Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    Man these Clarkson announcers are ***** awful. Waaaa, waaaa, waaaa. How can Clarkson let those *********s announce their games.
    That was without question the worst reffed game I ever seen live in person. I thought at one point at the end of the game that it was some sort of joke. Two Clarkson goals (which ultimately lead to their win!) were 100% no goals. The first one I saw on replay several times on the two monster video review screens Cheel Arena conveniently places in two corners. Wenninger had that puck covered, no question that should have been overturned. As if that wasn't enough, the 5th Clarkson goal, which turned out to be the game winner, Wenninger was literally pushed out of the goal and grabbed and held by more than 1 Clarkson player. Not even as much as simple review on that one, despite Wenny's furious requests for one. Clearly at this point we were in for it. It's hard enough to have to contend with the Clarkson players to let alone have the refs physically handing them multiple goals. It was out of control and got even more out of control at the end of the game when a full out brawl broke out on multiple occasions on the ice. To add even more to the mystery, during the first brawl (which I would like to point out that it takes two to tango) the calls made ... Two, that's right TWO St. Lawrence players went to the box with penalties including a 5:00 minute gamer for Greg Carey. Clarkson penalties you ask? .... Zero .... Out of control officiating and completely and totally unacceptable. I honestly don't know if I have ever seen anything quite like it. The league NEEDS to take a long look at this one and I would be shocked if their isn't something done about it. From someone who was there in person, with a great view of it all, it was pretty obviously a screw job ... Shameful, just shameful!!!
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      I really hope we don't have Carey dressing in a suit tomorrow instead of hockey equipment, but if the league catches sight of the end of the game, that's likely where he'll be. Ugly.
      The league needs to take a look at that one for sure ... But for quite the opposite reason as you point out to here. That one was bad, obvious, blatant and out of control. God bless that crew if they are picked to ref the game tomorrow!!!

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
        The league needs to take a look at that one for sure ... But for quite the opposite reason as you point out to here. That one was bad, obvious, blatant and out of control. God bless that crew if they are picked to ref the game tomorrow!!!
        I agree with you here but I am sure Brandon was watching the video and listening to those Clarkson *********s announce the game whining about a spear, calling us undisciplined and bush league when it was Carey taking it at the front end of the brawl. The video didn't show the 5th goal so now I know why Wenny was so ****ed. I certainly didn't agree with Austin getting called for embellishment which gave them their first goal and I agree their second goal should not have counted.

Chip MacDonald and Whittemore are both awful. St. Lawrence was undisciplined but two were tangoing in that game and I saw plenty of BS from the dark side as well.

We could have won that game. Still there were some bad defensive lapses by SLU, bad discipline and terrible PK. The PP obviously was a bright spot.

Anyway, I said the same thing which is I am not sure Clarkson wants to send that tape in because they laid a beating on Carey at the start of that brawl that is every bit as worthy of supplemental discipline as anything for Carey. Small correction, Sexton got 2 and 10 at the end for his fun with Wick...same as Wick.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Tough game. The Saints just need to take a time out and clear their heads after this game. Frustrating for sure, but we can't fall into the frustration that Clarkson wants and hopes for. Deep breaths. Tomorrow is a different night and there will be different results. Keep your heads up guys and keep calm.
          SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            I agree with you here but I am sure Brandon was watching the video and listening to those Clarkson *********s announce the game whining about a spear, calling us undisciplined and bush league when it was Carey taking it at the front end of the brawl. The video didn't show the 5th goal so now I know why Wenny was so ****ed. I certainly didn't agree with Austin getting called for embellishment which gave them their first goal and I agree their second goal should not have counted.

Chip MacDonald and Whittemore are both awful. St. Lawrence was undisciplined but two were tangoing in that game and I saw plenty of BS from the dark side as well.

We could have won that game. Still there were some bad defensive lapses by SLU, bad discipline and terrible PK. The PP obviously was a bright spot.

Anyway, I said the same thing which is I am not sure Clarkson wants to send that tape in because they laid a beating on Carey at the start of that brawl that is every bit as worthy of supplemental discipline as anything for Carey. Small correction, Sexton got 2 and 10 at the end for his fun with Wick...same as Wick.
            I was indeed watching the video, but the Clarkson announcing crew was pretty comical.

Clarkson definitely deserved atleast a couple penalties in that brawl at the end, however Carey DID deserve a major there (although not sure for charging Lewis, he may have, but video didn't show that part.) He had his helmet pulled off by somebody, but the pitchforking he was doing is not just downright dangerous, but very stupid. I don't want him mixing it up without his helmet on anymore than the rest of us, but he should have just tried to skate out of there as best as possible. The reffing did seem suspect, however I won't blame the loss on that alone. We didn't play a smart game overall, especially on the road in a rivalry game. Too many stupid penalties, and either Clarkson is speedier than I thought, or we were outskated a good bit.

Gotta get back at it tomorrow. Hopefully the league swaps this crew with a crew in the capital district or something, because tomorrow could be filled with tension and carryover emotion from tonight.

Comment

Well, that escalated quickly.

Not sure about the officiating being as bad as you guys think. There were definitely missed calls (both ways), but they showed some postgame replays of the scrum goals that Clarkson scored that you guys are saying should've been disallowed, and they were both good. Puck was clearly visible and loose from the angles that were shown. The Josephs goal (and eventual game-winner) was unfortunately too crowded around Weininger and didn't follow the play quite well enough to show exactly how he got so out of position without being able to get back. I have to think someone got in his way or skated through him or something that made that happen, but it happened quickly and I couldn't say for sure. Refs probably missed that one.

The video that was shown live didn't capture the spearing by Carey that got the Clarkson announcer so upset. I have to assume it was pretty blatant for him to get that worked up - the Clarkson announcers are typically lauded as some of the best, least home-biased in the league by everyone. I'm not looking forward to listening to the SLU announcers tomorrow as they beg for penalties and whine every time one of your guys commits one, but hey, they get paid to appeal to SLU fans.

Your PP is outstanding. The Carey line is definitely the best I've seen this year and is probably the best line in the country right now. Tomorrow is going to be absolutely bananas and I think both teams will be lucky if they escape the weekend without a suspension.

Comment

I was indeed watching the video, but the Clarkson announcing crew was pretty comical.

Clarkson definitely deserved atleast a couple penalties in that brawl at the end, however Carey DID deserve a major there (although not sure for charging Lewis, he may have, but video didn't show that part.) He had his helmet pulled off by somebody, but the pitchforking he was doing is not just downright dangerous, but very stupid. I don't want him mixing it up without his helmet on anymore than the rest of us, but he should have just tried to skate out of there as best as possible. The reffing did seem suspect, however I won't blame the loss on that alone. We didn't play a smart game overall, especially on the road in a rivalry game. Too many stupid penalties, and either Clarkson is speedier than I thought, or we were outskated a good bit.

Gotta get back at it tomorrow. Hopefully the league swaps this crew with a crew in the capital district or something, because tomorrow could be filled with tension and carryover emotion from tonight.
                First........crap, Sh_t, ****, dang, poop, ugh, I just hate losing to Clarkson.
                Second, I didn't see or hear the game. Just got texts and tweets for updates. So can't really comment on anything.
                I agree with Tayt. Time for a time out, sit in the corner, catch your breath and get some composure. While our PP is awesome.....our PK is the opposite. A trend all year long has been too many trips to the box and then we can't kill the penalty off. Then throw in a heated rivalry and it sounds like we just lost our composure. Going into the weekend I was hoping at best for a split. That's still possible......the only difficulty is now all the pressure is on us and Clarkson will be free of any. We just need to play smart. Play safe, not retaliate, and STAY OUT OF THE BOX!!!!!
                SLU

Comment

It was very clear to me that not only was Carey trying to get back on his feet after getting pounded, he was trying to skate away with his stick but also Baker came in and initially looked like he was trying to get Carey out of there.

The Clarkson announcers just didn't shut up saying SLU was the only team throwing soup, was the only undisciplined team, and "we always lose to Clarkson because of it". They were biased, whiny, but most importantly wrong. Clarkson players took a few shots at Essery when as part of the normal play he ended up in the middle of the celebration after the first goal. There was plenty of cheap shots both ways. I wouldn't say the slash on Austin was the classiest of plays.

The last thing I am going to argue is the refs were awful and missed a bunch of calls. That is the standard of officiating in the ECAC. It is beyond ridiculous that they call Wick and Sexton for scuffling in the slot but only called Carey for penalties in the slot? Really? How the hell did Carey's helmet come off? I saw Baker get facemasked in the crease....hasn't someone been suspended for that this year in the ECAC.

A general comment, this stuff is more likely to happen if they schedule these games back to back. After the scrum, when the faceoff was in the SLU end, I have no idea why Carvy had Baker out there. I'd have put the toughest guys out there that we could afford to be out of the lineup. Baker is our leader on D and needed at both ends of the ice.

It was a **** show. It's time to settle down and play more disciplined. The BS after the whistle is not toughness. We can play tough....and example of that is Wick's hit in the 2nd or 3rd behind the net which I am surprised the kid got up from.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post

Not sure about the officiating being as bad as you guys think. There were definitely missed calls (both ways), but they showed some postgame replays of the scrum goals that Clarkson scored that you guys are saying should've been disallowed, and they were both good. Puck was clearly visible and loose from the angles that were shown. The Josephs goal (and eventual game-winner) was unfortunately too crowded around Weininger and didn't follow the play quite well enough to show exactly how he got so out of position without being able to get back. I have to think someone got in his way or skated through him or something that made that happen, but it happened quickly and I couldn't say for sure. Refs probably missed that one.

The video that was shown live didn't capture the spearing by Carey that got the Clarkson announcer so upset. I have to assume it was pretty blatant for him to get that worked up - the Clarkson announcers are typically lauded as some of the best, least home-biased in the league by everyone. I'm not looking forward to listening to the SLU announcers tomorrow as they beg for penalties and whine every time one of your guys commits one, but hey, they get paid to appeal to SLU fans.

Your PP is outstanding. The Carey line is definitely the best I've seen this year and is probably the best line in the country right now. Tomorrow is going to be absolutely bananas and I think both teams will be lucky if they escape the weekend without a suspension.
                    From past experiences I would not argue about your broadcast guys, but last night they were just absurd. What it showed more than anything else is that they have never played the game and they were just wrong in some of their comments. For example, they just wouldn't shut up about Clarkson taking a penalty that led to the 2nd goal because 30 seconds earlier, McGovern was offsides. I would wager 30% of the offsides calls are missed in this league every night. That's how bad the officiating is that they can't even get that one right. Even if he was (video did not show it), that has no impact on whether or not Clarkson committed a penalty. I mean, why not take it a step further and say the goals in the third period shouldn't count because there was an offsides in the first that led to a Saint PP and goal? At least our commentators nail the refs for missing all the obvious calls both ways. It was painful. They are homers and before they call SLU bush league for what happened in the last 30 seconds, how about taking a look in the mirror. Even the crap with Baker and Frederick at the end...did they see what happened? Not a classy move by the Clarkson player when both teams started to skate away after they dropped the puck.

What I do know for sure is that Clarkson committed more than a few penalties on Carey in that scrum at the end, that Wenninger who is an extremely calm and stable guy back there was the most animated I have ever seen him after the 5th goal so I am pretty sure there was something legitimate he was irate about and I think I believe the story of the Saints Fan above, and that on the 2nd goal while it is legal to be in the crease if the puck is, it is not legal to take unlimited whacks at the goalie and that more often than not in this league similar plays are a no-goal and a penalty to the attacking team. I do not believe any of these other than the 5th goal had a material impact on the outcome of the game.

What is clear is SLU needs a better PK, better goaltending with less juicy rebounds, more discipline and better defensive coverage from all five guys in their end. Ultimiately, that is why we lost and that's why where we need to improve to have success against the best teams in the league.

Final comment, Clarkson is better than I thought. They have better speed and skill than I believed they had. I don't think they have the offensive depth to win the league this year, but our defense last night made their offense look pretty good.

Comment

Pretty sure Josh Bartell is the radio guy. He played four years for Clarkson.
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post

It's always interesting to me how the opposing fans viewed the game. I saw it completely different from you, but I appreciate your opinion. However, I also saw the video replays on multiple occasions for the 2nd and 5th Clarkson goals and both should not have counted. It's unfortunate because we lost by one, but we need to switch the focus from what happened last night to regrouping for tonight. If we can come out and play the same game as we played last night for the first two periods, we will win. If we continue to make silly defensive lapses, turnovers and the lot that we did in the third, then we could be in for a long night. Let's turn it around tonight boys ... Defend your home ice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          Sooooo then we now have physical evidence that he is a homer?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            You are correct shabby. Unfortunately I did not listen or watch last knight so I cannot comment. I know though in listening to Bob and Josh that they are not as bad as Got6 has portrayed them. And I certainly am not about to get into a ****ing contest here about homer announcers.

I conclude once again with LGT LGT LGT (Lose Graciously Twice)
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Yes, Josh is from here(Rome,NY) the Clarkson pipeline Jim, Jeff,Ross, and Josh Bartell all played at Clarkson. Father Gary went to Colgate. I'm looking for Youtube or something similar to see the ending of last night's games and the goals. Can't find anything, any help ?

Would love to see tonight's game but we have Cornell at Lynah.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                                It's always interesting to me how the opposing fans viewed the game. I saw it completely different from you, but I appreciate your opinion. However, I also saw the video replays on multiple occasions for the 2nd and 5th Clarkson goals and both should not have counted. It's unfortunate because we lost by one, but we need to switch the focus from what happened last night to regrouping for tonight. If we can come out and play the same game as we played last night for the first two periods, we will win. If we continue to make silly defensive lapses, turnovers and the lot that we did in the third, then we could be in for a long night. Let's turn it around tonight boys ... Defend your home ice!!!
                                I think you guys definitely have a case on the 5th goal. Was the 2nd goal the one where Weiniger got pushed in to the net?

Comment

Working...
                                X