• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/140139776

UNH outlines plan for new stadium, athletic complex

Friday, January 31, 2014

DURHAM — With a focus on meeting its strategic priorities, the University of New Hampshire is moving forward with fundraising and planning for a new athletic complex that will benefit the university, Durham and the Seacoast region, and the state.

Athletic facilities and venues, including a new stadium, were identified as a priority in the campus’ master plan to improve recruitment, student satisfaction, and overall visibility in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

Information in a press release Friday afternoon said the complex was expected to cost $25 million and open in late 2015, the facility, which is referred to as the West Stadium, will offer increased and improved seating, state-of-the art broadcast and WiFi capability, concessions, restrooms, and a special student section. The original concrete section of the current East Side facility dates to the 1930s.

Plans for a new athletic complex were reviewed with the University System of New Hampshire board of trustees at its meeting Jan. 30, and the university will make a more detailed request at the April meeting.

“These initial steps are exciting for not only our students but for the greater Durham community and the state,” said UNH President Mark Huddleston. “A new athletic complex will help us build spirit and pride in the state’s flagship public university and directly benefit the local economy.”

Academic buildings remain the university’s highest priority and are consistently part of the university’s long-term planning, Huddleston stressed. Many science and technology buildings have been renovated over the last decade and Hamilton Smith is next on that list. Currently McConnell Hall is under renovation to upgrade classrooms and house the university’s sociology and psychology departments. Other academic buildings recently renovated include Parsons, James and DeMeritt halls, all academic buildings.

“A new venue with a lighted field will allow us to host more state, regional, and national competitions and events like Special Olympics, concerts, and high school championship games,” said UNH Athletic Director Marty Scarano. “Currently we have one of the most out-of-date stadiums in the entire nation. In looking at the new stadiums built at our peer institutions in the last decade, we found most all were funded with a combination of fundraising and internal financing.”

The new athletic complex will offer increased seating capacity of more than 10,000, a new home side on the opposite side of the existing field, and gathering and social spaces. The project will only move forward when the university raises $5 million in donations and the final project cost is no more than $25 million. The university plans to seek internal borrowing for the additional $20 million. The cost of this project will be absorbed within the university’s current five-year financial planning model.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
      http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S_01/140139776

UNH outlines plan for new stadium, athletic complex

Friday, January 31, 2014

DURHAM — With a focus on meeting its strategic priorities, the University of New Hampshire is moving forward with fundraising and planning for a new athletic complex that will benefit the university, Durham and the Seacoast region, and the state.

Athletic facilities and venues, including a new stadium, were identified as a priority in the campus’ master plan to improve recruitment, student satisfaction, and overall visibility in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

Information in a press release Friday afternoon said the complex was expected to cost $25 million and open in late 2015, the facility, which is referred to as the West Stadium, will offer increased and improved seating, state-of-the art broadcast and WiFi capability, concessions, restrooms, and a special student section. The original concrete section of the current East Side facility dates to the 1930s.

Plans for a new athletic complex were reviewed with the University System of New Hampshire board of trustees at its meeting Jan. 30, and the university will make a more detailed request at the April meeting.

“These initial steps are exciting for not only our students but for the greater Durham community and the state,” said UNH President Mark Huddleston. “A new athletic complex will help us build spirit and pride in the state’s flagship public university and directly benefit the local economy.”

Academic buildings remain the university’s highest priority and are consistently part of the university’s long-term planning, Huddleston stressed. Many science and technology buildings have been renovated over the last decade and Hamilton Smith is next on that list. Currently McConnell Hall is under renovation to upgrade classrooms and house the university’s sociology and psychology departments. Other academic buildings recently renovated include Parsons, James and DeMeritt halls, all academic buildings.

“A new venue with a lighted field will allow us to host more state, regional, and national competitions and events like Special Olympics, concerts, and high school championship games,” said UNH Athletic Director Marty Scarano. “Currently we have one of the most out-of-date stadiums in the entire nation. In looking at the new stadiums built at our peer institutions in the last decade, we found most all were funded with a combination of fundraising and internal financing.”

The new athletic complex will offer increased seating capacity of more than 10,000, a new home side on the opposite side of the existing field, and gathering and social spaces. The project will only move forward when the university raises $5 million in donations and the final project cost is no more than $25 million. The university plans to seek internal borrowing for the additional $20 million. The cost of this project will be absorbed within the university’s current five-year financial planning model.
      What interests me about this is that (as it was explained to me late summer/early fall, I guess) when the plan was conceived, they were going to land a $5M sponsor FIRST, before announcing. Then, they'd progress onto incremental fundraising and finally borrowing.

Not criticizing, as the original plans for PTP were $25M pledged/$25M matched to build it, and they had to shift course there. It's just unfortunate that we can't land that title sponsor. It was tough enough to rustle up single-digit millions to try to match PTP. Dragging out panother $5M is not going to be easy.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Scarano will leave his mark....this plan will bury the athletic department for years to come.....would love to see the business plan that shows the expected revenue would justify this capital expenditure...Scarano can't raise $500K let alone $5 million... by the way, where's our new hockey scoreboard.....Marty has been working on that one for about 5 years...!

Comment

Anyone else find it interesting (and somewhat annoying) that BS35 runs & hides behind the football program when anything bad happens elsewhere in his department?

* Fires Coach McCloskey, runs off to Orono for the rest of the week/weekend with the football team;
          * Coach McCloskey's account hits Foster's, BS35 "hits paydirt" with Coach McDonnell in Grovelfest 2014;
          * McCloskey & FOWH items hit the local media, and *presto* the football facility upgrade announcement is rolled out WAY early

Guess our boy Blue Skies *has* learned something over his 35 year career in college athletics admin ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Anyone else find it interesting (and somewhat annoying) that BS35 runs & hides behind the football program when anything bad happens elsewhere in his department?

* Fires Coach McCloskey, runs off to Orono for the rest of the week/weekend with the football team;
            * Coach McCloskey's account hits Foster's, BS35 "hits paydirt" with Coach McDonnell in Grovelfest 2014;
            * McCloskey & FOWH items hit the local media, and *presto* the football facility upgrade announcement is rolled out WAY early

Guess our boy Blue Skies *has* learned something over his 35 year career in college athletics admin ...
            You bet Chuck! I read that story this morning...nothing like screening the goalie when ya have to! The whole thing just reeks of "good ole boyism" to this newbie observer...shucks.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Did anyone catch Scarano hiding in one of the media boxes last night.... With all his friends.... Of which I counted zero.... All alone by himself.... One would think, at one of the more notable home games on the schedule., he would at least have a guest ... Perhaps schmoozing with a potential benefactor.... He does have to come up with only 25 million....
              Exactly what is this guy good at.... Surely he has no business experience, he's an incompetent fund raiser, at best, and he is obviously flawed as an administrator.....apparently he has no friends, as well....it's time to dump him.. He has turned into THE PLAGUE...!!!

Comment

Any sightings at the arena today? Same batch of *friends* as last night??

Comment

I swear I saw Scarano out there doin' the "0akie Shake."

Comment

Any sightings at the arena today? Same batch of *friends* as last night??
                    Didn't see him, but "Black Betty" was blaring again.

Whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam, whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam,
                    Mauve Marty banned a song,
                    Bam-a-lam,
                    With lyrics all wrong,
                    Bam-a-lam,
                    Brought the song back again,
                    Bam-a-lam,
                    Hopin' for a deflection
                    Bam-a-lam

Whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam, whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam
                    UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Didn't see him, but "Black Betty" was blaring again.

Whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam, whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam,
                      Mauve Marty banned a song,
                      Bam-a-lam,
                      With lyrics all wrong,
                      Bam-a-lam,
                      Brought the song back again,
                      Bam-a-lam,
                      Hopin' for a deflection
                      Bam-a-lam

Whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam, whoa, Mauve Marty, bam-a-lam
                      That's some funny chit
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Good stuff, Scott. You may have a future with WIS, y'know.

Saw this bit in today's Union Leader about the plans for the West Stadium football facility. Most interestingly (at least for me) was the description of how UNH plans to finance this project. They describe the need for UNH to raise the first $5MM, and then after that the University plans to fund the $20MM balance with their "savings". I'd be very interested to find out exactly how those *savings* originate, and whether there is ever at least a discussion or consideration of that going back to the general fund for, y'know, us taxpayers? At least in theory?? Don't get me wrong ... I'd love to see this happen, but (1) it all seems very much "funny money" to some degree, and (2) I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting on BS35's ability to find the first $5MM (although maybe he figured he'd kick-start that fund by, oh, let's say, *downsizing* a long-time coach with a healthy paycheck, possibly ...

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...140209902&NL=1

Comment

Not too surprisingly, the initial feedback from NH's elected officials is muted at best regarding the University System's plans to draw from reserves for this project. The pressure just got torqued up on BS35 to display his fundraising skills, as accumulated over those hallowed 35 years in athletics admin that he is so often reminding us about ...

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...140209740&NL=1

Comment

I read the UL story early this morning and then had to chuckle when I saw the front page of The New Hampshire a few hours later, which claimed the project is "gaining momentum." For all the decent journalists who have come through Durham, the school newspaper has been, and remains, a total joke.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Not too surprisingly, the initial feedback from NH's elected officials is muted at best regarding the University System's plans to draw from reserves for this project. The pressure just got torqued up on BS35 to display his fundraising skills, as accumulated over those hallowed 35 years in athletics admin that he is so often reminding us about ...

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...140209740&NL=1

I would be interested to hear what former UNH football player and State Senator, Lou D'Allesandro has to say about this project. As an alum and avid UNH football fan, I would love to see this happen. Long overdue IMO. The NH State Legislature has long been oppositional to funding for the University ever since I was a young kid in NH. This guy Chandler from the "North Country" is particularly adversarial to the University. Maybe he should head back to Maine where he came from
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                I read the UL story early this morning and then had to chuckle when I saw the front page of The New Hampshire a few hours later, which claimed the project is "gaining momentum." For all the decent journalists who have come through Durham, the school newspaper has been, and remains, a total joke.
                                Maybe the student wrote it before the plans were given out by Marty...
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X