UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

OK so et me put some stuff out there. I'm OK with taking some criticism - it's not the first time, and it probably won't be the last time either. I'll also want to remind some posters (especially the most recent *mole* immediately prior to this) that I'm not the person who started this thread. For what it's worth, I've never worked as an AD, but as a HS coach (not hockey), I've reported to one, and I have a huge amount of respect and appreciation for what it means to work in that position, with FAR less resources than are available to UNH. And coaching has given me a much better appreciation for the work the coaches do at the next level. It's not been lost on most posters on this forum I know that the longer I've been doing what I'm doing, the less inclined I've become to cast aspersions on Coach Umile (and others). The higher up the competitive pyramid you get, the tougher it is to have success, and then to sustain that success.

I can honestly say that until the events with Coach McCloskey came up late last year, the worst charge I could level at the UNH AD's offices was an overall sense of complacency. Hence the "Blue Skies" moniker. We have all seen the stagnation of the Men's Hockey program over the recent years (for me, it's been a gradual downhill slide for about a decade now). The Men's Basketball program speaks for itself with its unparallelled lack of accomplishments, and while the Women's Hoops program is noticeably better, it's not really significantly progressed anytime recently either. And we've all gotten a "crash course" over the last few months of the more pronounced slide with the Women's Hockey program.

If there is any area of the UNH Athletics program that's stood out in a good way, it's been the Football team ... yet they are still playing in what is at best a decrepit outdated facility that most local HS programs look down on. Sure - there has been some recent noise about plans to upgrade that ... but ten years into a streak of excellent on-field results, which took things to a new higher level just this past season ... and there is STILL no guarantee that anything is going to get done? Isn't part of the AD's job - and a HUGE part of it, I would say - to head up effective fundraising to get capital improvements like improved football facilities done?

But all in all, during the current AD's tenure, I do not objectively see any evidence of "amazing" or even "great" progress. I see nothing but unending status quo and complacency. And let's keep in mind that UNH's two most successful coaches, by far - Coaches Umile and McDonnell - were carryovers from previous administration. The current AD's only high-profile (?) hiring has been Coach Herrion, and while most of us were optimistic about that one at the outset, there has been little evidence of any progress in the years that followed.

So now on to the present ... we have a badly bungled discharge of a high profile, long-time head coach due to his alleged mishandling of disciplinary issues with a player - a player, mind you, who appears to have been retained by the program (against the wishes of Coach McCloskey) due to prior disciplinary issues, in order to assist the AD's offices with Title IX compliance issues. Especially given that backdrop, it would seem Coach's punishment (for cause discharge) was more than a little too harsh, considering the level of the alleged transgression. Throw in the libelous bit where everyone was left to assume the worst about Coach's conduct ... you get the picture, and it's not a nice one. All the earmarks of an AD with serious "buyer's remorse" over a recently-extended, well-compensated coach. Throw in some "Big Brother" revisionism AND self-serving edicts that "none shalt spake publicly" ... and the Women's Hockey program (which has been described to me by more than one person since the firing as "inmates running the asylum") pays the price, on AND off the ice.

So then this latest incident surfaces, and ordinarily I would not disagree with the idea that an AD is not all-powerful and all-knowing ... except when this particular AD has been reminding everyone about his 35 year tenure in college sports administration, all the while not letting people provide their contrasting accounts of the Coach McCloskey incident, restricting media access, and other really petty control-freak-run-amok behavior. So what we have is an AD who can't wait to be BMOC when things are going well, and when there is credit to be taken ... but when the crap hits the fan, then it's his sycophantic moles coming out of the woodwork with the predictable "Gosh, it's such a BIG job, he can't possibly do everything". Help me out here - is the AD an "amazing" force of nature, or a wallflower??

From what I've seen and heard from President Huddleston, he fancies himself as a leader and a visionary. People like that need others around to share the "vision thing" with him, and to advance those agendas. Passengers need not apply. And based on the status quo vibe all around the Athletics department, it's hard to make the case for the current AD being a "visionary" transformational force. I'll be the first to admit that the timing of this most recent episode is probably dreadfully unlucky for the AD, who is now putting out more fires than Smokey the Bear (and that's not even including a decision on the continuation of Coach Herrion's well-compensated future). But considering the AD could not find the ability to show even the slightest bit of support and empathy for Coach McCloskey about 90 days ago, he is now going to have to depend on Huddleston finding those very same qualities he himself (BB35) was/is so lacking in to keep him in the AD's position. Karma, as they say, can sometimes be a b!tch.

But worry not, BB35 devotees ... if your boss doesn't get brought back, and decides it's time to take the circus on the road again after 14 "great" and "amazing" years (really??? - I can't get much past "pretty decent" myself), you can bet it won't be with the same lack of compassion he kicked Coach McCloskey to the curb with. JMHO.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by ListenToThis
      and who are you to make such accusations? This whole blog is pathetic
      And your motive for joining the self-proclaimed pathetic discussion? your third sentence ever began with "Stop being so ignorant..."
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        And your motive for joining the self-proclaimed pathetic discussion? your third sentence ever began with "Stop being so ignorant..."
        I actually thought it was pretty cool s/he adopted the whole "Blue Skies" motif so readily ...

Comment

I am not his wife you idiot. I am a close friend and co-worker.
          A sycophant with misogynistic tendencies even ... didn't realize only wives can make their men sandwiches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            OK so et me put some stuff out there. I'm OK with taking some criticism - it's not the first time, and it probably won't be the last time either. I'll also want to remind some posters (especially the most recent *mole* immediately prior to this) that I'm not the person who started this thread. For what it's worth, I've never worked as an AD, but as a HS coach (not hockey), I've reported to one, and I have a huge amount of respect and appreciation for what it means to work in that position, with FAR less resources than are available to UNH. And coaching has given me a much better appreciation for the work the coaches do at the next level. It's not been lost on most posters on this forum I know that the longer I've been doing what I'm doing, the less inclined I've become to cast aspersions on Coach Umile (and others). The higher up the competitive pyramid you get, the tougher it is to have success, and then to sustain that success.

I can honestly say that until the events with Coach McCloskey came up late last year, the worst charge I could level at the UNH AD's offices was an overall sense of complacency. Hence the "Blue Skies" moniker. We have all seen the stagnation of the Men's Hockey program over the recent years (for me, it's been a gradual downhill slide for about a decade now). The Men's Basketball program speaks for itself with its unparallelled lack of accomplishments, and while the Women's Hoops program is noticeably better, it's not really significantly progressed anytime recently either. And we've all gotten a "crash course" over the last few months of the more pronounced slide with the Women's Hockey program.

If there is any area of the UNH Athletics program that's stood out in a good way, it's been the Football team ... yet they are still playing in what is at best a decrepit outdated facility that most local HS programs look down on. Sure - there has been some recent noise about plans to upgrade that ... but ten years into a streak of excellent on-field results, which took things to a new higher level just this past season ... and there is STILL no guarantee that anything is going to get done? Isn't part of the AD's job - and a HUGE part of it, I would say - to head up effective fundraising to get capital improvements like improved football facilities done?

But all in all, during the current AD's tenure, I do not objectively see any evidence of "amazing" or even "great" progress. I see nothing but unending status quo and complacency. And let's keep in mind that UNH's two most successful coaches, by far - Coaches Umile and McDonnell - were carryovers from previous administration. The current AD's only high-profile (?) hiring has been Coach Herrion, and while most of us were optimistic about that one at the outset, there has been little evidence of any progress in the years that followed.

So now on to the present ... we have a badly bungled discharge of a high profile, long-time head coach due to his alleged mishandling of disciplinary issues with a player - a player, mind you, who appears to have been retained by the program (against the wishes of Coach McCloskey) due to prior disciplinary issues, in order to assist the AD's offices with Title IX compliance issues. Especially given that backdrop, it would seem Coach's punishment (for cause discharge) was more than a little too harsh, considering the level of the alleged transgression. Throw in the libelous bit where everyone was left to assume the worst about Coach's conduct ... you get the picture, and it's not a nice one. All the earmarks of an AD with serious "buyer's remorse" over a recently-extended, well-compensated coach. Throw in some "Big Brother" revisionism AND self-serving edicts that "none shalt spake publicly" ... and the Women's Hockey program (which has been described to me by more than one person since the firing as "inmates running the asylum") pays the price, on AND off the ice.

So then this latest incident surfaces, and ordinarily I would not disagree with the idea that an AD is not all-powerful and all-knowing ... except when this particular AD has been reminding everyone about his 35 year tenure in college sports administration, all the while not letting people provide their contrasting accounts of the Coach McCloskey incident, restricting media access, and other really petty control-freak-run-amok behavior. So what we have is an AD who can't wait to be BMOC when things are going well, and when there is credit to be taken ... but when the crap hits the fan, then it's his sycophantic moles coming out of the woodwork with the predictable "Gosh, it's such a BIG job, he can't possibly do everything". Help me out here - is the AD an "amazing" force of nature, or a wallflower??

From what I've seen and heard from President Huddleston, he fancies himself as a leader and a visionary. People like that need others around to share the "vision thing" with him, and to advance those agendas. Passengers need not apply. And based on the status quo vibe all around the Athletics department, it's hard to make the case for the current AD being a "visionary" transformational force. I'll be the first to admit that the timing of this most recent episode is probably dreadfully unlucky for the AD, who is now putting out more fires than Smokey the Bear (and that's not even including a decision on the continuation of Coach Herrion's well-compensated future). But considering the AD could not find the ability to show even the slightest bit of support and empathy for Coach McCloskey about 90 days ago, he is now going to have to depend on Huddleston finding those very same qualities he himself (BB35) was/is so lacking in to keep him in the AD's position. Karma, as they say, can sometimes be a b!tch.

But worry not, BB35 devotees ... if your boss doesn't get brought back, and decides it's time to take the circus on the road again after 14 "great" and "amazing" years (really??? - I can't get much past "pretty decent" myself), you can bet it won't be with the same lack of compassion he kicked Coach McCloskey to the curb with. JMHO.
            I agree with everything here...
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by ListenToThis
              my motive? Ive known Marty my whole life. and seeing these claims that are so wrong just disgust me.
              Sounds like this is Steve Metcalf posting here who Marty has had on his staff throughout

Comment

Another coward....

Comment

nope, also not Steve. You won't guess who I am no it's not worth trying to figure it out
                  Why do you care what us alums say? Oh wait, we are the people that donate to the school

Comment

Yes, Umile and McDonnell are the best coaches that UNH has. And the only reason they have stayed here and not taken bigger job opportunities in the past 10 years is BECAUSE of Marty Scarano. The coaches who know a thing or two about athletics know that he does his job respectably. No one is perfect. And pardon me, but you say he felt no "remorse" for McCloskey.... did you speak to him? Did he say he didn't feel bad? Did he say it didn't give him sleepless nights? No? Okay. I am guessing you have no idea who Marty is as a person. The news only covers the surface, the facts. And the fact was Yes he was fired. But he was fired for almost assaulting one of his players, which by the way, is caught on TAPE and the girl is pressing charges. so It's a pretty big deal, and Marty handled it the way that he AND his co workers felt was right. Marty is going no where. There are amazing plans for the football stadium, which is happening by the way, and all the sports teams are progressing. Football got further this year than EVER before, hockey is going strong, men's soccer is getting better by the year. Success doesn't happen overnight. Success has been MArty's vision since he started working here and he has achieved much of it. But it is not his fault that a creep took pictures of players, and that a coach went too far and had to pay for it. I think right now more than ever Marty needs support and not a bunch of low life haters. Hate all you want though, you'll see, Marty is going no where. He's making his mark on UNH, and UNH would be one sad school if he ever CHOSE to leave.
                    Nice troll, but no sane co-worker would post this information in something that is currently in litigation, and then identify themselves as a co-worker.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Yes, Umile and McDonnell are the best coaches that UNH has. And the only reason they have stayed here and not taken bigger job opportunities in the past 10 years is BECAUSE of Marty Scarano.
                      If you say so. I'm guessing that coaching at their alma maters probably has a little something to do with it too. But don't let that get in the way of you bigging up your boss' role in keeping these guys on board.

Okay. I am guessing you have no idea who Marty is as a person. The news only covers the surface, the facts. And the fact was Yes he was fired. But he was fired for almost assaulting one of his players, which by the way, is caught on TAPE and the girl is pressing charges.
                      Sounds like a news flash to everyone but you. Just curious - what exactly does it show Coach "almost" doing? Care to share, or do I feel one of those "you're just going to have to trust me on this" moments coming on ...

Marty is going no where. There are amazing plans for the football stadium, which is happening by the way, and all the sports teams are progressing.
                      There's that "amazing" thing again. Did BB35 draw up the engineering plans himself?? Now THAT would be amazing.

Success doesn't happen overnight. Success has been MArty's vision since he started working here and he has achieved much of it. But it is not his fault that a creep took pictures of players, and that a coach went too far and had to pay for it. I think right now more than ever Marty needs support and not a bunch of low life haters. Hate all you want though, you'll see, Marty is going no where. He's making his mark on UNH, and UNH would be one sad school if he ever CHOSE to leave.
                      Maybe success doesn't happen overnight, but 14 years is hardly "overnight" now, is it? When does the big plan that only the current AD is privy to finally kick in, with all guns blazing? 20 years? 25 years?? Whebever he maxes out his State pension??? I mean, if it's going to take a long time, just let us know, so we can all just kick back and "go with the complacency flow" for another decade or so ...

Comment

"this information", all I said was the stadium will happen... which it will, come on, i'm thinking in the "blue skies" way
                        The stadium will happen just like the Red Sox will be building a new Fenway...eventually

Comment

...Football got further this year than EVER before, hockey is going strong, men's soccer is getting better by the year.
                          Also good/great years for women's cross country, women's basketball, volley ball, field hockey, America East academic honor roll. There are lots of good things happening for the 'cats. While I agree that the men's b-ball situation is getting old, I don't think firing the AD is the solution.

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          Nice troll, but no sane co-worker would post this information in something that is currently in litigation, and then identify themselves as a co-worker.
                          Seriously. If actually a UNH employee and he/she is found out there will be a reprimand for sure.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I have no time to argue with you all, clearly you are all pretty hard headed and hate Marty no matter what I say.... the only EDUCATED one posting on this thread. So with that i'll leave, I just couldn't see this thread anymore posting such inaccurate info and not say something. Get back to your own lives and stop trying to destroy someone else's. It's wrong, immature, bad karma, and wasteful. Goodbye
                            Too bad your boss didn't take your advice and cautions before destroying Coach McCloskey's career.

Now ... about that tape you've apparently seen ...

Comment

thank you. you are sane.
                              Hardly. I masquerade as a sane person by not posting most of my thoughts, one of which is that having an "off the scale" reputation with only 11 posts (I think you actually had it with 3 posts) must be a record. Way to poke the hornet's nest.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Now ... about that tape you've apparently seen ...
                                That's the Deep Throat/Edward Snowden moment of UNH athletics waiting to happen, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X