Expos had a lot of great players back in those days - Dawson, Raines, Cromartie, Randy Johnson, et al. I've often wondered if the lack of support for the team was due to the awful stadium or the fact that the population in Montreal is just so consumed with the Canadiens that anything else is going to be on the far back burner.

In retrospect - it's funny, with 10 years' separation, you do have time to ponder - I'm absolutely convinced the issues were at least 90% down to crappy, undercommitted ownership. The Expos never really had attendance issues until Charlie Bronfman got cold feet in the mid-1980's about the creeping payroll expenses, after he'd just given Gary Carter (RIP) what I believe was the biggest contract up 'til then in MLB history. And up through that point, Montreal was drawing better than average crowds to the Owe, and were up over 2 million attendance a few times - which was a big deal at the time. But Bronfman got a bad case of buyer's remorse, sent Carter (and his salary) to the Mets, and the fans slowly but surely began to lose faith in it all.

But once Bronfman lost his financial cojones - in fairness, also during a time when the Quebec separatist movement was very close to succeeding - that was the beginning of the end. Selling to Brochu and the consortium of owners - none of whom was the leader, and Brochu (the leader) not having his own money to really take charge - was the worst thing possible, and when the 1994 strike hit, they threw in the financial towel for the first of several "fire sales", which totally alienated the fans. You can see from that point forward, attendance went into a death spiral until Jeffrey "Carpetbagger" Loria swooped in at MLB's beckoning to finish the job, which included nuking a well-developed downtown stadium plan.

The stadium *could* have been better located, and turning it into an enclosed stadium in the late '80's once the retractible roof stopped working :rolleyes: didn't help things. It's certainly never been a "baseball" venue, but I guess I always thought that was overblown. The Alouettes (CFL) and the Impact (MLS) are doing just fine attendance-wise, so I don't buy the hockey obsession argument either. There were dozens of other factors out there then (and some remain to this day), but at the top of the list, I say it's down to a bunch of undercommitted owners who increasingly crapped on an increasingly cynical fanbase.

96,000+ fans for two exhibition games in an outdated non-baseball stadium (pretty much all of the stadiums built around that same time have been imploded, no?) tells me all I need to know about how much the fans up there miss baseball. I mean, when DC was wandering in the wilderness for 30-something years, and they started hosting exhibition games like these, they weren't packing out RFK to the tune of about 100,000 fans for a weekend.

Off my soapbox in defense of my home-away-from home, for now at least. Thanks for tolerating. :)

Obligatory UNH reference on parking. Who in their right mind would pony up $2-3,000 to shorten a walk to the arena by 5 minutes at most. UNH just doesn't get how to build loyalty to the team or the school. Of course, I've been told by friends that they don't do much of a job at BU either.

It looks like the folks running the show at UNH have been reading from Monsieur Brochu's 1990's playbook on how not to build loyalty with your fanbase ... :mad: ... it's amazing, in just about 10 years, the vaunted multi-thousand fan 'waiting list" is a memory, sellouts are a rarity, and the old atmosphere is pretty much gonzo. Let's not forget when our boy BS35 decided to micromanage the whole fan experience at The Whitt, eliminating certain songs and cheers, etc. How well has that worked, eh? :rolleyes: Maybe he should just stick to doing what he does best instead, which would be ... err ... ummm ... ahhh ... :confused: ... dunno, I give up.

Felger
04-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Never saw a baseball game in that dome, but did see a concert up there on one occasion. Was a bit late getting to the venue and never really noted where I was parked. Spent a loooooong time searching for my vehicle afterwards.:confused:

Hux
04-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Hence the need for an express elevator. Think Willie Wonka.

freak
04-06-2014, 08:01 AM
it's amazing, in just about 10 years, the vaunted multi-thousand fan 'waiting list" is a memory,

Ten? You give too much credit. One could walk up to the box office as early as 2007 and buy season tix (and quite possibly a year or two before).