UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Ecat...there is not enough wattage in the world to enlighten you....you're an idiot....

Comment

• Originally posted by Czarry View Post
      Ecat...there is not enough wattage in the world to enlighten you....you're an idiot....
      Good one Rook!

Got the definition of revenue under your belt yet?
      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
        One more thing in regards to football vs hockey that I haven't seen mentioned.

While the football culture has certainly grown, it is my opinion that much of this is due to the fact that most of these kids have grown up never knowing the Patriots to be a bad team. Of course they are likely to prefer football.

Will that continue if the Pats return to mediocrity when Belichick/Brady retire?
        Are we talking players, or are we talking alums/fans? On the former, UNH has roughly 40% (roughly 40 out of 100) players from either NH, MA or Maine. The rest are from elsewhere, with a high concentration from NY, NJ and PA. CT and VT also tend to be NYG areas.

If we're talking about local "fair weather football support" generated over the last decade or so ... time will tell, no doubt.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
          In my freshman year I did a research paper on revenue generating collegiate sports. As I recall, athletics quoted me a net profit of $100k at that time (attendance is way down now though).

I was also, for many years, a participant in the "Spirit Focus Group" with the athletics department.

I felt that part of the apathy of the students was due to the fact that tickets were "free," at least in the sense that they never really see the costs directly.

I suggested that perhaps a student season ticket was an option, as is done at other schools like BC, figuring that if kids were more likely to regularly show up and stay if they had to pay out of pocket and couldn't just show up and get free tickets. It would be an investment for them.

I was told that this was a non starter, because athletics depends on hockey being part of the student athletics fee to fund the rest of the department.
          The majority of the student body never uses that Athletic Fee and the school makes a ton off of it for nothing.
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Are we talking players, or are we talking alums/fans? On the former, UNH has roughly 40% (roughly 40 out of 100) players from either NH, MA or Maine. The rest are from elsewhere, with a high concentration from NY, NJ and PA. CT and VT also tend to be NYG areas.

If we're talking about local "fair weather football support" generated over the last decade or so ... time will tell, no doubt.
            I'm talking about the fans/alumni, especially students in the last decade. The passion for hockey in the student body, imo, has waned as these kids who grew up with a good Pats team have started coming through the university.

I've said it before, but it seems to me that kids don't go to see hockey...they go to be seen at hockey because it's the thing to do. They're not really fans, won't travel to watch the team, and good forbid it cuts into party time (better skip out during second intermission). Funny, I never had a problem getting my share of drinks in (and his, hers, and his as well) before getting to the game.
            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              The majority of the student body never uses that Athletic Fee and the school makes a ton off of it for nothing.
              Right, which was why I also suggested having the standard fee to cover the other sports, with hockey being separate. But athletics likes when students don't use tickets, especially for hockey, because they can sell those tix a "second" time. During the Spirit Focus Group sessions, iirc, athletics claimed that the students only picked up their full allotment of tix for Maine, and on average only picked up about 2/3.
              113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

• Originally posted by freak View Post
                I'm talking about the fans/alumni, especially students in the last decade. The passion for hockey in the student body, imo, has waned as these kids who grew up with a good Pats team have started coming through the university.

I've said it before, but it seems to me that kids don't go to see hockey...they go to be seen at hockey because it's the thing to do. They're not really fans, won't travel to watch the team, and good forbid it cuts into party time (better skip out during second intermission). Funny, I never had a problem getting my share of drinks in (and his, hers, and his as well) before getting to the game.
                I usually stand at the student end near the band for the first and third periods (opposite end for second), and although I agree that some of the students are there primarily to send selfie Instagrams to their friends and post on Facebook, no doubt to some who are standing right next to themselves, but many are really into the games, rail on the opposing goalie throughout the games, try to get the rest of the crowd energized after opposing goals, etc. Without the students, Lake Whitt would be Morgue Whitt. However, I did note the early exodus after UVM scored those two goals with about 10 minutes left last night. A lot of season ticket holders left early also, presumably "to beat the traffic." But, I give all of them credit for showing up, unlike the thousand or more corporate season ticket holders whose seats remain empty most games.

Good luck to the Wildcats and you UNH fans at Lake Whitt tonight; I must support my other team in Watertown tonight; the Falcons got shut out 3-0 in Storrs last night.
                Last edited by Snively65; 02-08-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  However, I did note the early exodus after UVM scored those two goals with about 10 minutes left last night. A lot of season ticket holders left early also, presumably "to beat the traffic."
                  So what you're saying is some fans quit on the team a minute or so AFTER the team quit on themselves?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    So what you're saying is some fans quit on the team a minute or so AFTER the team quit on themselves?
                    No, not what I meant, as I do not think that our players quit on themselves last night, and from the box score, it does not appear to me that they quit on themselves tonight either. I think that UVM is simply a better team at this point in the season; too bad that we did not face them earlier. But, the Cats have four winnable games to finish the regular season, which should give them home ice for the play-in game, and if they can hang onto seventh place, they can go on the road and try to take two of three from a team other than BC. Will write more on the more appropriate season thread.

Comment

Snively, you weren't watching the same game I was last night. How about UVM's third goal which was scored like a casual 3-on-2 in stick practice? Or how about the night before? They battle back but the second UVM matched their intensity, they folded. Two goals in a minute plus was enough for me. If they quit, and they did, why should I not do the same? Considering that it was close to 10:30, my drive is an hour, and my wife and I both had to work in the morning, I thought it was a prudent choice. They played hard the week before, that's why they beat Notre Dame. This weekend they didn't, bottom line, and they lost two. They should be embarrassed. But wait, they should have been embarrassed after Friday night's loss and how did they react? By giving up two goals in the first period. Little or no talent, at least play hard like you care. Didn't see that at all this weekend unfortunately. And from what I saw, a lot of folks agreed with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Snively, you weren't watching the same game I was last night. How about UVM's third goal which was scored like a casual 3-on-2 in stick practice? Or how about the night before? They battle back but the second UVM matched their intensity, they folded. Two goals in a minute plus was enough for me. If they quit, and they did, why should I not do the same? Considering that it was close to 10:30, my drive is an hour, and my wife and I both had to work in the morning, I thought it was a prudent choice. They played hard the week before, that's why they beat Notre Dame. This weekend they didn't, bottom line, and they lost two. They should be embarrassed. But wait, they should have been embarrassed after Friday night's loss and how did they react? By giving up two goals in the first period. Little or no talent, at least play hard like you care. Didn't see that at all this weekend unfortunately. And from what I saw, a lot of folks agreed with me.
                        No, I did not see the game last night, as I was in Watertown watching my other team Bentley beat UConn 4-1. So, as I noted on our season thread, I was basing my comments on the box score, which does not mention a third UVM goal on Saturday night. I was only at Lake Whitt on Friday night, but I really think that UVM is playing much, much better than Notre Dame at this point in the season, and will give both BC and UML a hard time in the next three weeks. I think UVM could end up in third place ahead of NU, PC, and the rest. As has been noted on both threads, UNH simply does not have the talent to compete this year, either within Hockey East, the strongest conference in Div 1, or against the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, Union, or Cornell. Having the top spot in SOS most of the season has not helped us. Nether did losing our best player to injury for the last six weeks of the season. I do not think that our players quit.

Comment

The following message has just been disclosed to WIS - "The Worldwide Leader in Sports Sarcasm" - here in beautiful downtown Newfields, on the double-secret QT by highly questionable, compromised sources completely lacking in any objectivity and credibility:

The University of New Hampshire Police Department, in conjunction with the Durham Police Department and the Strafford County Attorney’s Office, is conducting an investigation into a pair of incidents that occurred on Friday 2/7/14 and Saturday 2/8/14 at the UNH Men’s Hockey games against the University of Vermont Cardinals. We are attempting to identify any potential witnesses that attended the aforementioned games at the UNH Whittemore Center. If you were a spectator at that specific event, and can identify any of the imposters who posed as UNH Men's Varsity hockey players, we are asking for your cooperation in contacting the UNH Police Department (xxx-xxx-xxxx) to speak with either ... or ... of the Durham Police Department (xxx) xxx-xxxx regarding your observations during the game. Assistance in this matter is entirely voluntary, but would be greatly appreciated.

We have attempted to reach out to the UNH AD's office for further comment and clarification, but have only just now received a coded message in a bottle floating down the Oyster River from someone indentifying himself only as "BS35 1/2", who has referred our inquiry to legal counsel, but wanted to reassure everyone else in Wildcat Country that "I am in control, and will do everything possible within my boundless powers to maintain things at the status quo ... speaking of which, isn't it great we re-signed the football coach? P.S. - might you know anyone who has a spare million or two to help us upgrade our dungeon? Kiss my ring ... BS35 1/2"

In a related story ... a Vermont man is under arrest this morning in Central Falls RI, and the bus he was driving for the University of Vermont Men's Varsity Hockey team has been impounded by RI State Police shortly after the man was seen by various local witnesses asking for directions "back to Winooski", and commenting that he "must have taken a wrong turn in Epping". Upon further inspection, acting based on tips from several of the UVM players regarding the presence of "funny munchkins on board", authorities first mistakenly arrested (and quickly released) the freshman UVM goalie after some confusion, and then proceeded to locate 2 cases of the munchkins located in a hidden bin under the bus driver's seat. Bail has been set by Judge Cianci at another dozen cases of the munchkins.

Comment

The following message has just been disclosed to WIS - "The Worldwide Leader in Sports Sarcasm" - here in beautiful downtown Newfields, on the double-secret QT by highly questionable, compromised sources completely lacking in any objectivity and credibility:

The University of New Hampshire Police Department, in conjunction with the Durham Police Department and the Strafford County Attorney’s Office, is conducting an investigation into a pair of incidents that occurred on Friday 2/7/14 and Saturday 2/8/14 at the UNH Men’s Hockey games against the University of Vermont Cardinals. We are attempting to identify any potential witnesses that attended the aforementioned games at the UNH Whittemore Center. If you were a spectator at that specific event, and can identify any of the imposters who posed as UNH Men's Varsity hockey players, we are asking for your cooperation in contacting the UNH Police Department (xxx-xxx-xxxx) to speak with either ... or ... of the Durham Police Department (xxx) xxx-xxxx regarding your observations during the game. Assistance in this matter is entirely voluntary, but would be greatly appreciated.

We have attempted to reach out to the UNH AD's office for further comment and clarification, but have only just now received a coded message in a bottle floating down the Oyster River from someone indentifying himself only as "BS35 1/2", who has referred our inquiry to legal counsel, but wanted to reassure everyone else in Wildcat Country that "I am in control, and will do everything possible within my boundless powers to maintain things at the status quo ... speaking of which, isn't it great we re-signed the football coach? P.S. - might you know anyone who has a spare million or two to help us upgrade our dungeon? Kiss my ring ... BS35 1/2"

In a related story ... a Vermont man is under arrest this morning in Central Falls RI, and the bus he was driving for the University of Vermont Men's Varsity Hockey team has been impounded by RI State Police shortly after the man was seen by various local witnesses asking for directions "back to Winooski", and commenting that he "must have taken a wrong turn in Epping". Upon further inspection, acting based on tips from several of the UVM players regarding the presence of "funny munchkins on board", authorities first mistakenly arrested (and quickly released) the freshman UVM goalie after some confusion, and then proceeded to locate 2 cases of the munchkins located in a hidden bin under the bus driver's seat. Bail has been set by Judge Cianci at another dozen cases of the munchkins.
                            Awesome!!! I'm still laughing!!!!
                            UNH

Comment

OMG Chuck...where DO you get these ideas? Like Scott...lol.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Other things that make you go, hmmmm ...

* Alleged criminal assault in the first period, yet NO ONE intervenes;
                                * Alleged victim does not miss a single shift, and plays the rest of the game;
                                * Alleged victim also goes on to play the entire game the following day.

Just sayin' ...
                                I've only been reading and have not contributed anything to this thread until today. Additionally I do not have any sources I can go to as the one person I know with any inside info on UNH hasn't heard anything on this topic yet. That being said I wanted to comment on this and just wonder aloud if this thread may have contributed indirectly to potential legal action.

It has been noted the player in question didn't immediately report and that others intervened and caused this whole mess. Between this topic being discussed so openly and the anonymous poster defending the player it seems very possible that this is all getting back to the player in question or people who may need to saves themselves or create negativity around McCloskey. This could be the player feeling pressure to try and justify the actions of reporting (after said anonymous poster told her about what's been said here) or even worse someone in the department pressuring her to press charges to try and spin the momentum in this situation in their favor (very long shot there as I feel that's a big line to cross).

I'm just speculating on all of this, and I am in no way saying the thread is to blame as I have found this thread to be really informational and interesting to follow. This is the type of discourse that is needed (mostly) to keep everything in check when something like this happens. I just found it odd that it took this long for a potential investigation to show up.

Comment

Working...
                                X