UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but in NH you don't need a reason to fire someone. You can get fired because your boss doesn't like the color of your shirt.
    It is called "at will" employment and it is legal in all states except Montana. An employer, based on their company policy, can get rid of you at any time. Of course, if you have a contract with them I believe cause is needed to void the contract.
    Last edited by scoreboard; 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
      It is called "at will" employment and it is legal in all states except Montana. An employer, based on their company policy, can get rid of you at any time. Of course, if you have a contract with them cause is needed to void the contract I believe.
      Hence the difference between Coach McCloskey (contract employee) and the part-timer (at will, no doubt).
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        The UNH Athletic Department sounds like a really *interesting* place to work nowadays.

Talk about coming to work, never knowing what to expect. Other than losing your job, of course.

Interesting to see BB35 hasn't hung the alleged perpetrator out to dry in the media (yet). Lessons learned?

Not to dismiss the allegations out of hand without having a little more info to draw conclusions with ... but is anyone else getting any modern day "Salem Witch Hunt" vibes off of this whole situation yet?
        Tune in to the news tonight...this isn't a good situation. Downright nasty.

Comment

Started the Boston news on WBZ
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Here is the employee's picture and story...

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/0...n-locker-room/

Comment

Not only Durham police involved.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS03/140309604

DURHAM – Complaints of misconduct against a fired University of New Hampshire men's basketball director involve allegations that he may have engaged in "voyeurism" during a game at the University of Vermont in January, a UVM police official said.

Scott A. Weitzell is at the center of a joint criminal investigation involving UNH and UVM police. He was arrested by Newmarket police Feb. 21 on charges he tried to hide his cellphone from authorities and resisted arrest.

UNH officials have said little about the investigation, but the allegations stem from a UNH men's basketball game against the University of Vermont in Burlington, Vt., on Jan. 20, according to UVM Deputy Chief Tim Bilodeau.

Bilodeau said his department was contacted by UNH police a couple of weeks ago and told that they were investigating an athletic staff member from the basketball team who may have been involved in "voyeurism" in the men's basketball locker room.

According to Bilodeau, the complaint involved only UNH athletes who played in the game at UVM.

The 50-year-old Weitzell was director of operations for UNH men's basketball and has since been terminated from the job.

Meanwhile, UNH Police Chief Paul Dean confirmed that Weitzell was arrested during the execution of a search warrant at his Newmarket home.

"Weitzell is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation into allegations of invasion of privacy by the UNH Police Department," Dean said this morning.

Weitzell, of 75 Elm St., Newmarket, was charged with attempting to falsify physical evidence and resisting arrest or detention.

"There's an active criminal investigation involving Mr. Weitzell at this time. Therefore, we will not be making further comment at this time," Newmarket police Lt. Kyle True said.

Weitzell was released on $3,000 personal recognizance bail and was ordered to stay away from the UNH campus unless he's accompanied by a police officer. He was also ordered to have no contact with any staff, employees or athletes at UNH.

UNH has scheduled a news conference at the police department for today at 4 p.m.

UNH spokesman Erika Mantz confirmed that Weitzell was a part-time staff member and that he is no longer employed. Weitzell indicated in court paperwork that he worked in the athletics department for the past 12 years.

In a statement issued Monday, UNH said only that a staff member had been fired over misconduct allegations involving student athletes and that UNH police were investigating.

According to the Newmarket police complaints filed at the Brentwood Circuit Court, Weitzell is accused of concealing his cellphone "with the purpose to impair its verity or availability while it was the subject of a search warrant and criminal investigation." Police also allege that he refused to place his hands behind his back when he was arrested at his home.
              At this point, Weitzell has not been charged by UVM police.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Yowser, when it rains, it pours on my alma mater.

Comment

Don't worry folks. Our AD has been around the block a few times in his 35 years in college athletics, and knows what he's doing. I'm 100% confident he will sort this all out immediately. After all, you can't blame him for this one ... the alleged perp has been around for 12 years ferchrissakes, he obviously came in under someone else's ... (doing quick math, scratching head) ... oops, never mind ...
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Don't worry folks. Our AD has been around the block a few times in his 35 years in college athletics, and knows what he's doing. I'm 100% confident he will sort this all out immediately. After all, you can't blame him for this one ... the alleged perp has been around for 12 years ferchrissakes, he obviously came in under someone else's ... (doing quick math, scratching head) ... oops, never mind ...
                    Chuck, I get that you don't like Marty... That's clear, and BTW! I'm no huge fan either!! :-)

But please explain what you're insinuating he did wrong here?

1. Guy was fired immediately
                    2. Press was notified (and unlike with Coach M, probably with appropriate language in the statement this time)

So, are you suggesting the behavior should have been caught in the last 12 years and he is such a nincompoop that he missed all the signs? Are you saying he was aware and complicit?

I'm honestly confused.
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                      Chuck, I get that you don't like Marty... That's clear, and BTW! I'm no huge fan either!! :-)

But please explain what you're insinuating he did wrong here?

1. Guy was fired immediately
                      2. Press was notified (and unlike with Coach M, probably with appropriate language in the statement this time)

So, are you suggesting the behavior should have been caught in the last 12 years and he is such a nincompoop that he missed all the signs? Are you saying he was aware and complicit?

I'm honestly confused.
                      The incident happened on Jan. 20th...the senior administration just found out about this according to Huddleston's statement. This is likely going to cost Marty his job. No doubt in my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        The incident happened on Jan. 20th...the senior administration just found out about this according to Huddleston's statement. This is likely going to cost Marty his job. No doubt in my mind.
                        I get what you're saying, but it's not clear from the article.

It says the AD and senior UNH officials learned about this on Feb 20th. I assumed senior Officials included Hudd. The article is quite ambiguous as regards the timeline of events. Confusing. Doesn't say when the athlete filed the complaint. Strange.

Meanwhile, this guy looks like the quintessential super-creep.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          I get what you're saying, but it's not clear from the article.

It says the AD and senior UNH officials learned about this on Feb 20th. I assumed senior Officials included Hudd. The article is quite ambiguous as regards the timeline of events. Confusing. Doesn't say when the athlete filed the complaint. Strange.

Meanwhile, this guy looks like the quintessential super-creep.
                          They found out from an athlete according to this article from Union Leader...Marty gets a pass...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS03/140309604

Comment

Originally posted by ListenToThis
                            Hey Chuck. How about you stop criticizing one of the hardest jobs at the university and go do your own. Marty has done an amazing job the past almost 14 years and it's not his fault **** happens. It's a big school, how about you try not to blame one human being for everything that happens in the athletic department. Doesn't seem realistic does it? Stop being so ignorant and bashing a man just doing his job to the best of his ability when you have no real facts to your stupid posts. Marty does a great job. and ANYONE he works will tell you the same. And what's wrong with being optimistic? I'd say Blue Skies isn't a bad name at all. Grow up.
                            How was lunch today with Marty? Did you make him a good sandwich?

Comment

Then you should be fired as well. You, obviously, are part of the problem..!!

Comment

Originally posted by ListenToThis
                                Marty does a great job. and ANYONE he works will
                                What was it that M.C. Hammer said? "Can't touch this."
                                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                                X