Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Real good post wildcatdc.

I just want to comment on one aspect of this whole situation.
    Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

And my struggle is that the administration's actions are very much congruent with the player's accusations, and are generally asymmetric in the other case. Until the minority view is disproven or considered without merit, it doesn't go away, and we have a he said/she said circus. This doesn't make the majority posters here right, and doesn't make the minority posters here wrong. (BTW, I will finally go on the record as saying that I am inclined to believe the Coach. That stated, I have not, and will not make up my mind decisively until the investigative effort is exhausted).
    Often times when it comes to students the administrators will easily side with them. Typically coaches/ teachers don't get to have much of a say/defense. Whether you agree with it or not, it happens.

An example: When I was in high school one day we had a substitute teacher. One of the students was kinda being a pain in the butt and the substitute made a comment to him.(I kinda forget the exact details, it was awhile ago, but nothing too egregious) Well that kid didn't like it and went to the principal's office (during the same class too ) to complain and the substitute teacher was fired by the end of the day. Again I don't know all the details but I doubt the sub had much of a say in the decision.

Another example is at the same high school one of the staff members (wasn't a teacher) called a couple students "morons". Students told the principal and the person was fired on the spot. Now I think the school was looking to get rid of this person but that gave them a great opportunity to pull the trigger right then and there (sound familiar?)

Now obviously my examples are much, much different than the McCloskey situation. But the point I'm trying to make is usually schools & administrators will be quick to side with the student/athlete rather than the teacher/coach. No matter the real truth. Especially if they've been looking for any excuse to get rid of the guy because they feel he's dragging the program down. And sometimes the actions/consequences handed down by administrators will be swift and doesn't always "fit the crime". Again, especially if they want the guy gone. That could explain the overreaction by the school to fire coach for a 'minor' incident. Certainly you feel like if the guy has been there 20 years it would have to be pretty bad. who knows. Obviously, as you said, facts could certainly come out that say the firing was justified. But until it does, and from what I've heard/read of the who situation, I don't think that it was necessary to fire him.

And JB I agree with you. The university has gotten so much bad press from this that someone needs to and will be held responsible for the whole debacle. Who and when will that happen are the questions. Only time will tell on that one I guess.
    Last edited by Ryan422; 02-20-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

" I am REALLY confused by folks who think the administration should be communicating every detail, rationale, opinion, etc. That's simply ridiculous. Anyone who has watched a particularly high-profile HR action take place knows that for liability and process-oriented reasons, you simply don't expound upon these types of matters, ESPECIALLY while they are in flight. To be clear, you often don't see the gory details, even AFTER the decisions have been rendered, investigations completed, lawsuits filed/settled/decided, etc. To expect that such a high-level firing (especially for cause) would produce reams of open-kimono exposure to the general public is a little naive."

Could it be we have someone who actually speaks with clarity??? Hold on while I pick myself off the ground. Imagine that concept...that nobody involved-coaches, players, administrators- owes the fans an explanation.

"don't want to believe the one depiction, but it happened, and Coach was rightfully dismissed. OR, it was in fact the less dramatic depiction, and the firing was almost undoubtedly unjust. THE PROBLEM IS , BOTH VIEWS EXIST. "
      I'm riding shotgun with ya Wildcat but there is one more scenerio... was this the final blow... were there other incidents that led up to this being the one that tipped the scale. Your post is exceptional on many levels and I agree with all you've written. I will respectfully add that common sense would indicate NOBODY wants to go thru something like this and for it to get this far would indicate either it was worse than reported OR there were more signs of the coach losing control and the control of his program.
      Speaking of control, there was one post out here claiming the coach was only five foot something while the player was over six feet. SO WHAT...doesn't matter how big someone is.. it's about CONTROL...something he had obviously lost!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
        Real good post wildcatdc.

I just want to comment on one aspect of this whole situation.

Often times when it comes to students the administrators will easily side with them. Typically coaches/ teachers don't get to have much of a say/defense. Whether you agree with it or not, it happens.

An example: When I was in high school one day we had a substitute teacher. One of the students was kinda being a pain in the butt and the substitute made a comment to him.(I kinda forget the exact details, it was awhile ago, but nothing too egregious) Well that kid didn't like it and went to the principal's office (during the same class too ) to complain and the substitute teacher was fired by the end of the day. Again I don't know all the details but I doubt the sub had much of a say in the decision.

Another example is at the same high school one of the staff members (wasn't a teacher) called a couple students "morons". Students told the principal and the person was fired on the spot. Now I think the school was looking to get rid of this person but that gave them a great opportunity to pull the trigger right then and there (sound familiar?)

Now obviously my examples are much, much different than the McCloskey situation. But the point I'm trying to make is usually schools & administrators will be quick to side with the student/athlete rather than the teacher/coach. No matter the real truth. Especially if they've been looking for any excuse to get rid of the guy because they feel he's dragging the program down. And sometimes the actions/consequences handed down by administrators will be swift and doesn't always "fit the crime". Again, especially if they want the guy gone. That could explain the overreaction by the school to fire coach for a 'minor' incident. Certainly you feel like if the guy has been there 20 years it would have to be pretty bad. who knows. Obviously, as you said, facts could certainly come out that say the firing was justified. But until it does, and from what I've heard/read of the who situation, I don't think that it was necessary to fire him.

And JB I agree with you. The university has gotten so much bad press from this that someone needs to and will be held responsible for the whole debacle. Who and when will that happen are the questions. Only time will tell on that one I guess.
        Agreed, Ryan... I think it's a symptom of a hair-trigger litigious society.
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawkieguy44 View Post
          "

"don't want to believe the one depiction, but it happened, and Coach was rightfully dismissed. OR, it was in fact the less dramatic depiction, and the firing was almost undoubtedly unjust. THE PROBLEM IS , BOTH VIEWS EXIST. "
          I'm riding shotgun with ya Wildcat but there is one more scenerio... was this the final blow... were there other incidents that led up to this being the one that tipped the scale. Your post is exceptional on many levels and I agree with all you've written. I will respectfully add that common sense would indicate NOBODY wants to go thru something like this and for it to get this far would indicate either it was worse than reported OR there were more signs of the coach losing control and the control of his program.
          Speaking of control, there was one post out here claiming the coach was only five foot something while the player was over six feet. SO WHAT...doesn't matter how big someone is.. it's about CONTROL...something he had obviously lost!
          Agreed with your alternative scenario.... Somewhere way back on this thread, I wondered aloud whether this was the culmination of a series of incidents.

Comment

https://soundcloud.com/espn-new-hamp...ess-kevin-paul
            Interesting interview with kevin dupont of globe discussing his reporting of the mccloskey situation.

Comment

oops. soundcloud.com/espn-new-hampshire/globess-kevin-paul

Comment

Hoop team loses to UVM last night by 35 at home....but I guess Marty has the program moving in the right direction.....

Comment

oops, forgot....loss #20.....

Comment

In the audio interview with Kevin Paul Dupont of the Globe linked in this thread (https://soundcloud.com/espn-new-hampshire/boston-globess-kevin-paul) Kevin says McCloskey was given a 3 year extension in the summer of '13.
                    This is odd to me as
                    (A): There was no press release on the website (http://unhwildcats.com/sports/wice/2013-14/news)
                    (B): McCloskey was pretty adamant publicly the last time he got an extension (2009? 2010?) that it would be his last.
                    (C): IF the AD were looking to dump him for results related reasons why would they have given him a 3 year extension over the summer?

I can't wrap my head around this little bit of info.

EDIT: Dupont was also shown the termination letter and relays that there was no mention of prior transgressions in it, it was solely based around this one incident.
                    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 02-21-2014, 07:56 AM.
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

In related news ... word has reached me from multiple sources that BB35 has just recently begun cracking down and restricting access to the press box at the Whittemore Center. The move appears to be targeted towards at least two people who have had the nerve to take public stances supporting Coach McCloskey, and criticizing UNH's handling of his dismissal. One of those people is a prominent media member whose name would be familiar to anyone who's followed the UNH Men's and Women's Hockey programs over the years.

I guess when it comes to "The House That Marty Built", desperate times call for desperate (territorial) measures ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        In related news ... word has reached me from multiple sources that BB35 has just recently begun cracking down and restricting access to the press box at the Whittemore Center. The move appears to be targeted towards at least two people who have had the nerve to take public stances supporting Coach McCloskey, and criticizing UNH's handling of his dismissal. One of those people is a prominent media member whose name would be familiar to anyone who's followed the UNH Men's and Women's Hockey programs over the years.

I guess when it comes to "The House That Marty Built", desperate times call for desperate (territorial) measures ...
                        This person you are talking about needs to make this public....If they do, it becomes a bigger disaster for UNH Athletics.
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

These started appearing on the press boxes during the Vermont weekend:
                          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                            These started appearing on the press boxes during the Vermont weekend:
                            "Press box is for working media only"???

Um....maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't the media assigned to specific press box seats at the Whitt? Which means they are all "working media"??

What is "non-working" media??
                            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Um....maybe I'm missing something here, but aren't the media assigned to specific press box seats at the Whitt? Which means they are all "working media"??

Compuserve, Newsweek (in hardcopy), MySpace....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And yes, this is the most ridiculous sign imaginable. Petty, immature.

EDIT: At least it was in the correct font.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Not for women's games...because there are rarely any media in attendance..other than a long time reporter/videographer who is credentialed by the athletic department, and myself, who is not.

No big deal for me, I am only in the press box when I edit photos that are then passed on to the team's SID (as they have been for the past five seasons - home and away) for use by UNH on the web site or where ever they like. Gratis, and in most cases without credit. Ironically, the last photos of mine they used were for the Ohio State weekend.

Ohio State photos
                                Last edited by Hux; 02-21-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X