UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for providing that link below!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Anybody else get the feeling that the girl who dropped into this thread a while ago to defend the U's actions is the roommate whose parents convinced the player's parents to send the administration an email?
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        Anybody else get the feeling that the girl who dropped into this thread a while ago to defend the U's actions is the roommate whose parents convinced the player's parents to send the administration an email?
        College age girls don't go around saying " ladies and gents."

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
          College age girls don't go around saying " ladies and gents."
          Good point. Or, maybe s/he threw it in at the end of their 3rd (and to date final) post to throw us off track?

Also had a brief chuckle in reading Coach McCloskey's contributions to the item in The New Hampshire, when he mentions the "Maxwell Smart code of silence" (which of course for those of us old enough to remember "Get Smart" back in the '60's, it was actually a cone of silence) currently surrounding BS35's department (and beyond). Quite appropos, given the comedic elements so obvious in both settings.

Come to think of it ... has anyone ever seen BS35 and Maxwell Smart together in the same room?

Seems like some storm clouds may be on the horizon to threaten Blue Skies' usually-sunny disposition?
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• [QUOTE=Chuck Murray;5869276]Good point. Or, maybe s/he threw it in at the end of their 3rd (and to date final) post to throw us off track?

Also had a brief chuckle in reading Coach McCloskey's contributions to the item in The New Hampshire, when he mentions the "Maxwell Smart code of silence" (which of course for those of us old enough to remember "Get Smart" back in the '60's, it was actually a cone of silence) currently surrounding BS35's department (and beyond). Quite appropos, given the comedic elements so obvious in both settings.

Come to think of it ... has anyone ever seen BS35 and Maxwell Smart together in the same room?

Seems like some storm clouds may be on the horizon to threaten Blue Skies' usually-sunny disposition? [/QUOTE
            ]
            Yeah Chuck totally get the Maxwell Smart reference and can visualize this playing out in our scenario...the letter of the other day points to when it was done right around a big football weekend ( how convenient) As if it would just go away and not be noticed somehow? Mkkkk Chief. (Maxwell Smart)
            Are the wheels coming off the U of NH athletic admin bus? Time will tell. As for now it looks quite shaky...Ooops my shoe is ringing gotta go!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Czarry View Post
              Seacoast online letter to the editor today, says it all... Goodbye Marty... The truth is difficult to conceal...you've zippered the mouths of the entire athletic department... But not for long....the dam is just beginning to leak...
              Maybe he's zippered the mouths of the athletic department, but he hasn't zippered the mouths of the fans. How about we greet every appearance by Scarano on the ice at the Whitt by loud "Boos" or "We want McCloskey... We want McCloskey!"

Comment

Going back to The New Hampshire item ...

* Is anyone else nauseated that (IF you believe the account provided) the complaint which apparently resulted in Coach's dismissal was initiated not so much by the player in question, but by her roommates after the fact ultimately convincing the player and/or the player's parents to generate the complaint in the first place? I mean, is this UNH or Millard Fillmore Middle School??

* Interesting to see Coach concluding with the comment that some pretty big media *fish* are circling his pond now. I would hate to see it get to that point, but when you "do an ostrich", stick your fingers in your ears and block out the negative feedback your actions have caused, and cynically hope everyone in this "Where's the next train wreck?" society eventually gets bored and moves on to the next mess, forgetting yours in the process ... well, then sometimes you get what's coming to you.

It would take some pretty big stones for anyone under BS35's supervision to step out on principle and vouch for Coach McCloskey.

There IS one person in that category who immediately comes to mind ... someone who has worked closely with Coach McCloskey in the past, pre-dates BS35 at the school, is virtually untouchable in their current position, probably financially set for life at this point in their career ... and is actually a UNH alum (unlike BS35) who also probably has about the highest name recognition in the entire State of NH.

If that person were to step out in even measured support of Coach McCloskey's quality of character, or at the very least work the "back channels" behind the scenes to bring this to a fair conclusion for their former colleague ...

... or said person can just hide in their job and "do an ostrich" too, and crawl along as just another minion in BS35's fiefdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Good point. Or, maybe s/he threw it in at the end of their 3rd (and to date final) post to throw us off track?

Seems like some storm clouds may be on the horizon to threaten Blue Skies' usually-sunny disposition?
                  Maxwell Smart was way ahead of his time, but I was in love with Agent 99, as was apparently "The Great One."

Comment

Interesting that you made that comment Chuck. When the story first became public, I made the same comment to a close contact of the coach in question,hoping that the coach would come forward in support of his colleague. Nothing has been said publicly by him that I have heard of. Someone who I know at the field house told me that the coach in question did say to this person that he wanted no part of the issue in question. I will not say who the source is,just that this person is above reproach. While I am on the thread, I would like to make folks aware that on Jan. 30,this Thurs,the UNH Board of Trustees will have its monthly meeting on the campus of Plymouth St.. The public portion will be from 5-6 PM. If a show of hands by the trustees present prevails, then the board will go into a non-public session to discuss matters such as personnel issues,legal issues,etc.. We can only hope that they see the light as I mentioned in a previous comment on this thread.

Comment

It would be unlikely for Umile to take on the man who gave him the lifetime contract. Nonetheless, surrogates for Umile have provided support to McCloskey, including in this thread, if you read and research the particulars.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        It would be unlikely for Umile to take on the man who gave him the lifetime contract.
                        Guess it depends on which "lifetime contract" we're talking about, 'Watcher. The one he agreed on with former UNH AD Judy Ray when she was a lame duck in early 2000 (see link below), or the one BS35 subsequently *ratified* in 2008?

http://www.uscho.com/2000/03/29/umil...ll-stay-at-unh

I've never seen the contract per se, but based on some pretty reliable sources, it's been my understanding Coach Umile has been safe for life for a LONG time (i.e. since 2000, not 2008). Just sayin' Coach may not be as beholden to BS35 as it may otherwise appear.

I need to find a way to earn one of these "lifetime contracts" in the private sector, much less two ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Guess it depends on which "lifetime contract" we're talking about, 'Watcher. The one he agreed on with former UNH AD Judy Ray when she was a lame duck in early 2000 (see link below), or the one BS35 subsequently *ratified* in 2008?

http://www.uscho.com/2000/03/29/umil...ll-stay-at-unh

I've never seen the contract per se, but based on some pretty reliable sources, it's been my understanding Coach Umile has been safe for life for a LONG time (i.e. since 2000, not 2008). Just sayin' Coach may not be as beholden to BS35 as it may otherwise appear.

I need to find a way to earn one of these "lifetime contracts" in the private sector, much less two ...
                          Umile won't say anything that can be attributed to him. And, really, why should he? An effective voice is one that is heard behind close doors. Knowing the man as I do, I can guarantee you that he has had conversations with Marty about Brian, I can guarantee you that he has had conversations with Marty (and others) about admissions, and I can guarantee you he has had conversations with Marty about the budget squeeze. But those concerns, which I know would have been made quite forcefully in private, are never fully enunciated to even those closest to the program, never mind the general public. It makes no sense for him to get on a soapbox since his main goal is to protect his turf, frayed as it has become over the past few years.

And Watcher, Chuck is correct. Judy Ray gave Umile the contract, not Marty. It came about after Mallen was let go at UMass. I remember the hue and cry among certain UNH loyalists at the time that the coach was a traitor. All along I thought he was doing the best thing he could to provide for himself and his family. Nothing wrong with that, especially at a university that is, shall we say, parsimonious at best. Striking while the iron was hot worked out for the coach. And as it did, more recently, for Coach McDonnell who also used the specter of UMass to cash in. BTW, a couple of months ago there was a USA Today article about the outrageous salaries given to college coaches and they cited numerous states where the highest paid state employee was the football coach, or in some cases the basketball coach, and in just one case the hockey coach. No state or names mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Umile won't say anything that can be attributed to him. And, really, why should he? An effective voice is one that is heard behind close doors. Knowing the man as I do, I can guarantee you that he has had conversations with Marty about Brian, I can guarantee you that he has had conversations with Marty (and others) about admissions, and I can guarantee you he has had conversations with Marty about the budget squeeze. But those concerns, which I know would have been made quite forcefully in private, are never fully enunciated to even those closest to the program, never mind the general public. It makes no sense for him to get on a soapbox since his main goal is to protect his turf, frayed as it has become over the past few years.

And Watcher, Chuck is correct. Judy Ray gave Umile the contract, not Marty. It came about after Mallen was let go at UMass. I remember the hue and cry among certain UNH loyalists at the time that the coach was a traitor. All along I thought he was doing the best thing he could to provide for himself and his family. Nothing wrong with that, especially at a university that is, shall we say, parsimonious at best. Striking while the iron was hot worked out for the coach. And as it did, more recently, for Coach McDonnell who also used the specter of UMass to cash in. BTW, a couple of months ago there was a USA Today article about the outrageous salaries given to college coaches and they cited numerous states where the highest paid state employee was the football coach, or in some cases the basketball coach, and in just one case the hockey coach. No state or names mentioned.
                            The hockey coach was New Hampshire according to many of the same studies.
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I have been watching this thread from afar in CT and I think it is commendable that most of the folks on this thread are backing the Coach. The entire sordid affair smacks of an administrator waiting for an excuse to get rid of someone he did not want under his employ any further. The ham handed way in which the UNH brass has gone about things is a lawyers dream. Hence my post, I unfortunately do not see the Coach being reinstated, I envision a protracted legal action in which the Coach will receive an apology and financial renumeration for his losses from this incident, or, a very quiet, financially lucrative gag order settlement with the Coach. Either way, this entire incidents financial outcome will be borne by the taxpayers of New Hampshire, unless the University has insurance for this type of incident. The one thing I am surprised to see is that the accuser's camp has not sued the Coach or the University (yet). Probably because no lawyer in his right mind would touch such a loser case. I will keep watching with great interest and hope things are made right.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                The hockey coach was New Hampshire according to many of the same studies.
                                There is a site that comes up near the top of a Google search that shows a map for 2013 with 39 states where the highest paid employee is either the basketball or football coach, but no state with the hockey coach. Highest paid in NH, VT, DE, AK, and MT is the president; highest in SD, ND, MA, and NY is the med school dean, chair, or chancellor; highest in ME is the law school dean. Not sure how this site compares to USA Today.

I think that Huddleston has been the highest paid employee since he came to UNH; I doubt that he would have come otherwise. A few years ago, Umile was highest paid for one or two years, but the year(s) was/were when he received an extra deferred payment for not bolting to UMass, referenced by Greg.

Comment

Working...
                                X