Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    I also read they are going to have lights in place by November 2014...
    Pretty sure the lights are a separate deal from the proposed stadium
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
      Pretty sure the lights are a separate deal from the proposed stadium
      Still find it crazy that this program hasn't had lights with all the success for the last 10 years and the success previous to this run!
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Lights are overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
          Marty can't get a Jumbotron for the hockey arena but he's going to have a "state of the art" football stadium in place for 2015? Did I read that correctly????
          I'll go out on a limb here and predict BS35's definition of "state of the art" is probably going to fall a little short of our expectations as to what constitutes "state of the art". The fawning over the installation of lights alone is embarrassing ... you'd think bidding for their installation was down to a choice between Edison and Tesla, ferchrissakes. They've been around for awhile now, y'know. Most of the HS teams who would be taking the "Road to Durham" will have played night games before. In their own stadiums even. Shocking, I know.

I do really hope it happens. Maybe someday we'll see a real facility when UNH hires a real ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I kid you not, BS35 coined a new phrase today ... "The Road to Durham". All that experience shining through brilliantly!!

http://www.nhfootballreport.com/2014..._saturday.html

Still absolutely no word on where the private money is coming from to fund this state-of-the-art stadium ...
            Don'tcha know Chuck..All Roads Lead to Durham!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Has anyone seem any of these drawings? Shouldn't they be public?

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Has anyone seem any of these drawings? Shouldn't they be public?
                I'm a bit challenged posting images on this board, but there are a couple on this thread:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/show...us-Master-Plan
                Last edited by Felger; 03-10-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  I'm a bit challenged posting images on this board, but there are a couple on this thread:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/show...us-Master-Plan
                  Yawn, nothing different there

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    I'll go out on a limb here and predict BS35's definition of "state of the art" is probably going to fall a little short of our expectations as to what constitutes "state of the art".
                    Exactly. UConn's rink is state of the art, doncha know?

http://maps.uconn.edu/m/info/FIF

The Freitas Ice Forum (FIF) is a completely enclosed, state-of-the-art facility
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Boston University Women's Basketball Coach Faces Bullying Accusations

Bullying accusations continue against BU coach
                      Last edited by C-H-C; 03-11-2014, 09:39 AM.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Very interesting situation. Without drawing too many conclusions, I think the BU Women's Hoops situation (and likely the UNH Women's Hockey situation) really points out the pressure at the D-1 level for student-athletes AND their coaches to perform. Some of it comes with the territory; some of it no doubt arises from the scenario where these highly-recruited HS athletes move that next step up the competitive pyramid, and instead of being the "superstar" of their school/district/state, they are lumped in against every other "superstar" of every other school/district/state. And the simple fact of the matter is, not everyone is going to succeed when that happens. Some kids will rise to the challenge; many more will fall short. And of those who do not measure up to their past successes, some will be mature and realistic enough to know this was a possible outcome, and they will handle things just fine. Others won't be as well equipped, and to those kids, this can be devastating.

I guess what we are beginning to see more and more are concepts like "bullying" being injected into the discussion as far as how a coach handles his/her business. And with pressure on the coach to produce results on and/or off the field of play with their student-athletes, this "pushback" on the other side of the performance spectrum only makes their job more demanding.

But these coaches are big boys/girls and are usually pretty well-compensated, full-time professional coaches, so they should have the time to develop honest relationships with their players on what to expect when they arrive on campus and show up for their first practice. It's their JOB to do this. IF the coach oversells the athlete on their future role, without being 100% honest and telling them they'll have to compete for their playing time/role, then shame on the coach. But if the coach puts his/her cards on the table from the outset, and promises nothing other than a fair chance to compete, then it shifts those expectations. Frankly, if the recruit finds that unacceptable, and decides to go play for someone else who promises them the moon and the stars, you know what ... if I'm that coach, then I can live without that player. Very nicely actually, thank you.

I'm drawing more of this out of the BU situation than the UNH situation, as the media investigation of the circumstances at the BU Women's Hoops program is a lot more in-depth as to the players' situations. The media coverage of the UNH Women's Hockey situation has mostly steered clear of that in-depth handling. I have had folks share their insights with me, both pro and con, and I'm not comfortable putting those thoughts out there as mine - because they aren't. So all you are left to do is look at a stat sheet, and take that for what it's worth. And I'd be the biggest hypocrite on these boards if I were to come on here and draw conclusions about certain players in the UNH program based on stats alone.

It's interesting though that BU is taking some time with this situation, even though there was a prior history, and has not let Coach Greenberg go already. Granted, she is apparently at the end of her extended deal, so maybe they will just let it expire and move on to the hiring process for her replacement. Yet in the meantime in Durham, the UNH AD's offices (headed up our hero BS35) pulled the plug on a coach with NO past history, after an investigation that lasted a few days (2-3?), turned up no definitive video evidence, and apparently ignored the accounts of numerous players on the team.

I still say UNH is a case of "buyer's remorse", where an opportunity arose to quell the remorse, and here we are ...
                        Last edited by Chuck Murray; 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                          Exactly. UConn's rink is state of the art, doncha know?

http://maps.uconn.edu/m/info/FIF
                          Heh, that's funny... but, going offtopic from your idiot AD, UConn has a drawing workup for the Connecticut Ice Arena (I refuse to refer to an arena named after a man arrested for domestic violence)... the proposed new place looks pretty nice.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Pretty sure Monday will mark the first time students have been on campus for St. Patrick's Day in the 2000's, and while I'm not expecting anything the size of UMass one has to assume there will at least be some arrests. Let's get some guesses in folks.
                            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Today's episode of "As the Field House Turns"

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/140319643

UNH hires former state AG to probe delay in reporting
                              athletics misconduct: Fired staffer accused of taking
                              photos in men’s locker room

DURHAM — Former N.H. Attorney General Michael Delaney will lead an investigation into
                              alleged misconduct in the University of New Hampshire athletics department, officials
                              announced Wednesday.

Delaney, of the Manchester-based McLane Law Firm, will focus on the aftermath of a Jan. 20
                              incident in Burlington, Vt., in which former UNH basketball staffer Scott Weitzell was accused of
                              taking cell phone images of UNH players in the locker room.

In particular, the investigation will try to determine why it took a month for the locker room
                              incident to be reported to officials. UNH says it first learned of the incident on Feb. 20 and fired
                              Weitzell a few days later.

“Mr. Delaney and his colleagues will have full access to necessary resources and personnel to
                              ensure a thorough and timely investigation into the reporting delays,” UNH President Mark
                              Huddleston said in a statement Wednesday.

“Our students and their parents count on us to act swiftly and decisively when we learn of
                              misconduct. We, in turn, count on every member of our campus community to report any and all
                              forms of misconduct without delay,” he continued.

Weitzell, 50, of Newmarket, worked as the part-time UNH director of basketball operations for
                              12 years before he was fired last month. Before that, he was a longtime youth coach in
                              Newmarket schools.

Weitzell was accused of taking cell phone images of UNH players in the visiting locker room at
                              the University of Vermont on Jan. 20, according to UNH police. Authorities have not said where
                              exactly the images were taken or how Weitzell was caught.

UVM police said last week that they are considering misdemeanor voyeurism charges against
                              Weitzell in connection with the Jan. 20 incident.

Weitzell was arrested Feb. 21 at his home in Newmarket and charged with felony falsification
                              of evidence for allegedly trying to hide his cell phone as police conducted a search warrant. He
                              also was charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest in connection with that incident.

Additional charges are possible in New Hampshire, police said.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                Today's episode of "As the Field House Turns"

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/140319643

UNH hires former state AG to probe delay in reporting
                                athletics misconduct: Fired staffer accused of taking
                                photos in men’s locker room
                                Hard to see this concluding without a scapegoat forced to walk the plank. Maybe rightfully so ... maybe not.

Without knowing anything other than public info, Coach Herrion and his staff are probably the prime target(s).

My guess is there will be a 75-80% chance we'll see a new UNH Men's Hoops staff in place next season.

As for BS35 ... his name is notable by its absence in this story. President Huddleston's involvement almost ensures that he's not a happy camper about all these developments and negative publicity over the last 90+ days (no kidding, eh?) and will want to be seen taking authoritative corrective action. I think the current AD's chances of remaining in this job past the summer are no better than 50-50, if that.

I think I said this before, but maybe it bears repeating ... at this point, BS35 is relying on the understanding and support of his superior in a tough situation. He was on the other side of the equation when Coach McCloskey's situation came up, and gave no support and precious little (if any) understanding of the Coach's side of things at the time. Ordinarily I'd feel badly for someone caught up in a series of "bad breaks", like this situation with the Men's Hoops team appears to be. But given the ruthless approach BS35 took with Coach McCloskey, it's hard to summon up too much sympathy for where the AD now finds himself. At least it is for me. JMHO.
                                Last edited by Chuck Murray; 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X