Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    There is a site that comes up near the top of a Google search that shows a map for 2013 with 39 states where the highest paid employee is either the basketball or football coach, but no state with the hockey coach. Highest paid in NH, VT, DE, AK, and MT is the president; highest in SD, ND, MA, and NY is the med school dean, chair, or chancellor; highest in ME is the law school dean. Not sure how this site compares to USA Today.

I think that Huddleston has been the highest paid employee since he came to UNH; I doubt that he would have come otherwise. A few years ago, Umile was highest paid for one or two years, but the year(s) was/were when he received an extra deferred payment for not bolting to UMass, referenced by Greg.
    UConn mens BB Coach Jim Calhoun was the highest paid State of CT employee for many years.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      UConn mens BB Coach Jim Calhoun was the highest paid State of CT employee for many years.
      Still is in 2013, according to the map.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
        Maybe he's zippered the mouths of the athletic department, but he hasn't zippered the mouths of the fans. How about we greet every appearance by Scarano on the ice at the Whitt by loud "Boos" or "We want McCloskey... We want McCloskey!"
        How often does Scarano appear on the ice? Maybe the odd recognition of someone from the community for a good deed or on senior day, the interruption of either would reflect poorly on those attempting.
        Your best bet is to flag him down while he's circling the concourse, I spotted him at the Maine home game but he ducked in to one of the curtained booths before I could make contact. I've approached him as such to discuss other concerns in the past (Black Betty) and he'll listen, though he may not be able to say much on this topic for legal reasons.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          I have been watching this thread from afar in CT and I think it is commendable that most of the folks on this thread are backing the Coach. The entire sordid affair smacks of an administrator waiting for an excuse to get rid of someone he did not want under his employ any further. The ham handed way in which the UNH brass has gone about things is a lawyers dream. Hence my post, I unfortunately do not see the Coach being reinstated, I envision a protracted legal action in which the Coach will receive an apology and financial renumeration for his losses from this incident, or, a very quiet, financially lucrative gag order settlement with the Coach. Either way, this entire incidents financial outcome will be borne by the taxpayers of New Hampshire, unless the University has insurance for this type of incident. The one thing I am surprised to see is that the accuser's camp has not sued the Coach or the University (yet). Probably because no lawyer in his right mind would touch such a loser case. I will keep watching with great interest and hope things are made right.
          Have to agree. I have a lot of respect for Brian and one of the reasons is because he is bright thoughtful guy. I think even he knows that he is not going to get his job back. But he is hoping, and I think he will get, for a written clarification that the choice of words in the press release were not the right ones and that the University is withdrawing them because of the impression that they left. He will also get some sort of monetary settlement and perhaps the reinstitution of his benefits, especially his medical insurance, for a period of time. And, yes, this will cost the University (and the state) money. And it will put even more of a focus on the athletic department and how it is run.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            I have been watching this thread from afar in CT and I think it is commendable that most of the folks on this thread are backing the Coach. The entire sordid affair smacks of an administrator waiting for an excuse to get rid of someone he did not want under his employ any further. The ham handed way in which the UNH brass has gone about things is a lawyers dream. Hence my post, I unfortunately do not see the Coach being reinstated, I envision a protracted legal action in which the Coach will receive an apology and financial renumeration for his losses from this incident, or, a very quiet, financially lucrative gag order settlement with the Coach. Either way, this entire incidents financial outcome will be borne by the taxpayers of New Hampshire, unless the University has insurance for this type of incident. The one thing I am surprised to see is that the accuser's camp has not sued the Coach or the University (yet). Probably because no lawyer in his right mind would touch such a loser case. I will keep watching with great interest and hope things are made right.
            The only piece of any forthcoming litigation which *might* be insurable could be the libel aspect, as otherwise a wrongful termination dispute is almost always an uninsurable employment dispute risk. I can't claim any insight on UNH's risk management profile, but overall I would be very surprised if the brunt of any financial settlement would not be borne by the University, and hence the taxpayers.

As far as litigation coming from the accuser ... I don't expect to see that, and for multiple reasons. First, the accuser's concerns (as apparently voiced by her parents, after the urging of the player's roommates during recess on the playground ) for better or for worse were addressed by BS35 when Coach was dismissed. Secondly, to file litigation would lift the cover of anonymity that still surrounds the player and her actions, and that seems counter to her current interests - at least so long as she remains part of the UNH Women's Hockey program. Third, even if any of this was legally viable ... what are the player's damages? Was she injured? She didn't even miss a shift, and apparently is continuing to play without incident. Was she emotionally scarred from being yelled at? Seems a bit unlikely, considering she was giving as good as she got verbally at the time. Fourth, any action against the Coach would basically have to go to the issue of alleged intentional conduct by Coach in causing the harm - again uninsurable, and I doubt Coach is rolling in a lot of spare change these days.

Fifth, and to my mind the most revealing reason I don't expect to see anything ... the only remaining potentially viable action to be taken against UNH by the accuser would be for negligent hiring and supervision of its Women's Hockey head coach and his practices in that job. And guess what? There is no past history of any similar (alleged) transgressions by Coach. Coach had been working under BS35 for the latter's entire tenure at the school, and a few years before that too. IF there was indeed such a history, and the school was on notice of past poor conduct, then there would arguably be legal notice to UNH (BS35) that they had an issue on their hands with Coach, and thus should have done something to prevent such a further (alleged) incident.

We've seen some (anonymous) posters come on this thread, and on other past threads, to insinuate there is a "history" but none have provided any details, so that cannot be given any credibility. The people who have stood up for Coach are not hiding behind anonymity and I believe that speaks volumes. As an early post-event newspaper headline stated ... "the silence at UNH is deafening".
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The only "history" of which I'm aware is that Coach was quite the screamer. I saw an interview with Kacey Bellamy in which she said that she was scared the first time she heard Coach yell. He used to lose it on the refs quite often. Big deal. And from the stands, it certainly appears as if fatherhood had mellowed him out. I can't recall the last time I saw him give it to the refs.
              113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                The only "history" of which I'm aware is that Coach was quite the screamer. I saw an interview with Kacey Bellamy in which she said that she was scared the first time she heard Coach yell. He used to lose it on the refs quite often. Big deal. And from the stands, it certainly appears as if fatherhood had mellowed him out. I can't recall the last time I saw him give it to the refs.
                Is that any different than Umile (or other coaches)? You're probably too young to remember Umile's first years as a coach when he would be up on the dasher countless times during a season, in the face of the officials and, of course, all over his players. He was already a dad three times over when he was hired so I am not going to say fatherhood changed him. I think he mellowed because he got older, learned that sometimes you get more with a nice tone rather than an angry one. And, of course, he toned it down after he had his heart attack. But the central point here is that what McCloskey was accused of, and what others point to as his "history" are actions that Umile and probably every other head coach at UNH has taken over the past 25 years. This is why Brian's dismissal was so ludicrous. There are real reasons why Marty wanted Brian gone but I'm afraid we're never going to learn them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  There is a site that comes up near the top of a Google search that shows a map for 2013 with 39 states where the highest paid employee is either the basketball or football coach, but no state with the hockey coach. Highest paid in NH, VT, DE, AK, and MT is the president; highest in SD, ND, MA, and NY is the med school dean, chair, or chancellor; highest in ME is the law school dean. Not sure how this site compares to USA Today.

I think that Huddleston has been the highest paid employee since he came to UNH; I doubt that he would have come otherwise. A few years ago, Umile was highest paid for one or two years, but the year(s) was/were when he received an extra deferred payment for not bolting to UMass, referenced by Greg.
                  They updated the map to correct that...

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    Is that any different than Umile (or other coaches)? You're probably too young to remember Umile's first years as a coach when he would be up on the dasher countless times during a season, in the face of the officials and, of course, all over his players. He was already a dad three times over when he was hired so I am not going to say fatherhood changed him. I think he mellowed because he got older, learned that sometimes you get more with a nice tone rather than an angry one. And, of course, he toned it down after he had his heart attack. But the central point here is that what McCloskey was accused of, and what others point to as his "history" are actions that Umile and probably every other head coach at UNH has taken over the past 25 years. This is why Brian's dismissal was so ludicrous. There are real reasons why Marty wanted Brian gone but I'm afraid we're never going to learn them.
                    I honestly think every coach in HE over the last 25 years would have been fired at some point (perhaps excepting Coach York?) if what Coach McCloskey was purportedly fired for was the threshold for dismissal. Probably many multiple times over, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      They updated the map to correct that...

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your-states-highest-paid-employee-a-co-489635228
                      I think that this revised map probably represents 2008, when Umile received his deferred payment windfall; his base salary was considerably lower than Huddleston's that year, as it was in 2011, the only other year where data appear to be available online.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        What was the point of this post?

By putting "history" in quotes, and saying "Big deal," I think it should have been obvious that I don't consider Mac's temper and screaming to be of concern.
                        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
                          What was the point of this post?

By putting "history" in quotes, and saying "Big deal," I think it should have been obvious that I don't consider Mac's temper and screaming to be of concern.
                          Did I accuse you of denigrating McCloskey? No, I used the word "others". If I wanted to refer to you I would have used that word. You have not denigrated McCloskey but others have. And they have spoken about his alleged history of bad behavior to reinforce their point. My post was to refute the image that Brian was some sort of maniac outlier. He clearly is not. Agree?

Comment

Play nice, you two. We're on the same side. Anyway, here's an excerpt from the UNH Women's Hockey newsletter, which hit my desktop this morning, and contains some interesting insights into the way BS35 operates ...

-------------------

Time For A Change
                            I have served on the board of Friends of UNH Women’s Hockey in some capacity for over a decade. What I have to say now does not come lightly, and has taken a lot of thought. First, and foremost, I support, and believe in this team with all my heart, and will continue to do so. I have faith that Coaches Wood and Jones will continue to bring the team forward with the integrity and tradition that has always been UNH Hockey, but I feel compelled to resign from the board. While I cannot pass judgement on the circumstances leading to the abrupt dismissal of Coach McCloskey, as I did not witness the event in question, I most certainly have an opinion about the way the situation was handled, particularly with regard to the immediate and misleading press release. In a meeting with the Athletic Director, we were told that as board members, we were “agents” of the University, and therefore obliged to function in the best interest of the school. We were told that if we were to publicly voice our opinion, we could be subject to legal action. In that moment, I no longer felt like I was “working” (VOLUNTEERING) for the UNH Women’s Hockey team, but for an administration that, in the course of my tenure, has rarely, if ever shown it’s gratitude for our efforts. Indeed, the more we gave, the more they asked and took from us, and until I feel confident that my time and effort are going in the right direction – toward positively enhancing the student-athlete’s experiences, and growing and recruiting our fan base and supporters, not functioning as a puppet of the administration, I must resign from the board, effective immediately. I will continue to send recaps and news of team related events, but I will be doing so as a private citizen, a former player, and always, a fervent supporter of this team.

Wow. Not a pretty picture, is it? Call me naive if you will, but threatening litigation against VOLUNTEERS ... just wow. I'm speechless, and that takes some doing. And if BS35 is this heavy-handed with VOLUNTEERS, just imagine how he treats his dozens of minions - oops - "employees" ..

Again ... draw your own conclusions, folks.

Comment

Can anyone come up with a good reason not to fire Scarano....????

Comment

• Originally posted by Czarry View Post
                                Can anyone come up with a good reason not to fire Scarano....????
                                Ya the U could could let him resign to spend more time with his family but the family might gag at the thought of it
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X