Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Well, I figured I would start my first ever thread (at least I can't remember ever starting one before). Anywho, Can Carey and company carry us to Lake Placid and possibly even beyond? Let the discussions begin
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Thanks for starting a new thread Saints#1.

Here is last night's recap from the Grand Forks Herald: http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/279260/

It's sometimes interesting to get another team's view on a game.
    SLU '97

Comment

Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
      Thanks for starting a new thread Saints#1.

Here is last night's recap from the Grand Forks Herald: http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/279260/

It's sometimes interesting to get another team's view on a game.
      You're very welcome! It is definitely interesting to hear how the opposing teams felt about the game. I find it odd that hardly any credit was given to St. Lawrence, who played a great game. Everything was about UND and how awful they played. Oh well, such is life, we will just have to keep at it tonight. After the article it's not looking like tonight will be easy. I expect UND to come out and take it to us, hopefully we play well enough to keep it interesting.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

http://www.undsports.com/mediaPortal...b_oem_id=13500
        Highlights from last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
          Well, I figured I would start my first ever thread (at least I can't remember ever starting one before). Anywho, Can Carey and company carry us to Lake Placid and possibly even beyond? Let the discussions begin
          FWIW, I think the Careys are going to do what the Careys are going to do. What matters most as far as getting to Lake Placid will rest on whether the D, the PK and goaltending thaf showed up last night will be what we see for the rest of the year or whether it will be the D, PK and goaltending that showed up at RIT last Saturday. If it's the former, we'll be in Placid and maybe beyond. If its the the latter version, maybe not. Right now, We're getting offense from everywhere, not just the Carey's. Wick is playing huge. I think Justin Baker is # 1 or 2 in the nation in scoring by D-men. Bayreuther is #1 or #2 among Freshmen D-men nationally. Doherty's line is scoring. (Doherty came really close with a nifty move last night). The third and fourth line freshmen are popping 'em in.

Everyone expects UND to come out flying tonight. I'm not so sure. What struck me watching the game and the post-game interviews was how completely shaken and beaten down their coach and captain looked and sounded. The Souix are rocking a lot of injuries. I like our chances again tonight.
          Last edited by bcarlisle; 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM.
          St. Lawrence University
          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
            What matters most as far as getting to Lake Placid will rest on whether the D, the PK and goaltending that showed up last night will be what we see for the rest of the year or whether it will be the D, PK and goaltending that showed up at RIT last Saturday.
            Couldn't agree with you more. We were a one line team last year and we saw how far that took us. This team has a lot more Skill and depth and can do so much more.

Counting down the time until game time.
            SLU '97

Comment

Like the title, go Saints!

Comment

IMO, just getting UND on schedule is a big win for the program.
                Getting out of Grand Forks with a pair of wins may not seem huge in light of Sioux's current record and state, but it would be. Count on them to bounce back, maybe tonight, maybe in the new year but they will. They don't rebuild and they dont miss the NCAA's very often.
                If this SLU team continues to gel, a win or a tie tonight could be huge in PW, if and when that time comes.
                Go Saints!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                  FWIW, I think the Careys are going to do what the Careys are going to do. What matters most as far as getting to Lake Placid will rest on whether the D, the PK and goaltending thaf showed up last night will be what we see for the rest of the year or whether it will be the D, PK and goaltending that showed up at RIT last Saturday. If it's the former, we'll be in Placid and maybe beyond. If its the the latter version, maybe not. Right now, We're getting offense from everywhere, not just the Carey's. Wick is playing huge. I think Justin Baker is # 1 or 2 in the nation in scoring by D-men. Bayreuther is #1 or #2 among Freshmen D-men nationally. Doherty's line is scoring. (Doherty came really close with a nifty move last night). The third and fourth line freshmen are popping 'em in.

Everyone expects UND to come out flying tonight. I'm not so sure. What struck me watching the game and the post-game interviews was how completely shaken and beaten down their coach and captain looked and sounded. The Souix are rocking a lot of injuries. I like our chances again tonight.
                  As an outsider would agree. From an SLU perspective you have to be very pleased with the offensive production at this point in time. In addition the opposition shot totals per game are very good ( 10 of your 15 games are under 28 shots in a game) which is a nice metric for winning. Consistent play between the pipes will put you in a solid position headed into the second half of the season. Good luck tonight.

Comment

Ok, can someone please tell me how UND's 2nd goal counted? I watched the UND broadcast and it appeared to show the puck hit the cross bar and never went into the net. The UND announcer even said the folks in the truck said it hit the pipe. How did the refs review that and call it a no goal on the ice and then call it a goal? I've seen a lot of things in college hockey, but that one takes the cake.

Boy was the officiating **** poor.
                    SLU '97

Comment

Missed the game so I don't have too much to add as to the loss tonight. I will point out that from what I heard from the 5 minutes of audio I did catch that Wenninger appears to be back in form. Thank god for this because with good goaltending this team can be a real threat. I am beyond satisfied with a split and considering the team meeting UND had and expecting them to come out firing tonight to only lose by one goal shows a pretty good effort. Clarkson for two next weekend and i'll be making it to both. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sweep the Knights in the season series and do it on back to back nights? ... To sleep per chance to dream

Comment

Ok, can someone please tell me how UND's 2nd goal counted? I watched the UND broadcast and it appeared to show the puck hit the cross bar and never went into the net. The UND announcer even said the folks in the truck said it hit the pipe. How did the refs review that and call it a no goal on the ice and then call it a goal? I've seen a lot of things in college hockey, but that one takes the cake.

I didn't catch the game tonight, but I did notice from last nights game that the officiating was making some mysterious call against the Saints. A few of the penalty calls were outragious, especially the extra 2 minutes on McGovern (I believe it was him?) for facemasking. That call was just outragious! The UND guy had our guy in a headlock and trying to drag him to the ground and we got an extra 2 minutes for facemasking? ... Suspect! Sounds like tonight was more of the same

Comment

Many, many moons ago I was told one of the problems with ECAC officials was that they were not homers like the old WCHA and CCHA. When you play out there....you have to expect the worst and it often happens. While I didn't see the games a look at the box scores show we spent a ton of time in the box this weekend. Last night we got away with it...tonight not so much and giving up the shortie really hurt. Sounds like the boys rallied hard in the third but too little too late and they couldn't get the equalizer.

Next games are big ones!!!!!
                          SLU

Comment

I just could not tell on that reviewed goal. At first I thought it was definitely in but then not. It was definitely not definitive. It was telling that the guys in the UND TV truck, who had better access to the replays than anyone, thought it was a no goal. I dont know if the officiating was poor or just tight. They did throw Tambeliini out early in the game for trying to take out Carey-- so it was not completely one-sided.

The better news, even though we "only" end up with a split, was that the team looked like it was firing on all cylinders. Wenninger looked really good. He was completely screened on the third goal. Good thing the D got it together because we really need at least a split with Clarkson.

Also worth noting that Justin Baker and Jeremy Wick played absolutely huge in both games. Patrick Doherty showed some incredible moves close in and his line coukd have easily had two to three more goals.

Also, Greg Carey did a really nice job with his between period interview. Good Hobey stuff. That and the UND announcers could not shut up about him. What I loved more than anything was the respect and the fear the UND announcers developed as the weekend wore on. No "EZAC" commentary likely to come out of Grand Forks anytime soon.

Does anyine know if this set is recipricol? Will UND be coming to Appleton? With the reallignment, they ought to. Got 6, any clue on that?
                            Last edited by bcarlisle; 12-01-2013, 10:18 AM.
                            St. Lawrence University
                            World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

The UND Audio guys said (after the review) that the puck apparently hit the center of the net and came out quickly. Whatever, I hope they got it right. Speaking of right, we played great out there and really dominated UND in the 3rd last night. Just need to carry that momentum over and finish this road trip over-.500.

I just get a sixth sense that this split at UND is going to be the springboard that propels the Saints on to great things this season and beyond. I hope it starts at Cheel.
                              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Working...
                              X